What Steelers Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Pittsburgh's offense is currently ranked:
#1 in yards/game at 458.5
#1 in yards/play at 7.8
#2 in 3rd down conversion at 52 %
#3 in points/game at 32

Considering that we know at what level our D is capable of playing....I'd say our offense is the unit that's going to have to step up. Point being that in all likely hood even if our D shows up strong, there will be points put on the board by Pittsburgh. It's up to Foles and co to be ready to come out with some firepower mentality of their own.

JMO

RamzFanz

Damnit
#1 in yards/play at 7.8
#3 in points/game at 32

Considering that we know at what level our D is capable of playing....I'd say our offense is the unit that's going to have to step up. Point being that in all likely hood even if our D shows up strong, there will be points put on the board by Pittsburgh. It's up to Foles and co to be ready to come out with some firepower mentality of their own.

JMO

A) Your new avatar...awesome.

B) It's up to Cigi and Fisher to let it go and not play conservative when the game is not in hand. Foles ain't scared. Use whatever you have to keep him safe, send Britt, Quick, and Austin out there, and light them up. Rams CAN do it. Will they? Sadly, I'm 40/60 on a B Quick start and a coaching mentality that big guns will have to be responded to in kind.

THIS is NOT a must win like next week so get Quick in there and let the ball fly if we need to! It's Gurley time! Let's see what we have! Get Quick some goddamned reps for god's sake before we are buried in the NFCW next week. Seahawks are winning this week. Either Niners pull themselves up and Cards down or the Cards are the distant leaders.

I'm not as worries about the win as much as the Rams preparing for next week with a vengeance.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Time of possession and being able to run the ball effectively will be crucial for the Rams. Keep converting on 3rd downs and sustaining long drives will go a long way in beating Pittsburgh. The less time the Steelers have the ball the better, especially if the defense from week 1 shows up.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A) Your new avatar...awesome.

B) It's up to Cigi and Fisher to let it go and not play conservative when the game is not in hand. Foles ain't scared. Use whatever you have to keep him safe, send Britt, Quick, and Austin out there, and light them up. Rams CAN do it. Will they? Sadly, I'm 40/60 on a B Quick start and a coaching mentality that big guns will have to be responded to in kind.

THIS is NOT a must win like next week so get Quick in there and let the ball fly if we need to! It's Gurley time! Let's see what we have! Get Quick some goddamned reps for god's sake before we are buried in the NFCW next week. Seahawks are winning this week. Either Niners pull themselves up and Cards down or the Cards are the distant leaders.

I'm not as worries about the win as much as the Rams preparing for next week with a vengeance.
I agree, particularly in this matchup. In a shootout eventually someone's defense makes a play, or the special teams. The Steelers are probably going to to get their points. 24, 27, 30 points. Our defense and special teams are better than theirs.
Ciggy needs a potent gameplan that like you said won't sit on their hands and play field position. Hopefully Fisher sees this as well.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree, particularly in this matchup. In a shootout eventually someone's defense makes a play, or the special teams. The Steelers are probably going to to get their points. 24, 27, 30 points. Our defense and special teams are better than theirs.
Ciggy needs a potent gameplan that like you said won't sit on their hands and play field position. Hopefully Fisher sees this as well.

Dude, yes, the only real solid weakness the Steelers have is their secondary. If we don't go after that like Bill Clinton after an intern, we are screwed. We won't run on them without a passing attack. They WILL score many times. They need to get the cigar often.

Field position? Yes please. Clock management? LOL, no, I'm kidding... Time of possession? Yes please. Defense all over Big Ben? Better be. Will we win? No way. Not with that. We need guns ablazin' and we need our potential stars. We don't win with the starters from the last two weeks as good as they may be.

Steelers are not a complete team, they have weaknesses, but they are an elite team.

I don't even care at all if we win or not. It's not even relevant to me. If the Rams can't show aggressiveness in coaching and an air attack and get Gurley and Quick in the game for MANY reps, we can't beat the Cards...and we MUST beat the Cards.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
...and we MUST beat the Cards.
Cannot lose that game. Even if the Rams drop one to Pittsburgh a win over AZ puts us in a great position despite being 2-2.
@ Green Bay
Cleveland
San Fran
@ Minnesota
Chicago

RamzFanz

Damnit
Cannot lose that game. Even if the Rams drop one to Pittsburgh a win over AZ puts us in a great position despite being 2-2.
@ Green Bay
Cleveland
San Fran
@ Minnesota
Chicago

Yep. I can only hope that the Rams see that. The Cards MUST go down and that means having Gurley and Quick game start ready with a lot of snaps this game, FINALLY. If Fisher screws the Rams out of this by being conservative, I'm jumping on the Fisher is an 8-8 coach bandwagon and taking the reins. This entire season may very well hinge on the Cards in their house and we can't start taking risks then, we need to take them now.

