What are YOUR Thoughts on Starting Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should Goff start day one or should we wait?

• Start day one

• Wait a few weeks into year one

• Wait until year 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
So this seems to be the hot topic among all the analysts out there but I wanted to make a poll and see what everyone here thinks.

Do you think it is important to start Goff day one and let him get as much starting experience as possible regardless if he struggles (similar to his 1st year at Cal)? Or do you think it is a better decision to start Keenum for a few weeks to a year so Goff can learn more from the sidelines and be more prepared when he goes into action?

The main arguments against starting him immediately are injury concerns from not being able to protect himself or him ruining his confidence level by struggling early. The argument against benching him for awhile is him not being able to develop by getting real action.

Personally I think most all of these arguments are valid, but in Goff's case, he was able to start from day one at Cal and overcome his struggles so I think he should do the same here. I vote start him day one (even though it is a hard decision).

ViennaMax

Rookie
start whoever gives us the best chances to win - if its keenum week 1 its keenum - if its goff he should start....
and somehow i have the feeling that we shouldn't overlook mannion

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What would happen if we had two franchise QB's in Mannion and Goff? Assuming that Goff is the guy, however, if he can QB under center and run the offense AND the Oline is judged to be adequate for a new guy, he should start day one. I am of the opinion that having a guy sit and hold a clipboard is just wasting years of productivity....and in todays NFL, there is no patience for a #1 Pick overall to sit for years watching...jmho.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Start day one, unless Mannion is tearing it up...

Keep Keenum off the damn team.....seriously...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Start day one, unless Mannion is tearing it up...

Keep Keenum off the damn team.....seriously...

He's a solid backup, he went 3-2 last year so I don't mind keeping him. If Mannion looks good in pre season I'd dangle him for a pick, Snead could use the extras next year since he mortgaged the future for Goff remember.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think I'll abstain from voicing an opinion, because I have money bet on it!!:mrburnsevil:

Big Game

Living The Dream
I personally would like the kid to start day 1. But only if he has a great grasp of the offense. No key injuries to anyone on the offensive line. We started Sam Bradford day one and he had a pretty good rookie year. I think Goff can do the same with even better weapons such as Austin, Gurley, Cooper etc around him.

hi-res-962fc759208d7b88916fba9eaf0aea66_crop_north.jpg

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It's just like cooking food. You don't eat the pork or chicken until it's done, no matter how hungry you may be. So you start Goff when he is ready, period. If that is Week 1 on the road in SF, so be it. Otherwise, you start Keenum until Goff or Mannion show you they are ready for primetime!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fish is going to start the QB that wins the job... whoever that may be.

The sooner Goff gets on the field the better. QBs need to play in order to truly develop. I've heard several ex NFL QBs say that the only way to really learn the NFL game is to be on the field.

I have a feeling that Goff is gonna win the QB competition with ease. I am happy that there is a competition though... I don't think Sam ever really had one with us and I believe that was detrimental to his development. Competition is great. Goff is gonna win it though I bet,,, but if not, he'll ride pine until he beats out the starter. As it should be.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Without reading anything, my thoughts are lets let him take a fuckin snap before we make decisions.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Day 1 starter . Don't wait till they are 1-3 and then bring him in . That would be more pressure to turn it around

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's just like cooking food. You don't eat the pork or chicken until it's done, no matter how hungry you may be. So you start Goff when he is ready, period. If that is Week 1 on the road in SF, so be it. Otherwise, you start Keenum until Goff or Mannion show you they are ready for primetime!

But how can we be sure that he is either of those? What if he is beef??

Athos

Legend
Unless he's truly horrendous and has no idea what he's doing on the field during pre-season games, you learn by doing.

Can't see how he's learn much just watching Keenum.

He's got an elite RB to take the pressure off, a good mix of veteran and young skill players and an o-line better than anything Bradford ever had on a team better than Sam ever had.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't think Sam ever really had one with us and I believe that was detrimental to his development.
And when he finally did have to face competition....it was all.....

images

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since 2008 there have been 10 QB drafted in the top 5 and the only one to not start day 1 was Blake Bortles. He started game 3 and even his coach admitted it was a mistake and that he should have started all along
If he doesn't start game 1, then something's wrong

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have never been there before, but it seems to me like you couldn't learn a thing from the bench. Now, if he doesn't know the playbook, and/or making mental mistakes, then keep him out of the game until he is not making them.

Remember, guys. There is no film on Goff in any NFL situation. There are going to be mismatches early on and it has helped every new QB thrown to the wolves. It's when that plan doesn't change and there is plenty of film to study that things get a bit murky.

An NFL QB shouldn't be made of glass. I hope all of our players do not get injured in practice or games. Heck, I don't want any player to get hurt really. There is no, "don't play him 'cause he will get hurt" argument.