Why didn't Cam Newton fight for that fumble?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
No, it's not. He didn't grow up preparing himself to do press conferences one day. He's a football player. His job is to play football. Marshawn Lynch was bad with the media...and yet it never stopped him from being successful on the field. Look at the way Bill Belichick acts. Doesn't stop him from being a successful coach.

He's a professional football player. As long as he's producing on the field, no Panther fan cares how he acts towards the media.

No, I didn't. I was angry, said things I didn't mean, and then stormed off. Later on, when I got my emotions in check, I was able to shake hands and accept it. Which is why I'd handle a situation like Newton's terribly. I wouldn't have the patience to sit there and be asked a bunch of stupid questions after a devastating loss.

Hell, look at how this place reacts when the Rams lose. Go pull a vent thread up. A lot of people don't take losing well.

And I don't agree with you. Being a leader or a champion has nothing to do with that sort of thing. Being a leader is all about your ability to reach people, motivate them, and get the best out of them. Do you think any of Newton's teammates care after that loss that he walked out of a press conference? I don't think so. And it won't stop them from hearing his message or being motivated by him.

And being a champion is purely based on your ability to win. Newton would have been the same person today if he had won that he was when he lost. But if they won, he would have been a champion. How he handled the media press conference certainly didn't have any effect on the outcome of the game.

It is part of the job and teams prepare their players for the media. How they deal with the media is a personal choice. Plus Cam has never seen a camera he didn't love. He pussed out this time because he lost. Can has never been shy in the past it just didn't fit his agenda for the day.

Your second point: He had time to get his emotions in check. He had gone to the locker room, change etc. it's not like he was pulled out of the players tunnel and asked to face the media. He had probably the same amount of time you had to get his emotions in check.

3rd point: Did he reach anyone at that press conference? Did he reach or motivate anyone? A leader gets in front of the camera and sucks it up for his teammates. He does it so they don't have to. It's exactly how a leader leads how can you say it has nothing to do with that sort of thing?

Your taking a literal approach here when you ask if it effected the game. You know what I am talking about and it's insulting when you pose it that way. Leaders lead in many ways. Being front and center and allowing your teammates not have to field these same questions is what leaders do. Now instead teammates are going have to answer questions about Newtons behavior......not what a leader does.

How hard is it to say, we got beat today but we will be back and better. Crap I would be thinking that right after the game. It's not even a lie, of course he thinks he is going back.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Next year, the first time we play the Seahawks, Todd Gurley runs for 300 yards and 5 TDs. However, he skips the press conferences after the game. Are you pissed at him for not performing his job?

you and i both know gurley will answer any question thrown his way honestly and without attitude. that's why everyone loves him.

That all said, Cam Newton was available for the press conference. He went to the press conference. He spoke at the press conference. I don't care how he "performs" at the press conference. His job is to play football. That is what he's paid for. The Panthers do not employ him because he's great at speaking at press conferences. They employ him because he's a great QB.

i'm pretty sure the panthers will have a word with him about his performance at the press conference. the way he acts has direct correlation to the panthers organisation.

Complete double standard. We can be pissed off and "sore losers" but if Newton is the same way, he's in the wrong. Completely unrealistic. He did act like a professional today. He walked onto that field and got his ass kicked for four quarters by the Denver defense while trying to help his team win. That's all the professional he needs to be to be on my team.(excluding illegal acts)

not a double standard at all. i said he can act however he likes in the locker room after the game. when he fronts the microphones i'm betting the team would expect him to be more professional about it.

I don't think he cares. If there's one thing he's made crystal clear, he doesn't care about the public's perception of him. He's going to be who he is. And I respect him for that. If people can't accept that, screw them.

i'm betting he does care and the next time he's in the same situation again he won't act like such a douche.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is part of the job and teams prepare their players for the media. How they deal with the media is a personal choice. Plus Cam has never seen a camera he didn't love. He pussed out this time because he lost. Can has never been shy in the past it just didn't fit his agenda for the day.

Your second point: He had time to get his emotions in check. He had gone to the locker room, change etc. it's not like he was pulled out of the players tunnel and asked to face the media. He had probably the same amount of time you had to get his emotions in check.

3rd point: Did he reach anyone at that press conference? Did he reach or motivate anyone? A leader gets in front of the camera and sucks it up for his teammates. He does it so they don't have to. It's exactly how a leader leads how can you say it has nothing to do with that sort of thing?

Your taking a literal approach here when you ask if it effected the game. You know what I am talking about and it's insulting when you pose it that way. Leaders lead in many ways. Being front and center and allowing your teammates not have to field these same questions is what leaders do. Now instead teammates are going have to answer questions about Newtons behavior......not what a leader does.

