Trent Dilfer: Rams are an immature team, but I wouldn't wanna play them.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Debacled

Starter
How many of those teams are paying their coach $8 million a year?

Is it coming out of your paycheck? Why should it matter how much they are getting paid?

With that said, how many HCs are there in the league with 21 seasons worth of experience?

dhaab

Rookie
Incredibly weak? Ty Cobb literally has so many famous quotes about being an icehole it's not funny, the guy's most famous picture is of him drop kicking a freaking catcher. Lou Gehrig and the Babe were known for thinking themselves as hot crap, Brandon Phillips once called a whole team a bunch of whiny bitches and started a bench clearing brawl with them soon after.. Those are weak? What about the Brewers annoying rip their shirt out after every win thing that pissed everyone off? Or the Dodgers crap talking the Cardinals through the 2013 NCLS to the point where the Cardinals pointed it out publicly as Mickey Mouse antics or Junior Lake causing a bench clearer by hushing another dugout while his team was down by 4 or standing around gawking at his home run to the point where his coach was screaming at him and called him a punk for it in his post game? When does it stop being outlier and start being oh hey, it's about as ingrained in this as it is in literally every other facet of life?

Also for your response to X, those bench clearing brawls are rare? Because there's been a major bench clearing brawl every season for the past 5 years, you're not the only one who watches baseball man, your idealized version of baseball just isn't real.

So, your proof that baseball is full of trash talkers is citing someone who hasn't played baseball in over 80 years? Also, Brandon Phillips calling a team "whiny bitches" to a reporter isn't even close to the same kind of thing we're talking about here. The discussion is about athletes trash talking each other on the field. The bench clearing brawls happen a few times a year, but that isn't the same as trash talking either. Oh, and you're saying that the Brewers pulling out their shirts after a win a few years back is the same as trash talking another player? Wow. And besides, ALL of these examples are outliers that rarely happen. Once again, talking trash happens after almost EVERY SINGLE PLAY in football. Why/how can't you see the difference??

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, your proof that baseball is full of trash talkers is citing someone who hasn't played baseball in over 80 years? Also, Brandon Phillips calling a team "whiny bitches" to a reporter isn't even close to the same kind of thing we're talking about here. The discussion is about athletes trash talking each other on the field. The bench clearing brawls happen a few times a year, but that isn't the same as trash talking either. Oh, and you're saying that the Brewers pulling out their shirts after a win a few years back is the same as trash talking another player? Wow. And besides, ALL of these examples are outliers that rarely happen. Once again, talking trash happens after almost EVERY SINGLE PLAY in football. Why/how can't you see the difference??
Have you played the two sports before? I ask, because football is nothing like baseball if you've played both sports. Baseball players don't get yoked up in preparation of flying into other yoked up dudes in a controlled violence game. The objective is to try and dominate the guy in front of you, and in some cases hurt the guy in front of you. The objective in baseball is to hit or throw a ball and run in a diamond pattern before someone can throw a ball before you reach your base. Can you think of any reason why hockey players talk trash and try to knock each other's teeth out? Any reason you can think of as to why tennis players don't typically talk trash? What about Rugby vs golf?

Speeps

Starter
The truth hurts. I hate Dilfer, but he is absolutely right. And nothing will change because Fisher has no urgency and he thinks everything is okay. I'm sick of it.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Excuses, excuses, excuses....how many examples are there of H.C.'s that built successful teams in far less time? Yes this teams young, it also has a D returning for the 2nd year in a row. Personally I'm so tired of the excuses.

My comments are not directed at you specifically.

And how many of those coach's had to COMPLETLY gut the team to do so?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
This is year 4 brother. Any legit issues are Fisher's fault. He's the head honcho after all. The team needs to win. IMO anything less than playoffs is failure. It is time for this organization to set expectations high and use accountability.
So your in the locker room and know that isn't happening? Yes it's year 4 but we are in year 4 of a complete gut job. I get the i wanna win now because there are examples of a shitty coach grtting fired and the guy who replaced him used the talent on the roster correctly and called it a turn around. Well this isn't the case.

The good news is we have a core in place now. We have areas that need work but not an entire unit anymore
That being said the team will improve as our players mature into the system.

I mean come on yes our oline is better then the garbage we had last year but did anyone truly think it was gonna be great out the gate. Mark my words we will be going out and getting more oline next year. Not near as many but now it's all about improvement instead of filling holes across the unit

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ri
Can't disagree with much of what he said. I wanted to write most of his comments out for those who can't access the video for whatever reason.

