Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Forgetting for the moment that anything said by a talking head/former player is "proof" of nothing, I think what JackDRams is complaining about (me too) is your use of absolutes. It's actually pretty easy to list QBs who have been developed on the bench. While at the same time, your thought that the best place to develop a QB is on the field, all things being equal, is probably incontrovertible. What some, including me, are saying is that unless you have the assets on the field that are needed to develop a QB like a solid O-line, good WRs/RBs and a competent OC it can often be counterproductive and sometimes fatal to their development.
So, by this logic you are clearly saying that the Rams should never draft a QB since they will never be in a position to let him play.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I loved the Mannion pic in the draft - I know many didn't, but I still hold the same belief as I did then, that he is going to be a solid starter for years to come, I likened him to Drew Brees pre-draft and I still think he has the ability be that good.

My only worry is that the Rams are awful right now, we're producing some of the worst play I've ever seen by an NFL team - EVER and that hurts. Will throwing him in be enough of a spark for the rest of the team? I don't know? Will losing out because of poor Rams play be counterproductive? Possibly. It depends on his character - if he has strong self belief then start him - unfortunately I don't think Fisher is the man to right ship and steer the ship out of troubled water.

I would love to see him have more game time, but for a week or two I'd start Keenum - its futile starting Foles - he's not the man for the job this season. So move Mannion up to No. 2 and lets start from there, if Keenum is no better, or worse than Foles, then Mannion moves up to No. 1.

If you're not good enough to start, then you shouldn't be in the squad - and I think Mannion IS good enough. What that says about Foles I don't know, but I sure know this is one heck of a "bump in the road" that he's hit!

nighttrain

Legend
If Mannion starts, we are essentially pushing him into a slaughter house. He ain't ready, I hear he hasn't taking a rep with anyone besides the scout team... I mean it's week 13 and for a guy that has never gotten a meaningful rep besides about 14 weeks ago can't help us now. Get him some reps in the next few weeks and let him play in the 4th if the game is out of hand, either way. Get him prepped for 16!
Completing 6 of 7 kind of blows this away
train

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
FWIW, Sean Mannion has the highest passer rating on the team at the moment....
Lol

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, I've said it before. Whats the worse Mannion could do? Throw 3 or 4 picks? Already been done. Throw well over 100 passes without a touchdown? Already been done. Have the worst 3rd down ratio in the league? Already there. Start both halves with 3 and outs? Been done many times. Not reach 17 points? Again, numerous times.

Really, how much worse can Mannion due compared to what we already have? Its not like they have something to lose.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Good QBs don't crumble after a few bad games. Even guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have had stretches of games where they looked terrible. The good ones bounce back. This idea that you can ruin a QB is kind of crazy IMO - he's going to have a bad game eventually, and if he's not mentally tough enough to handle it, he's bound to fail.

Not that any of this really matters. The Rams are probably getting a new coach in the offseason, who will need to draft a QB in the 1st round to have any shot at being successful.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's weird. You could just get them all at once. :whistle:
Nah - in reality there was no real planning involved. Some might say that fits the metaphor more than the rest. o_O I was in a Tower Record in LA and CDs had just come out. I bought a bunch of them and then the next week went to Costco and bought a $600 CD player that is worse than some Walmart $30 models out today. Shit - there are metaphors all over the place if you think about it.:D

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I've said it before. Whats the worse Mannion could do? Throw 3 or 4 picks? Already been done. Throw well over 100 passes without a touchdown? Already been done. Have the worst 3rd down ratio in the league? Already there. Start both halves with 3 and outs? Been done many times. Not reach 17 points? Again, numerous times.

Really, how much worse can Mannion due compared to what we already have? Its not like they have something to lose.
Great post.
Only thing I'd add is that the option to pull him if he's entirely overwhelmed is always there as well.
This week could be his 2nd straight week getting quality practice reps.
No reason why he cant start

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Interesting idea. I tried white font but it was too advanced to comprehend.

nighttrain

Legend
Great post.
Only thing I'd add is that the option to pull him if he's entirely overwhelmed is always there as well.
This week could be his 2nd straight week getting quality practice reps.
No reason why he cant start
Like this
train

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT

For me it's not about where he's at now compared to what we have on the roster, but about ruining a project for the future. I have no problem getting him practice reps and cleanup/garbage time but it's not fair for his development to put him in for a full game(s) with the offensive line as it is. JMO

RamBill

Legend
Rams in no hurry to give Sean Mannion opportunity at quarterback
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-give-sean-mannion-opportunity-at-quarterback

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In the eyes of many St. Louis Rams fans, rookie quarterback Sean Mannion is the most popular player on the roster.

That popularity is the product of an interesting conundrum: Mannion is the only one of the three quarterbacks not to start a game, which means the fact he's an unknown gives hope that he can offer hope to the team's quarterback woes. At the same time, that inexperience also makes him mostly unqualified to come in and play well right away in his rookie season.

