What's the deal with Barrett Jones?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I keep reading that he's struggling/hurt/out the past couple of practices, and he's my Rams "mancrush" (along with Harkey). Can anyone tell me what exactly is up with him? Is it health, or performance, or something else?

Seemed early on like he was looking good and taking 1st-team reps at C more often than not.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I keep reading that he's struggling/hurt/out the past couple of practices, and he's my Rams "mancrush" (along with Harkey). Can anyone tell me what exactly is up with him? Is it health, or performance, or something else?

Seemed early on like he was looking good and taking 1st-team reps at C more often than not.

I know he might be your "mancrush", but I think you might have misinterpreted his role with the 1st unit. He was merely ROTATING days with Barnes, in Wells' absence. He hasn't been seen there since they put pads on. I have not heard one word as to what his "ailment" might be. But I do find it strange, that he has not even been on the sideline since his last practice a week ago today. That includes Saturday at the Dome.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know he might be your "mancrush", but I think you might have misinterpreted his role with the 1st unit. He was merely ROTATING days with Barnes, in Wells' absence. He hasn't been seen there since they put pads on. I have not heard one word as to what his "ailment" might be. But I do find it strange, that he has not even been on the sideline since his last practice a week ago today. That includes Saturday at the Dome.
I didn't expect him to be a 1st teamer, but to be near the top of the list of guys competing for first interior guy off the bench. Thought he was competing with Barnes to be the primary backup center and maybe even with Joseph to be the primary backup guard.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He was overrated by many Rams fans. Being highly honored in college means nothing at the pro level.

I bet his foot is not 100%. LisFranc injuries linger for years.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I didn't expect him to be a 1st teamer, but to be near the top of the list of guys competing for first interior guy off the bench. Thought he was competing with Barnes to be the primary backup center and maybe even with Joseph to be the primary backup guard.

doubtful..... at this point, it appears Joseph is firmly entrenched as the backup (if not more) at RG, with Travis Bond getting almost every rep at RG with the 2nd unit.

With Barnes ability to play Guard as well, Jones' best bet is to get on the field and find a way to compete for the Center spot. Also keep in mind, Barnes is a mainstay on the Kickoff Return team as well as the FG/XP team. He dressed in all 16 games last year, starting 4 at Center. To think he is not in a good position compared to Jones would be wishful thinking.

fearsomefour

Legend
My concern here is his foot. Those injuries are hard to come back from. It's a numbers game. I certainly would not give up on Jones.
Good to see the depth with Joseph and Bonds.
No way Joseph unseats Saffold given his pay. It does allow the team to not feel the need to rush Long back however.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
doubtful..... at this point, it appears Joseph is firmly entrenched as the backup (if not more) at RG, with Travis Bond getting almost every rep at RG with the 2nd unit.

With Barnes ability to play Guard as well, Jones' best bet is to get on the field and find a way to compete for the Center spot. Also keep in mind, Barnes is a mainstay on the Kickoff Return team as well as the FG/XP team. He dressed in all 16 games last year, starting 4 at Center. To think he is not in a good position compared to Jones would be wishful thinking.
Bond has been a revelation of sorts, and I think if anyone is impacting Jones from a competition standpoint it's him. I hope to see Jones come back from whatever nagging injury is bothering him strong; if he's who I think he could be, his ability and versatility are very nice.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I keep telling you guys but you won't listen....Barrett Jones was drafted so he could do everybody's taxes, not actually play football.
:)

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I'm also a B.Jones hopeful. The center position is worrisome. The over/under of games Wells will actually be healthy and play is probably, what, 4? And even when he's in there he's limited physically. I was unimpressed with Barnes' try out last season so if he or Jones have not upped their game it will limit the offense. Bring on Rhaney I guess.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I'm also a B.Jones hopeful. The center position is worrisome. The over/under of games Wells will actually be healthy and play is probably, what, 4? And even when he's in there he's limited physically. I was unimpressed with Barnes' try out last season so if he or Jones have not upped their game it will limit the offense. Bring on Rhaney I guess.

