Rams WR situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sounds like you're looking for
QuickAction.jpg

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Sounds like you're looking for
QuickAction.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the pass in the corner of the end zone that Bradford placed perfectly and Quick dropped. Then Bradford got hurt minutes later. I'm not bitter about that drop at all LOL. I won't miss Quick one bit, but I wish him well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Thomas' advantage is his coverage teams ability. It's impressive and gives him a real good shot at the bottom of the roster.

You know, this won't be popular and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I'd try him at safety this year in camp. He has a natural ability to track at full speed and great tackling instincts. Honestly I think the dude could be a very, very good safety and for this season his ability to cover on teams means he probably will still make the roster.

codeman

UDFA
My view of the WRs on the roster:
Tavon Austin - is a gadget WR who will probably never get close to 1000 yards receiving but should have high TD totals. It seems they want to move him outside which might help him.
Robert Woods - is a decent #2. I think they signed him because he can play inside and out equally well and doesn't pigeonhole them into a type of WR in the draft. His numbers should improve with more targets and he should get around 800 yards and 5 TDs a season. Don't expect Garcon numbers he's not as talented.

After this its just guys you totally can't depend on.
Pharoh Cooper - He was way over drafted. He doesn't really have the lateral agility to play in the slot and he is not fast, explosive, or big enough to play outside. His sparq score was 6th perentile (94% of NFL WRs are more athletic). He got no separation this year. He plays physical and can make tough catches but he doesn't offer a whole lot.
Mike Thomas - I really liked him before the draft last year. He should make the team because of his special teams play. He is athletic and can win deep. Should probably be the backup flanker. The problem is he completely lost his hands last year. All I heard about him all training camp was that he was dropping everything in sight. It obviously carried over into games.
Nelson Spruce - He was injured all year so its hard to get a read on him. He has excellent hands and is probably a slot only player because he doesn't have the explosion or speed to play outside. He reminds me a lot of Cooper Kupp so I hope they don't draft him over receivers more talented. I'm assuming he will be the 6th WR so there is a backup on the roster who can catch a pass, but he can definitely be upgraded.

Its a horrible group and maybe the worst WR group in the entire NFL. Drafting a Juju or Godwin would allow Woods to play inside. They can also probably get a receiver like Zay Jones, Taywan Taylor, Carlos Henderson in the 3rd round and play them in the slot so they get an athletic mismatch in the middle. If they can get a pure slot receiver later like a Switzer or Trent Taylor they should also. The unit needs major upgrading.

I expect more out of Higbee this year, he has a lot of talent. He is pretty much the only TE on the roster with any expectations, which shows how barren the roster is there. They desperately need to draft another TE, hopefully someone who wins laterally and can play the move TE position.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because Gordon was basically kicked out off of Baylor for it, and has been suspended on 3 separate occasions in the NFL
Carter spun out of control, got cut from the Eagles and turned his life around
One guy cant get straight while the other guy straightened out his path

But that's my point.

Considering it would be a career death sentence for his agent to outright lie about Gordon's state of sobriety, if nothing else, the AGENT isn't going to lie about Gordon. If Gordon isn't clean, then he just has to be honest and let him know that football isn't in his future, maybe ever.

Point is that his agent not only said he's clean, but that he's been living with him for a YEAR and he's ready to come back as strong as ever.

So, even if we discount his 2016 preseason where he looked dominant and discount his workouts where he looks as good as ever, it's awful hard to discount his agent in this one case because unless this agent is willing to lie, get caught in a lie and make no money, but also kill his career, then Occam's Razor via deductive reasoning tells us that he is telling the truth regarding his sobriety and drive to play.

So, yeah, I actually see this as having lots of parallels with Cris Carter in that Josh Gordon was on pace to SMASH the single season receiving record and his 12 game streak has to be the best of all time. NO ONE else has ever had 1700 yards in 12 games, iirc.

Since his talent isn't in question, not seriously, the only question is...is he sober and committed to staying that way.

Since it looks like that's the case, that's why I'm so pounding the table for him.

Now last year, I wasn't enthused as much because even though he looked great, he hadn't really done anything to show he was prepared to succeed. The fact that he did decide that he needed further and more intensive treatment shows his commitment to success on a long term basis.

And he didn't leave after a week or two. He did the full 30 days and then forewent his liberty to live with his agent and prove that he was serious.

There are no guarantees in life, but I think he's turned a corner. I understand those that don't.

But my point is this: if he has turned a corner and is as good or better than he was in 2013 when he blew up, he's got HoF level talent. Moreover, because of his past, the next few years and frankly, the rest of his career is gonna be at a reduced price because he can't afford the slightest slip up or he's gone forever. He can't even have certain cough medicines or mouth washes because of the alcohol. I think he recognizes the precariousness of his situation and that's why he realized that with so many pitfalls, he had to address his impulses and be taught how to manage in order to succeed.

Honestly, it's tough to overlook HoF level talent. And the NFL is different than MLB in that you won't see a Steve Howe type getting 7 chances. He's had multiple chances which stem from being young and having a problem. Even with that problem, he tore up the league. How much better will he be sober, dedicated and focused??? And can anyone say that Goff wouldn't be significantly better with both Gordon and Woods versus just Woods?