In all honesty, I'd rather start Gurley and Quick this week and lose them both for the season than not prepare them for the Cards. If we don't win against the Cards, we aren't going anywhere, who do we think we are kidding? We NEED 2-3 and TWO NFCW wins before the bye to go to the playoffs. There isn't a single easy win in the NFCW or a single team who couldn't take it. Even the dumpster fire Niners are gaming.

You not only have to pick your battles, you have to be prepared to win the battles you pick. This week is not the battle, next week is and we have to be 100% and no fear.

1-4 and the Cards have a huge lead and tiebreaker advantage? Nope. Can't be allowed. You risk everything, prepare everything, throw everything, to prevent that. Screw the fears or risks. You go all in and that means reps THIS week for all possible top players.

If Fisher doesn't start Quick and Gurley this week and loses next week or plays his kneel it at the half bullshit...

I will have to take a break from ROD to avoid being banished.

The odds of this team at this point losing in Green Bay week 5 are about 99.99%. Time to plan ahead for taking what we must have now.

Last edited:

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I believe that running the ball is critical this week to keep the ball out of Pittsburgh's hands. The Rams can't beat them in a shootout. The thing about that though is that yes--the Steelers are weak in the secondary. They can be hit for big plays--and the Rams have to take those shots. But even with that--they have to run the ball, control the clock. They've been getting killed in time of possession. You don't want to keep giving the Steelers the ball. So yes--they have to control the ball--but look for those deep shots. They should have a few opportunities for those.

Defensively I don't know what to say. Stuff the run and get to Ben and cover the screens. They have a lot to cover. Biggest challenge for the defense this year.

It won't be easy but if the Rams come to play, play smart and can establish some kind of a ground game they can win it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
#1 in yards/play at 7.8
#3 in points/game at 32

JMO
So your saying there's a chance?

@RamzFanz , you're killing me! stop it....

Hey, I feel ya about Quick...Gurley too...And those damn Cards...We actually need this game as well...Players need it...Coaches need it...Fanz need this.....

Watched that game again...Second half...Couple of key points..17 - 10 and we have the ball, run a reverse to Givens...Geez, what a call...Another play, Westbrooks gets good penetration, Fairley in on a sack, the NEXT play, he jumps offsides...GEEZ!!!! They convert the 3rd....Last key play...3rd and 8, Williams has the 3 linemen formation in the game. Blitzes TJ....puts Ogletree on that TE Reed...BAM, 20+ yard gain...Leading to the clinching TD. GEEZ!!!!
Coaching, players, and key packages need to come focused. They will. We play well after terrible losses.
Still want some personnel changes...That 3 TE set killed us....Joyner is a lil player. Ayers can save our season. Barron is earning his money....Williams better recognize this...They can help us beat the Steelers...DL just needs a few players behind them...Ogletree, TJ Mac, Tru, JJ and______ are not enough....
We can shut Pitt down, but we need to make some serious changes....Same issues I saw in preseason and against Giants last year are still here...Defensively.

Offense needs Foles on target...And a different runner...Our running game was waking up in the second half...I like Mason, but would rather see Gurley with those 2nd half touches

WvuIN02

Starter
To me there is one key to this game, and it will decide the game.

The Rams MUST fix the run defense issues....30th in the league is embarassing. The Steelers took a has been RB who is 2nd in the league in rushing behind a very good OL, and are bringing back the best back from last year to replace him. Big Ben never gets the respect he deserves (its always Brady Manning Rodgers Brees etc), but the guy led the league in passing last year (well tied with Brees) and after Manning's sudden dropoff is probably now the best playaction passer in the game. If their running game starts gashing the DL like Wash did last week? You will see PA bombs hitting some very fast receivers over the top and this game will get out of control in a hurry. If they are forced into 2nd and 3rd and long I think the DL will start to feast but this is a Todd Haley offense and he is notorious for getting Bell lined up vs linebackers.