After weeks of watching Nick Foles struggles and with Case Keenum coming off a concussion and struggling in his lone start, the demands to give Mannion an opportunity have grown louder. Mannion got his first taste of NFL action in mop up duty last week against Cincinnati, completing 6 of 7 for 31 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions.

By that time, the Bengals had made it clear they were willing to give up short completions and keep the clock running though Rams coach Jeff Fisher used his three timeouts despite being down 24 in an effort to get Mannion more reps. So while Mannion did OK in his small sample size, there wasn't much to take from it other than him getting a chance to get some NFL snaps under his belt.

“Well, he’s doing everything he can," Fisher said. "He’s been in the meetings with the quarterbacks every day since the draft. He got reps during camp. He got to play in preseason games. Once you get in the regular season, your ones and twos are getting the reps. It’s hard to get your three reps. Number one gets probably 95 percent of the reps. Your No. 2 gets to work against the defense. Last week because of the circumstances, Sean got a little bit more work against the defense. But, I think when he comes in the game in mop up situations like that where the defense declared itself and still 6 of 7 and making good decisions and putting the ball where he’s supposed to, there’s light there and there’s hope there.”

The Rams used the second of their third-round picks in this year's draft on Mannion, who, if nothing else, at least looks the part of a prototypical NFL quarterback at 6-foot-6, 233 pounds. Mannion appears to have the strongest arm of the team's three signal-callers (which admittedly isn't saying a whole lot), and he comes from a pro-style offense at Oregon State that has made his transition to an NFL scheme a bit easier.

But there are plenty of reasons not to just throw Mannion to the wolves right now. First and foremost, the Rams have been working to get Mannion to clean up his fundamentals and speed up his delivery. While that process has been underway, it's important to remember that Mannion doesn't get a lot of reps in practice to work on such things.

Mannion did get a small taste of the speed at which things have to be done in last week's game.

“You get a taste of it in the preseason," Mannion said. "Everybody tells you, and I think it’s true, preseason is a whole different animal compared to the regular season. It was great to get in there. I tried to play a simple game. I focused on getting the ball out of my hand fast, being accurate, completing some passes. I think the other thing is trying to stay engaged all game long on the sideline — helping the defense, doing whatever I can to help Nick [Foles] — tell him if I see anything, or ask if he wants me to look at anything in particular. I think staying engaged all game long really helped me to be prepared for the looks. I just tried to complete some passes and operate the offense.”

Adding to that, if the Rams view Mannion as a long-term option, they have to ask themselves if it's really wise to put him in the lineup with this offensive line in front of him. Playing in this offense at this point doesn't seem like a good option if you're looking to build confidence in a young quarterback.

The counter to that argument is that the Rams could get a look at Mannion over the final five weeks and try to use that as a barometer on just how deep their need for help at quarterback runs. Of course, a small sample size with a rookie quarterback in an unfavorable situation also isn't the best way to gauge his future in the league, either.

Which means that maybe the Rams' best course of action is to begin keeping Mannion active on gamedays and try to find snaps for him here and there. If they have more blowouts, he can come in and clean up late or maybe they can sneak him a series or two during games if and when things don't go well for Foles or Keenum.

Fisher said Monday that he and the Rams view Mannion as a potential long-term starter or else they wouldn't have drafted him when they did. Fisher also offered a reminder that, for him, long-term doesn't mean less than a year.

“That’s correct, yeah," Fisher said. "Not many teams have drafted a quarterback in the third round and started him as a rookie either. It takes time.”

Alan

Legend
Ballhawk dazed and confused:
So, by this logic you are clearly saying that the Rams should never draft a QB since they will never be in a position to let him play.
No, my logic is that he CAN be developed without playing but I'd prefer he get some shots. I've said this earlier. Now that Keenum is still out with his concussion he'll be getting a lot of reps in practice which should really help him. You must have missed the part where I said the advantages of real game action for a QB are incontrovertible. I'd like to see him get some playing time now, just like he got in the last game. I just don't want to put him in a position of having to lead us to a win.

More importantly though, I'm not as pessimistic as you in thinking that we'll never get a decent O-line, good RBs/WRS and a decent OC.:LOL: Hopefully we'll address all those issues in the off season. I don't think we're that far away. We have a good RB and possibly a decent OC (if given the chance and the tools).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Rams in no hurry to give Sean Mannion opportunity at quarterback
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-give-sean-mannion-opportunity-at-quarterback

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In the eyes of many St. Louis Rams fans, rookie quarterback Sean Mannion is the most popular player on the roster.

That popularity is the product of an interesting conundrum: Mannion is the only one of the three quarterbacks not to start a game, which means the fact he's an unknown gives hope that he can offer hope to the team's quarterback woes. At the same time, that inexperience also makes him mostly unqualified to come in and play well right away in his rookie season.