I hear any who says that this is fan stuff. That said, we're a team with an improving young QB, a definitely improved OL, a top tier RB that's itching to get back to his rookie form and improve on that AND room for a clear #1 which actually better leverages the talent of the other FA WR we signed.

We'll see.

I know Shanny was in Cleveland and the LAST thing I want is Gordon in a 9ers uni... that would SUCK. And don't think Pete Carroll won't be looking.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But that's my point.

Considering it would be a career death sentence for his agent to outright lie about Gordon's state of sobriety, if nothing else, the AGENT isn't going to lie about Gordon. If Gordon isn't clean, then he just has to be honest and let him know that football isn't in his future, maybe ever.

Point is that his agent not only said he's clean, but that he's been living with him for a YEAR and he's ready to come back as strong as ever.

So, even if we discount his 2016 preseason where he looked dominant and discount his workouts where he looks as good as ever, it's awful hard to discount his agent in this one case because unless this agent is willing to lie, get caught in a lie and make no money, but also kill his career, then Occam's Razor via deductive reasoning tells us that he is telling the truth regarding his sobriety and drive to play.

So, yeah, I actually see this as having lots of parallels with Cris Carter in that Josh Gordon was on pace to SMASH the single season receiving record and his 12 game streak has to be the best of all time. NO ONE else has ever had 1700 yards in 12 games, iirc.

Since his talent isn't in question, not seriously, the only question is...is he sober and committed to staying that way.

Since it looks like that's the case, that's why I'm so pounding the table for him.

Now last year, I wasn't enthused as much because even though he looked great, he hadn't really done anything to show he was prepared to succeed. The fact that he did decide that he needed further and more intensive treatment shows his commitment to success on a long term basis.

And he didn't leave after a week or two. He did the full 30 days and then forewent his liberty to live with his agent and prove that he was serious.

There are no guarantees in life, but I think he's turned a corner. I understand those that don't.

But my point is this: if he has turned a corner and is as good or better than he was in 2013 when he blew up, he's got HoF level talent. Moreover, because of his past, the next few years and frankly, the rest of his career is gonna be at a reduced price because he can't afford the slightest slip up or he's gone forever. He can't even have certain cough medicines or mouth washes because of the alcohol. I think he recognizes the precariousness of his situation and that's why he realized that with so many pitfalls, he had to address his impulses and be taught how to manage in order to succeed.

Honestly, it's tough to overlook HoF level talent. And the NFL is different than MLB in that you won't see a Steve Howe type getting 7 chances. He's had multiple chances which stem from being young and having a problem. Even with that problem, he tore up the league. How much better will he be sober, dedicated and focused??? And can anyone say that Goff wouldn't be significantly better with both Gordon and Woods versus just Woods?

I hear any who says that this is fan stuff. That said, we're a team with an improving young QB, a definitely improved OL, a top tier RB that's itching to get back to his rookie form and improve on that AND room for a clear #1 which actually better leverages the talent of the other FA WR we signed.

We'll see.

I know Shanny was in Cleveland and the LAST thing I want is Gordon in a 9ers uni... that would SUCK. And don't think Pete Carroll won't be looking.
Cris Carter saw his life spinning out of control and was able to make a turnaround. Gordon has had many opportunities and has botched each one so far.
I think it's an insult to Carter to be mentioned in this breath. Let Gordon have a 10 year run of sobriety and making a difference with his life then maybe it's appropriate.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Does anyone KNOW what the status of Josh Gordon is with the league - I thought he'd had an indefinite ban from the sport??

Last I read was he'd been to rehab and was released after a couple of months - now correct me if I'm wrong but addiction / recovery is an everyday struggle and he needs constant counselling. If he's clean and dry and willing and happy to compete and play, if he's in that place, then yes, he's a talent that we could definitely benefit from. BUT if football and the stresses of the league etc, take him to that dark place where his addiction lies, then he's best to hang up his cleats, for his own health and sanity. And the Rams are better off drafting a WR early in the second.

We need that 'Alpha' receiver that I mentioned in another thread. A guy that WILL worry DBs with their ability on 50/50 balls, their route running and their sheer dominance. I don't believe we have those guys just yet. We've got a great #2 in Woods and a great gadget in Austin - but we need the 6'2" + guy that will force guys to cover him maybe 2 on 1 - freeing up Woods, Austin, Gurley and our TEs with 1 on 1s

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My view of the WRs on the roster:
Wow, and didn't even have to pay $1...
Agree to a point...but great summation of the talent. I think Cooper Kupp is a little more athletic than Spruce and a better route runner.
I actually think we have some talent....better QB play = better wr play

Does anyone KNOW what the status of Josh Gordon is with the league - I thought he'd had an indefinite ban from the sport??
Josh was allowed to return last year. He voluntarily checked himself into rehab last year....

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Josh was allowed to return last year. He voluntarily checked himself into rehab last year....