How hard is it to say, we got beat today but we will be back and better. Crap I would be thinking that right after the game. It's not even a lie, of course he thinks he is going back.

No, he didn't have time. This place is still pissed about the Rams losing hours after it happened. And none of us played in the game.

He didn't need to reach or motivate anyone at the press conference. The season is over. His teammates don't care about the press conference.

If teammates are answering questions about Newton's behavior, they're not getting questioned about the loss...

How hard is it do that? Very difficult when you just lost a game that meant a lot to you. Josh Norman was crying. It's not easy to sit there and answer a bunch of pointless questions after getting kicked in the nuts like that. I'm not going to judge a person for handling it poorly.

This is the Super Bowl. It's not a normal game. You never know when you'll get another chance. And you didn't just let yourself down, you let down your teammates. Guys like Thomas Davis, Jared Allen, Charles Tillman, Cortland Finnegan, etc. that may not have another chance to win a Super Bowl.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you and i both know gurley will answer any question thrown his way honestly and without attitude. that's why everyone loves him.

Not answering the question. Would you care? I doubt it. Because we care about how our players play football. Not how good they are in front of the camera.

i'm pretty sure the panthers will have a word with him about his performance at the press conference. the way he acts has direct correlation to the panthers organisation.

Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. But they won't do anything about it. Because they pay Newton to win football games. Not speak at press conferences. And he got them to the Super Bowl while winning a MVP award. He did his job this year. Nobody will care about some press conference when it comes time to negotiate a new deal.

not a double standard at all. i said he can act however he likes in the locker room after the game. when he fronts the microphones i'm betting the team would expect him to be more professional about it.

Easy to say. None of us are obligated to sit in the media and answer stupid questions after games. I certainly would not have had "classy" things to say after the Bears loss this year.

i'm betting he does care and the next time he's in the same situation again he won't act like such a douche.

I don't think it's a priority. Of the million things that he'll wish he could have done differently today, I think that press conference is probably right about last.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
No, he didn't have time. This place is still pissed about the Rams losing hours after it happened. And none of us played in the game.

He didn't need to reach or motivate anyone at the press conference. The season is over. His teammates don't care about the press conference.

If teammates are answering questions about Newton's behavior, they're not getting questioned about the loss...

How hard is it do that? Very difficult when you just lost a game that meant a lot to you. Josh Norman was crying. It's not easy to sit there and answer a bunch of pointless questions after getting kicked in the nuts like that. I'm not going to judge a person for handling it poorly.

This is the Super Bowl. It's not a normal game. You never know when you'll get another chance. And you didn't just let yourself down, you let down your teammates. Guys like Thomas Davis, Jared Allen, Charles Tillman, Cortland Finnegan, etc. that may not have another chance to win a Super Bowl.

Your comparing Cam and ROD?! Lol.

Kidding aside, I think when we are talking about leadership your looking at it in a vacuum. He needed to represent the team today. He is the face of the franchise and not a reluctant face either. As the leader you lead by example at all times. Yes there will be mistakes and I think today was one of them and as said I think he will learn from it.

We know the questions are pointless but it's part of the gig. So what if Josh Norman was crying. You can cry in front of the cameras and still be classy, there not mutually exclusive.

I think his teammates care more than you think by the way. Again Newton represents the team like any leader or CEO.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Cams mom put it best in her pre game text to her son

Wish I could post the link but I'm on my cell phone because there is some more too it

You win with your character and the words you speak

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

here's what he can expect to hear every time he loses now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cam-ne...-sulk-in-poor-postgame-showing-070021525.html

Cam Newton goes from Superman to Incredible Sulk in poor postgame showing

By Eric Adelson1 hour agoYahoo Sports

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Cam Newton's teammate, center Ryan Kalil, had just finished telling reporters, "We didn't keep our composure" when the quarterback slouched in to the media area.

There was no poofball hat, no Louboutin loafers, no dabbing, no megawatt grin. Just a hoodie pulled high and a chin slung low. He was still in his sod-besotted game pants.

The regular-season MVP sat down, sighed, looked down, and then mumbled a few short answers to unassuming questions. A microphone was adjusted, pulled closer to his face, but Newton sat back in his chair. He peered out from under his hoodie as he spoke, his shoulders slumped and his words barely audible. Superman had morphed into the Incredible Sulk.

He was asked whether head coach Ron Rivera said anything in the locker room.

"He said a lot of things," Newton droned.

He was asked if Denver did anything special to take away his running lanes.

"Nothing different."

He was asked if he could put his disappointment into words.

"We lost."

Finally he was asked about how difficult this defeat was for his team.

He stood up and left.

