Trent Dilfer: Rams are an immature team, but I wouldn't wanna play them.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Where are the "mature, experienced, veterans" who should be doing this as well?
Besides JL and Long the mature veterans are Jenkins, Tru, Pead. Brockers. and the rest of Sneeds first couple draft classes. That's about it.

When a player gets 3-4 years in he;s a vet no matter if he's 24 years old. These are the guys that have to step up.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree, but I hold that against the league as a part of the weird need to make the game this stuffy and compact game of flag football where you can't have any pride in what you do or be happy while doing it.

I feel that's just an unrealistic expectation to have of a highly competitive game where the best of the very best are playing, most of whom take a lot of pride in what they do. I do get what you and others are saying about a team that hasn't earned it shouldn't be acting like they have, but at the base root saying it's bad I just disagree.
I don't your age, but, it may just be a generational thing.
The game has always been played by the best of the best. Guys didn't act like morons, as much anyway, in years past. Could you imagine how out of control the game would be if the NFL didn't keep a tight lid on these things....remember the Grand Popa of self serving idiots, TO pulling out a pen after scoring a TD? Its just so needy and classless.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I don't your age, but, it may just be a generational thing.
The game has always been played by the best of the best. Guys didn't act like morons, as much anyway, in years past. Could you imagine how out of control the game would be if the NFL didn't keep a tight lid on these things....remember the Grand Popa of self serving idiots, TO pulling out a pen after scoring a TD? Its just so needy and classless.
It's not a generational thing. It's a remember on the basis of what you want to remember, not a crack at you, it's just something everybody does. Ala 90s kids talking about how great their era is while ignoring everything that doesn't fit into the reality they believed in. Every generation does it, every generation was better than the one following it. I don't want to assume, but I'm certain your parents before you said the same thing of yours.

For every class act you can think of from the old days, there were just as many Chuck Bednarik's celebrating over the injured bodies of their opponents, Butkus' admitting to scratching clawing and biting their opponents, Iggy Shuffles and so much more. One of those is the most beloved and persisting images of what the NFL is to this day. Athletes have been trash talking assholes mixed with class acts since the beginning of time.

The only difference is guys like TO and Ochocinco trying to make feature length films out there while celebrating, which slowed down the game. They definitely tried to go bigger, but they definitely didn't go worse.

And they definitely didn't start the trend, nor will they be the end of it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
This is year 4 brother. Any legit issues are Fisher's fault. He's the head honcho after all. The team needs to win. IMO anything less than playoffs is failure. It is time for this organization to set expectations high and use accountability.

True.

I just don't think that any problem (age, injury, etc) can't just be addressed as "blah, excuses!" It's too Bernie-esque for me.

fearsomefour

Legend
It's not a generational thing. It's a remember on the basis of what you want to remember, not a crack at you, it's just something everybody does. Ala 90s kids talking about how great their era is while ignoring everything that doesn't fit into the reality they believed in. Every generation does it, every generation was better than the one following it. I don't want to assume, but I'm certain your parents before you said the same thing of yours.

For every class act you can think of from the old days, there were just as many Chuck Bednarik's celebrating over the injured bodies of their opponents, Butkus' admitting to scratching clawing and biting their opponents, Iggy Shuffles and so much more. One of those is the most beloved and persisting images of what the NFL is to this day. Athletes have been trash talking assholes mixed with class acts since the beginning of time.

The only difference is guys like TO and Ochocinco trying to make feature length films out there while celebrating, which slowed down the game. They definitely tried to go bigger, but they definitely didn't go worse.

And they definitely didn't start the trend, nor will they be the end of it.
Ahhhh the Iggy Shuffle.....
Anyway, you are probably right. In terms of individual players being dirty that has always been the case. In terms of guys celebrating routine plays and constantly posing ect., that didn't used to happen.
In terms of the Rams, I think we both can agree dumb 15 yard penalties in close games are never a good thing.

RamzFanz

Damnit
ummmm...You really think so??

In other words, we need to.......mature?

Yes I think they are mature and no, "settled" in isn't maturing in my use of the word.

If this team isn't mature, we never will be. It's contract season for a large chunk of the team.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Well, for such a young and immature team...we sure have a LOT of big contracts coming due. Wasted talent.....

dhaab

Rookie
People are naturally braggarts. This isn't new, this hasn't suddenly cropped up in the last few years, it's always been like this.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Look at the sport of baseball. You don't see the kind of trash talking crap you see in football ever. That's because there is a culture of respect for your fellow competitor in that sport.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Look at the sport of baseball. You don't see the kind of trash talking crap you see in football ever. That's because there is a culture of respect for your fellow competitor in that sport.
Nyjer Morgan, Brandon Phillips, every Yankee ever especially the murderer's row, Ty Cobb, Byrce Harper and many, many more called and wanted to know what else do they have to do?

