"The Wow Factor" - Real Story behind NFL to LA/Jerry Jones Merged Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's the opposite. Scrappy tailgating in a parking garage, or no tailgating at all will make the experience less fun and could reduce attendance. Seems like it may hurt his bottom line.

I don't know that it will... LA fans haven't really had tailgating for a very long time.. They don't do it before Kings/Clippers/Lakers games, and it's banned at Dodger games.. They're able to do it, albeit somewhat limited, at USC and UCLA games, and I'm sure they'll be able to in a limited way before Rams games as well...

Nobody really misses tailgating at Staples because LA Live is right there, if people want food, there are plenty of places to get it... Of course that means extra cost, but the reality of LA is that people are used to paying more money for the different events... The park is going to have different restaurants and things where people can get food before the game, and they'll likely have tailgating at the Forum since the parking lot there is pretty big.

Parking garages will be a pain, but LA should be able to make it work... After all Disneyland gets tens of thousands of visitors each day, and they have parking garages... The main difference would be that with the stadium people will be leaving at the same time, but that's why they're adding a metro stop to help with the traffic... LA Metro sucks, but it's better than nothing... I'm sure it'll all part of the plan, people will do what they do at Staples... Wait for the traffic to die out a little by looking around the shops or maybe get some food, which means more money for Kroenke. Nothing is accidental, this is what Kroenke does.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
MB was making a point, one that he has a right to make and Jerruh was wrong to say "you did it for the money" because MB didn't in fact DO ANYTHING. This is like blaming you for something your brother or father did at their job while you were still in school.

And by the way he was bringing up a point about relocation guidelines........but that turned out to be a bunch of bullcrap too.

Bidwell should know the history of his own team and stfu.

And the guidelines mean nothing when such an outstanding proposal was put forward. It would have been a travesty if it was voted down.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
It's a business, that's all it is, any emotional connection any customer feels to the team is a complete fabrication, created by the NFL to get your money into their pocket.

As such I'll treat it as such. I'll have no problem cheering on the Seahawks when I visit Seattle later this year, I believe my experience will be enhanced by cheering with the 12th man rather than against.

I have no problem with saying that Fisher's brand of football is boring and ineffective, in the same way I'd have no problem criticising the car I own for it's slow acceleration or a restaurant I enjoy for bringing out my food a bit too cold.

It's why I'll laugh at anyone claiming to be a better fan than anyone else, being a better fan means you've bought into the NFL's marketing gimmick more than someone else has, congratulations.

~lyser

Rookie
Yeah ^^^^^^what RAG said.

When you are in business mode - it is about the money. Sure, a million showers doesn't wash off the slime, but it is what it is. How long you lived in this capitalist society? Capitalism is about $$$$ - it's cut throat and he who dies with the most toys wins, and I intend to win. Way of our sick world.

When I am selling in my executive sales job, I FUCKING SELL. I don't care about money, but I gotta make alot to support my family and my baby door ex-wife. So yeah, I need a lot of money. I never "lie" - I just tell 'em what they wanna hear. It is business. Take the emotion out - save that for the bedroom.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That is a horribly slanted piece, and why wouldn't it be considering ESPN is owned by Disney....

nighttrain

Legend
always remember, The NFL is a business, to many players and particularly fans forget this
train

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a business, that's all it is, any emotional connection any customer feels to the team is a complete fabrication, created by the NFL to get your money into their pocket.

As such I'll treat it as such. I'll have no problem cheering on the Seahawks when I visit Seattle later this year, I believe my experience will be enhanced by cheering with the 12th man rather than against.

I have no problem with saying that Fisher's brand of football is boring and ineffective, in the same way I'd have no problem criticising the car I own for it's slow acceleration or a restaurant I enjoy for bringing out my food a bit too cold.

It's why I'll laugh at anyone claiming to be a better fan than anyone else, being a better fan means you've bought into the NFL's marketing gimmick more than someone else has, congratulations.

what a load of shit.

it's a sport we (i'm not sure about you) love to watch. the nfl didn't create my emotional connection to anything other than providing a terrific form of entertainment. everything else they do turns me off the sport.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/13/grubman-bristles-at-rumor-hell-land-with-l-a-rams/

Grubman bristles at rumor he’ll land with L.A. Rams
Posted by Mike Florio on February 13, 2016

NFL executive V.P. Eric Grubman became the in-house point man for the league’s return to Los Angeles. He emerged, as chronicled in a lengthy item from Seth Wickersham and Don Van Natta, Jr. of ESPN the Magazine, as a perceived supporter of the Stan Kroenke’s desire to move the Rams to L.A.

Grubman apparently also surfaced within the league’s rumor mill, as noted in the ESPN article, as a candidate to land a cushy gig with the Rams after they return to L.A. The ESPN article calls the rumors “persistent,” creating a belief by some that Grubman was an “agent for Inglewood.

Via Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Grubman takes umbrage at the notion he’ll land with the Rams.

It couldn’t be further from the truth,” Grubman said two days before the Super Bowl, via Thomas. “I was personally insulted by that. I don’t like that implication or insinuation. It could not be further from the truth.”

The overall dynamics remain unusual. The ESPN article reports that Grubman at one point submitted a bid in the blind auction that resulted in Kroenke securing the land on which the new Rams stadium will be built. Which placed Grubman (or whoever he was representing in that stage of the process) at odds with Kroenke.

Now that Grubman has helped Kroenke leave for L.A., perhaps Grubman can help someone else return to St. Louis.

“I think it’s all about what St. Louis wants,” Grubman told Thomas. “If St. Louis wants to be an NFL city, they’ve got a hell of a chance of being one. If they don’t, or they’re ambivalent about it, then it’s a lot tougher.”