It was Newton's version of "The Decision," an image self-sabotage that hurt him and the league. It was more unsightly than his performance on the field, worse than the split-second when he failed to jump onto a loose ball he had fumbled in the fourth quarter of a 24-10 loss to Denver.

Newton was supposed to be big enough for any moment. Instead, on Super Bowl Sunday, he was steamrolled by a moment he created.

He has never taken losing well, and he's not alone in that. He sulked at his locker after losses as a rookie, and he sulked at his locker in December after his team's lone regular-season defeat in Atlanta. That doesn't undo all the good – the winning, the handing footballs to kids, the excitement he has stirred around the world. But in a postseason when Blair Walsh can take every postgame question about his on-field failure with aplomb, the newest football supernova can and should do better. He gave some credit to the Broncos – "They just played better than us" was the first thing he said – but Newton has always wanted attention and that means dealing with attention during more than the happy times. Leadership is not a sometimes thing or even a most-of-the-time thing.

There's plenty of blame to go around for this loss. The offensive line didn't block, the receivers didn't catch, the running game never picked up speed. Most of all, the Panthers faced an incredible defense. But Newton sets the tone for this team and he didn't set it when it mattered most. He was overexcited from before the game – even many of his pregame practice throws were high – and he didn't settle down. Rookie wide receiver Devin Funchess said it best: "Things were going crazy, haywire. You have to have controlled energy, and it wasn't controlled out there."

Unfair or not, a lot of this is on Newton. He calmed the waters all season, all throughout the playoffs, but didn't in the Super Bowl. He certainly didn't do it after the game, even if he did make sure to congratulate Peyton Manning on the field.

The Panthers' locker room was silent after Newton returned from the media area. Many of the offensive players lined up against the wall, standing next to each other, saying little as they waited to walk to the bus. Tight end Greg Olsen stood next to offensive coordinator Mike Shula, and the two of them spoke somewhat animatedly. At one point Shula turned his palms skyward and shrugged.

There was no answer to Denver, not for Shula or Olsen or Kalil.

"We were just off on some things," Shula had said. Asked why, he said, "I'm not sure."

The Panthers knew Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware were coming. Shula said there was nothing on the field that they didn't see on tape. Of course, a championship defense that stifled theNew England Patriots is going to present problems, but the best players figure it out. Newton didn't.

That doesn't mean he never will. He is 26 and already an MVP who was playing in the Super Bowl. This is the beginning, not the end. Counting Newton out now is like counting LeBron James out after his first NBA Finals loss to Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs. But wearing an S on your chest during pregame means you expect to do superhuman things, and the label didn't fit during the game or afterward.

The hatred will pour in now, and it filled up social media even before Newton changed out of his uniform. All the labels Newton warded off – "selfish," "arrogant," "petulant" – will come rushing back at him like Miller and Ware did. A lot of the gleeful backlash will say more about the accusers than it will about Newton, but more of it will come and more of it will stick.

He doesn't care what the outside world says, but it may be time for him to care a little bit more. He's more than the star quarterback of an upstart team now; he'll be on prime-time TV a lot next season. He will be pressured on and off the field to a new extent, and everyone will be looking to see if the sulk returns. That "everyone" might include some coaches and teammates.

Newton walked out into the night on Sunday with his headphones on. He stared straight ahead. All of his teammates had boarded the buses and waited on him and Josh Norman before leaving. One fan yelled for him, but he didn't hear and didn't respond. He boarded the bus and said nothing to anyone. He sat down in the front row and looked down at his phone.

He made so much noise all season, and in the end there was just silence.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
It is too bad that Cam isn't handling this better but he will get better with maturity. I did expect him to be better at throwing the ball than what he showed in this game! He was terrible and should be upset at himself.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
watching it live it looked he just pussed it and said nope..

after the pounding he took all game it looked like he was a little gun shy to dive in there after the ball which is bullshit.. it's the fucking superbowl. You got all off season to heal.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hell, look at how this place reacts when the Rams lose. Go pull a vent thread up. A lot of people don't take losing well.
None of us are responsible for the appearance of a multi-million dollar Organization. Nor are we self-appointed role models for kids like he is. You can frame this however you like, but Newton is wrong. He's all too willing to field meaningless questions after a win, and probably would have been in front of the cameras in a $10k suit sporting a $100k smile if they won the SB. Probably would have dabbed a few times too.

But when they lose he gets to pout and show his ass? Nice. I'm sure all those kids who look up to him have a better understanding of how to handle competition now. Be a showboat and the center of attention when your team wins, and screw everybody when your team loses. Nice message. But I guess all will be made right when he hands another football over to an 11 year old next year. Because that's what it's all about really.

Last edited:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
^^^Precisely. Had they won he'd likely still be talking...and dabbing.

