Report: Rams expected to franchise tag Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
4 years for 32.5 is only just over 8m a year, I'd OK a deal like that for Watkins!

I'd go to $10M for him in a heartbeat, even a little over that if necessary. He's 26 years old. Get him on a four year deal, frontloaded, BAM. No probs on my end with that.

Worst case scenario he's mediocre and we cut bait after a year or two, but that does have the advantage of buying us time now too.

Best case scenario he and Goff develop good rapport, he improves in the offense and as a WR, and McVay moves him up to first read on a large portion of our passing plays.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'd go to $10M for him in a heartbeat, even a little over that if necessary. He's 26 years old. Get him on a four year deal, frontloaded, BAM. No probs on my end with that.

Worst case scenario he's mediocre and we cut bait after a year or two, but that does have the advantage of buying us time now too.

Best case scenario he and Goff develop good rapport, he improves in the offense and as a WR, and McVay moves him up to first read on a large portion of our passing plays.
Merlin,
Excellent post. Like your thought processes. Lotsa Rams fans dumping on Sammy but are not, IMO, looking at the big picture. We have him develop some chemistry with Goff and defenses will have to double him all over the field which will allow Woods and Kupp to continually scorch 'em.
Watkins if used correctly can become the focus of our passing game which will, of course, set up Gurley and the run game.
It all works together folks!!!!

~ArkyRamsFan~

nighttrain

Legend

Watkins 24 this year and gained 962 Rookie season, 2nd season 1047 then injured in 2016. broke his foot, then had to have surgery and missed most of 2016, I'd love to see Rams sign him for 4-5 years at 10 mil yr
train

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Cap keeps going up too though, yesterdays 10 mill average a year is todays 12 mill average a year.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I really want Sammy back. I just hope it doesn’t come at this price. I hope they can get a fair long term deal drawn up.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Watkins 24 this year and gained 962 Rookie season, 2nd season 1047 then injured in 2016. broke his foot, then had to have surgery and missed most of 2016, I'd love to see Rams sign him for 4-5 years at 10 mil yr
train

this injury scares me. is that why the bills let a #1 receiver go. did injury cost him speed and mental courage.

nighttrain

Legend
this injury scares me. is that why the bills let a #1 receiver go. did injury cost him speed and mental courage.
it's coold as fuck in Buffalo, even in the summertime, and for them, they got our 2nd rounder, which i'm sure they considered a late 1st rounder, and Gaines. fair for them
train

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
There might be pressure to bring him back considering what they gave up for him.
Mebbe....but I think that the plan all along was to sign him long term or at the very least franchise him for a year or so. I believe that Snead and Coach Mac always intended to make Watkins a big part of this man's football team going forward.
So in that context giving up Gaines and a 2 round pick is rather small pickins' if you ask me......

~ArkyRamsFan~

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

still want to know why he can't work his way back to the ball. maybe this is why goff doesn't throw his way often. if the ball isn't exactly onto his chest forget about it, incompletion or interception.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't think Sammy was as good as I thought he was. There were so many plays that he was seemingly lost, or simply disinterested. Franchise him?? No, he doesn't deserve that type of pay, or anything close to it.

If the coaching staff knows something that I don't, then try to sign him, to a sensible contract. He is supposed to be this guy that can stretch the defense, out run the safety....I, just didn't see that kind of speed, attention, or separation from Sammy. I, so much would love to love this guy, but I can't, based on his show, no show performances, and I certainly wouldn't pay him a top-tier salary based on his performance with this team.

I want a guy dialed in, and I want a guy that can get a step on someone, 25-plus yards from the LOS. Can, Sammy do that consistently? He hasn't shown that to me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Here's what I think ......reality is added in this post here.......... approx. 13 million a yr & tons of GUARANTEES......

Alshon Jeffery a 2012 Draft, Round 2, #45 overall (Bears) signed a four year, $52.25 million contract with the Eagles on December 2, 2017. Jeffery received $14.5 million in full guarantees upon signing and $27.25 million in total guarantees. The guarantee is made up of a $6.25 million signing bonus. $6.5 million option bonus due in 2018........

Does my follow Sammy Watkins fans think that this 2014 Draft, Round 1, #4 overall & his agent will take less ?? Really? Why when they can easily get what they want from numerous elsewhere teams who have some the Rams do not ....Abundant Cap room funds $$$...:hellno:

It's a empty room here where I sit of this Sammy Watkins discussion. I want him to be here to play a part in this Ram team :cautious:.....but I would never pay or cause my team to waste that kinds of cap funds for him the pluses do not out number the minuses of that long term cap hit. I do feel this unseen pending damage that I know is lurking around the bend :sneak:, that I foresee is there with making this kind of big $$$ deal with this talent.:icare:

Bottom Line here I believe there is much better ways to upgrade this team from other not yet known players who I think will help this team win many games besides Sammy. So many other more concerns elsewhere to be beefing up what is already a very large talented receiving cadre.

Last edited:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I think the Rams are in a place now were they will not need to over pay these FAs to play for them. Players now want to play for this team and this coaching staff, also the team being in LA is another selling point. I predict Watkins will be back with a deal similar to the one Woods is on.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alshon finished with 57 catches (120 target) 789 yards and 9 TD
Watkins finished with 39 catches (70 target) 593 yards and 8 TD
Who was the more effective player?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Alshon finished with 57 catches (120 target) 789 yards and 9 TD
Watkins finished with 39 catches (70 target) 593 yards and 8 TD
Who was the more effective player?

This is a very underrated stat. Instead of looking at total yards you should look at Targets combined with total yards. Just as you showed. Bravo