Sounds like it's Goff..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I stayed up last night boys rewatching endless videos of Goff on YouTube. Now granted, a lot of them are highlights so the negative stuff didn't really show up.. Fortunately if you dig around on the web, you can find full games..

Any who, I came away with the same tingly feeling I did when I first started "scouting" him back in the fall. The one thing that sticks out to me, aside from his amazing deep ball accuracy and touch, is his feet!! This guy's pocket awareness and elusiveness is easily top 5 when he walks in the league. No I'm not being a homer BC he's likely our pick(shoot, I was banging the table for Wentz for a while), but he reminds me a lot of a guy I have a chance to watch here locally: Tom Brady. He's got the same look and feel to Brady, and he seems to carry the same moxy. One other thing to note is great ability to look off coverage. This kid has abilities coming into the league that some take years to develop. My two concerns are, however, his nack for extending a qb sneak or run for tbat extra yard or two instead of getting down (you'll get lit up in the big boys league, bro!) and his size. The guy has ice in his veins when it comes to pressure, but he has to bulk up a bit, not too much, if he wants to make it through a grueling NFL season. Overall, the analysts on game film were compari g him to Rogers and Favre with his elusiveness and ability to slide around back there until something develops. Oh and another thing, he incorporates the hard count very well like Rogers too! He does it all.

This kid is the real deal and I look forward to seeing him hold up the #1 jersey Thursday night!

(Let's just hope my little nephew can hang tight and pop out Friday! *crosses fingers*)

Cheers boys
:rockon::rockon:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Haven't said one single negative word about Goff since this whole thing started. Why? Because he's an excellent prospect and i will be excited if he's the pick. I think we can all agree(maybe) that in terms of BPA between the two that the gap is marginal.
It comes down to fit and philosophy.
Wentz is a better fit in LA. Goff is a better fit in Philly.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm still team Wentz but I thought it might be a good excercise for me to write out a few reasons why Goff should be the pick.

1. Age. What kind of a career can we realistically expect from an average QB? 15 years? Is it realistic to expect guys to go much father than 36-38 yrs old? If we take that as the benchmark - that gives Goff a 15% longer expected lifespan in the league - and that friggen matters.

2. Reps - you can know the whiteboard and the Xs and Os all the live long day but until you are running a play and reacting in real time - you aren't really learning it. Goff has twice as many real reps as CW does.

3. Pocket presence - not sure how much of this is teachable. We have seen some poor pocket awareness as Rams fans - Sam was well below average in this department in my opinion. CW is a question mark - he has the ability to escape - but unproven. Goff has been running for his life his entire college career.

4. The intangibles thing - I think many of us (myself especially) kind of fell in love w Wentz's demeanor. His confidence, his moxy, his presence. Goff is more laid back - subdued - and quiet. I tended to associate that laid back attitude with a lack of confidence - but that really isn't the case at all. He was a leader in college - as he says - he isn't going to be Drew Brees starting chants out there - but quiet and businesslike works under center as much as screaming and yelling does. In fact, one might argue that its a gift to stay calm and collected out there. By all accounts, Goff is a workaholic the same way CW is - he too, scored very high on the wonderlic and has all the smarts needed.

Both of these QBs are going to be good - both of them may be great. My favorite one is going to be the one in horns.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Haven't said one single negative word about Goff since this whole thing started. Why? Because he's an excellent prospect and i will be excited if he's the pick. I think we can all agree(maybe) that in terms of BPA between the two that the gap is marginal.
It comes down to fit and philosophy.
Wentz is a better fit in LA. Goff is a better fit in Philly.

I don't mean to start an argument but when I watch film of Goff and Wentz it doesn't look particularly close. Wentz is a great athlete but Goff is the superior QB. Wentz could spend 5 years in the NFL and still not have the footwork and accuracy of Goff. Goff's processing speed is also much better.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't mean to start an argument but when I watch film of Goff and Wentz it doesn't look particularly close. Wentz as a great athlete but Goff is the superior QB. Wentz could spend 5 years in the NFL and still not have the footwork and accuracy of Goff. Goff's processing speed is also much better.
So in your opinion Goff is a far better football player in terms of BPA? Fair enough. I disagree.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
So in your opinion Goff is a far better football player in terms of BPA? Fair enough. I disagree.

BPA is only relevant when the players play different positions. You could argue that the BPA in this draft is Tunsil or Ramsey. But you draft a QB to be a QB so the only thing that matters is who the best quarterback is. I think Goff is clearly a better QB than Wentz. Wentz may be a better athlete, but that doesn't make him a better QB. Colin Kaepernick is a much better athlete than Peyton Manning, but we both know who the better QB is.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
BPA is only relevant when the players play different positions. You could argue that the BPA in this draft is Tunsil or Ramsey. But you draft a QB to be a QB so the only thing that matters is who the best quarterback is. I think Goff is clearly a better QB than Wentz. Wentz may be a better athlete, but that doesn't make him a better QB. Colin Kaepernick is a much better athlete than Peyton Manning, but we both know who the better QB is.
You're splitting hairs with the BPA stuff but whatever. BPA, BQBA...in this conversation its irrelevant.

