Report: Rams expected to franchise tag Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
B WR doesn't beat Sherman by five steps. Goff didn't even look his way and chucked down. There's a problem between Goff and Watkins nobody's talking about. If Watkins doesn't stay beyond one year it won't surprise me. He got 1000 yards with a GARBAGE thrower like Tyrod. There's a reason he got less this past year. It isn't Watkins.
Goff doesn't have great touch or accuracy on deep balls I agree. He needs to improve.
I sawmither times Watkins was open and Goff went somewhere else. We don't know (you or I) if that was a scheme things....the number one guy was open on the route so Goff hit his first open read....or if Goff just didn't feel comfortable with him. I doubt tbe secknd as Goff seemed very willing to spread the ball around. It may well be scheme.
At any rate, he hasn't earned top pay. I want to see him stay too. But at the expense of losing a couple of other guys? Hell no.

goosekilla

UDFA
Name
Jeremy
That's not always the case. I'm not sure if Gonzalez has been around long enough to have extra info or not, but if a reporter is around long enough and makes enough connections, they can certainly know more than is revealed in press conferences.
I think you are right when it comes to certain reporters, Jim Thomas had inside news. Every reporter I follow from LA quotes the press confrenses. Hopefully with time they will get legit inside news.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is Alden's suggestion, I've yet to see a quote from Snead that he says or implies they're going to tag him.
I wonder if they could use a "Transition Tag" on him instead of a "Franchise Tag"!?! And if so what the difference would be!?!

HellRam

Starter
I did not mind the Tru tagging and I won't mind if they tag Watkins. For the following reasons.

1. Doesn't tie up long term money.

2. Keeps the WR unit strong.

3. Allows another year for Reynolds, Thomas and Kupp to improve. Maybe Reynolds or Thomas can eventully replace Sammy.

Sure it's a big cap hit for a year. But if they don't tag Sammy, he's likely gone in FA, he's getting paid one way or anouther. I was against keeping Sammy after the playoff game. However keeping Sammy for one more year may not be a bad idea.

Psycho_X

Legend
I wonder if they could use a "Transition Tag" on him instead of a "Franchise Tag"!?! And if so what the difference would be!?!

It's the average of the top 10 at his position instead of the top 5. So it'll bring the number down a couple million probably. Nothing too huge at that point. Would be interesting though if they did that and left enough room open to match if another team tried to sign him away. But by saving a couple million you risk another team offering him a contract you don't want to match and getting nothing in return. Transition tag is mostly useless unless you're prepared to go all in on any contract another team might offer.

Here is an article explaining the tag differences from last offseason
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-to-know-about-nfl-franchise-tag-designations

HellRam

Starter
I hope they replace him with a cornerback that can stop the pass and be better in run support.

There is maybe 5 shut down CBs in the entire NFL and my figure may be a little high. I'd love to replace Tru with a better player. That said there isn't a whole lot of CBs better then Tru. He's a geat redzone CB who rarely allows WRs to go off on him. I actually can't remeber a WR that just went off on Tru. Yes he will give up chunk plays from time to time. But that's just part of the game. Johnson's pro's definitely out weigh the con's. IMO anyways.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Transition tag is kind of worthless. All it gives us is the right to match but offers no compensation if we choose not to. Also you can’t transition and franchise tag players in the same offseason so it’s one or the other. I love Sammy but not sure he’s worth as much money as is being talked about. At least not to us.

Psycho_X

Legend
Since Tru has been franchised two years in a row, i don't think they can franchise tag him again.

The limit is three years in a row but it's always 120% value of the previous years number. So Tru's salary for a third tag in a row would be $20,090,880. That's not going to happen lol.

Stump23

Rookie
The limit is three years in a row but it's always 120% value of the previous years number. So Tru's salary for a third tag in a row would be $20,090,880. That's not going to happen lol.
ok, don't know why i thought it was 2 years. Agreed $20m for Tru is out of the question--isn't that what Stafford and Carr make now? If 3 years is the case, shouldn't we consider franchising Donald for the next 3 years right?

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Also, I would imagine Snead's quote is something like this:

Reporter: Would you consider franchise tagging Watkins?
Snead: *strokes hand through hair* We'll keep all options on the table. We'd like to have him back.
Article: Rams Expected to Franchise Watkins

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
ok, don't know why i thought it was 2 years. Agreed $20m for Tru is out of the question--isn't that what Stafford and Carr make now? If 3 years is the case, shouldn't we consider franchising Donald for the next 3 years right?

As far as Donald is concerned, he actually has one more year left on his rookie deal. So technically we don't have to do anything if we didn't want to in 2018 and then franchise him for 2019, 2020, and 2021 which would put him at 30 years old. But that would really piss the guy off and you'd be looking at a holdout situation in 2019 worse than what he did this past offseason. So you either bite the bullet and give him a long term contract and have a content future hall of famer or you go cheap and force him to play 2018 due to the cba forcing him to and then deal with trade demands from him and holdouts well into the season starting in 2019.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expect Watkins back.
I do not see the franchise tag. Maybe the transition tag which is 2.5M less than the franchise tag.

I don't see any team going all in for Sammy.

I see it similarly. They aren't going to franchise him. Maybe the transition tag if the two sides are far apart, and then match what he signs or sign him once he's grounded in what the market is. But I don't think it will get to that.

I think the Rams looked at the tape, know how often he was open, and realize getting him on the same page with Jared in this next camp is the best option for the team. They will get him signed before they need to tag him IMO.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Anyone know if there’s a compensatory pick still awarded if you tag a player then lose him in FA the next year? Will we receive a comp pick this year if we don’t re-sign Tru for example?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I believe this is just an early method for the Rams to pressure Watkins and his agent to be smarter about seeking out a long term contract. Watkins has a bit of an injury history, should he lose time due to a 2018 injury, his signing stock in 2019 for a large contract to another team could diminish rapidly. These are early negotiation tactics, we're still a way off from him leaving in free agency.
Smokescreens are already in play. jmo.

Last edited:

James Otto

Starter
The alternative is, back to square one looking for a #1WR. And if they do find one as good as Watkins, they're going to have to pay him.
So do you go with what you know, or look elsewhere to try and save a few mil? Or just let him walk and try and draft a #1 at 23 in the 1st rd.

Woods is a clear #1 receiver, not sure how anybody could doubt this at this point.

Woods was on pace for 1100 yards and 7 TD's before he got hurt. And don't give me this "he's a great #2" nonsense, given that only 15 WR in the league had 1000 yards this year and only 18 had more than 7 TD.

Woods was unstoppable against Atlanta.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone know if there’s a compensatory pick still awarded if you tag a player then lose him in FA the next year? Will we receive a comp pick this year if we don’t re-sign Tru for example?
Its kind of a net/net thing
The Rams could lose Tru and Sammy in free agency, but that doesnt guarantee them compensation since they would also be signing free agents themselves
IIRC, Its 144% for the 3rd year so the number would be more like 24 mill....