Would you have kept Marvin Lewis?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Only when it doesn't fit your agenda
Or, it's just a bad comparison because it intentionally ignores when a guy did better than him and cherrypicks one of the few times he did bad to make the comparison. Their situations aren't remotely similar, as you've already attested he already had a good franchise QB while we didn't, and I'm sure you'll tell me they were far more complete than the Rams were. Hell, Fisher has as many losing seasons as a Rams coach as Lewis does in his career.

So a couple of down years=/=trying to pull a team out of the mire.

How are they comparable again besides that Marvin Lewis was a coach on the hot seat who had a couple of down years?

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
We lose Fisher, we lose this defense. Many of the players are gonna be FA and a new coach would want to bring their own players.

Fisher took over a shitty roster. He started building the Defense first. We can all agree that he has done an excellent job with that side of the ball. He DID NOT neglect the offense. He picked up Long, Wells, and Richardson to be 'stop gaps' while the D was getting built. Injuries derailed everything. Bradford and Long never had history of ACL tears. BOOM. Freak injuries 2 YEARS IN A ROW to both players. We lose the 2 most important positions on offense just like that. Remember when Amendola was looking promising?BOOM. He gets injured and we don't resign him back. Remember last year when it looked like Quick was starting to Blossom?BOOM. He suffers a potential career ending injury. Maybe Pead could show something his second year?BOOM. Another freak injury, ACL tear. People say 'well injuries happen we should have depth'. HELLO??! Its difficult to build an ENTIRE roster full of quality starters let alone DEPTH players in 3 YEARS! They would have had to hit on almost ALL of their draft picks which is improbable. 3 of our top 5 draft picks this year are injured, all on the o-line.

In other words, can WE CATCH A FREAKING BREAK WITH INJURIES ALREADY??

This team is being built through the draft which is the way to go. I see many talented players on this roster that were drafted or picked up as rookie FA by Snisher.

I DO NOT want to start over again! Let Fisher have his 5th year. 1 more good draft on the offensive side and this team will be READY for YEARS to come IMO!

GO RAMS!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marvin Lewis didn't have a losing season in his first 5 seasons. Now in his 4th year, Fisher may earn his 4th straight losing year.
Only 1 coach in the last 50 years kept his job after starting with 4 straight losing years.
How this is considered a parallel is beyond me.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Marvin Lewis didn't have a losing season in his first 5 seasons. Now in his 4th year, Fisher may earn his 4th straight losing year.
Only 1 coach in the last 50 years kept his job after starting with 4 straight losing years.
It's ok it is beyond a lot of people I just have a different perspective I guess.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is true. I think the comparison is that Lewis had just a shit ton of problems with that team early on - WAY moreso than what's happening here, and the Bengals' FO stuck with him even though he had one winning season in his first 6 years. And they continue to stick with him even though he's not advancing past the first round. Granted, I would LOVE it if this Rams team kept getting bounced after a wildcard game, but in an era where if you don't win it all, you're on a very short leash, they keep sticking with him in the name of continuity and faith.

My question is why couldn't Dick LeBeau get more than 2 seasons with that team? :(

WvuIN02

Starter
The Bengals have underperformed every year for the past several, and get bounced in the playoffs in years they're supposed to go far. Also let's address the elephant in the room while we're at it. The Bungles rise has paralleled the falloff of both the Steelers and Ravens....who they routinely lost to before age finally took its toll on both teams and they have had to rebuild.

And the thugs thing? They were guys Lewis drafted.

Until he wins something he's still just a guy, especially in that division

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or even .500 for that matter.
I disagree. Had Fisher had Lewis' record his first 4 years he would have a long rope.
Fisher was 10-11-1 with a health Bradford at QB
Lewis was 13-9 with Palmer at QB is first 22 games

In 2013 the Rams were 3-3 before Bradford was hurt they finished 4-6 without him
In 2008 the Bengals were 0-4 before Palmer was hurt they finished 4-7-1 without him

Is that closer to a favorable comparison?

