Sounds like it's Goff..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Mark my words and save this post, it will be a mistake if they draft Goff! I am 100% convinced of that.

Would you care to elaborate. You have been against this from the start but I don't recall you saying what it was that you dislike so much about Goff's game.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Would you care to elaborate. You have been against this from the start but I don't recall you saying what it was that you dislike so much about Goff's game.

He's just swinging at the fences on the off chance that he can say, "I told you so!" later on down the road. Tahoe, I would love to know your reasoning behind why you think Goff will be a bust. What film have you watched that gives you this impression?

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I just don't think Goff is as good as everyone is now making him out to be. I don't like that he is a "quiet leader", I don't like how his deep balls floats, I see a good but not great QB. Its more of they will regret not drafting Wentz as I see him be a special player that will be great. The rams need great not good. I'm sorry I'm not on the Goff love train but this is what my gut tells me.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff was in a unique situation...almost like Matt Ryan. His teammates were so bad that he could actually be better immediately in the NFL, once his mind catches up. His teammates on the Rams will be much closer talent wise to other NFL teams than his Cal team was to other pac 12 teams.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
He's just swinging at the fences on the off chance that he can say, "I told you so!" later on down the road. Tahoe, I would love to know your reasoning behind why you think Goff will be a bust. What film have you watched that gives you this impression?
Im not saying Goff will be a bust but I don't think he is or will be as good as Wentz. Goff will be good but Wentz will be great and you cant pass on greatness.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think both QB are going to be great, and will be happy with either
But 2 things really annoy me
Goff-
I'm tired of hearing about his accuracy. Yes it has been great at college level, but so have many other College QB. When the bullets are flying in the NFL we'll know for sure how accurate he is

Wentz
I'm tired about hearing That he's a "winner". The team is a dynasty, won before him and won without him. He may be great but he's not the straw that stirs the drink

Thursday cant come fast enough. I cant wait to have a "Favorite NFL QB" again
Wonder who it ill be...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
1. If you don't think Goff has leadership skills then you're crazy. He went through hell his freshman year and took that team from 1-11 to 8-5 with a bowl win. Wentz went to a winning team and continued to win. The guy before him but up similar stats and so did his fill-in when Wentz was injured.

2. Arm talent. What do you mean by this? Do you mean arm strength or overall arm talent? Wentz undoubtedly has a stronger arm but Goff has better accuracy and touch. JaMarcus Russell had unbelievable arm strength but didn't have great touch or accuracy. Not saying Wentz is like Russell but the point is the same, arm talent doesn't just mean arm strength.

3. Goff is a very cerebral player and he will not struggle with pro concepts. He was still in charge of the LOS and calling protections at Cal. A lot of times people over analyze this scheme-fit stuff. Aaron Rodgers can out of the same system.

4. Yet again, if you don't think it takes competitive fire to take the pounding Goff did at Cal and still get up every play then I'm not sure what to tell you. Just because the guy isn't as outspoken doesn't mean he doesn't have a burning desire to be the best.
I don't have to knock Goff in order to prop up Wentz. I like both QB's. I like Wentz a little more. Sounds like you don't like Wentz....or you just want to debate.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I think both QB are going to be great, and will be happy with either
But 2 things really annoy me
Goff-
I'm tired of hearing about his accuracy. Yes it has been great at college level, but so have many other College QB. When the bullets are flying in the NFL we'll know for sure how accurate he is

Wentz
I'm tired about hearing That he's a "winner". The team is a dynasty, won before him and won without him. He may be great but he's not the straw that stirs the drink

Thursday cant come fast enough. I cant wait to have a "Favorite NFL QB" again
Wonder who it ill be...

The only reason I praise Goff's accuracy as much as I do is because he's done it under immense pressure. His O-line at Cal was absolutely atrocious. He is one of the few players who will have more time to throw in the NFL than he did in college. I think that's why his accuracy and footwork is so substantial. Most QBs can be accurate when they have tons of time to throw, but very few can be that accurate under that kind of pressure.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hard to go against overwhelming reports that it's Goff.
not really....
Again, unless you are a scout just screwing around on a message board - you are operating on a small fraction of the amount of information that the Rams have at their disposal. Even if you have read every article, watched every game of each prospect, listen to every analyst, watched the combine, pro days, etc - you still only have a snippet of what they have.
All you need are eyes man....background stuff is about character. If a guy can play, and you've watched a lil football, everyone can usually tell who can play.....
2. Reps - you can know the whiteboard and the Xs and Os all the live long day but until you are running a play and reacting in real time - you aren't really learning it. Goff has twice as many real reps as CW does.
I'd have to say that Wentz has had more pro-style reps....and plays than Goff...so his whiteboard game, his experience in a pro-style offense in a game is twice the amount of Goff.
The only reason I praise Goff's accuracy as much as I do is because he's done it under immense pressure. His O-line at Cal was absolutely atrocious.
Man...I always hear this...sorta like the Rams QB's were always under pressure...the line sucks...G-Rob or G-Rab....all this BS and I'm seeing Foles miss open receivers...
If you can process information quickly, almost ANY decent offense will succeed....A QB can lift the offense up...or hold it back...
Goff did a good job at Cal...But a lot of the criticism about him hold true...He appears to fit in a west-coast offense...featuring 4 wrs...getting the ball out quickly...with accuracy and anticipation. I had to watch some Goff again...I see plenty of time...dude throws the ball 40 times a game...pressure should be expected.