Ultimately, it comes down to how deep the politicians are willing to dig in the public coffers. Or, as in the case of Kroenke and the Rams, whether an owner is hell bent on moving his team to St. Louis, even if he has to pay for the stadium himself.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/13/grubman-bristles-at-rumor-hell-land-with-l-a-rams/

Grubman bristles at rumor he’ll land with L.A. Rams
Posted by Mike Florio on February 13, 2016

NFL executive V.P. Eric Grubman became the in-house point man for the league’s return to Los Angeles. He emerged, as chronicled in a lengthy item from Seth Wickersham and Don Van Natta, Jr. of ESPN the Magazine, as a perceived supporter of the Stan Kroenke’s desire to move the Rams to L.A.

Grubman apparently also surfaced within the league’s rumor mill, as noted in the ESPN article, as a candidate to land a cushy gig with the Rams after they return to L.A. The ESPN article calls the rumors “persistent,” creating a belief by some that Grubman was an “agent for Inglewood.

Via Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Grubman takes umbrage at the notion he’ll land with the Rams.

It couldn’t be further from the truth,” Grubman said two days before the Super Bowl, via Thomas. “I was personally insulted by that. I don’t like that implication or insinuation. It could not be further from the truth.”

The overall dynamics remain unusual. The ESPN article reports that Grubman at one point submitted a bid in the blind auction that resulted in Kroenke securing the land on which the new Rams stadium will be built. Which placed Grubman (or whoever he was representing in that stage of the process) at odds with Kroenke.

Now that Grubman has helped Kroenke leave for L.A., perhaps Grubman can help someone else return to St. Louis.

“I think it’s all about what St. Louis wants,” Grubman told Thomas. “If St. Louis wants to be an NFL city, they’ve got a hell of a chance of being one. If they don’t, or they’re ambivalent about it, then it’s a lot tougher.”

Ultimately, it comes down to how deep the politicians are willing to dig in the public coffers. Or, as in the case of Kroenke and the Rams, whether an owner is hell bent on moving his team to St. Louis, even if he has to pay for the stadium himself.
I hope the Rams hire Grubman. He's a smart guy and I think he would help the Rams transition to Los Angeles.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

They just proved they wanted the Rams and this DELETED helped them leave and he has the nerve to say that..........WOW this guy is out of touch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's the opposite. Scrappy tailgating in a parking garage, or no tailgating at all will make the experience less fun and could reduce attendance. Seems like it may hurt his bottom line.

Well, less tailgating likely means more food sold in the stadium - so more to his bottom line. Of course, some will end up eating in restaurants outside the stadium but on the property - making the leases more valuable and likely to be more expensive. Keep in mind that retail leases usually include a percentage of receipts for the location - so again more money for Kroenke.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

This whole parking garage thing. From my understanding, the only parking garage is actually VIP parking. Like they are going to tailgate? The other areas are open and actually adjacent to park areas. I am going to guess that tailgating won't be as big of an issue as some are trying to make it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They just proved they wanted the Rams and this DELETED helped them leave and he has the nerve to say that..........WOW this guy is out of touch.
Come on Les. You of all people know this is not allowed here.

Your point about Bidwell is kind of ridiculous IMO. Everyone knows his family did it for the money. He had no retort - right? Georgia more than any owner I ever have heard of did it for the money. Did Stan do it for the money? Of course. Were there other factors that soured the deal early on? No doubt. Spanos tried? Tell that to the fans of SD. Neither he nor his dad were ever either clear about what the wanted nor were willing to spend. They wanted a stadium for essentially what they would get in a G4 deal. That likely has not changed - just now they get $300 million instead of $200 and would only be on the hook for $50 of it. Alex Spanos was essentially a slum lord and low income apartment developer. Yeah - great guy who loves his city. :rolleyes:

tonyl711

Starter
Why is Spanos, (worth a couple billion) such a saint? Don't recall him EVER offering to put up any money towards the stadium he wants the city to build.
SK had a plan IN PLACE, and when Spanos, (and Davis), realized "freak, he's serious", out of the blue, the Carson project (basically just a rendering) appears.
Led by the ultimate good guys - Goldman freaking Sachs. And these crap writers always inferring SK married his money - he was worth $3 Billion when he married the heiress. Look it up.
Christ I'm tired of reading this crap. The smartest guy won. This is America - that's (thank God) how it works. Be glad, and get the freak over it.
kma

tonyl711

Starter
Come on Les. You of all people know this is not allowed here.

Your point about Bidwell is kind of ridiculous IMO. Everyone knows his family did it for the money. He had no retort - right? Georgia more than any owner I ever have heard of did it for the money. Did Stan do it for the money? Of course. Were there other factors that soured the deal early on? No doubt. Spanos tried? Tell that to the fans of SD. Neither he nor his dad were ever either clear about what the wanted nor were willing to spend. They wanted a stadium for essentially what they would get in a G4 deal. That likely has not changed - just now they get $300 million instead of $200 and would only be on the hook for $50 of it. Alex Spanos was essentially a slum lord and low income apartment developer. Yeah - great guy who loves his city. :rolleyes:
but Stan is a great guy who loves his city? he is a liar, simple as that, went on record saying i was born and raised in Missouri, brought the team to St Louis and will do whatever i can to keep it there, then has the balls to state "people here know me and know i am honorable". personally i hope he gets caught up in some of his shady dealings and gets thrown in prison.

tonyl711

Starter

Compared to the people in the world Trade Centre, all the police and firemen that went there, the people in the planes that were flown into it and the pentagon, the people in the pentagon that were trying to work out where $2.3 trillion dollars disappeared from the military budget, I'd say the people of St Louis got off pretty lightly when screwed over by an entity chasing the dollar.

really? your honestly going to compare this to a terrorist attack?