Whoever has that unenviable job better be ready because those dumb offs to Le'veon turn into big big gains...he had over 80 receptions last year. The Rams will face their toughest defensive challenge of the entire season this week in my opinion. Their secondary is trash however, and if Foles can start hitting Austin deep and that timing gets fixed it can open up the run game....because you can expect a Steelers defense to be very focused on the run game this week because they wont respect Foles and this offense to go deep.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
You want to talk about one of the most annoying fanbases? Steelers. I almost fought one last time we played them, and I never look for trouble.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I'm in a texting war with my son right now---he's a Steelers fan. It kinda went like this:

Me: Hey--Rams and Steelers game is televised locally this week!

Him: Steelers are always on television.

Me: Yes--but now you'll get to see them against their likely Superbowl opponent.

Him: They already played in the Superbowl in the 70s. How'd that work out?

Me: I don't watch the History channel...I'm more into THIS year's championship. GO RAMS!!!!

Him: Gotta beat the Redskins first.

Me: They were resting that game. Didn't want to show the Steelers anything. This week they come outta the phone booth wearing the red cape. Rams: 35 Steelers: 10

Him: Lol. Ok, we'll see about that.

Anyway---that's how it went. Hopefully I didn't go too far. I gotta live with the consequences.

Come on Rams---prove me right!!!!!!!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
#1 in yards/play at 7.8
#3 in points/game at 32

JMO

They have some serious weapons and BR is still a top flight QB..........oh and Haley is IMO an excellent OC. Our defense is going to have to play better than they did against SEA to keep the Steelers from putting up 30.

This could be a high scoring game, they have defensive issues so if the O plays like it did week one it could be another game where both teams are over 30 points.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what I understand from Steelers fans, when they go deep, it's typically a go route. We might want to change up our defense a bit this week.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/44683-Rams

Rams

The Redskins ran the p!$$ out of the ball against the Rams today....we get Le'Veon Bell back and Deangelo Williams is playing well....if our D can fly around and hit people next week like they did today, I like our chances.
-------
Yep I agree, if we block their front 7 I could see another blowout.
-------
This is a scary game.

Coming off a win and going on the road against a team who lost to a bad team the week prior is a scary thing.
-------
I don't believe the rams are a good team - however I believe Fisher is a good coach. They will be prepared.

Having said that, I just don't know how anyone can plan for all the weapons Ben has at his disposal. If they load up to stop the run - Ben slings it around. if they drop back to defend the pass we run the crap out of it. One of the things I took away from watching the game at Heinz today - is how in complete control Ben is with the offense. He knows exactly what is going on.

I think the rams will see a healthy dose of bell to help him into game shape - but unless we simply play poorly, stopping this offense will be a tough task.

wasn't it just 2 years ago everyone was calling for haley's head?

he has quietly built the most explosive and dynamic offense we've likely ever seen here. we have a 12 year vet franchise QB surrounded by young talent. We have transitioned our defense into a very very young defense. It will continue to improve.

The last few years have been frustrating - but I believe we are on the verge of another great run. The steelers surrounded Ben with playmakers for the last years of his career. we have been spoiled in the past with great football - i think there's more of it on the way for several years to come.
-------
I had the rams Defense on my draftkings.....
banghead.gif

--------
The quarterbacks were the difference, IMO.

Cousins: 23/27, 203 yds, 1 TD, 0 INTs, an 85% completion percent and 7.5 YPA
Foles: 17/32, 150 yds, 1TD, 0 INTs, a 53% completion percentage and 4.7 YPA

Cousins' high percentage probably kept drives alive while Foles' low percentage probably produced a lot of 3 and outs or 6 and outs which limits your scoring opportunities.
--------
The Rams still have one of the best front seven in all of football, though. Robert Quinn and Chris Long at DE. Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, and Nick Fairley at DT. James Laurinaitis, Alec Ogletree, and Akeem Ayers at LB. Our OL is going to have it's hands full trying to block these guys in a loud dome.

When talking about how dynamic and explosive our offense has become, guys like Ben, Brown, Bell, Bryant, etc. have gotten tons of credit, but this offensive renaissance has coincided with Mike Munchak's arrival. Ben was quite comfortable back there today...he could throw checkdowns or intermediate routes, but also had the time to take multiple chances deep with great success, because he was clean all day. Le'Veon Bell is able to be patient because our OL is able to open holes, and they have shown that in the last couple of games with DeAngelo in there.
--------
That front seven is nasty and I'm sure they'll be smarting after a bad loss. Not too worried about the dome, though - they had 21,000 empty seats for their home opener against their division rival and defending NFC champions.

