Round 3 Pick 69: Cooper Kupp, WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Just watched the video of Steven Jackson announcing the pick. Almost shedded a tear right there

CcEfpp0W4AEQVPf.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
He is a 4.6 guy who when you watch him never gets caught from behind and is more than a slot guy. He is literally the fastest 4.6 player I ever seen.

Not comparing him to Rice but Jerry Rice was supposed to be slow but I never seen him get caught from behind. Kupp is much faster on the field than his 4.6.
He was being hyped as an early round guy then ran a 4.6.
Good route running will make up for that. There have been a couple of Ram receivers who were knocked for not having "break away" over the top speed. Ike Bruce and Henry Ellard. Both were masterful route runners with great hands. If this kid can even approach that skill level a 4.6 40 time will be the best thing to happen to the Rams draft in awhile.
Lovin this pick!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alright... where's the emoji for blowing your own freaking horn? Gotta be around here somewhere. Danny? New emoji - STAT!

I figured I'd provide since there's a lot of Kupp discussion in there.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Ourlads

Four year starter from Yakima, WA. A four-time consensus first-team FCS All-America. Great competitior who slows the game down around him very well. Rare set of hands who snatches the ball out of the air. Exceptional concentration when tracking the ball to his hands. Great timing on attacking the deep jump ball. Physical route runner who has the balance in and out of his breaks. Good patience and effective route running stems to work defender's hips on deep routes. Polished footwork to beat press at the line of scrimmage. Uses his hands to keep defensive backs from controlling him in the route. Strong upper body that runs through arm tackles. Vision and savvy jukes with the ball in the open field. Uses strong stiff arm to gain positive yards after the catch. Blue collar effort in the run blocking game. Above average punt returner who is a threat to score on returns. Plays big in big games. Caught 15 passes for 246 yards against Oregon in 2015. Plus catch radius that he makes up for with natural catching ability. Lacks top end speed and acceleration. Has little suddenness out of his breaks and doesn't create huge separation from defenders. Underneath route running needs work, has to be more precise and purposeful in his steps in stems and fakes. Questions about his ability to play as an outside receiver at the NFL level. Doesn't bite into the defenders cushionoff of the line of scrimmage. Needs grass and space to get up to full speed. Average leaping ability. Walter Payton award winner in 2015. This ultra productive prospect had a good showing at the Senior Bowl giving scouts some of the flashes of skill set that worked well for him during his college career. However, he followed that up with a lacklustre 40 time at the combine with a 4.62. Ultimately the tape shows good production all throughout Kupp's career, however his ceiling may be a little lower than some anticipated. A day two selection that will provide a good set of hands and football ability. 2016 stats 117-1400, 14.5 ypr, 19 TD. Second/third round.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I figured I'd provide since there's a lot of Kupp discussion in there.

Bring it all night jrry.. He's been your #1 ranked day two WR and he was my #2 ranked day two receiver. I'm still fired up!

This man can run a pattern as well as he can catch :football:
giphy.gif

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
Hmmm, pretty slow at 4.62 at his pro day. Every compliment they gave him sounded exactly like what was said about Austin Pettis. Like a coach, great hands, great route runner. Yet, Pettis at 4.5 speed proved to slow. That said, I think Fisher ruined Pettis so maybe if he used properly we see what Pettis could have been!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmmm, pretty slow at 4.62 at his pro day. Every compliment they gave him sounded exactly like what was said about Austin Pettis. Like a coach, great hands, great route runner. Yet, Pettis at 4.5 speed proved to slow. That said, I think Fisher ruined Pettis so maybe if he used properly we see what Pettis could have been!

Frankly, I think Pettis lacked the character to be great. He had a lot of issues here behaving himself. I think he mailed it in when he got here. If Pettis had wanted to be the best and worked like it, I think he'd have been a good WR for us. But you can never know what's in a man's mind.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Welcome to the Rams Cooper! Too many damn Coopers though, so gonna call you "C-Kupp" OK? :p

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure you put Pettis on Fish. Plenty of other things - sure.

Pettis was his own worst enemy like so many other talented players. Let's put Kupp on his own trajectory. He can play or he can't. And a tenth of a second in the 40 has rarely been the real difference. I forget.... what did Ike and Jerry run?

jap

Legend
He is a 4.6 guy who when you watch him never gets caught from behind and is more than a slot guy. He is literally the fastest 4.6 player I ever seen.

Not comparing him to Rice but Jerry Rice was supposed to be slow but I never seen him get caught from behind. Kupp is much faster on the field than his 4.6.

Like an NFL scout once said (paraphrasing), "Some guys run 4.4 in track shorts and 4.6 in pads (e.g., Desmond Howard). However, certain guys run 4.6 in track shorts and 4.6 in pads (e.g., Jerry Rice)."

It comes down to how strong one's legs are and how well one can move with pads on. You will hear scouts use expressions like "He carries his pads well" to describe guys who display minimal difference between their running times in track shorts versus pads. Both Jerry Rice and Isaac Bruce were such players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll promise you all this...you won't see Cooper Kupp quitting on routes or jogging routes during games.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
@jrry32

Give credit where credit is due. You called that 100% spot on! Congrats buddy!

Also, after reading more up on Kupp, I'll admit I was wrong... He's a very underrated and intelligent player with hands that were blessed from the gods above.

He's going to be LEGIT... Reminds me a little of Dez & Nelson rolled up into one... Hopefully he gets to that level!

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Cooper Kupp against Pac-12:

2013 vs Oregon St: 5 rec / 119 yards / 2 TD
2014 vs Washington: 8 rec / 145 yards / 3 TD
2015 vs Oregon: 15 rec / 246 yards / 3 TD
2016 vs Washington State: 12 rec / 206 yards / 3 TD