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We lose Fisher, we lose this defense. Many of the players are gonna be FA and a new coach would want to bring their own players.

Fisher took over a crappy roster. He started building the Defense first. We can all agree that he has done an excellent job with that side of the ball. He DID NOT neglect the offense. He picked up Long, Wells, and Richardson to be 'stop gaps' while the D was getting built. Injuries derailed everything. Bradford and Long never had history of ACL tears. BOOM. Freak injuries 2 YEARS IN A ROW to both players. We lose the 2 most important positions on offense just like that. Remember when Amendola was looking promising?BOOM. He gets injured and we don't resign him back. Remember last year when it looked like Quick was starting to Blossom?BOOM. He suffers a potential career ending injury. Maybe Pead could show something his second year?BOOM. Another freak injury, ACL tear. People say 'well injuries happen we should have depth'. HELLO??! Its difficult to build an ENTIRE roster full of quality starters let alone DEPTH players in 3 YEARS! They would have had to hit on almost ALL of their draft picks which is improbable. 3 of our top 5 draft picks this year are injured, all on the o-line.

In other words, can WE CATCH A FREAKING BREAK WITH INJURIES ALREADY??

This team is being built through the draft which is the way to go. I see many talented players on this roster that were drafted or picked up as rookie FA by Snisher.

I DO NOT want to start over again! Let Fisher have his 5th year. 1 more good draft on the offensive side and this team will be READY for YEARS to come IMO!

GO RAMS!!

BOOM! That was very rational, but people these days don't believe in being rational.

FRO

Legend
Fisher was 10-11-1 with a health Bradford at QB
Lewis was 13-9 with Palmer at QB is first 22 games

In 2013 the Rams were 3-3 before Bradford was hurt they finished 4-6 without him
In 2008 the Bengals were 0-4 before Palmer was hurt they finished 4-7-1 without him

Is that closer to a favorable comparison?
Not at all. If you give Fisher a mulligan for the whole 2014 season and say this is really year 3, then they still don't compare because this is the worst season of all of them. He pushed for the Foles trade and it has been disastrous.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I was listening to 101 espn and they said that no head coach in the super bowl era has gotten a fifth year after having no winning seasons in his first four. Why should Fisher be the first? I'm sorry guys but he will finish this year, his 21st as a head coach, with only six winning years. Six. We have two decades of body of work to judge with Fisher. Comparing him now to Lewis as a first time head coach doesn't make sense to me.

I'm all for stability with organizations. It's clear the best ones in the NFL have that from the top down. But the thing is they find the right guy first and then keep him around. They don't keep around guys who don't get the job done. Four seasons is plenty of time to show some improvement with a team. Most coaches don't get that. This team will never be a perennial playoff contender under Fisher. If you can't see that then I can't help you. I like Fisher but four straight losing seasons and still seeing the same mistakes compounded with an offense that has gotten worse, it's time to go.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is true. I think the comparison is that Lewis had just a crap ton of problems with that team early on - WAY moreso than what's happening here, and the Bengals' FO stuck with him even though he had one winning season in his first 6 years. And they continue to stick with him even though he's not advancing past the first round. Granted, I would LOVE it if this Rams team kept getting bounced after a wildcard game, but in an era where if you don't win it all, you're on a very short leash, they keep sticking with him in the name of continuity and faith.

My question is why couldn't Dick LeBeau get more than 2 seasons with that team? :(
I thought Lebeau was one of those interim guys who won a couple games and got a contract extension.
Cincy was the epitome of bad back then for sure.
With a broken down Jon Kitna they went from 2-14 to 8-8 then 11-5. That's gonna buy a coach a good bit of time.
That said, I was shocked with all the arrests and non winning that Lewis kept his job.
And if he loses in the first round of the playoffs again this year he'll be on the hot seat again.
Had the losing and arrests occurred in his first 4 years I'd imagine the outcome would have been different.
I'd like to come up with an example of a coach in a similar start and just can't.