The towels will be out in full force on Sunday.
--------
Aaron Donald vs. David DeCastro and Robert Quinn vs. Kelvin Beachum are two huge matchups for us.

I'm curious to see how Brandon Scherff and Trent Williams did vs. Donald and Quinn, respectively, yesterday.
--------
The Redskins ran 37 times for 182 yards, but Donald graded out insanely well on Pro Football Focus. All Rams linement graded well, except Quinn.
-------
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-surrounding-the-steelers-heading-into-week-3

The nuts and bolts surrounding the Steelers heading into Week 3
By Steel-Gator on Sep 24, 2015

usa-today-8775668.0.jpg

When it comes to the Pittsburgh Steelers, there is plenty to be happy about, especially after their 43-18 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Week 2. However, will they be able to duplicate such success against the St. Louis Rams this Sunday? We take a look back, and a look ahead at what to expect from the black and gold in Week 3.

Looking ahead

Getting their first win on the road

The Steelers aim for their first road win of the young season in St. Louis against a Rams team that has shown plenty of both good and bad. Last year, the Rams finished at 6-10, giving up over 30 points in 7 of those losses. In defense of their defense, though, the offense actually gave up 7 touchdowns over the year and special teams two more. They've shown flashes of outright dominance as well, beating Denver 22-7 and shutting out Oakland and Washington, 52-0 and 24-0 respectively.

The common thought is that last year's Rams were held back by woeful play from backup QB's, and there's some truth to that. The Rams offense had some big games as well, but overall was a handicap. More than just giving opponents short fields, the Rams offense was plagued with bad turnovers, giving up 8 defensive touchdowns on interceptions and fumble returns to go with two special teams touchdowns given up.

They were 0-7 when giving up a defensive or special teams score, and would've been 3-4 in those games if not for those touchdowns given up. Conversely, the 2014 Rams were 6-3 when they didn't give up defensive or special teams touchdowns.

The bad news for Rams fans is that backup QB's Shaun Hill and Austin Davis aren't solely to blame. Davis completed 63 percent of his passes for 2,000 yards with 12 touchdowns and 9 interceptions in 8 starts in 2014. Shaun Hill completed 63 percent of his passes also, for 1,657 yards, 8 touchdowns, and 7 interceptions in his 8 starts. Those numbers aren't good, but add them up and they're not that different from Sam Bradford's production, typified by 60 percent completions for 3,700 yards 21 touchdowns and 13 interceptions en route to a 7-9 record when he started all 16 games in 2012.

Worse, they're not too different from Nick Foles, the ostensible savior of the team, whose 60 percent completion rate, 2,163 yards and 13 touchdowns to 10 interceptions in 8 starts in 2014 makes him look right at home in a Rams uniform. Rams fans hope Foles' spectacular 2013 production can be duplicated in St. Louis, but until proven otherwise Foles is the quarterback he was when he was last on the field, and that is not a very good one.

Todd Gurley was drafted as a dynamic RB to take pressure off of Foles, but he has still not returned from injury and is unlikely to impact this Sunday's game. All this basically means the Rams are not really improved offensively from last year, or the years before when they were equally bad, at least not yet.

That brings us to this year, and so far we've seen more of the same: good Rams and bad Rams. The Rams looked solid in a 34-31 defeat of Seattle despite giving up touchdowns on a punt return and an fumble return (maybe their offense should participate in tackling drills?).

The Rams looked feeble in a 24-10 loss to the Redskins that was 24-0 already at the end of the first half. Foles has yet to throw an interception this year, looking in that regard much more like his highly efficient 2013 self more than the turnover prone 2014 self. However, Foles was responsible for the fumble returned for a touchdown by Seattle.

It's tough to know what to expect from such a Jekyll and Hyde opponent. The Rams have effectively contained quarterbacks like Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, and Tony Romo, and been shredded by Colin Kaepernick and Eli Manning.

This year already they've held Marshawn Lynch to 73 yards (24 yards coming on one play), and given up 123 yards and 2 touchdowns to rookie 3rd rounder Matt Jones. The Rams defense can shut down both run and pass, and they can be victimized by both run and pass.