I don't know what to make of Barnes yet. A lot of NFL centers have needed some time to fully develop. Barnes has been thrust into action due to Wells injuries and has looked overwhelmed at times. But he could develop into a good player. The position leans much more to the mental side of the game than any other position on the line, so it can take awhile to see what you have.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I don't know why so many people are quick to write off Tim Barnes, yet everyone seems to love Barrett Jones.

I won't be the least bit surprised when Barnes beats out Jones again.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I think the real question is what's the deal with Ovaltine?

Why do they call it Ovaltine?
The jar is round.
The mug is round.
Why don't they call it Roundtine?

Who's with me?

Alan

Legend
TGZ missing many of our conversations:
I don't know why so many people are quick to write off Tim Barnes, yet everyone seems to love Barrett Jones.

You're new here and so you haven't read that many of our threads so it's understandable that you will make some statements not based on facts. I'd wait a little bit before I started making sweeping statements about the other posters on this board. ;)

I have been talking about Jones for two years now and I've yet to say anything positive about his performances or his long term chances of being a quality player in the NFL. I have said positive things about his potential and that is based on his play in college. Many other posters here also share my hopes that he'll eventually become the player we thought we'd drafted. While my negative views about Jones are not in the majority on this board, I'm certainly not standing by myself.

I would not be the least bit surprised if Barnes beats out Jones again and I've said that before. As for "so many" of us being quick to write off Barnes, perhaps that has something to do with all the negative things written about his performance in TC. I'm not happy with either of them but it's early and I'm not writing either of them off yet.

OC is an area of concern for many of us here.

Alan

Legend
MerlinJones wondering why Ovomaltine was changed to Ovaltine:
I think the real question is what's the deal with Ovaltine?

Why do they call it Ovaltine?
The jar is round.
The mug is round.
Why don't they call it Roundtine?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovaltine
Ovomaltine was exported to Britain in 1909; a misspelling of the name on the trademark registration application led to the name being shortened to Ovaltine in English-speaking markets.
I blame it on malt haters.

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

I don't write off Barnes. I like Barnes. I also like Jones a lot. Mostly, it's a question of upside - the guy was one of the most consistently productive offensive linemen in the toughest division in college. Had he not had his foot injury, he would likely have been a late 1st- early 2nd-round pick. I felt, at the time, that he was a great pick as long as they expected him to redshirt his rookie year, and had penciled him in as a big-time contributor to the offensive line in 2014 and beyond.

Jones's upside is tremendous. Barnes's upside is harder to gauge. I like both, but I get more excited about the potential of a fully-healed Barrett Jones playing pretty much anywhere on the line.

If his injury woes are keeping him back, and he DX's us, I'll be quite disappointed.

I also am a bit taken aback because the early reports on him in the offseason and during the first week or so of camp were very good to excellent.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I'm extremely disappointed with Barrett's progress. I was excited once we drafted him. I thought at best we had a starting center or left guard and at worst a 3 position backup and first lineman off the bench. It looks like Barnes has surpassed Jones. I've also read encouraging things about Rhaney...I think they'll give him until next year.

Dick84

I don't write off Barnes. I like Barnes. I also like Jones a lot. Mostly, it's a question of upside - the guy was one of the most consistently productive offensive linemen in the toughest division in college. Had he not had his foot injury, he would likely have been a late 1st- early 2nd-round pick. I felt, at the time, that he was a great pick as long as they expected him to redshirt his rookie year, and had penciled him in as a big-time contributor to the offensive line in 2014 and beyond.

Jones's upside is tremendous. Barnes's upside is harder to gauge. I like both, but I get more excited about the potential of a fully-healed Barrett Jones playing pretty much anywhere on the line.

If his injury woes are keeping him back, and he DX's us, I'll be quite disappointed.

I also am a bit taken aback because the early reports on him in the offseason and during the first week or so of camp were very good to excellent.

I don't know why you would say Jones upside is tremendous. He simply does not have the physical gifts to ever be "tremendous."
Bond? He could be a difference maker... Massive.. Long arms and strong. He seems to be showing up in camp.