WvuIN02

Starter
The Bungles have had one of the most talented rosters in the NFL for the past few years and havent been able to do jack youknowwhat with it.

Good-great OL? Check
Franchise QB? check
WR? check..one of the top 2-3
TE? check, only Gronk is better
RBs? 2 very good ones

Very good defense all around? yep that too

My money is on a first round exit to some wild card team like the Texans.........again. Until Lewis proves he is a good coach so long as its not a game in prime time, we will see. Just got beaten by the crappy Texans and then the Cardinals...both prime time games.

FRO

Legend
BOOM! That was very rational, but people these days don't believe in being rational.
On the flip side defensive players may have lost faith in Fisher to turn the offense around and may not want to stick it out with poor offensive play. Works both ways. I do know money talks.

FRO

Legend
The Bungles have had one of the most talented rosters in the NFL for the past few years and havent been able to do jack youknowwhat with it.

Good-great OL? Check
Franchise QB? check
WR? check..one of the top 2-3
TE? check, only Gronk is better
RBs? 2 very good ones

Very good defense all around? yep that too

My money is on a first round exit to some wild card team like the Texans.........again. Until Lewis proves he is a good coach so long as its not a game in prime time, we will see. Just got beaten by the crappy Texans and then the Cardinals...both prime time games.
I would give my left testicle to have that problem. We haven't had a winning season since George W Bush's first term. There are kids in 6th grade that have never experienced a winning season. I would take Marty Schottenhiemer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I thought Lebeau was one of those interim guys who won a couple games and got a contract extension.
Cincy was the epitome of bad back then for sure.
With a broken down Jon Kitna they went from 2-14 to 8-8 then 11-5. That's gonna buy a coach a good bit of time.
That said, I was shocked with all the arrests and non winning that Lewis kept his job.
And if he loses in the first round of the playoffs again this year he'll be on the hot seat again.
Had the losing and arrests occurred in his first 4 years I'd imagine the outcome would have been different.
I'd like to come up with an example of a coach in a similar start and just can't.
Jason Garrett didn't have a winning season until year 4 1/2. I guess that's close.
And now he's tanking again. I guess we'll have to see what Jerruh does with him in year 6.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If Lewis hadn't hit .500 in four years, absolutely. But he didn't actually lose until the 5th year so it's not really relevant.

WvuIN02

Starter
In Lewis' defense in the early years people forget Mike Brown was numero uno when it came to deciding personnel.....things massively changed for that team as a roster when football people started deciding the football roster once the owner started letting people do their jobs. Funny how that works. You have Kraft and the Rooneys vs the Jerruh's and Mike Browns......no surprise which approach is more successful!

FRO

Legend
Jason Garrett didn't have a winning season until year 4 1/2. I guess that's close.
And now he's tanking again. I guess we'll have to see what Jerruh does with him in year 6.
Wasn't he 8-8 a bunch of years though? Not much better, but at least he had one good one. Also he isn't given the free reign on personnel Fisher has gotten. Let's not forget that detail.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Fisher really was dealt a pretty shit hand with this team to begin with. It was a large hole to dig out of, but he's had an opportunity to do so. I understand QB's and good offensive linemen don't grow on trees. That said, I really don't know if whoever made the decision to go into the season with what we have at those positions should be allowed to keep their job.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn, because I'm not the smartest arm chair scout out there, but I consistently said Foles was a below average QB who's mechanics were atrocious. I sure know I also bitched about the line/picks there that everyone remembers as well. I specifically remember saying that the line was so weak an injury to Saffold could be enough to derail the season, and that might just have actually happened.

I know I sound like a pompous dick, but if someone as dumb as me and many other fans could see the fucking massive disaster which is this offense a mile away before the season started, why couldn't the men in charge?