The Most Boring Play in All of Sports Has Been Changed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 not seeing anything:
It's a completely pointless change. It doesn't change the play. It just makes it less likely to be successful.
"PATs from the 15-yard line will equate to a FG try of 32-33 yards. #NFL teams made 59-61 of those last season, up from recent years."

I think that's the whole point. They want to make the decision to go for two instead of one happen more often. The cumulative effect will be more exciting. I think that's what they think. There were only two missed last year but that is not the norm.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our ex-kicker Josh Brown chimes in:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...wn-thinks-extra-point-rule-adds-to-his-value/

Giants’ Josh Brown thinks extra point rule adds to his value
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 20, 2015

Giants kicker Josh Brown believes the NFL’s new rule moving extra point kicks back by 13 yards will make him a little more valuable.

Brown said after the NFL adopted the new rule that he thinks some kickers will struggle with the longer extra points, particularly in bad weather. But Brown is confident he personally won’t have any problems with it, which is why he thinks he’ll become a more important member of his team.

I’m excited about it,” Brown said. “I believe it adds higher value to a person that come out in December in bad weather and still be consistent. Those qualities are still very exciting to me. It’s a play that you won’t turn the TV off for anymore. Every point matters in this game and now with the longer extra point, there’s added difficulty to it. It’s not a gimme. There are levels of excitement that are going to make the game more appealing when scores are very, very tight.”

The reality is that the new rule changes extra points from the equivalent of a 20-yard field goal to the equivalent of a 33-yard field goal — which is still very easy for an NFL kicker. This isn’t a major change. But if it makes reliable kickers even slightly more important, then it’s a change that reliable kickers should welcome.
-------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Brown_(American_football)#St._Louis_Rams

On February 29, 2008, Brown signed with the St. Louis Rams who made him the NFL's highest paid kicker at the time. The Seahawks had offered comparable money, but with an extra year and back loaded the whole deal. Which also would have made Brown the highest paid kicker, but he took offense to the fact that the Seahawks'contract was something Brown got offered after visiting the St. Louis Rams.

In an interview on Seattle sports radio station KJR 950 Brown stated that he had not wanted to be a "slave to the businessman," a statement that was ridiculed by Seattle media and fans. On August 13, 2011 Josh made a 60-yard field goal in a preseason game against the Colts. Had it been a regular season game, it would have recorded as a career long, but in preseason games stats do not record.

The Rams cut him in April 2012 in preparation for drafting Greg Zuerlein in the 2012 NFL Draft. He was in the final year of his $14.2 million 5-year deal with the Rams.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/20/pat-could-move-back-even-farther/

PAT could move back even farther
Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2015

post.jpg
Getty Images

The NFL has decided to push back the one-point extra point to the 15, converting the try from a 19-yard kick to a 32-yarder. The league’s V.P. of officiating now says that it could be pushed back even farther.

Via Bob Glauber of Newsday, the NFL will consider an additional change if the conversion rate doesn’t fall significantly below 99 percent.

During last year’s limited experiment in the preseason with the PAT snap from the 15, kickers made 94.3 percent of the extra points.

The goal is to make a meaningless, perfunctory play more meaningful. Some think there’s a better way to do it than to make it what will still be a mostly automatic field goal.

Narrowing the uprights would make it a lot more challenging than moving the extra point,” Broncos kicker Connor Barth told Nicki Jhabvala of the Denver Post. “Most guys can hit 33-yarders in their sleep.”

(Be careful what you wish for, Barth.)

Regardless, tinkering with the extra point will place more of a premium on making shorter kicks.

“It would weed out the strong-legged kickers who aren’t accurate,” Barth said. “It would make our value go up.”

And by weeding out kickers with stronger legs who aren’t accurate, NFL teams may end up being less inclined to try longer field goals, opting instead to go for it on fourth down.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/20/nfl-extra-point-new-rule-passes/

When the time came at the league meetings in San Francisco to discuss changing the extra point, there wasn’t much debate. Insiders say the discussion lasted less than a half hour. In the end the owners were ready for a change in the way the NFL treats the extra point and two-point conversion—and they clearly are not finished tinkering with the points after touchdown.

Owners voted 30-2 (only Washington and Oakland were negative) to move the extra-point line of scrimmage from the 2-yard line to the 15, and to keep the two-point conversion at the 2, and to allow the defense to be able to score two points by running back failed PATs or two-point plays. That’s the biggest change in the NFL scoring system in the 95-year history of the league.

And I’m told the owners could change the system again in 2016. One of the significant and salient points made during Tuesday’s vote was this: The measure passed for one season only. That means teams wanted a change to what’s become a gimme—99.5 percent of all PAT kicks have been made in the past four seasons—but wanted to see how the new system worked before doing something revolutionary. The league wants to promote exciting plays after touchdown; just 59 two-point plays were attempted in 2014. If the new extra point doesn’t motivate coaches to go for two more, look for the owners next offseason to vote to push the PAT back eight or 10 yards further so some drama is created in the touchdown conversion. - Peter King

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nah - I sigh every time I see the intentional walk. But I have never watched a game thinking it would be better by changing the distance on the extra point. I have thought just about every time that the line of scrimmage spike was crap.
Damn right. I've been harping on this for years. It's LITERALLY intentional grounding.
Ditto's guys! I'm with you!
IMG_51954121005792.jpeg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You want to see more two point conversions? You want to make those things more exciting? Why don't you simply force teams to go for two?

Or better yet? Don't change something that isn't broken. How about you decide to get rid of the incompetent refs at the top and get the new ones to be full-time employees that enforce rules the way they were meant to be interpreted?