What this suggests to me is that the Rams success is very game plan driven rather than personnel driven. If it were personnel driven you would have a clear trend of beating worse teams and losing to better teams, a clear map of where their strengths and weakness are according to what matchups they succeed or struggle in. We don't have that.

Thus, it seems that it's more about guessing right or guessing wrong. If Fisher is able to take his opponent by surprise with an effective game plan that matches up well with what his opponent is trying to do, the Rams look great. If Fisher guesses wrong, and is taken by surprise, they look pretty awful.

What that means for the Steelers is that they have a better chance than most teams. Part of that is obviously because they are better than most teams. The other part is that the Steelers are tremendously balanced, at least offensively. That makes them really hard to game plan for and gives them the option of adjusting effectively on the fly even if they do encounter an effective defensive game plan. Don't forget about the defense either.

The most constant feature in Rams wins and losses is that they have a real tendency to give up big defensive plays. The Steelers have collected some dynamic playmakers on defense that are capable of playing takeaway and making the most of takeaways. An individual that should not be overlooked in this capacity is actually the veteran "Big Play" Willie Gay who had 3 touchdowns last year and 1 the year before.

Beware the "trap game"

This week has "trap game" written all over it, but fortunately the Steelers have Denver's shocking loss to St. Louis last year to remind them not to take this team lightly. They also have the advantage of being by far the better team, and Le'Veon Bell at least will not be playing on cruise control in his first game back from suspension. The Steelers should win this game fairly easily.
---------
My fear. ...
My only fear is that Ben tries to force the ball to Bell in his first game back. I think the prudent thing to do is split carries with DWill, even though it’ll be hard to keep Bell off of the field. I know he’s chomping at the bit to play, but if the Rams are smart they will be keying on him. AB cannot be covered, so we need to play this one smart, instead of from the heart. Thank you for reading my post. Go Stillers!
---------
Deep pass may not be there
Due to the solid D-line of St. Louis. However, we can play the short game as well.

I have not see that defense play. However, even if they put heat on Ben they had better get there. I think this is the type of game that Wheaton and Miller can shine. St. Louis will try to take away Brown and Bell but others will step up. DHB will also have another 3-4 catches in this game.

It would not be good to force the ball to Bell. However, if it is there take it.
-------
The Steelers countered the 49ers DLine
With a lot of max-protect. Keeping backs and TEs in and putting less into patterns. It worked pretty well seeing WHO the people still running the patterns were.
-------
The way to beat this Rams team
Is to force TO’s on defense by getting legitimate pressure and rattling QB’s. On offense, we should run the ball, especially with draw plays from under center and the shotgun.
-------
I just cant see the Rams
Stopping this Offense at nearly 100%. Kirk Cousins was able to rip them apart, I think Ben and Brown will do more. Just need the D to show up again and play well. But as they say, that’s why they play the game, no one can win on paper.
-------
Special Teams Decides This One
If the Rams get a punt/kick/int return for a score/near score they win. If not, we win.

Hope week 3 is not going to be the time for the annual Steelers special teams coach should be fired episode.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I just cant see the Rams
Stopping this Offense at nearly 100%. Kirk Cousins was able to rip them apart, I think Ben and Brown will do more. Just need the D to show up again and play well. But as they say, that’s why they play the game, no one can win on paper.

I wouldn't rest my hopes on chain logic. In a league like the NFL the teams are just too close to compare. Game plans are usually the deciding factor, along with good adjustments.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I always feel like every game is a must win!
But I agree with you, I'm not as worried about this win as being prepared for Ariz. next week!
So lets use this Steeler game to prep for the Cards, and WIN it!!

ram007

Starter
I always feel like every game is a must win!
But I agree with you, I'm not as worried about this win as being prepared for Ariz. next week!
So lets use this Steeler game to prep for the Cards, and WIN it!!

I think Rams will win both games. Both play 3-4 defenses. So this weeks game is good setup for next week. Even vegas has the rams giving only 1 points. Which means Rams are going to win big all Rams needs to do is show up this week

TheBunk

Rookie
Their fans definitely have confidence and its deserved. From these comments though, they're knowledgeable and respectful so I can appreciate that. This is going to be one tough ass game Sunday. The Steelers are no joke, man.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
This game could really go either way. Both teams have mismatch nightmares against each other. Ultimately, it'll be up to the secondary that holds the drive, as well as our O-line.