"Yeah, I just think they're immature, they've always been immature. They have high highs and low lows. They have active, dynamic personnel but not consistent personnel. They don't have guys that show up every week and play at the same level of intensity and consistency."

"You talk to football people around the league and they feel the same way I do. They're the biggest tease in the league. They look great on paper. They look great one week and then horrible the next."

In his ESPN meeting before the game he said "I guarantee you the Rams lose to the Redskins today because that's who the Rams are. They are an immature football team. Mature football teams bring a level of consistency each week. I wouldn't want to play them Sunday off of a loss though because they're good is really good."

ROBert Quinn is over rated.Is Eugene Simms hurt ???
--makes a

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
No, my proof is the act that it's been going on for over 80s years, from Ty Cobb to today. The propensity for trash talk in limited in baseball because for a majority of baseball you're not even on the field half the time. You can't find time to trash talk unless you're going to the media or batting, because when you're fielding(Which is the majority of the time spent in baseball.) most times you won't even be anywhere CLOSE to an opposing player to trash talk to them. It has nothing to do with culture, as proven by the fact that there are people who are assholes completely and utterly and have no problem doing it and they find ways to do it despite this. Also I didn't, I thought the Brewers thing was overblown, but it was considered trash talking by the glorious and loving players you're trumping up so far, so I figured it meant something.

Also calling a team whiny bitches and causing a fight with them isn't on the same level as staring a guy down sometimes or bragging to themselves? In what universe is that better? In what universe would anybody say, "Hey I want you to go out there and insult this team and then start throwing haymakers, that's a lot better than bragging and trash talking." If that really sounds plausible to you then you are so far in denial that there's not really much I can say to change your mind.

Baseball is not a gentlemanly sport, it's full of assholes just like every other sport, the only difference is that baseball has a bunch of people who would die to keep the narrative of my gentlemanly sport, my national past time going on. So many cases over such a long period of time stop being outlier and start being a trend.

The only person who refuses to see anything is you, and you're welcome to keep whatever narrative that helps you enjoy baseball, but don't expect me not to balk at it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Dude, no one thinks that was taunting. When does Britt get called for that type of BS? Dude was talking and so was Britt, he stood there and talked.
That rule is just one itsy bitsy piece of the New Moral World Order movement. It's all around us. It infests our lives. Still, does anyone really think Dez Bryant gets flagged there? I think not. That's a whole other issue though.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
All the talk doesn't change the fact that he knew we were down big and didn't just go back to the sidelines. I'm not going to get into the discussions about generations or other teams WRs, because it's completely irrelevant. We were down by more than a score, had to resort to trickery to even get poor Mr Britt open in the first place. If he was smart, he would have jumped up once or twice, slapped a few hands and got the fuck out of there. He knows that we get called for an inordinate amount of penalties. It's being aware of the situation that you are in and being smart. Unfortunately our team isn't about that. IMO trying to say everybody does it or everybody used to do it is just yet another excuse, no different than the yearly "We're too young to play right".

Also, if I'm not mistaken, a single f-bomb spoken is enough to draw a flag as well as any slurs. Perhaps that's the flag, IDK. Either way, if you aren't standing there, you aren't flagged. Simple, at least in my mind.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What Dilfer and Morton describe, is what the Rams have been..It might even describe how they are right now..no matter...We are not doomed to continue this way. They could have changed already..THIS week...We get the same cr@p from enemy fans.."Same old Sorry Assed Rams"..From their point of view, is that we are and we will never change no matter what we do..What utter cr@p!!! Absolute BULLSH.T!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Different layers are more suited to different sports. I think they're all pansies compare to hockey players myself. Don't get me wrong, I've played a lot of different sports myself and football is my favorite, but there really is something different about talking trash to someone when he my just feel ok about knocking those comments off your face for five in the box. It changes a lot, trust me.

Football is violent but it really has been gaining grounds on the drama aspect. And that's fine in a way as drama sells more than the real sport sometimes. WWE is more popular than actual wrestling for example. I mean come on, they used to stomp the floor when they half ass pretended to punch each other for sound effects.

It is what it is. And we as a team are not just young, but the youngest in the NFL. So what does that say about us if we still spend close to the cap?

…..

Legend
lol.

You just get guys throwing 95MPH fastballs at other guys' heads, cleat-up slides into other guys' chests, and stuff like this:

17260fef8fc8d763f82eb0b847d7eb87_large.gif

Ugh.....even though my man Grienke got props for his man card on this play, he did end up with a broken collar bone and missed half the season. Baaaaaad memory. But nice find ;)

If this team isn't mature, we never will be. It's contract season for a large chunk of the team.

You might be onto something here. Stay tuned I guess. More food for the Fisher doubters.