Alan

Legend
Memento all tactical:
You want to see more two point conversions? You want to make those things more exciting? Why don't you simply force teams to go for two?
I agree with your thought about not changing it (although all old people hate change :LOL:) but I disagree with your take on what I quoted. I like strategic decisions to be part of the game too.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Since the Rams are 100% committed to the run I fully expect them to be going for 2 after every TD. If not Fisher better have a good explanation why not.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I agree with your thought about not changing it (although all old people hate change :LOL:) but I disagree with your take on what I quoted. I like strategic decisions to be part of the game too.

But this isn't strategy. This is just forcing teams to rely on the kicker like they did in the 1700s. It's gone backwards, not forwards with that rule. Besides, if they still make it, they're going to move the PAT back even more. Is that what you want?

There's infinitely more strategy in a two-point conversion than there is with a PAT. With a two-point conversion, you have the ability to choose between any of your goal line plays (although I'd personally make the two point conversion at the five instead of the one/two. Anyone can score at the two. It's a lot harder to score at the ten.

I'd rather see that than see a kicker blow a game on a PAT. The NFL should be decided by skill, not luck.

Alan

Legend
Memento with this:
But this isn't strategy. This is just forcing teams to rely on the kicker like they did in the 1700s. It's gone backwards, not forwards with that rule. Besides, if they still make it, they're going to move the PAT back even more. Is that what you want?

There's infinitely more strategy in a two-point conversion than there is with a PAT. With a two-point conversion, you have the ability to choose between any of your goal line plays (although I'd personally make the two point conversion at the five instead of the one/two. Anyone can score at the two. It's a lot harder to score at the ten.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying in your first paragraph because it actually does the opposite of forcing teams to rely on their kicker. I'm missing something there. As for your question in that paragraph, what I want is for them to stop trying to fix things that aren't broken. I don't agree with this or any other rule change when it comes to the PAT.

There are several strategies and types of strategies to be considered here and I think you're focusing on only one of them. Deciding whether to go for 1 point or 2 points is the strategy I'm referring to. You're talking about tactical strategies (what play to call when going for 2 points) after you've already made the strategic decision I'm talking about. I like them both to be in the mix.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the idea of narrowing the goal posts more than any of these proposals.
OK... this is silly... but I've heard the phrase "moving the goal posts" a lot over the years.

Want to make it really interesting? Have the goal posts move side-to-side two feet while making an extra point from the normal distance.
:LOL:

Alan

Legend
Amitar with this:
Since the Rams are 100% committed to the run I fully expect them to be going for 2 after every TD. If not Fisher better have a good explanation why not.
What's the connection between having a run centric O and going for two points? Having a pass centric O would still present the same dilemma after you score wouldn't it? It's not like your going to go for two points from the 15 yard line.

Ram65

Legend
OK... this is silly... but I've heard the phrase "moving the goal posts" a lot over the years.

Want to make it really interesting? Have the goal posts move side-to-side two feet while making an extra point from the normal distance.

Why not add the rotating windmill in front of the goal posts too!
:censored:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Woe to the lineman that holds on that play... now an extra point is being kicked from the 37-38 yard line.

Gives the defense incentive to come at that line hard.

Rams will likely have the youngest line in the league... I don't like how that sounds.

Moostache

Rookie
My first opinion was "why change it at all?" Not necessary....XP has been 'money' for decades...
My second opinion was "these proposed 'changes' don't really change much other than the return option..."

If they are serious about this - the idea of making the decision to go for 2 or 1 more relevant and the play itself more significant - the rule should be changed to eliminate the 1-point option (make ALL tries worth 2 points) and make the kick come from as far back as necessary to be a 50-50 chance, which would pretty much mirror the current success rate on 2-pt tries.

Make the coach choose between a long (I guess you'd have to be almost 50 yards out for the percentage to drop that much) 50-50 chance kick or a shorter 50-50 chance play from the 2.
As long as the kickers are making 59 of 61 attempts from 33 yards out, this change does nothing to the calculus of the decision making of the coaches and the success rate at that distance is hardly going to change the XP play either.

If they REALLY want to change things up, give the coach 2 options - go for 2 from the 3 yard line or go for 3 with a 50 yard kick. Talk about weather and home field advantage, especially wind and snow/rain making a huge impact then...a coach might end up trying a 50 yarder into the wind for the win instead of a 2-point coin flip for the tie...now THAT would be adding some drama to the XP!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If they REALLY want to change things up, give the coach 2 options - go for 2 from the 3 yard line or go for 3 with a 50 yard kick. Talk about weather and home field advantage, especially wind and snow/rain making a huge impact then...a coach might end up trying a 50 yarder into the wind for the win instead of a 2-point coin flip for the tie...now THAT would be adding some drama to the XP!!

I'd be up for this.

My second opinion was "these proposed 'changes' don't really change much other than the return option..."

And that is what I thought of the change too. Maybe the hope is that a possibility of a return would make the defense play harder, trying to get the ball on PATs. Since now they pretty much just watch them happen. I don't mind the change at all and it is just a starting point after all.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You mean the spike to stop the clock? Isn't that just a football move? Whats wrong with it?
Because it's not a real play. They are worried about the extra point being a gimme play? Has a QB ever missed hitting the turf? Make him throw an out toward a receiver or at least in the direction of any other eligible receiver. Talk about adding excitement. Let a CB jump an out route to seal the game. Now THAT is a football move.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Make it ten feet and I'm in.