What's the deal with Barrett Jones?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
flv reading my mind or being just like we both are:
Thought - typing - research - spellchecking. It's a 10-15 minute process for some of us.
Not a surprise to see the 2 'anal' 'old-farts' rushing to check up on the history of Ovaltine. :LOL::rolleyes:
I was going to say much the same thing and the only thing that stopped me was my wife telling me to get in the car because it was time to go to my doctor's appointment. Every word you said in your post describes me and my situation perfectly.:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
You'll probably beat me the next time. :snicker: :cheers:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
At this point, Barnes and his real gametime experience and his role on special teams makes him far more valuable than Jones.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, if we keep 9 OL, we've got locks:

- Long
- Robinson
- Wells
- Saffold
- Barksdale
- Joseph
- Barnes

That's 7 guys who are almost totally likely to make the team. Seems like after that you'd need 1 tackle and 1 interior guy; might the last OL spot on the 53 come down to two battles:

Jones vs. Bond vs. Rhaney
Person vs. Hooey vs. Van Dyk

?

Crazy to me. But hell, that's a pretty deep line.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm extremely disappointed with Barrett's progress. I was excited once we drafted him. I thought at best we had a starting center or left guard and at worst a 3 position backup and first lineman off the bench. It looks like Barnes has surpassed Jones. I've also read encouraging things about Rhaney...I think they'll give him until next year.
Barnes hasn't surpassed Jones at all. The fact is he has been ahead of him from the start. To me, the accurate statement here would be that Jones hasn't caught up to Barnes.

Jones to this point is still the weakest physically of any of the OL. For all the talk of his reshaped body he still had the weakest punch and isn't moving well enough (be it lingering effects of the foot injury or not).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know why you would say Jones upside is tremendous. He simply does not have the physical gifts to ever be "tremendous."
Bond? He could be a difference maker... Massive.. Long arms and strong. He seems to be showing up in camp.

At Center, that doesn't tend to matter that much. Jeff Saturday was not an extremely physically gifted player. Center is more about intelligence and technique. Although you do need to have a requisite amount of strength and that was something Barrett needed to improve on coming into the NFL.

PolarBear

Rookie
At this point Jones should be considered a major disappointment and a likely bust. If he were drafted a couple rounds later, he would've been cut already. At this point, imo, I think its safe to say he is NOT our center of the future and instead I am just hoping he can be a solid backup at og/c. Next year, I want the Rams to spend an early round pick on a mauling center to draft Wells replacement, Robinson-Bond-draft pick-Saffold Barksdale.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
At this point Jones should be considered a major disappointment and a likely bust. If he were drafted a couple rounds later, he would've been cut already. At this point, imo, I think its safe to say he is NOT our center of the future and instead I am just hoping he can be a solid backup at og/c. Next year, I want the Rams to spend an early round pick on a mauling center to draft Wells replacement, Robinson-Bond-draft pick-Saffold Barksdale.

Could not disagree more. He's a 4th rounder, who didn't even get a chance to play last year because of an injury that the team knew about when they drafted him.

I think it's a little too early to say he deserves to be cut.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Sounds like we might need to address the OC position next year... Barnes is okay but in our div we need to be a tad better w/ those def!!

lockdnram21

Legend
If people. Haven't noticed. Alabama. Makes players look better then they really are. There has only been two players i can think of that translated. Well in nfl. Julio. Jones and lacy

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If people. Haven't noticed. Alabama. Makes players look better then they really are. There has only been two players i can think of that translated. Well in nfl. Julio. Jones and lacy

Marcell Dareus, Andre Smith, and Evan Mathis are three of the better players in the league at their respective positions. Don't write off Mark Barron and Trent Richardson either.

Alabama has a very good track record of producing quality NFL talent. Of course when you have 8+ players drafted every year there will be a lot of busts because of the nature of the business.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well, according to our resident camp reports, Bond and Barnes are doing some good things. Barnes got some valuable exp late last season too. It may be too early to write off Barrett but it's not the end of the world if he needs another year. We've got some kids eager and ready to step in.

RamWoodie

Legend
There is no "deal" with Barrett Jones. Take it for what it is! Did you see Barnes play center in the absence of Wells last year?

Jones is the 3rd center and possibly trade bait. Barnes saw an opportunity and made the best of it!

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
You're new here and so you haven't read that many of our threads so it's understandable that you will make some statements not based on facts. I'd wait a little bit before I started making sweeping statements about the other posters on this board. ;)

I have been talking about Jones for two years now and I've yet to say anything positive about his performances or his long term chances of being a quality player in the NFL. I have said positive things about his potential and that is based on his play in college. Many other posters here also share my hopes that he'll eventually become the player we thought we'd drafted. While my negative views about Jones are not in the majority on this board, I'm certainly not standing by myself.

I would not be the least bit surprised if Barnes beats out Jones again and I've said that before. As for "so many" of us being quick to write off Barnes, perhaps that has something to do with all the negative things written about his performance in TC. I'm not happy with either of them but it's early and I'm not writing either of them off yet.

OC is an area of concern for many of us here.

I wasn't really talking about just this board, but you are correct. I shouldn't use such sweeping generalities.

I know there are Rams fans that saw Alabama offensive lineman and set higher expectations than are maybe realistic. Not you persay or any one individual here, but I have friends who just assumed he would be great because he was on Bama's o-line.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Well Jones is gonna be cut I would assume. Barnes has a good work ethic and can be serviceable if Wells gets hurt.