The Most Boring Play in All of Sports Has Been Changed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I like letting the defense score 2 if they run it back.

but I would keep it where it is - both for 1 and 2.

I agree, ball possession should be the most important thing in the game, if you turn it over in that position, you deserve to have two put up on you.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If the issue is that the 2 yard line would be 50/50, move the PAT back to where it would be 50/50.

So, you can run it back for points but it's not a TO though, right? Otherwise you would run it back to the one inch and kneel.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Wow. I'm amazed they changed it. So you're down 10-16 and you need a touchdown to win it. BUT WAIT, you need to kick a fucking 35 yard field goal to actually win the game. What a load of shit.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Interesting. Now I wonder how many teams will try the fake PAT? I'll give you a hint: 0. Why? Because the defense will already be playing it soft and it makes teams would rather the opponent know they're going for 2 from the 2 yard line instead of fooling the opponent from the 15.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'm in the dont fix what aint broken catagory.
You know what I'd like fixed?
The automatic tv time out AFTER the meaningless extra point.
Heck throw in the automatic tv time out AFTER the following kick off.

I dont care that its automatic, I hate the 5-6 minutes of dead time between the TD actually scored and the 1st down snap on the next official play

Absolutely agree with the ridiculous commercial time between a score and the next play from scrimmage (with the exception of the kick off) is just horrible..It's probably even worse than the TV timeouts...I hate those as well...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have a perfect way to change what the NFL is doing. Leave it the fuck alone.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Could see some more 2-point conversion attempts now.

View: https://twitter.com/DeanBlandino/status/600784195502280705

@DeanBlandino 2m2 minutes ago
The extra point rule for 2015 just changed. Snap for kick from the 15-yard line, 2-pt try stays at 2-yard line and defense can return.

They changed it!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/19/extra-point-tries-moved-to-the-15-yard-line/

Extra point tries moved to the 15-yard line
Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 19, 2015

One of the NFL’s staid elements is getting a shake up.

Extra points will be attempted from the 15-yard-line beginning in 2015, the NFL announced Tuesday. Owners approved the rules change, which makes the extra point a 32- or 33-yard attempt, at the league’s spring meeting in San Francisco.

Two-point conversions will continue to be snapped from the two-yard-line. However, defenses now can return fumbled or intercepted two-point tries for two points of their own. Blocked extra points can also be returned for two points.

According to the NFL’s Competition Committee, the extra point change is just for 2015, which could open the rule to be revisited in the future.

The rule passed 30-2, with Oakland and Washington voting against the measure, NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino said at a Tuesday afternoon press conference announcing the change.

Previously, extra points were snapped from the two-yard-line, making it a 19- or 20-yard attempt. These ultra-short kicks, with very few exceptions, have been drama-lacking events.

With kickers more accurate than ever, moving the conversions to the 15 might not have much of an impact on how teams approach post-touchdown scoring attempts. Nevertheless, this is certainly a new wrinkle for a play that was one of sport’s most utterly humdrum actions.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Most boring play ??? Followed closely by the intentional walk and EVERY minute of play during a futbol match...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The more I think of it - the more I like it. TDs aren't 7 anymore. They are 6 and a play.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I know. Let's kick it off Goodhell's head. Then I don't care what distance.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wow. I'm amazed they changed it. So you're down 10-16 and you need a touchdown to win it. BUT WAIT, you need to kick a freaking 35 yard field goal to actually win the game. What a load of crap.

Invest in accurate kickers.

Greg better work on that, he's got leg, but he needs to hit what he's aiming at.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Kickers just became a bit more important.

What will be really fun is watching the teams who don't have a good one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Invest in accurate kickers.

Greg better work on that, he's got leg, but he needs to hit what he's aiming at.
I'd rather they just quit trying to make the game cuter for the low attention span audience. Having an accurate kicker comes in just fine on every kick but the extra point. I'd personally rather see them get rid of the LOS spike. They're so worried about the integrity of the game and meaningful plays, get rid of THAT BS.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Kickers just became a bit more important.

What will be really fun is watching the teams who don't have a good one.
I'm guessing all it will do is form a new reason for fans to curse at their team. It's called and extra point for a reason and teams can always go for two if they want to go for a win. So after your team marches or grinds its way down the filed to score a touchdown, we're going to leave it up to a guy who plays maybe four or five plays a game using pretty much one appendage to decide the outcome? These guys need to stop "fixing" things. It won't make anything more exciting. It's a freaking guy kicking the ball from what should still be a very makeable distance. All it will do is piss me off when and if my team's kicker misses.

Ram65

Legend
People seem to resist change. I will have to think about this.

The two point conversion got a little riskier.

Moving the PAT back does give the kicker MORE influence in the game.

No fake PAT and go for 2 points.....

Doesn't seem to be good....Gee Zee better practice the 32 yarders...