Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
McVay would pee his pants. Think I might too...

Did a mock as the Chargers and this happened. Nabers went to AZ and the Bears nabbed Harrison at 9.
Willing to put money down this doesn't happen.

On a side note, I think QB may get nutty in 1st round though with a 5th QB sneaking in and a super outside chance that 6 QBs sneak in with Nix and Penix surprising. It seems like the majority of the league doesn't think they're 1st round picks but it only takes one team to fall in love with a QB.

Lots of Denver and Nix talk and Lots of Raiders and Penix talk these days. I don't think it happens in the 1st. I don't think it happens where either picks, maybe in a trade down. But... there's a non-zero chance it happens for one or both.

And good for us.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
This should make some ppl hopeful.
IMG_7906.jpeg

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
A true X is what this team is missing on offense.

We also need to begin planning for life after Kupp. Pearsall - who we met with - is like diet coke Kupp.
Agreed.

Both reasons is why I think McSnead has a WR much higher on the list than fans suspect. Pearsall could replace Kupp. Odunze could be both a Kupp replacement and a true X.

I suspect a 1st round WR has a decent chance of happening.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'd never put money down on the draft...(Caleb going #1 but who's gonna bet against that?). I remember there were many Ram fans who would have bet money Suh was a generational franchise altering talent. He was excellent. But it took him 3 teams and 11 years to be a champion. Clearly, we got the generational talent in 2014 (at #13), who did everything Suh was supposed to do. A name that comes to mind, when I think of misevaluations is Aaron Curry. Another "generational talent". Rams fans loved him but we took Jason Smith and they both sucked. IIRC, every year during that long run of 7-9 (or much less) bullshit, Ram fans knew of a "generational talent" we missed on or should have taken. There are no sure things.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'd never put money down on the draft...(Caleb going #1 but who's gonna bet against that?). I remember there were many Ram fans who would have bet money Suh was a generational franchise altering talent. He was excellent. But it took him 3 teams and 11 years to be a champion. Clearly, we got the generational talent in 2014 (at #13), who did everything Suh was supposed to do. A name that comes to mind, when I think of misevaluations is Aaron Curry. Another "generational talent". Rams fans loved him but we took Jason Smith and they both sucked. IIRC, every year during that long run of 7-9 (or much less) bullshit, Ram fans knew of a "generational talent" we missed on or should have taken. There are no sure things.
Yeah, money's a risk assessment ish

I'm okay with that risk but I'm not putting crazy money down.

Course, someone has to be willing to take and make the bet. Then we can talk numbers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Agreed.

Both reasons is why I think McSnead has a WR much higher on the list than fans suspect. Pearsall could replace Kupp. Odunze could be both a Kupp replacement and a true X.

It depends on how the players get called, but I still think a WR in round one is possible.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Harrison Jr not working out shouldn't be that much of a surprise. He the heavy favorite for top WR and top 3 player overall in the draft. I remember, not too long ago, Sidney Jones tearing his achillies during a pre draft work out. That cost him millions of dollars and it would cost Harrison even more millions of dollars. Teams know what he can do and how fast/strong he is. I'd have to seriously consider skipping these pre draft workouts if I was him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

On a side note, I think QB may get nutty in 1st round though with a 5th QB sneaking in and a super outside chance that 6 QBs sneak in with Nix and Penix surprising. It seems like the majority of the league doesn't think they're 1st round picks but it only takes one team to fall in love with a QB.

Lots of Denver and Nix talk and Lots of Raiders and Penix talk these days. I don't think it happens in the 1st. I don't think it happens where either picks, maybe in a trade down. But... there's a non-zero chance it happens for one or both.

And good for us.
I hope it happens, like you said, it would be great for the Rams. Plus that will keep those teams bad for a few more years Penix and Nix are not going to be good in the NFL.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Agreed.

Only if one of the big three fall or there's something wrong with Kupp that we don't know about, IMO.

It's just hard for me to imagine a team striking gold with Puka in the 5th round last year using a 1st rounder on a WR the very next season in a very deep WR draft class. Now if Brock Bowers fell into their laps that may be a different story.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Only if one of the big three fall or there's something wrong with Kupp that we don't know about, IMO.

It's just hard for me to imagine a team striking gold with Puka in the 5th round last year using a 1st rounder on a WR the very next season in a very deep WR draft class. Now if Brock Bowers fell into their laps that may be a different story.

If you consider McSnead's pattern, they always try to stay ahead of the curve. They routinely draft replacements a year ahead of key players hitting free agency. The Kobie Turner pick last year was likely b/c they knew AD was leaving after this season. Per Jourdan, they've been strategizing for his eventual retirement since the 2022 SB.

Point being, they probably do know something about Kupp that we don't know about and are getting ahead of it. He's had two down years in a row, he's now 30, and has always been an injury concern. Why else would we see the interest in Evans, Odunze, Pearsall? All signs that point to WR being high on the list.

We know their strategy this year is to have an elite offense carry an average defense. What happens if Kupp has another year like 2022 and 2023? At that point, the WR room is just Puka and mediocrity. Definitely not elite.

Not saying there is a high likelihood but I can see a decent possibility of a trade up for one of the big three if one falls to say the 8-9 range and them staying put at 19 and taking Brian Thomas, Jr.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really really hope they aren't high on Thomas Jr. Sure, he's a big deep threat, but did little else in college. He was a hitch and go route guy who didn't separate much in press/man. I happen to really like watching LSU football, so did see a fair amount of his games. He's a good deep threat (or was in college) but, in the NFL, they are going to find your weaknesses and exploit them. They are going to press the hell out of him and have a super athletic safety over the top. If given the option, I'd rather trade down and grab a guy later with added draft comp. I'm not saying he won't develop into a great WR, but, IMO, he isn't that now.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I hope it happens, like you said, it would be great for the Rams. Plus that will keep those teams bad for a few more years Penix and Nix are not going to be good in the NFL.
Both not good at throwing over the middle and multi-year starters... that loses me. Should have developed there during that time.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both not good at throwing over the middle and multi-year starters... that loses me. Should have developed there during that time.
Honestly, most of the top guys didn't throw over the middle much. Those that did and did it well were: Daniels, McCarthy, Hartman (to a lesser extent). I'd guess its not implemented as much in the college game as the pros based upon this years QB crop.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Honestly, most of the top guys didn't throw over the middle much. Those that did and did it well were: Daniels, McCarthy, Hartman (to a lesser extent). I'd guess its not implemented as much in the college game as the pros based upon this years QB crop.
I think it's pretty widely considered that Daniels did not throw much over the middle and didn't look great doing it. But his trajectory trends upward so maybe teams feel like he'll improve there. This is a big reason why he'll prob go 3rd and not 2nd amongst a few other things.

Williams and Mayes very good at it. Where as Daniels maybe 1-3 times a game more like 10-12 a game for those guys. I don't think Daniels completion percentage there was that good either. McCarthy not asked to throw much but the throws were money and completion percentage was good.

Throwing over the middle takes a very good understanding of the offense, arm talent, ability to anticipate, understanding of coverages and ... well... some balls.

It's a high end skill that not even every NFL QB does well regularly. I think it's just really hard to find college QBs who can do that.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hard to guess what we’ll do.

Nacua and Kupp were draft day steals, both later rounds. Harris the only true bust.

2017 - Kupp and Reynolds
2018 - None
2019 - None
2020 - Van Jefferson
2021 - Atwell, Harris, Skow
2022 - None
2023 - Nacua