We landed Wade Phillips!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Get excited man.

Donald can easily play DE in a 3-4. I think Brockers can too.

We need 3 LBs and a NT - that's not too crazy. A NT and at least 1 pass rushing LB can be had in FA. We desperately need an upgrade at MLB; I'm hoping we get that in the draft.

Put a Raekwon McMillan next to Ogletree and this defense will take off.

They can't really take a step back when they were already bad this past year.

I just think adding a DC that changes schemes just takes the retooling and makes it more of a rebuilding. Maybe I am tired of waiting. Maybe I am just jaded because of the all of the coaching hires not working out since Vermeil. I usually try to look at the bright side with these things. I hated the Linehan hire but didn't complain. Tried to look at the good side. I loved the Spagnoulo hire until he arrived and started getting whacky right away. I wanted the Fisher hire because I thought a veteran coach would bring in some discipline and a winning attitude and figured that he was the best the Rams could get considering how bad the team was. So, now they roll the dice on a the youngest head coach ever and the first move he makes is one that involves changing the defense. I wont be eating the cupcakes right now. The losing has me a bit pessimistic I guess. I felt Shanahan was the best option. Then I read that the Rams really liked McVay and they found out that San Francisco really liked him too, so they figured they better grab him first. Seems like an odd way to go about it without even finishing all of the interviews. Did they just overreact?

Is McMillan that stout? I thought he was more of an athlete like Ogletree. Shedding blocks was not really Ogletrees forte. I figured he would get moved outside eventually.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Basically, we'll play a 4-3 Under as base (with Brockers at Nose and Donald at 3-tech) and every other formation (nickel, dime, etc..) we have will most likely remain the same with different assignments and technique. It's not that big a change. We've literally run all this stuff these last few years. Maybe the only difference is that Brockers will not be two-gapping anymore and one-gapping?

Or am I missing something?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not concerned with the 3-4 vs 4-3 argument with Wade Phillips. He's known to gauge the best out the roster he's given and cook it into a scheme. I predict we'll still play with 4-man fronts 75% of the time. Even Williams has occasionally let DEs and DTs drop back into zone coverage to disguise looks.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I just think adding a DC that changes schemes just takes the retooling and makes it more of a rebuilding. Maybe I am tired of waiting. Maybe I am just jaded because of the all of the coaching hires not working out since Vermeil. I usually try to look at the bright side with these things. I hated the Linehan hire but didn't complain. Tried to look at the good side. I loved the Spagnoulo hire until he arrived and started getting whacky right away. I wanted the Fisher hire because I thought a veteran coach would bring in some discipline and a winning attitude and figured that he was the best the Rams could get considering how bad the team was. So, now they roll the dice on a the youngest head coach ever and the first move he makes is one that involves changing the defense. I wont be eating the cupcakes right now. The losing has me a bit pessimistic I guess. I felt Shanahan was the best option. Then I read that the Rams really liked McVay and they found out that San Francisco really liked him too, so they figured they better grab him first. Seems like an odd way to go about it without even finishing all of the interviews. Did they just overreact?

Is McMillan that stout? I thought he was more of an athlete like Ogletree. Shedding blocks was not really Ogletrees forte. I figured he would get moved outside eventually.

I've got a good feeling about McVay, there's only one way we can go and I think adding Phillips will work for the Rams. By the sound of things McVay is going to scheme to the strengths of the team that includes Donald as a 3-tech...

Have you watched the Dani Klup interview? I thought it was a good watch myself...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The fact Wade Phillips is coming to town with Sean is quite the endorsement of Sean McVay.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The fact Wade Phillips is coming to town with Sean is quite the endorsement of Sean McVay.

I think it's a combination of the talent on our defensive roster, and the fact that McVay is an offensive guy. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a Head Coach 1a (McVay) and 1b (Phillips) situation: McVay calls the offensive plays and leaves the entire defense to Phillips.

That delegation is very important imo, and something that's been lacking the last few years.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-helped-rams-lure-wade-phillips-from-denver/

Family connection helped Rams lure Wade Phillips from Denver
Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2017

158836251-e1485018799640.jpg
Getty Images

New Broncos coach Vance Joseph hoped to retain defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. New Rams coach Sean McVay lured Phillips to Los Angeles.

So how did McVay pull it off? He explained the coordinator coup during a visit to Friday’s PFT Live.

“The one unfortunate part of this business is you don’t get a chance to see your family as much as you’d like, and he has a daughter that lives out in the L.A. area,” McVay said regarding Phillips. “Then being fortunate enough to work with Wes, his son, the last couple years in Washington. We’ve developed a really close relationship; I consider him one of my closest friends in this profession and really just in life in general.

[I’ve] gotten to know Wade a little bit better through that, and I’ve always admired his career from afar. I think his resume speaks for itself, so just those different connections . . . and it doesn’t hurt when you’ve got some pretty good players that you’ll get a chance to come in and coach right away.”

The Rams definitely have some good defensive players. It may not yet be as potent as the Broncos defense, but it’s good enough to help the team turn things around — especially if McVay can fix an offense that currently has a lot more in common with the Greatest Show on Earth than the Greatest Show on Turf.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/23/wade-phillips-departure-from-denver-was-amicable/

Wade Phillips’ departure from Denver was amicable
Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2017

186761534-e1485227850776.jpg
Getty Images

A draft analyst looking to pass along some of the scuttlebutt from the Senior Bowl got more than he bargained for on Monday, when Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips decided to fire back on Twitter at a report suggesting that Phillips was responsible for the rift between the Denver offense and defense in 2016.

View: https://twitter.com/sonofbum/status/823595604051918848

The forceful nature of Phillips’ reaction invited further digging. A source with knowledge of the situation said that there’s no truth to the notion that Phillips caused division within the team. He was, and still is, loved by the players.

While the source also said the split between the two sides was amicable, with Phillips wanting to move to L.A., where his daughter lives, there were other factors at play. Defensive backs coach Joe Woods was starting to become a hot name for potential defensive coordinator jobs; the Broncos didn’t want to lose him to another team. (Because Woods was still under contract, the Broncos could have blocked him. They believed the better course was to ensure he got his promotion without leaving.)

Also, money was an issue. Not this year, but a year ago. Phillips, per multiple sources, wanted to be the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the NFL after the Broncos won Super Bowl 50. The Broncos resisted, and Phillips entered his contract year with the intent of becoming a coaching free agent.

He did, and now he’s a member of the Rams. The Broncos in turn kept Woods, and both sides are pleased with the outcome.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Journalists using unnamed sources to make things up? Who would have guessed?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

"what do our players do best, how can we find those things and let's implement some schemes which extenuate their skill sets."

in other words the exact polar opposite of the dinosaur who kept the rams treading water the last 4 years.

"players that excite ya and you can't wait to work with"

i'm looking at you tavon and gurley.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

ok, just saw the rest of that interview.

these are the players mcvay is excited to work with. naturally goff, gurley and tavon on offense. pretty much the whole d. he mentioned donald first, obviously, and quinn. then threw in ogletree and barron, tjmac and mo, tru, gaines and joyner.

donald will not be changing his playing style at all. he's the best at what he does and he will continue doing just that with phillips calling the shots.

i'm so impressed with the way mcvay expresses himself, his beliefs and his ideals. so much better than mr smug (who did nothing to act so smug).