The official Aaron Donald holdout thread - #Questfor100

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
That's because it does not exist.
The concept, sure, to a certain point. It's not amateur sports, it's not city league. It's a profession. A profession with a very short earning window.
"We not me" can be applied to roles if players, doing team work etc. in terms of pay, it doesn't exist, never has and really shouldn't.

That's why I rarely get enamored too much with individual players. I like the team. Players come and go. Its a rare occasion that I get worked up over a single player. If a player puts himself ahead of the team, there's a time and place for that. To take advantage of other extreme avenues that can cause harm to the team, I begin to consider cutting bait.

If anyone has a problem with earning lots of money in the short earnings window that you refer to, they can change career paths and go do something different where they might be happier.

As far as Aaron goes, I think he will report next Friday so he can have a week of practice before the season begins. If that doesn't happen, alot of fans are going to cut their bait too.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Donald has been accruing daily fines of $40,000 since he failed to report with veterans on July 28. That total now stands at about $1.2 million.

Even if the Rams get creative in handling these Fines, this ^ Figure should be pointed out to Donald! Not his agents. Donald!
" Report man, so your in game shape for the Colts!" " Tell them to get him signed Stan!!"

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What happens to this Negative Hold Out Matter when the Rams D becomes this season's most dominated Defense without Donald ?....I guess that would be the last thing AD & his Agent would desire & hope for ?

Before I tie up the major future part of this teams salary cap in one player I would have to know 100% sure that AD can be just as effective in this new 34 D before any contract is offered.......AD had not taken up 1 play yet in this defense :notsure:but the Rams have already been involved in offers so it appears they have gone further than I would have:sick:.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Really? What is the Rams offer that he is "selfishly" not accepting?

He's selfish because he's holding out in a situation he cannot win at this point. He has a substantial offer on the table and the Rams have publicly stated, ad nauseum, that they know he's outplayed his contract and are willing to give him a raise. But he also has two years left on his contract, with the Rams able to franchise him for two more, so he basically has no leverage, but still apparently wants to blackmail the Rams. This is to his teammates determent and to the organization's detriment - even after they've acknowledged he's going to get a huge raise.

He's trying to strong-arm the team now, and that's where I lose any sympathy for him.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
His fines almost exceed his contract. So he should write a 1.2 mill check, show up for work and that is "we not me"?
I dont know if he's being selfish or not because I dont know either side of the story. What I do know is that he wanted a new contract and the Rams agreed he deserved one. If he wants more than what he's worth, sure its selfish, conversely if they are offering less than what he's worth, he is not being selfish by not accepting.

Conversely Ogletree wants a new contract too, but he is on the job

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who says you get to decide that Aaron is in the right here? Because other people did it so its right? Other people jumped off a bridge, you gonna do that too? I'm not buying the crap. Your word is your bond. freak all the other crap that you or anyone else can drag into it.

You want a salary adjustment, you handle it professionally, but you also Man the freak up and take your ass to work and continue your job as agreed while working to adjust your agreement.
You're funny. Did you happen to read what I wrote?
I dot get to decide, and sorry to tell you, but neither do you....
You know who does get to decide? The Rams. And guess what? They have already said that he deserves a new deal.
And unless you know what the terms are, you have no right to cast aspersions on Donald

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's selfish because he's holding in a situation he cannot win at this point. He has a substantial offer on the table and the Rams have publicly stated, ad nauseum, that they know he's outplayed his contract and are willing to give him a raise. But he also has two years left on his contract, with the Rams able to franchise him for two more, so he basically has no leverage, but still apparently wants to blackmail the Rams. This is to his teammates determent and to the organization's detriment - even after they've acknowledged he's going to get a huge raise.

He's trying to strong-arm the team now, and that's where I lose any sympathy for him.
What you are doing is making assumptions without knowing the facts. What if this offer is substantially below market, like 10 mill a year? He's "selfish" if he doesnt take that?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
At least the Rams Org knows in this case that this Defensive Captain Ogletree has proven in TC & pre season that he can be an effective 34 D strong side interior LB'er. Something AD has yet to do. From my perspective I would place Tree's pending new contract offer in front & on top of AD offer very soon like in about 9/9/2017.

Three team have big cap funds available right now for AD. 9ers/Brown & the Jags. Rams are @ the bottom of the NFL in cap space.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He also hasnt outplayed his contract the way Donald has and is getting paid 8 million this year.
What player in the final year of his deal doesn't want a new contract?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
deadlines spur activity. We are talking about a 9 figure deal here. It'll come together.

I'd bet this holdout is eating at Donald as much as it is eating at the Rams.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
What you are doing is making assumptions without knowing the facts. What if this offer is substantially below market, like 10 mill a year? He's "selfish" if he doesnt take that?

You would have a point if that's the case, but I seriously doubt it is. Multiple sources have used the term "substantial" with regard to the offer he has received, and it's not likely they use that term if it's significantly under market value. There is an awful lot of stuff flying around about the 3-year opt out clause too, and if that's the case, it's even more insane for him to expect the Rams to pony up a sh!load of guaranteed money and then give him the option to walk away after 3 years. The Rams would be insane to offer him such a contract, and any sane person would realize that.

All that being said, where I'm not making assumptions is this: He's under contract for two more years, and the Rams can franchise him twice after that. They have at least four more years they can control his rights, possibly more if Donald ends up forfeiting years of service towards free agency. In other words, the Rams hold the cards. Donald isn't going to gain himself anything else by holding out at this point, but he is costing his teammates and eventually will cost himself if he doesn't get his sh!t together and report so they can continue negotiating.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
You would have a point if that's the case, but I seriously doubt it is. Multiple sources have used the term "substantial" with regard to the offer he has received, and it's not likely they use that term if it's significantly under market value. There is an awful lot of stuff flying around about the 3-year opt out clause too, and if that's the case, it's even more insane for him to expect the Rams to pony up a sh!load of guaranteed money and then give him the option to walk away after 3 years. The Rams would be insane to offer him such a contract, and any sane person would realize that.

All that being said, where I'm not making assumptions is this: He's under contract for two more years, and the Rams can franchise him twice after that. They have at least four more years they can control his rights, possibly more if Donald ends up forfeiting years of service towards free agency. In other words, the Rams hold the cards. Donald isn't going to gain himself anything else by holding out at this point, but he is costing his teammates and eventually will cost himself if he doesn't get his sh!t together and report so they can continue negotiating.

Neither side is leaking numbers (which is a really good sign, by the way). So far, this is just a 9 figure negotiation and those kind of deals often need time contraints in order to come to fruition - not constraints placed on one side by the other, but the fact that the regular season is coming near is a deadline that matters to both sides.

We don't know what the sticking points are - we are merely assuming. What we do know is - the Rams aren't complaining and Donald's camp isn't complaining - both sides are conducting business. Both sides are hoping that the other feels the pressure of the looming season and as the season gets closer and closer, a deal is more and more likely.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Substantial does not necessarily mean fair. An 8 year 100 mill contract is substantial, but wouldnt be fair. I agree, there are a lot of rumors, but no facts. The 3 year opt out? Who started that? Again, just a bunch of rumor and nothing factual. Yet some are taking a hard stance on one side or the other.
He may be greedy, the Rams may be cheap, but I'll hold out on judging either side until I know what the facts are.
The ship sailed on the "he's under contract for 2 more years" thing when the Rams essentially agreed the contract should be void. And lesser players than Donald have had their contracts re-done early, so why shouldnt he? Looking a t you Tavon Austin...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Actually the reverse....when/what game/week will AD return? See, it's all in the phrasing....