Can't buy class.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Cam is going to get a lot of heat for this game and deservedly so, but I hope everyone gives him a chance at redemption. I don't believe his story is fully written.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cam is going to get a lot of heat for this game and deservedly so, but I hope everyone gives him a chance at redemption. I don't believe his story is fully written.
+1

He'll be a star for a very long time, and that presser in no way defines him. I've always said he needs to mature and learn some humility to accompany his massive ego. That's really the only thing he needs to become one of the game's greats. Everything else is already there.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My guess is Cam had huge $ on the Broncos winning.

And speaking of dabbing... I was dabbing non stop while watching that game last night. My dab game is strong.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Losing hurts. And putting cameras in a guy's face immediately after the biggest loss of his life is a tough ask.

But being a roll model is tough. Kids look to guys like Cam at all times - not just good times.

I'm sure that on hindsight, he wishes he would have done it better.

Still, if the NFL wants to promote their players as roll models, they could give a little more breathing room for guys to decompress before the cameras roll.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Cam is immature. Period. Does that loss hurt? Of course it does. Pouting about it afterwards just makes it worse IMO. Just a bad look. He will be back I am sure, and I hope he learns from it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
None of us are responsible for the appearance of a multi-million dollar Organization. Nor are we self-appointed role models for kids like he is. You can frame this however you like, but Newton is wrong. He's all too willing to field meaningless questions after a win, and probably would have been in front of the cameras in a $10k suit sporting a $100k smile if they won the SB. Probably would have dabbed a few times too.

But when they lose he gets to pout and show his ass? Nice. I'm sure all those kids who look up to him have a better understanding of how to handle competition now. Be a showboat and the center of attention when your team wins, and screw everybody when your team loses. Nice message. But I guess all will be made right when he hands another football over to an 11 year old next year. Because that's what it's all about really.

It's the job of the parents to raise kids and instill values and morals in them...not Cam Newton's job.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
There have been 49 other Superbowl losing QBs how many of them acted and represented the league as poorly? He gets no slack from me, he acted like a spoiled brat and should be getting his ass kicked for it. It is about manning up, he should have learned that lesson when he was 8. Win with poise and lose with grace.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
A few things. First, I would like to hear Cam's explanation of the play, and I will accept whatever he says. Second, him leaving the interview just shows he still has some flaws, so to speak. If Cam wants to "talk the talk" he better "walk the walk." He will learn from this and hopefully be better for it. We've all made mistakes, unfortunately ours are not laid out in the national spotlight. I get what both sides are saying, but I'm not going to judge him based on just this one instance/game. The only thing stopping him from being truly great could be his ego. One thing I think might have helped the situation was the Panthers media person talking to him before his post-game interview session and tell him to just answer the questions the best you can and get through it. Yesterday's game, etc. is a part of the growing pains of being a superstar.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'm with Jrry
His ego is just fine and it's not getting in the way of anything -- the dude was in the freakin' SUPER BOWL and had the opportunity for that final victorius drive but that defense was just on another level yesteday

In regards to the fumble I thought at first he wasn't going for it but if you slow it down he is watching it and dives in at the perfect time and actually has it for a second before is squirts out - how can people come down on him for a few milliseconds on decision making

Can Newton didn't have his best game, and I fully understand why a guy wired like that is so down on himself -- but it's not wrong

Saying Cam was "wrong" is lame - what cause he didn't act like you would? Cause you're so frickin noble - come on

In fairness - I always look to Warner and how he reacts after wins and losses but Cam isn't Warner

But Cam is a showman and they just lost the ring

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Look, I like Cam. I think the kid has alot of great football years ahead of him and even the potential to be a legend. I love the way he has fun with the game. Dabbin, dancin, and giving kids footballs is great! I support him 100%

But as a role model he did not handle this right. Most of us wouldn't handle ourselves well in that situation. Our vent thread proves that much. But most of us aren't glorified role models for young kids. He is held to a higher standard.

Cam needs to realize his greater role beyond being a football player. He is an inspiration for kids growing up watching him just like he grew up watching Peyton. He needs to show good sportsmanship and act right after the loss. Hiding your head and sulking in front of everyone is not good sportsmanship. Anyone who plays any sport should learn how to lose. It's part of the job.

That being said, he is young, and can still learn from how he handled things. It wasn't character tarnishing behavior either. I mean worse character exists in the NFL (Greg Hardy anyone?). He can learn, but next time he is in the situation he needs to handle it better.

Still love him as a player though! He is talented. Oh, and uh I don't think he purposefully didn't go after that fumble.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Agreed and I think what is frustrating for some NFL fans, myself included is that I thought he was past some of the maturity issues he has had in the past. He has a long bright future though, no doubt.