Would you have kept Marvin Lewis?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Bungles have had one of the most talented rosters in the NFL for the past few years and havent been able to do jack youknowwhat with it.

Good-great OL? Check
Franchise QB? check
WR? check..one of the top 2-3
TE? check, only Gronk is better
RBs? 2 very good ones

Very good defense all around? yep that too

My money is on a first round exit to some wild card team like the Texans.........again. Until Lewis proves he is a good coach so long as its not a game in prime time, we will see. Just got beaten by the crappy Texans and then the Cardinals...both prime time games.
I'll take four years of playoff exits over four years of top 15 picks

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
this comparison just isn't accurate unfortunately. Marvin Lewis had a far better record than fisher in the first four years and I don't believe that he had soul control over he bengals. Is Marvin Lewis a great coach? No. But fisher is a below average one.

FRO

Legend
Fisher really was dealt a pretty crap hand with this team to begin with. It was a large hole to dig out of, but he's had an opportunity to do so. I understand QB's and good offensive linemen don't grow on trees. That said, I really don't know if whoever made the decision to go into the season with what we have at those positions should be allowed to keep their job.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn, because I'm not the smartest arm chair scout out there, but I consistently said Foles was a below average QB who's mechanics were atrocious. I sure know I also bitched about the line/picks there that everyone remembers as well. I specifically remember saying that the line was so weak an injury to Saffold could be enough to derail the season, and that might just have actually happened.

I know I sound like a pompous dick, but if someone as dumb as me and many other fans could see the freaking massive disaster which is this offense a mile away before the season started, why couldn't the men in charge?
Read in one of the articles last week that Fisher was the one who really pushed the Foles trade. As a Bradford guy I hated the trade, but I also understood it and felt like they got good value. The biggest problem is the signing Foles before he played a game. That 14 million guaranteed is what really sucks.

FRO

Legend
this comparison just isn't accurate unfortunately. Marvin Lewis had a far better record than fisher in the first four years and I don't believe that he had soul control over he bengals. Is Marvin Lewis a great coach? No. But fisher is a below average one.
I think Lewis is a great coach. To coach a team to consistent playoff appearances for an extended period of time without fueds with front office types is great. His teams are balanced and after this year will have had 2 OCs get HC jobs. Should he get fired by the Bengals I would hire him in a second.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wasn't he 8-8 a bunch of years though? Not much better, but at least he had one good one. Also he isn't given the free reign on personnel Fisher has gotten. Let's not forget that detail.
Yeah, that's why I said it's close. I guess.

Looking for a precedent isn't going to do much in the way of predicting the future anyway. As I said, I think this situation is unique in that Kroenke and Fisher are closer than Kroenke and any other coach he may have had a hand bringing in. I mean, he didn't even meet with Spagnuolo from what I remember.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Lewis is a great coach. To coach a team to consistent playoff appearances for an extended period of time without fueds with front office types is great. His teams are balanced and after this year will have had 2 OCs get HC jobs. Should he get fired by the Bengals I would hire him in a second.
It's kind of weird isn't it? Fisher is praised nationally despite his below average record and Lewis is scrutinized despite being 108-90-2 in his career

FRO

Legend
Yeah, that's why I said it's close. I guess.

Looking for a precedent isn't going to do much in the way of predicting the future anyway. As I said, I think this situation is unique in that Kroenke and Fisher are closer than Kroenke and any other coach he may have had a hand bringing in. I mean, he didn't even meet with Spagnuolo from what I remember.
I'm not totally opposed to keeping Fisher as HC. The conditions will be he gets a new offensive coaching staff. He doesn't meddle in the offense. He has to give up his personnel authority. I'm thinking if I told him those things he would tell me where to stick my job.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher was 10-11-1 with a health Bradford at QB
Lewis was 13-9 with Palmer at QB is first 22 games

In 2013 the Rams were 3-3 before Bradford was hurt they finished 4-6 without him
In 2008 the Bengals were 0-4 before Palmer was hurt they finished 4-7-1 without him

Is that closer to a favorable comparison?
Not really lol. Bottom line is Lewis wins games and fisher doesn't. Keep in mind that the afc north was as tough as our division back then and arguably now from the 90's dating back to last year. This year was the kicker for me. There were no excuses. We were supposed to be a qb away and fisher went and got his qb. What does he have to show for it? A sub .500 season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not totally opposed to keeping Fisher as HC. The conditions will be he gets a new offensive coaching staff. He doesn't meddle in the offense. He has to give up his personnel authority. I'm thinking if I told him those things he would tell me where to stick my job.
I'm on the fence. Part of me likes continuity and stability.
The other part of me likes to see things burn.

