Why didn't Cam Newton fight for that fumble?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No, what he did was confirm the bad perceptions some have of him. If you're going to wear the #1, then act like the #1. If you're going to smile wide when you win, at least take the heat when you lose. If you're going to do the Superman pose in the end zone, don't pout when somebody yanks the cape off. What I saw in that press conference? A self centered, egotistical, immature, spoiled athlete who can't take the heat in negative situations. I didn't expect him to come in smiling, laughing, taking the attitude "it's all good". I didn't expect the pouty, immature behavior either. There's a word for guys like that. Losers. And that from the MVP of the league? Disgusting.

Since when is being upset over a SB loss pouty and immature? Cam is no where near a loser, either. He answered his questions, got frustrated and left.

Also, what does his # have anything to do with it? Now you're just reaching for things to throw at him. He wears #1 b/c he was picked first and Jimmy Clausen had his college #. It's that simple.

Cam Newton is just simply upset, frustrated after a SUPER BOWL loss. There is nothing wrong with that. What is disgusting is the shit that is thrown his way.

Again, Marshall Faulk said it best: It's not right that he left, but it's understandable and he'll learn from this. He doesn't deserve all this extra bullshit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes I did.
And I stopped caring about all the counter-arguments regarding my opinion about 2 minutes ago.

X, my friend, you compared apples to oranges. I agreed that it wasn't exclusive but comparing a coach who takes an actual role in a kid's life to a player who the kid has never met is a bit of a stretch. When that coach takes his job, he's taking on that responsibility. Newton didn't agree to that sort of thing. Why is it reasonable for us to expect that Newton conform to our expectations in the way he acts? Because he's a role model? He never agreed to be a role model. He never agreed to take a role in showing your kids what sportsmanship is. He simply is playing a game he loves. Cam Newton can be a poor sportsman and it won't effect your kid if you teach him right from wrong (and have other adults such as coaches who are actually involved in his life who do the same). Which is why I continue to say that you can't blame a guy like Newton when it would have been the parents fault.

It's not like Newton is working with your kid every day and actively working to undermine what your teaching him. He has no involvement in their lives beyond being on TV. It would be like blaming Kanye West if your kid loves rap and ends up being an arrogant jackass. ;)

IMO, as a parent, the responsibility falls on you. I'm sure my brother and I saw poor role models in sports growing up. But whenever we showed poor sportsmanship, our parents were always there to correct us. I remember after striking out in baseball, my brother was frustrated at the umpire and threw his bat against the fence as he was walking back to the dugout. My dad sprinted into the dugout, pulled him out of the game, chewed him out, made him watch the rest of the game from the stands, and then made him apologize to his teammates, coaches, and the umpires.

Maybe he learned that behavior from watching pro baseball players...but all it took was one time for him to learn to never do it again. Because our parents got involved.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
tumblr_lsevm0mr2H1qbgx8ao4_250.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
X, my friend, you compared apples to oranges. I agreed that it wasn't exclusive but comparing a coach who takes an actual role in a kid's life to a player who the kid has never met is a bit of a stretch. When that coach takes his job, he's taking on that responsibility. Newton didn't agree to that sort of thing. Why is it reasonable for us to expect that Newton conform to our expectations in the way he acts? Because he's a role model? He never agreed to be a role model. He never agreed to take a role in showing your kids what sportsmanship is. He simply is playing a game he loves. Cam Newton can be a poor sportsman and it won't effect your kid if you teach him right from wrong (and have other adults such as coaches who are actually involved in his life who do the same). Which is why I continue to say that you can't blame a guy like Newton when it would have been the parents fault.

It's not like Newton is working with your kid every day and actively working to undermine what your teaching him. He has no involvement in their lives beyond being on TV. It would be like blaming Kanye West if your kid loves rap and ends up being an arrogant jackass. ;)

IMO, as a parent, the responsibility falls on you. I'm sure my brother and I saw poor role models in sports growing up. But whenever we showed poor sportsmanship, our parents were always there to correct us. I remember after striking out in baseball, my brother was frustrated at the umpire and threw his bat against the fence as he was walking back to the dugout. My dad sprinted into the dugout, pulled him out of the game, chewed him out, made him watch the rest of the game from the stands, and then made him apologize to his teammates, coaches, and the umpires.

Maybe he learned that behavior from watching pro baseball players...but all it took was one time for him to learn to never do it again. Because our parents got involved.
K.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
His comment today was basically: Didn't like what I said ??? Tough shit, get over it...Classy to the end...What a POS...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Back to the OP, Cam said that the angle he was at, could have caused injury to himself. His words: Cam: "I don't dive on 1 fumble because the way my leg was-- it could have been (contorted) in a way. OK, you say my effort. I didn't dive down. I fumbled. That's fine. But we didn't lose that game because of that fumble. I can tell you that"

I say they couldn't win, if they didn't recover it. They had a chance if they did. The Panthers, not just Cam.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

BTW, what do Steve Young and Neon Deion know about losing SBs?

Marshall Faulk called that out Sunday. Both Deion and Michael Irvin do not know what Cam and Marshall back in 2001 were feeling. And the former 2? 2 of the biggest showoffs in league history, more so than Cam.

I don't think Marshall really gets along with Deion and Michael IMO.

Debacled

Starter
Want to be the best and the face of the NFL? Don't act like that in an interview.....ever. Shoulda gave an interview like Josh Norman did and nobody would be talking about it.

Anyways back to the fumble. This was the super bowl man, don't give us some load about QBs not running guys down when they throw picks. I watched a freakin nearly 40 year old Peyton Manning at least attempt to track down a 275 LB defensive end when he threw a pick. Got knocked on his ass by a teammate, but hey at least he TRIED.

Could have contorted his knee? More like sprained his ego.

Angry Ram

Want to be the best and the face of the NFL? Don't act like that in an interview.....ever. Shoulda gave an interview like Josh Norman did and nobody would be talking about it.

Anyways back to the fumble. This was the super bowl man, don't give us some load about QBs not running guys down when they throw picks. I watched a freakin nearly 40 year old Peyton Manning at least attempt to track down a 275 LB defensive end when he threw a pick. Got knocked on his ass by a teammate, but hey at least he TRIED.

Could have contorted his knee? More like sprained his ego.

Watch the play again. He went after it. He was on the ground.