I threw AF in there for the guys that talk about the talent Wentz played against. AF I'm not knocking...They play D-1...But if you think AF would win the FCS Championship every single year....

I'm not sure who it will be...but I'm hoping it's the guy that's from the pro style system and can throw it a lil deeper when Britt/Quick are open behind the secondary.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
not really....

With all due respect man, what is the point of replying to this opinion with a snarky reply? Just curious..

Otherwise I will agree to disagree. Btw, I am a huge Wentz fan too. In fact, he was my choice leading up to last week.

Bottom line, we are going to be a much better team with either option!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
With all due respect man, what is the point of replying to this opinion with a snarky reply? Just curious..
Not sure what snarky is...
It's not hard to go against the grain...I think of all the Goff is almost guaranteed to go to the Rams reports, 90% of the reporters are looking for the big "scoop" and not actually on how these 2 QB's play, and how the teams selecting them play. I keep wondering how did Goff start getting such buzz after Wentz was the QB that Cleveland initially wanted. Then, Rams trade up, and Cleveland wanted Goff... I still don't know what to believe, but my eyes tell me, that Goff is a spread QB...Wentz has ran more plays, and called plays like the Rams run. We specifically drafted a QB last year, emphasizing his familiarity with the Pro -style system.
I still think this Goff hype is a ruse...And it's intent is to maximize shock value on Thursday night...kinda upstage the NBA playoffs...
Yep, I'm into conspiracy theories now.... LOL

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm still team Wentz but I thought it might be a good excercise for me to write out a few reasons why Goff should be the pick.

1. Age. What kind of a career can we realistically expect from an average QB? 15 years? Is it realistic to expect guys to go much father than 36-38 yrs old? If we take that as the benchmark - that gives Goff a 15% longer expected lifespan in the league - and that friggen matters.

2. Reps - you can know the whiteboard and the Xs and Os all the live long day but until you are running a play and reacting in real time - you aren't really learning it. Goff has twice as many real reps as CW does.

3. Pocket presence - not sure how much of this is teachable. We have seen some poor pocket awareness as Rams fans - Sam was well below average in this department in my opinion. CW is a question mark - he has the ability to escape - but unproven. Goff has been running for his life his entire college career.

4. The intangibles thing - I think many of us (myself especially) kind of fell in love w Wentz's demeanor. His confidence, his moxy, his presence. Goff is more laid back - subdued - and quiet. I tended to associate that laid back attitude with a lack of confidence - but that really isn't the case at all. He was a leader in college - as he says - he isn't going to be Drew Brees starting chants out there - but quiet and businesslike works under center as much as screaming and yelling does. In fact, one might argue that its a gift to stay calm and collected out there. By all accounts, Goff is a workaholic the same way CW is - he too, scored very high on the wonderlic and has all the smarts needed.

Both of these QBs are going to be good - both of them may be great. My favorite one is going to be the one in horns.

I am also still on Team Wentz for many of the pro-Wentz reasons given in various threads on this forum, but it's very close. And one thing I will add to your list is this: If Goff is the pick, our WR corps is instantly upgraded with just the guys we have on the roster. Why? Because with his incredible accuracy and insane ball placement skills, we will be able to throw to spots where only they can catch it. Not to say we shouldn't look to upgrade that spot - we most certainly should. It's just to say that Goff's arm talent all by itself makes our WR's look better than they probably are.

Oh, and on the confidence thing - he came across very confident in the interview with Dani. It wasn't a false confidence either, it's just a quiet but very self-assured confidence. I'm not worried about that at all if he's the pick.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Bradford had insane accuracy and a quiet confidence, just saying

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
not really....

All you need are eyes man....background stuff is about character. If a guy can play, and you've watched a lil football, everyone can usually tell who can play.....

I'd have to say that Wentz has had more pro-style reps....and plays than Goff...so his whiteboard game, his experience in a pro-style offense in a game is twice the amount of Goff.
Man...I always hear this...sorta like the Rams QB's were always under pressure...the line sucks...G-Rob or G-Rab....all this BS and I'm seeing Foles miss open receivers...
If you can process information quickly, almost ANY decent offense will succeed....A QB can lift the offense up...or hold it back...
Goff did a good job at Cal...But a lot of the criticism about him hold true...He appears to fit in a west-coast offense...featuring 4 wrs...getting the ball out quickly...with accuracy and anticipation. I had to watch some Goff again...I see plenty of time...dude throws the ball 40 times a game...pressure should be expected.

I threw AF in there for the guys that talk about the talent Wentz played against. AF I'm not knocking...They play D-1...But if you think AF would win the FCS Championship every single year....

I'm not sure who it will be...but I'm hoping it's the guy that's from the pro style system and can throw it a lil deeper when Britt/Quick are open behind the secondary.

Respectfully, your eyes aren't really enough at all - especially if you don't have the All 22. You need to know what the kids responsibilities are on a play - what is he supposed to do pre snap and post snap.

Scouts watch tape of practice as well as games, they talk to coaches at all levels, have the players come in and run plays from their playbook, and they get to go thru game tape with the prospects themselves. It's just another world of information for those guys to work with.

I have no problem with developing favorites and defending those choices - but I think it's important to recognize our limitations as fans.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Bradford had insane accuracy and a quiet confidence, just saying

Bradford lacked pocket presence and never had the chance to develop it in college because most of the time he had a very clean pocket from which to throw. Goff had to throw with bodies flying around him all the time.