"The Wow Factor" - Real Story behind NFL to LA/Jerry Jones Merged Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MrMotes

Starter
It's a little like a divorce. One day you're vowing till death do you part and some years later you part. Things change...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
lol, keep trying to spin it. yes he did try to bring 2 teams here, he brought one team here, then stated on record that he was going to do everything he could to make sure that team stayed here, spin away but a lie is a lie.
Pretty dismissive here Tony.

He actually tried to get 2 OTHER teams to the Lou before the Rams. Sorry but do everything he could does not mean bend over and take it. You can say that the St Louis offer was good and he should have taken it - especially in light of what he said in 2010. But the problem is that it was far shy of what was promised and far shy of what he could do on his own.

If we are going to talk about spin, we should not ignore the spin that the lease didn't matter or that having Stan spend an additional $700 million to help build a stadium he wouldn't own doesn't matter.

I don't give anyone a pass in this. It was a business decision by Stan, the NFL, the CVC/RSA, the City of St Louis, and the Task Force. But asking Stan to pay $700 million he wasn't obligated to spend and have zero equity to show for it is not really all that shocking that he would turn it down - especially when he knew he had alternatives.

lol, he still lied, when you state one thing then do exactly the oppisite you are lying.
I swore I would never cook in a restaurant again. Now I own one. I swore I would only brew beer for fun and friends. Now I own a brewery. I signed a 2 year contract to work for someone and they jerked me around and wanted me to come into the office on Sundays for no reason. I didn't stay.

You really can't take someone saying they would do what they could to stay and think that he is obligated to fulfill that no matter what. That never holds water in anything. I'm guessing you have said you were going to do something - intending full well to do it - and then situations made it either untenable to do so or would have made your situation worse or another scenario improved your situation more - so you didn't do it.

I get being pissed at the man. But saying others are merely spinning the story if they don't see it that way isn't accurate.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Suicidal and Megadeth on tour - back to the old school. Wonder if Mustaine and Muir still got it? I'll find out in April in Niagara Falls.
Sounds like a kick ass show. I saw both bands multiple times back in the day. Both great in their own ways. Tendencies won't be the same without Trujillo on bass though..

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I swore I would never cook in a restaurant again. Now I own one. I swore I would only brew beer for fun and friends. Now I own a brewery. I signed a 2 year contract to work for someone and they jerked me around and wanted me to come into the office on Sundays for no reason. I didn't stay.

I can relate. I couldn't tell you how many times I would swear off ever watching the Rams after a loss. And yet, here I am waiting for next season to watch them play. :cool:

RamzFanz

Damnit
This is my time off period for all things Rams so I haven't been around much.

It looks like the pot is almost boiling and the relocation frog had better jump out soon for the health of ROD.

I had no idea that members of ROD in good standing, who I value, or the mods here, who I know and respect, would ever make or allow a post like this:

Be glad, and get the fuck over it.

It's done. LA fans are tired of hearing about it, STL fans may never get over it, but it's done.

When RamzFanz is the voice of reason, you know things are out of hand. Just sayin'.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Come on Les. You of all people know this is not allowed here.

Your point about Bidwell is kind of ridiculous IMO. Everyone knows his family did it for the money. He had no retort - right? Georgia more than any owner I ever have heard of did it for the money. Did Stan do it for the money? Of course. Were there other factors that soured the deal early on? No doubt. Spanos tried? Tell that to the fans of SD. Neither he nor his dad were ever either clear about what the wanted nor were willing to spend. They wanted a stadium for essentially what they would get in a G4 deal. That likely has not changed - just now they get $300 million instead of $200 and would only be on the hook for $50 of it. Alex Spanos was essentially a slum lord and low income apartment developer. Yeah - great guy who loves his city. :rolleyes:

Missing the point...........he didn't do it, his father did, he had NOTHING to do with it he was a college kid for fucks sake. He isn't his father is any way shape or form and in fact even fans who hated his father (rightfully so) will tell you he is a very good owner. It's like blaming one of your kids for something you did can't you see that?

Maybe he was actually and really against the Rams move to LA just for the money, we can assume he was since that's what he said. And he is in fact correct in his feelings since one of the NFL's own guidelines was that a team can't just move for money.

This isn't a ridiculous point at all, it's salient and germane to this conversation since the NFL opted to let a team move when it didn't meet a single one of the guidlelines they laid out. They gave their blessing after lying to STL for a long time. That was shitty and there is no way around that.

This was an ugly thing and I don't like how it unfolded. It makes my favorite team look really bad because the owner and the CEO are liars and were deceitful.

I work with some die hard Bears fans and even they think this was low.

What Bidwell said was on the mark. What Jones said was bluster. Neither of those things really mattered to the other 30 guys in the room I'm sure. It was more important to get a piece of the $550MIL now and $550MIL if/when another teams moves.

If you don't agree I can tell you that going back and forth won't do us any good. We feel differently about all this and both of us are stubborn as mules..........

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Neither of those things really mattered to the other 30 guys in the room I'm sure. It was more important to get a piece of the $550MIL now and $550MIL if/when another teams moves.
Wouldn't it have been better for them to get a piece of $1.1 billion by approving two teams for Carson?

Lesson

Oh, really?
I guess it's been almost a month and I still am pretty disappointed with how this entire situation played out.