FRO

Legend
It's kind of weird isn't it? Fisher is praised nationally despite his below average record and Lewis is scrutinized despite being 108-90-2 in his career
For real. I get so tired of media types and fan bases whinning about the lack of playoff wins. Heck I just want to be in the playoffs. Lewis may be this generation's Schottenhiemer. I would take that in a heartbeat though.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For real. I get so tired of media types and fan bases whinning about the lack of playoff wins. Heck I just want to be in the playoffs. Lewis may be this generation's Schottenhiemer. I would take that in a heartbeat though.
lol I'm with you. Playoff exits means you have something to build on. You're not constantly in limbo like we are. Besides, dalton is playing out of his mind this year. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if they were in the divisionals or afc title game this year.

FRO

Legend
I'm on the fence. Part of me likes continuity and stability.
The other part of me likes to see things burn.
If we finish 5-11 or 4-12 that would mean our record got worse every year in his tenure. You cannot reward that a 5th year. You just can't. 7-9 and above you may be able to rationalize it. I still would have major conditions.

His drafts usually seem good at the time. The only draft I hated at the time was the 2012 one and that was due to the second round. I wonder if we just don't know how to coach and develop offensive players like we can with defensive players, or we just can't evaluate offensive talent.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If fisher were to give up control of the offense and drafting then I'd be okay with giving him 2 more years. I need an offensive minded qb guru at offensive coordinator and a gm that picks draft prospects based on talent and not because they were "his guys".

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If we finish 5-11 or 4-12 that would mean our record got worse every year in his tenure. You cannot reward that a 5th year. You just can't. 7-9 and above you may be able to rationalize it. I still would have major conditions.

His drafts usually seem good at the time. The only draft I hated at the time was the 2012 one and that was due to the second round. I wonder if we just don't know how to coach and develop offensive players like we can with defensive players, or we just can't evaluate offensive talent.
1220.gif

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The funniest thing about fishers drafts is that he gets too cute in the later rounds. Think about this. How many of us wanted Keenan Allen at the end of the first, alshon Jeffery at 33 instead of quick, this offensive tackle or that Guard? They were common sense picks to us that fisher overlooked because he thought that he had his guys.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

My post above is literally a match with what you said at the bottom lol

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
If fisher were to give up control of the offense and drafting then I'd be okay with giving him 2 more years. I need an offensive minded qb guru at offensive coordinator and a gm that picks draft prospects based on talent and not because they were "his guys".

I don't think it would help. In fact I think it would cause some major in house problems. Kinda like it did in Tennessee. I mean one of the major reasons he agreed to come here was because he was told he'd have total control.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not at all. If you give Fisher a mulligan for the whole 2014 season and say this is really year 3, then they still don't compare because this is the worst season of all of them. He pushed for the Foles trade and it has been disastrous.
No mulligan his first 22 games with Bradford compared to Lewis' first 22 games with Palmer

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it would help. In fact I think it would cause some major in house problems. Kinda like it did in Tennessee. I mean one of the major reasons he agreed to come here was because he was told he'd have total control.
I know. Wishful thinking on my part. Lucky for him Tennessee hasn't gotten any better since he left or they'd look like geniuses.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
25+ years of new coaches, new city, new ineffective players I'm tired of the same old shit every 3-5 years dumping the garbage can and starting over. The only time we have had anything to cheer about was an accident because Green got hurt and opened the door for Warner and GSOT. I've been rooting for this team for nearly 45 years and its about damn time we had something stable and successful. This shit SUCKS!!!!!