Report: Rams expected to franchise tag Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HellRam

Starter
Dude I was going to post something like this yesterday. True may bend at times but he doesn't break. He's long and can match up with the most physical receivers in the league. He may not be All-Pro but he's a perennial Pro-bowl corner. Our weakness on D are runs up the middle, not pass defense. I would rather use the draft to work on that and depth, and not create another hole. If we sign someone "better" they would be more expensive than what we would probably extend Tru. If we sign someone cheaper , watch what happens if we have two Kayvon Websters on the outside.

Exactly!

The secondary and d-line are the strengths of this defense. Keep those units together as much as possible. Tweak the LB's a bit and we may actually have that top 5 D we've been waiting for.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
IIRC, Its 144% for the 3rd year so the number would be more like 24 mill....
If the Rams paid TruJo $24+mil, AD might snap and eat him!:headexplosion:

If TruJo got $24+, AD's going to want a bunch more than that. A bunch...

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Oh yeah, the topic...

Franchise tag??
0ap3000000882302_video_cp.jpg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Tru becomes expendable if we can go after Malcolm Butler because NO WAY the Pats pay for Butler after spending on Stephon Gilmore who was an aberration.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tru quite a bit, but if he's going to be the first to go, then that actually shrinks the number of teams willing to pay for that expensive #1 CB. Plus, coming from NE, Butler's a guy who a) expects to win and b) knows that winning teams don't do ridiculous contracts.

Note: I think Kraft's business dealings are a fantastic (and should be) illegal way of circumventing the salary cap. It sets up a precedent. Why shouldn't Kroenke allow Goff essentially free rental of a massive retail space in the new stadium entertainment complex for a theme restaurant or Foot Locker or something where Goff is the blind owner of an LLC that owns the lease. Then, he can essentially be funneled millions of dollars off the team's books with a business or even just sublet the space "while considering various business ventures". And because it's a private business... no public paper trail. Same with Kroenke's stadium. It's privately financed.

Hey... that might actually be a genius idea I just had. It's not illegal...just shady as hell...hmmm.

Anyway, the Rams are in a position with the culture change to "we, not me" to let guys know that we're not going to sabotage the team with any dumb contracts (and only for AD, a $120+M contract is very fair)

I think they make a solid effort for Tru, but if he's going for the brass ring... I really hope they pull HARD for Butler.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Tag him ! I don' think the team is ready to give him a long term deal just based on last season

Looking at the other free agent Recievers, Sammy might be The best.

He had a down year by number 1 reciever standards but the guy is still a stud and an off-season with Mcvay might make him that top 5 reciever he should be .

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pay Watkins 16 mill for 1 season
Pay Woods 19 mil for the next 3 seasons
Anyone else see a problem here?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Easy on the drama there, acting like you're in So Cal trying to strike it big in the movies with that much drama :p

Lol ok.

Sarcasm/humor = drama.
We will have none of that!

Whatevs. Im in So Cal several times through out the year... yet I have never had a mani/pedi, I dont have an agent, or a good head shot. Never had a colonic or my butthole bleached, so I know I am an outsider.

I do sometimes like starbucks, and I would love to own a beamer, so maybe there is still hope.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
He's not a true #1 to me. Watch Thomas for the Saints go after every ball like a true #1 should.

You mean the same guy that got completely shut down vs the Rams ? He's not any better than Watkins imo. He just has an HOF QB throwing him the ball

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Elmgrovegnome Have you seen what Snead had said during this session? Just curious where the different opinion comes from since we have yet to see this Q&A posted anywhere in video form or a transcript so not sure what I said would lead to a different opinion.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Like I've said before offer him a contract similar to Woods, if he does not accept let him move on and pick up a 3rd round comp pick.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I read it somewhere a week ago
Strange considering there's nothing coming up via google anywhere. Nothing posted on the Rams site. Nothing posted on any of theirs or Sneads social media. Nothing posted but half quotes which we don't know the context too. You claim to have read it but it's nowhere on the internet or Rams site. Only thing I can find is some idiot at fox sports saying they should fire Snead for TruJo not being signed to a long term deal which is asinine just like Aldens claims.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tag him ! I don' think the team is ready to give him a long term deal just based on last season

Looking at the other free agent Recievers, Sammy might be The best.

He had a down year by number 1 reciever standards but the guy is still a stud and an off-season with Mcvay might make him that top 5 reciever he should be .
And, I like the fact that he is now, as a Ram, unselfish and a "we not me" guy now. He wasn't in Buffalo, me me me me me! I'm all for it. A true #1