We landed Wade Phillips!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Does this look right X?Wasn't sure so I tried to look up the
alignment.I am guessing 'w" will be standing?
denver-defense-615.jpg
Kinda, I guess. Can't really see that.
4-3 under is a 2-gap DE (4-tech), a 2-gap NT (1-tech), a 3-tech, and LEO (Quinn) with SOLB up.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I like this news better than the McVay hire. I'm not sold on the kid yet. I'd liked to at least have had Shanahan interviewed. Oh well, I hope the kid is as good as the Rams think he is.

This does appear like it was a package deal.

Here's hoping that the team is excited about the new coaches and, hopefully, free agents will be excited as well.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Duuuuuuude! I am geeked over Wade coming to the Rams. Bring on his version of the 3-4 4-3 hybrid and bring Demarcus Ware with ya! Could you imagine Donald, Quinn and Ware and hopefully another versatile rusher in the mix?! I think Brockers would be fine in the middle, but we need another end and a couple of LBers. The thing I was always jealous about 3-4 OLBs is there are a lot of tweeners that you can find in the mid rounds that can really rush standing up, you just gotta teach them how to play the run and the occasional coverage.
If Az could run Buchanon as an ILB I don't see why you can't use Barron in there at first. I'd really like a LB core of Quinn, Tree, Barron and Ware as the starters. I am pumped to see what Phillips can do with the front 7 and how he reshapes the back 4 as well.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
What do you guys think happens to Barron & Tree in this scheme?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do you guys think happens to Barron & Tree in this scheme?
Tree stays inside no problem. He played MLB in a 3-4 at Georgia then we moved him outside and eventually back in. Barron is a tough call. Let TJ walk and move him back to SS? Keep him at OLB? He's hard to tell imo.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Duuuuuuude! I am geeked over Wade coming to the Rams. Bring on his version of the 3-4 4-3 hybrid and bring Demarcus Ware with ya! Could you imagine Donald, Quinn and Ware and hopefully another versatile rusher in the mix?! I think Brockers would be fine in the middle, but we need another end and a couple of LBers. The thing I was always jealous about 3-4 OLBs is there are a lot of tweeners that you can find in the mid rounds that can really rush standing up, you just gotta teach them how to play the run and the occasional coverage.
If Az could run Buchanon as an ILB I don't see why you can't use Barron in there at first. I'd really like a LB core of Quinn, Tree, Barron and Ware as the starters. I am pumped to see what Phillips can do with the front 7 and how he reshapes the back 4 as well.
Ware is injury prone. Plus he's probably retiring.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is amazing news. People need not worry about the transition. At most, it affects two positions on our defense (LDE or NT and SOLB). It's not a big deal.

Wade is a brilliant mind. He'll use our guys to their full potential.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
4-3 under is a 2-gap DE (4-tech), a 2-gap NT (1-tech), a 3-tech, and LEO (Quinn) with SOLB up.

Wade is a 1-gap 3-4 by the way

Zero

Pro Bowler

A key difference between Phillips' 3-4 and others is gap assignments.

This article explains that a bit.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/02/0...cos-3-4-defense-and-one-gap-equals-dominance/

Thanks for the article MadGoat
He calls it a 3/4,But it looks like it is technically a 5/2 with one gap assignments on the line.
A lot of responsibility for the inside backers.
Either way I love how he says in the article"we find what they do well and then we let them do that".
Very flexible coach.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Tree stays inside no problem. He played MLB in a 3-4 at Georgia then we moved him outside and eventually back in. Barron is a tough call. Let TJ walk and move him back to SS? Keep him at OLB? He's hard to tell imo.
I gotta believe one of them moves. There's no way we can afford to have those two playing on the inside, just not enough beef.

Tree is interesting because we exercised his 5th year option, but that won't be cheap (upwards of $8M). Barron is a ? too. I'll be interested to see how he fits the pieces

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I gotta believe one of them moves. There's no way we can afford to have those two playing on the inside, just not enough beef.

Tree is interesting because we exercised his 5th year option, but that won't be cheap (upwards of $8M). Barron is a ? too. I'll be interested to see how he fits the pieces
Barron at SS isn't a problem unless we keep TJ then the position is over crowded. I'm honestly not too worried about the defenses players. Phillips is a mastermind he'll make it work. Second year might be better than the 1st but we won't be upset with the 1st year either way.