After weeks of watching Nick Foles struggles and with Case Keenum coming off a concussion and struggling in his lone start, the demands to give Mannion an opportunity have grown louder. Mannion got his first taste of NFL action in mop up duty last week against Cincinnati, completing 6 of 7 for 31 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions.

By that time, the Bengals had made it clear they were willing to give up short completions and keep the clock running though Rams coach Jeff Fisher used his three timeouts despite being down 24 in an effort to get Mannion more reps. So while Mannion did OK in his small sample size, there wasn't much to take from it other than him getting a chance to get some NFL snaps under his belt.

“Well, he’s doing everything he can," Fisher said. "He’s been in the meetings with the quarterbacks every day since the draft. He got reps during camp. He got to play in preseason games. Once you get in the regular season, your ones and twos are getting the reps. It’s hard to get your three reps. Number one gets probably 95 percent of the reps. Your No. 2 gets to work against the defense. Last week because of the circumstances, Sean got a little bit more work against the defense. But, I think when he comes in the game in mop up situations like that where the defense declared itself and still 6 of 7 and making good decisions and putting the ball where he’s supposed to, there’s light there and there’s hope there.”

The Rams used the second of their third-round picks in this year's draft on Mannion, who, if nothing else, at least looks the part of a prototypical NFL quarterback at 6-foot-6, 233 pounds. Mannion appears to have the strongest arm of the team's three signal-callers (which admittedly isn't saying a whole lot), and he comes from a pro-style offense at Oregon State that has made his transition to an NFL scheme a bit easier.

But there are plenty of reasons not to just throw Mannion to the wolves right now. First and foremost, the Rams have been working to get Mannion to clean up his fundamentals and speed up his delivery. While that process has been underway, it's important to remember that Mannion doesn't get a lot of reps in practice to work on such things.

Mannion did get a small taste of the speed at which things have to be done in last week's game.

“You get a taste of it in the preseason," Mannion said. "Everybody tells you, and I think it’s true, preseason is a whole different animal compared to the regular season. It was great to get in there. I tried to play a simple game. I focused on getting the ball out of my hand fast, being accurate, completing some passes. I think the other thing is trying to stay engaged all game long on the sideline — helping the defense, doing whatever I can to help Nick [Foles] — tell him if I see anything, or ask if he wants me to look at anything in particular. I think staying engaged all game long really helped me to be prepared for the looks. I just tried to complete some passes and operate the offense.”

Adding to that, if the Rams view Mannion as a long-term option, they have to ask themselves if it's really wise to put him in the lineup with this offensive line in front of him. Playing in this offense at this point doesn't seem like a good option if you're looking to build confidence in a young quarterback.

The counter to that argument is that the Rams could get a look at Mannion over the final five weeks and try to use that as a barometer on just how deep their need for help at quarterback runs. Of course, a small sample size with a rookie quarterback in an unfavorable situation also isn't the best way to gauge his future in the league, either.

Which means that maybe the Rams' best course of action is to begin keeping Mannion active on gamedays and try to find snaps for him here and there. If they have more blowouts, he can come in and clean up late or maybe they can sneak him a series or two during games if and when things don't go well for Foles or Keenum.

Fisher said Monday that he and the Rams view Mannion as a potential long-term starter or else they wouldn't have drafted him when they did. Fisher also offered a reminder that, for him, long-term doesn't mean less than a year.

“That’s correct, yeah," Fisher said. "Not many teams have drafted a quarterback in the third round and started him as a rookie either. It takes time.”

What a load of crock. We better start Mannion after we lose a playoff spot. Not like he could do worse than Foles or Keenum. Probably would increase our chances of winning. You benched Foles, Fisher. He should stay benched.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Most people on two different boards have considered me a strong optimist on Ram matters over these past few years.

Hell, I've even been called a cheerleader a few times.

But I have to call our current '15 situation for what it is.

Fisher and his staff are now reduced to no good options with regard to QB and OL. None. I don't think even Bellichek could dig out of this mess and get us to 6-10.

If either the QB or OL situation were a chess game it would be at the end game stage. In check and one move away from being check mated.

If Hav can play even halfway effectively and Reynolds can move back to LG, it would probably lessen the chaos. But it wouldn't change the outcome.

Our resurgence must come next year. Hopefully starting with a new HC.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does it really have to be either Start him, or 0 reps? Can we not have him as the #2 QB, so that he starts getting practice reps, and have him run a series or 2 a game for a while? Maybe even work him up to a quarter and maybe have him start or come out and play the 2nd half of week 17. He could gain some real experience, have practice reps, build, evaluate, correct, grow, experience, learn, etc. All the while he can continue to learn the offence, playbook, reading defenses, etc, with actual experience to help mold him. He would be in a low pressure (from a performance perspective) situation, and wouldn't take a ton of hits.

I could be wrong, and I am sure that there are arguments against it, but it seems to make sense to me.