What are YOUR Thoughts on Starting Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should Goff start day one or should we wait?

• Start day one

• Wait a few weeks into year one

• Wait until year 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
It's MNF and the first game in LA. Goff is the #1 pick that they traded a lot for. And the other option is Case Keenum. Goff will start.

Not saying I'd be opposed, the title does state "YOUR" thoughts, just don't see it happening

Would I start him, if I thought he was my best chance for the win you're damn right I would.

Just don't see JF doing it

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's about to change. The Eagles are making the right decision and sitting Wentz. Jaguars should have done the same with Bortles.
There's no way anyone can point to the Eagles as a resource of doing things the right way
And Blake Bortles as a rookie was a better QB then Chad Henne even if he threw with his left arm

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's no way anyone can point to the Eagles as a resource of doing things the right way
And Blake Bortles as a rookie was a better QB then Chad Henne even if he threw with his left arm

It's not about Bortles being better than Henne. It's about what would be best for Bortles's development. Through hard work, he was able to overcome some of his issues the off-season after his rookie year. But, imo, he would have been further along in his development if he spent the season doing that.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whoever wins the job in TC should start game 1.

That being said, tie goes to the future of the franchise.

Shawnbb158

Starter
I'm a day 1 starter vote. No matter what happens as a rookie he will be better than foles was as a ram. I have watched every throw in college bc I'm a draftnik and rams til I die fan so I watched all. I was originally wentz but changed after the full film work. Our qb will make mistakes but he is a rookie and it will happen. But that being said he is (even at this stage) so much better than we had last year at ANY POINT. Foles lost us multiply games himself and we all know it. Goff won't lose us games as a rookie. He has the potential to win us games that are close just bc his accuracy on 3rd down and moving the ball in general will keep our d fresher than the qbs last year

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff will start day one. It will not take much for him to represent the best chance of winning.

Fish isn't gonna say it but it is a big deal for him and Les that Goff shows those early signs he is ready. If not it isn't the end of the world but the kid needs to flash and at least push for the job.

He will do that and somewhere in preseason he is going to clearly be the best option for the team imo.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Goff will start. Goff is ready. Goff will win. The end.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't want Goff starting game one, Monday Night football AT SF. Think Goff might have a few butterflies? I bet he'll be puking his guts out five minutes before taking the field. Millions watching and every sports talking head will be criticizing the Rams every little mistake Goff makes in the game. How the Rams sold the farm.The Rams can beat the 48'ers with Keenum. Let Goff start in a game that's not in the national spotlight. Any mistake he makes will be amplified a hundred fold.
I actually would be okay with this. I've always liked the idea of starting(initiating) high profile rookies on their home field. Also, if Keenum lights it up on MNF....his value goes up instantly.

But in the end having said all that, i'll defer to the HC who handled Gurley's rookie intro quite well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not about Bortles being better than Henne. It's about what would be best for Bortles's development. Through hard work, he was able to overcome some of his issues the off-season after his rookie year. But, imo, he would have been further along in his development if he spent the season doing that.
Nothing to learn from watching Henne. And there's only so much to see from the sidelines.
I don't think he'd be further along by watching that train wreck or a team nor can you say starting set him back
Goff needs to start

…..

Legend
I don't want to see us out there with a predictable offense. Starting Goff, assuming he's competitive enough to start, will ultimately lead us to a minimal playbook for the first 5 weeks. They've got to find a way to call plays that put the offense in rhythm while also being not so damn predictable, or you may as well start Keenum who presumably has more playbook depth of knowledge.

We'll learn real quick about Goff's memory and intelligence. I'm ready to judge things, all things regarding the team, by their play on the field. Reading about "what might be" and "what could be" is getting old. Its been a long off season.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some guys are ready to start. Some aren't. Off the top of my heads, here's a list of current starters who sat for most or all of their rookie year:
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Kirk Cousins
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Drew Brees
Jay Cutler
Tyrod Taylor

Those are the guys I can think of that are starting caliber. It's plenty of successful QBs. Learning by doing has its drawbacks. One of them is that it reinforces bad habits. It makes sense to start a guy whose mechanics are sound. But when you have a guy who needs mechanical work, I think you do him a disservice by throwing him out there as a rookie.

I think that's a fair point, about reinforcing bad habits. But IMO, that's what film study and practice are for and I'm sure Goff will be doing countless hours of studying himself. No one is gonna be perfect in their first start or even first 10 starts for that matter. I also think any habits that are developed will come from practice, not games. You play like you practice.

And on top of all that, I think Goff's mechanics are actually already excellent; do you think otherwise? I think his mechanics are what separates him currently. Footwork is great, quick release, good pocket presence, progresses through reads, etc.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Gotta trust the coaches to make the right decision as to when Goff starts.

I know... Gulp...

Whichever QB gives us the best chance to win on that particular Sunday (or Monday Night) should get the start.

If Fisher thinks that's Keenum, so be it. And if Keenum wins, why not keep starting him?

I mean, Goff's gonna catch up. We all know that. Goff will be here for 15 years, probably. Long after Keenum has become the answer to a trivia question.

So why get hung up on exactly which week Goff gets his first start?

It's all about Ram wins, isn't it?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that's a fair point, about reinforcing bad habits. But IMO, that's what film study and practice are for and I'm sure Goff will be doing countless hours of studying himself. No one is gonna be perfect in their first start or even first 10 starts for that matter. I also think any habits that are developed will come from practice, not games. You play like you practice.

And on top of all that, I think Goff's mechanics are actually already excellent; do you think otherwise? I think his mechanics are what separates him currently. Footwork is great, quick release, good pocket presence, progresses through reads, etc.

Goff is fine. Start him. The right move is sitting Wentz. Film study and practice don't allow you to correct the issues when you have a game every week. But Goff doesn't have those issues.

Nothing to learn from watching Henne. And there's only so much to see from the sidelines.
I don't think he'd be further along by watching that train wreck or a team nor can you say starting set him back
Goff needs to start

It's not about learning or watching Henne. It's about improving his own game. It's easier to do when he is able to take the season to focus on that. There's a lot you can learn while watching from the sidelines.

This has nothing to do with Goff.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Start Goff right away. He will be ready. I feel comfortable with Keenum but Jared will be ready, needs to be on the field to work through his learning curve, and offers the upside.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If it were me, I'd wait a few games (maybe the first four or so) to see how well the Oline is performing.

Yes, high round QBs start early now-a-days... but I would hate to see him get beaten down right off the bat.

Tends to have a bad impact on confidence. :sneaky: