What's the deal with Barrett Jones?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think that B. Jones might need another year of pro development, and getting his body right. It sounds as if he has made some major improvements in the strength area, but the problem is, he was really behind the curve in the first place, add the injury, and he is probably right where he should be....fighting for a roster spot. that's not a bad thing, that means the talent level has really risen on the OL. I like the versatility that he could bring, but Joseph is a beast, sounds like Bond is coming on, we plan on starting our rookie first rounder at Guard, and Saffold played at a Pro Bowl level at Guard last year.

It takes some guys longer to adjust to the NFL, and some guys just can't make that leap. I am not saying that about him at this point, but his roster spot could be in jeopardy. I want the best players to play, so he needs to get on the field, and he needs to win a spot. I hope he can play this preseason, so that we can all see what he can do.

On a side note, I thought Barnes played OK last year, and he should be better this year, if he has to play.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Well Jones is gonna be cut I would assume. Barnes has a good work ethic and can be serviceable if Wells gets hurt.

I don't think he'll be cut. I think that there are 7 safe (Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale, Joseph, and Barnes) but it's probably likely they keep 8 or 9. I'd guess that Jones would be in the hunt for one of those last two spots.

Alan

Legend
GreeneCounty jumping the gun:
Well Jones is gonna be cut I would assume. Barnes has a good work ethic and can be serviceable if Wells gets hurt.
I seriously doubt that's gonna happen. Wells is fragile and Barnes is the only other option at C besides Rhaney (who has almost zero chance of making the final 53). Jones will be one of the 53 IMO.
TGZ suffering growing pains:
I wasn't really talking about just this board, but you are correct.
I came from The Huddle and I still sometimes get confused as to who said what on which board. I've made that same mistake here myself. I'm not bitching at you for saying that, I'm just pointing out that if it sounds stupid and doesn't make much sense it probably didn't come from the ROD.;)

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Hope Jones plays as well as the awards he got in college says he should. Like the Mizzou grad as the backup center! :sneaky:

Rambition

Rookie
as a few others have mentioned, i think that jones hasn't been the disappointment to the coaching staff that he seems to have become to some fans, to the point some are calling him a bust. the rams knew he would need significant time to recover from his foot injury, and that has proven to the be the case. meanwhile, the staff seems pleased with his workout efforts and the results he's gotten in getting bigger and stronger. i can't say how they view he progress on the field to this point, but at least i haven't heard anything negative in that regard. he needs to keep making progress, and if he does, i think the rams will hang on to him for at least this season and through next camp and preseason. i personally think he's going to be at least a solid backup center for us.

i think tim barnes is going to be a serviceable, if not spectacular center, who figures to have the inside track at replacing wells. barnes has acquitted himself reasonably well under fire.