The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes the Rams have said as much. I'm sure they are trying to do something. The player has changed the game mid budget, he's made his stand. The parameters are in place and the team has been working within those parameters, now the player steps forward and makes demands that take matters outside the workable parameters and the team has to suffer.

Here's where we differ: I don't give a crap about his deal. You on the other hand, continually refer to market value, contract terms, whats fair and whats not. I'm a blue collar guy, so I don't sympathize with people fighting for 120M when the offer is "only" 112M. My take is, get your ass to work while letting process plays out. He's already influenced the process 2 years early. He's already gone to Human resources and filed his complaint. Now, go back to work.

Your take seems to be that AD needs to be treated different than other employees, treated more fairly, compensated more. You dont know what fair market is, but for some reason you seem to care that he gets it. Blackmailing the team is to you, OK, because well....others do it too.

Now....having said all that, I will admit that the entire opinion changes if its contract year. At that point, the Rams should have prepared for the negotiations. At that point, if there is an impasse, then its two entities working on a deal. But I cannot side with the player who is blackmailing a team.
The team has agreed he outplayed his contract and deserves a new one.
Why arent you mad at them?

…..

Legend
The team has agreed he outplayed his contract and deserves a new one.
Why arent you mad at them?

I aint mad bro. I just do not sympathize with the player in this case.

Worth noting is that just because the Rams think he needs a new contract does not make that contract doable at this time.

Who knows....we may all be surprised when this is over. Demoff may be a hero and AD may be Mayor of Los Angeles when the smoke clears.

fearsomefour

Legend
Quinn and Barron have been on the practice field. Donald has not.
Of course....
Who knows how ready any of them are for the regular season.
Donald needs to get in and learn his role in the D however, but, less concerned with him, based on talent and health, than Quinn.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I aint mad bro. I just do not sympathize with the player in this case.

Worth noting is that just because the Rams think he needs a new contract does not make that contract doable at this time.

Who knows....we may all be surprised when this is over. Demoff may be a hero and AD may be Mayor of Los Angeles when the smoke clears.
Well I am not sympathizing either, I just dont know the facts. And once the negotiations are on, I do understand the hold out, particularly this year with all the injuries. If Donald gets hurt prior to signing a new deal, the team wont pay him any way. I just want the guy in horns, and put this mess behind us

fearsomefour

Legend
I hated the O Pace hold out too. The Rams should have let him go. The comp back then was two firsts. This just annoys me. He has a contract that he signed. Honor it. He'll get paid by the highest bidder in a few years. Meanwhile do your damn job.
Unless he was injured. A blown out ACL and he is not getting top dollar.
So, let a HOF player walk?
brilliant.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the way injuries are happening now and the way teams can cut players without giving them their entire contract, I'm neutral to it all. Do I want Donald to play ? Sure, but he could seriously injured himself at any moment and the rams would wash their hands with him

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
How credible is this guy?

I started paying attention to Allbright during the relocation saga. While Vinny was the Spanos/Davis guy, Allbright seemed to be the Kroenke guy. As far as internet rumor spreaders go, he seemed ok. He's interviewed Josh Kroenke on his radio show and the rumored speculation of speculated rumor is that Josh is an Allbright source.

Examples:
I posted a link yesterday from an interview on insidestl with this Benjamin Allbright ‎character. Come to find out, he is based in Denver and is Josh Kroenke's little scoop server boy. No clue how legit the info is, that says the Rams are 99.9% moving to LA, but it would seem as if Kroenke is using this guy to spew his propaganda. Just wanted to post that, since this guy is the only one that has come out and said almost 100%, he knows the outcome.
https://urbanstl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10523&start=2450

Usually this guy is full of shit but on the rare occasion he is right it seems like his source is Josh Kroenke. Willing to consider they are actually offering this. Also don't think Gruden takes it.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/5jbjar/allbright_on_gruden_to_rams_810mm_per_year_fully/

View: https://twitter.com/BringNFLtoSTL/status/664639425637322752

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Unless he was injured. A blown out ACL and he is not getting top dollar.
So, let a HOF player walk?
brilliant.

I already said on the trade Donald thread that you try to sign him. If not only trade for very good players, not draft picks. I won't pretend to know the cap implications but if he wants a Suh contract then a team has to ask if one DT is worth it. Seattle, among other teams, has a good dline without a 20 million dollar dt. It will certainly throw things out of whack, especially with a D.C. Who rightfully values olb and dbs most.

Being the best doesn't always equal the best value

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I want Donald back bad, but I'm worried about setting a precedence negotiating a new contract so early in his rookie deal.

I don't like this situation, at all.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I already said on the trade Donald thread that you try to sign him. If not only trade for very good players, not draft picks. I won't pretend to know the cap implications but if he wants a Suh contract then a team has to ask if one DT is worth it. Seattle, among other teams, has a good dline without a 20 million dollar dt. It will certainly throw things out of whack, especially with a D.C. Who rightfully values olb and dbs most.

Being the best doesn't always equal the best value

Elmgrovegnome,
This is a great post and I agree totally with your assessment of the DT position. Look, like a lot of Rams fans, I would like to get Donald signed but I am not in favor of a millstone-like contract that N. Suh signed. I believe it is going to cause Miami a lot of cap problems in the future.
Plus to be honest I have always ascribed to the BIll Polian concept that you pay the premium positions premium money and the not so-premium positions less money.
He says that on defense a pass rushing DE and a shut-down corner are your premium positions and need to be paid as such.
The fact of the matter is that Aaron Donald, as good as he is, does not play one of those positions.

I also liked your comment how the Squawks have a top 5 defense every year and yet, QUICK!, name their starting DTs. Heck the last one I thought they should have resigned was Brandon Mebane but they let him go and gave a ton of money to Earl Thomas and Kam Chancillor instead and......how has that worked for them?

~ArkyRamsFan~

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want Donald back bad, but I'm worried about setting a precedence negotiating a new contract so early in his rookie deal.

I don't like this situation, at all.
Precedent is already set. Heck both Quinn and Austin on the Rams already did it

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
AD has a lot more leverage than most here seem to think IMO.

False.

Unless he's asking for more than his proven value (which is ~ 21-22 mil/year right now IMO) then I'll blame the Rams for this.

False.
He is not worth more then 20M per year. That's top 10 QB money.

If they don't want to pay him then trade him, but you're not going to get a windfall of picks because you want to be cheap.

False.
If you think we wouldn't get a bounty of picks for Donald, give your head a shake.

What potentially elite draft picks will want to play for the Rams when they won't pay the best player in the NFL what he's shown he's worth. OTOH if the contract demand is in the top 10 QB money, then yeah they should play hardball.

True. But you're contradicting the shit out of yourself. The money you want to give him(21-22M per) is top 10 QB money.

I get it. People have opinions. But if you're incapable of seeing the two sides of the coin, you're opinion is going to have serious flaws. I want Donald back. But if he wants more money then Ben Roethlisberger or Tom Brady,take a hike Donald.

For reference, Brady makes 20.5M annual and Big Ben is at the top of your quote at I believe 21.9M annual, give or take.

bluecoconuts

Legend
rumored speculation of speculated rumor is that Josh is an Allbright source

That actually seems pretty logical, and probably intentionally... Stan seems like the time of guy who'd intentionally leak things to the press to get a story or an update out there without needing to do it himself. If is his source, then I'd say he's pretty damn reliable, so lets hope.