Every sport has assholes and braggarts, there is no perfect sport, only people who want to see a specific sport in a certain way.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
lol.

You just get guys throwing 95MPH fastballs at other guys' heads, cleat-up slides into other guys' chests, and stuff like this:

17260fef8fc8d763f82eb0b847d7eb87_large.gif

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
lol.

You just get guys throwing 95MPH fastballs at other guys' heads, cleat-up slides into other guy's chests, and stuff like this:

LOL the funniest part is the guy was one of the most hit guys in the league, he practically crowded the plate. I think he had like 3 or 4 more HBPs than the guy behind him? Also Grienke wasn't the guy who had even hit him the most. It was some big pitcher who put Grienke to shame, I think he was like 6'7?

It was obvious that Quentin intentionally picked a fight he thought he was going to win against the top pitcher of his division rival, pretty sure respect wasn't a factor here.

dhaab

Rookie
Nyjer Morgan, Brandon Phillips, every Yankee ever especially the murderer's row, Ty Cobb, Byrce Harper and many, many more called and wanted to know what else do they have to do?

Every sport has assholes and braggarts, there is no perfect sport, only people who want to see a specific sport in a certain way.

Is this a joke? Nyjer Morgan was an outlier, at best. The rest of your examples are incredibly weak. Football players talk shit and make gestures after EVERY SINGLE PLAY. There isn't any comparison between them and pretty much any other sport.

dhaab

Rookie
lol.

You just get guys throwing 95MPH fastballs at other guys' heads, cleat-up slides into other guys' chests, and stuff like this:

Once again, these kinds of plays are rare. In football, the trash talking and ridiculous gestures happen every single play. The fact that you can't see the difference is telling.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Once again, these kinds of plays are rare. In football, the trash talking and ridiculous gestures happen every single play. The fact that you can't see the difference is telling.
Oh yeah?

What does it tell you?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Is this a joke? Nyjer Morgan was an outlier, at best. The rest of your examples are incredibly weak. Football players talk crap and make gestures after EVERY SINGLE PLAY. There isn't any comparison between them and pretty much any other sport.
Incredibly weak? Ty Cobb literally has so many famous quotes about being an asshole it's not funny, the guy's most famous picture is of him drop kicking a fucking catcher. Lou Gehrig and the Babe were known for thinking themselves as hot shit, Brandon Phillips once called a whole team a bunch of whiny bitches and started a bench clearing brawl with them soon after.. Those are weak? What about the Brewers annoying rip their shirt out after every win thing that pissed everyone off? Or the Dodgers shit talking the Cardinals through the 2013 NCLS to the point where the Cardinals pointed it out publicly as Mickey Mouse antics or Junior Lake causing a bench clearer by hushing another dugout while his team was down by 4 or standing around gawking at his home run to the point where his coach was screaming at him and called him a punk for it in his post game? When does it stop being outlier and start being oh hey, it's about as ingrained in this as it is in literally every other facet of life?

Also for your response to X, those bench clearing brawls are rare? Because there's been a major bench clearing brawl every season for the past 5 years, you're not the only one who watches baseball man, your idealized version of baseball just isn't real.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Well, for such a young and immature team...we sure have a LOT of big contracts coming due. Wasted talent.....

This. This team may be young, but it won't have as much time together as people often think. Maybe that's not a bad thing. This group hasn't exactly lit the world on fire.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
It isn't an excuse, this team will continue to make dumb mistakes and show its lack of on field experience and no amount of superb coaching will change that. Lessen it? Sure, but the penalties and inconsistent play will be a problem for any team fielding so many players with so little on the field experience.

As long as the starters are as young as they are expect to see a lot of what we already have. Chris Long and JL are the "grizzled vets" on this team at 30 and 28 respectively. This is exactly what Dilfer is hinting at, young and dumb and I'm sure you've seen its how the Rams can play. They don't know how to consistently bring the same heat every week that we saw in week 1 vrs the Seahawks.

For what its worth, there are more teams stuck in coaching purgatory out there that seem to roll a new guy in every couple a years and end up being even worse off. The Rams over the last decade should have taught us at least that.

How many of those teams are paying their coach $8 million a year?