I do think Kroenke bought Chip and Lucia's shares in the franchise in 2010 to keep the team in St. Louis. It is very rare for the same franchise to relocate back to a city it left. In fact, the Raiders are the only team that I can currently think of that have done that aside from the Rams. Kroenke didn't try bringing an expansion franchise to St. Louis as well as the Rams just for the hell of it.

Regardless of the sport, people from the city/area in which a team relocates from are going to be upset and frustrated with the relocation of a sports team. I am and likely will be for a while.

However, that doesn't excuse a few things:
1.How people have treated each other, regardless of location, over this entire process.
2. How the Rams blasted St. Louis when applying for relocation.
3. The City of St. Louis being naive in giving a team such a sweetheart deal to even have the option of leaving before the EJD is paid off.

Also, my biggest lesson learned, is that it is always about money. Kroenke made the best business decision possible but there were other ways to go about this process without dragging the entire fanbase, taxpayers, and the St. Louis area through the mud.

That's my $.02

bluecoconuts

Legend
Maybe he was actually and really against the Rams move to LA just for the money, we can assume he was since that's what he said. And he is in fact correct in his feelings since one of the NFL's own guidelines was that a team can't just move for money.

If he was that against it, he could have made a bigger fight. He could have voted no still, he could have not supported Carson or the Chargers moving.

He may not have orchestrated the move, but his opinion mattered. He could have told his dad moving to Arizona for the money was wrong. I'm going to bet he didn't. What teams don't relocate for the money? Jerry Jones was right, they did it for the money, everyone does it for the money. Everything these guys do is for the money. Jerry Jones just isn't lying about why he's doing it.

Bidwell was a Carson supporter, and that is probably why Jerry Jones smacked him down. Sure, Bidwell is correct that it shouldn't be about the money, but he's going to say that guideline should be a sticking point for the Rams so TWO teams could up and move? That's a crock, and if he truely believed it, he wouldn't have backed Carson. He wanted to support his buddy.

All the owners do it for the money. They wouldn't be NFL owners if they didn't.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
thank you Mr Obvious, doesnt make not following your own guidelines right, the ownership in the NFL are a bunch of hypocrites and liars.

So you know it's obvious that the nfl and owners only follow the rules when it suits them yet you keep crying about them not following the rules. Why?

They were shown a proposal that was too good to deny. They made the right business decision. They're businessmen after all.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Missing the point...........he didn't do it, his father did, he had NOTHING to do with it he was a college kid for fucks sake. He isn't his father is any way shape or form and in fact even fans who hated his father (rightfully so) will tell you he is a very good owner. It's like blaming one of your kids for something you did can't you see that?

Everybody in this thread gets that and knows that Jerry wasn't referring specifically to him when he said "you guys moved to Phoenix" except for you it seems.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If he was that against it, he could have made a bigger fight. He could have voted no still, he could have not supported Carson or the Chargers moving.

He may not have orchestrated the move, but his opinion mattered. He could have told his dad moving to Arizona for the money was wrong. I'm going to bet he didn't. What teams don't relocate for the money? Jerry Jones was right, they did it for the money, everyone does it for the money. Everything these guys do is for the money. Jerry Jones just isn't lying about why he's doing it.

Bidwell was a Carson supporter, and that is probably why Jerry Jones smacked him down. Sure, Bidwell is correct that it shouldn't be about the money, but he's going to say that guideline should be a sticking point for the Rams so TWO teams could up and move? That's a crock, and if he truely believed it, he wouldn't have backed Carson. He wanted to support his buddy.

All the owners do it for the money. They wouldn't be NFL owners if they didn't.

A 23 year old college kid's opinion mattered to a guy who had owned the team while said kid was still swimming in his balls? He was born two years after Bill got the team for fucks sake.

OK if you say so, he had something to do with it. But I'm not sure how you can say his opinion mattered. Not too many people who own a business will ask a kid who is 23 to have an opinion that "mattered" to the decades old family owned football team. That's a BIG reach.

Nobody knows what he said to his father or didn't say. But we DO KNOW what he said to the owners. How do we know he didnt' say that to his father? Maybe he has some level of principles that some of the other owners don't. Maybe he really does think it was wrong to allow this to happen, and he isn't the only one that thought it either.

And even if he agreed with what his father did years ago when he was 23, maybe he has changed and now thinks that isn't a good idea for teams to do and it isn't a good idea for the NFL? Do you see that?

Last word on the subject............

The apple could not have fallen FARTHER from the tree in this case. Bill Bidwell is one of the most reviled owners ever and for good reason, his son has done a ten times better job with the family business.

I'd rather have Jr. than Kroenke owning the Rams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Everybody in this thread gets that and knows that Jerry wasn't referring specifically to him when he said "you guys moved to Phoenix" except for you it seems.

Then according to your logic neither did Jerry Jones.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They DID approve two teams, just not for Carson.
No. They approved the option for two teams. The second team is anything but a given. Approving Carson would have been an immediate two team deal.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No. They approved the option for two teams. The second team is anything but a given. Approving Carson would have been an immediate two team deal.

No, the stadium in LA is required to house two teams and Kroenke has agreed to that.

So he has agreed to build the stadium with office space/locker rooms/etc for two home teams like they did for the Jets/Giants.

The only question is the other team. And when.