Honestly it's not the athleticism from Wentz that stands out to me as to what's so special. Look at Lynch. He's an exceptional athlete but i don't think he's going to be any good running an offense in the NFL.
With Wentz it's leadership, arm talent, a fundamental understanding of pro concepts and above all...competitive fire. The athleticism is a nice bonus.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Mark my words and save this post, it will be a mistake if they draft Goff! I am 100% convinced of that.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Mark my words and save this post, it will be a mistake if they draft Goff! I am 100% convinced of that.

Its about time to start turning the page on getting on board. I'm a CW guy myself - but the pick will be what the pick will be - and lets be real - our scouting department may not be perfect, but they have a ton more info than we do.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Its about time to start turning the page on getting on board. I'm a CW guy myself - but the pick will be what the pick will be - and lets be real - our scouting department may not be perfect, but they have a ton more info than we do.
It would totally be a rams move to pick the wrong guy and its looking like they will.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
6057c86.gif

Psycho_X

Legend
To me it comes down to two main and very distinct talents each QB has had in their college careers that currently makes me like them for different reasons.

Goff- has unbelievable pocket presence and ability to move around in a hurry, but calmly, while still getting the ball out even when nothing is going right. i.e.-Playmaker despite chaos.

Wentz- played in a NFL offense and has mastered the playbook and protections needed in such an offense which is rare in college anymore. i.e.- able to jump right in with limited Xs and Os relearning

Having said all that obviously Wentz has shown the ability to move in the pocket and get out of trouble also but isn't quite as good footwork wise as Goff and in the videos I've seen looks a bit lumbering that would make him less effective at running the ball like he does against NFL defenses.

And Goff scored high on the wonderlic test, has spent his offseason getting used to taking balls under center, and from reports seems like a student of the game and, in theory, wouldn't have a problem learning the intricacies of a NFL offense but might take a little longer to perfect then Wentz.

So long term analysis for myself, I like both QBs but long term Goff, if he puts in the time, can learn a NFL playbook just as well as Wentz can. But it's unlikely Wentz can get the same kind of pocket presence that Goff seems to have. You either have it or you don't kind of thing. And while I think Wentz's is good I just don't see any of it being as good as Goff's and I think Wentz's movement style (I guess it's a style not sure how else to describe) will be less effective in the NFL.

tldr: Goff's current game translates to more long term success then Wentz to my eye as long as Goff can easily pick up the nuance of NFL playbook.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
You're splitting hairs with the BPA stuff but whatever. BPA, BQBA...in this conversation its irrelevant.

Honestly it's not the athleticism from Wentz that stands out to me as to what's so special. Look at Lynch. He's an exceptional athlete but i don't think he's going to be any good running an offense in the NFL.
With Wentz it's leadership, arm talent, a fundamental understanding of pro concepts and above all...competitive fire. The athleticism is a nice bonus.

1. If you don't think Goff has leadership skills then you're crazy. He went through hell his freshman year and took that team from 1-11 to 8-5 with a bowl win. Wentz went to a winning team and continued to win. The guy before him but up similar stats and so did his fill-in when Wentz was injured.

2. Arm talent. What do you mean by this? Do you mean arm strength or overall arm talent? Wentz undoubtedly has a stronger arm but Goff has better accuracy and touch. JaMarcus Russell had unbelievable arm strength but didn't have great touch or accuracy. Not saying Wentz is like Russell but the point is the same, arm talent doesn't just mean arm strength.

3. Goff is a very cerebral player and he will not struggle with pro concepts. He was still in charge of the LOS and calling protections at Cal. A lot of times people over analyze this scheme-fit stuff. Aaron Rodgers can out of the same system.

4. Yet again, if you don't think it takes competitive fire to take the pounding Goff did at Cal and still get up every play then I'm not sure what to tell you. Just because the guy isn't as outspoken doesn't mean he doesn't have a burning desire to be the best.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It would totally be a rams move to pick the wrong guy and its looking like they will.

Again, unless you are a scout just screwing around on a message board - you are operating on a small fraction of the amount of information that the Rams have at their disposal. Even if you have read every article, watched every game of each prospect, listen to every analyst, watched the combine, pro days, etc - you still only have a snippet of what they have.

For the record, I'm with you - I give the edge to Wentz as well - but I know enough to know that as much as I soak in about the draft - its nothing compared to the real analysis that scouts do - especially for a pick like this one.

Its impossible to ask another Rams fan this because, you are right, they really might not deserve it - but lets give these guys the benefit of the doubt. Don't be so sure of your own evaluation - because if you are honest with yourself, its probably an incomplete one simply because we fans don't get the kind of access that scouts get.