One thing I am a little worried about is how "voluntary" this actually was. Was it voluntary because he checked himself in before he got caught again? He wouldn't check himself in if he wasn't having a problem, right?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Last I read was he'd been to rehab and was released after a couple of months - now correct me if I'm wrong but addiction / recovery is an everyday struggle and he needs constant counselling. If he's clean and dry and willing and happy to compete and play, if he's in that place, then yes, he's a talent that we could definitely benefit from. BUT if football and the stresses of the league etc, take him to that dark place where his addiction lies, then he's best to hang up his cleats, for his own health and sanity. And the Rams are better off drafting a WR early in the second.

We need that 'Alpha' receiver that I mentioned in another thread. A guy that WILL worry DBs with their ability on 50/50 balls, their route running and their sheer dominance. I don't believe we have those guys just yet. We've got a great #2 in Woods and a great gadget in Austin - but we need the 6'2" + guy that will force guys to cover him maybe 2 on 1 - freeing up Woods, Austin, Gurley and our TEs with 1 on 1s

You know Shaun I think it's more accurate to say us fans "want" that alpha receiver who will worry DBs. Reason I point that out is simply because the top teams, the Super Bowl champs and even conference game teams tend to not have a dominant alpha receiver. Falcons were sort of an aberration in that they have one and got to the Super Bowl, but of course lost to a team that doesn't have one. And btw I am not saying you can't win a Super Bowl if you have one. Just observing that in spite of that wow factor it's not anywhere near a need like good corners, pass rushers, LT, and QB.

As to Gordon I can't wait until this guy finally gets a permanent ban. So tired of hearing his name thrown about like he's any sort of answer.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You know Shaun I think it's more accurate to say us fans "want" that alpha receiver who will worry DBs. Reason I point that out is simply because the top teams, the Super Bowl champs and even conference game teams tend to not have a dominant alpha receiver. Falcons were sort of an aberration in that they have one and got to the Super Bowl, but of course lost to a team that doesn't have one. And btw I am not saying you can't win a Super Bowl if you have one. Just observing that in spite of that wow factor it's not anywhere near a need like good corners, pass rushers, LT, and QB.

As to Gordon I can't wait until this guy finally gets a permanent ban. So tired of hearing his name thrown about like he's any sort of answer.

Totally agree with you - a team doesn't need one to win a SB. But I just think that the Rams could benefit from them. We've not been taken seriously in recent seasons at all and we've had good corners and pass rushers. We now have an answer at LT. QB - I hope we have our answer.

I know teams like the Pats and Seattle don't have elite WRs when it comes to size, but they possess other elite attacking features.

17: Pats: Brady
16: Broncos: Manning
15: Pats: Brady
14: Seahawks: Russell
13: Ravens: Flacco
12: Giants: Manning
11: Packers: Rodgers
10: Saints: Brees
09: Steelers: Big Ben
08: Giants: Manning
07: Colts: Manning
06: Steelers: Big Ben
05: Pats: Brady etc...

The QB position is key...

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think we're all forgetting Spruce. He looked like a keeper before he was injured. Perhaps he's healthy this year and earns a spot. Coming into the NFL he had 3 drops in his last 288 targets. While not the #1, #2 or even #3 guy on the depth chart, he is a guy who will catch it if you throw it his way. That's invaluable in the WCO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
One thing I am a little worried about is how "voluntary" this actually was. Was it voluntary because he checked himself in before he got caught again? He wouldn't check himself in if he wasn't having a problem, right?
Addiction...is like that....I'd guess an agent or adviser looked at his situation....about to go on the road....away from his support system...and advised Josh, man, you aint ready to be alone out there with all this money. So he may not have had a problem...but he may have appeared vulnerable to temptation.

the Super Bowl champs and even conference game teams tend to not have a dominant alpha receiver.
Yet the Pats went out and grabbed Cook....for their #1 pick in the draft. They've had terrible luck drafting wrs too. And they do have a #1 of sorts....He's called Gronk. Pitt, GB, Dallas, and Atl all have legitimate downfield threats. So does Oakland now...NY giants...all are expected to have good offenses...and have hopes for a superbowl appearance.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

We don't know why he checked himself in and it's unfair to speculate. He may have simply realized that while he was physically capable of playing, he didn't have enough control to not fail again in sobriety and he didn't want to blow his career coming back when he wasn't ready.

Either way, he got the intensive help he needed.

And there's NO QUESTION in my mind that in this offense, he would be a BEAST. The only issue is if he's ready to handle the rigors of playing.

Only he knows ultimately which is why I would want the Rams to have him in the building. If they are good with him especially with how they've altered the roster thus far, I'd be ecstatic.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yet the Pats went out and grabbed Cook....for their #1 pick in the draft. They've had terrible luck drafting wrs too. And they do have a #1 of sorts....He's called Gronk. Pitt, GB, Dallas, and Atl all have legitimate downfield threats. So does Oakland now...NY giants...all are expected to have good offenses...and have hopes for a superbowl appearance.

You know what's ironic is this year they didn't have Gronk and they won the SB. Last year they had him and were eliminated by Denver.

But you do bring up an interesting point here, and that is a big TE with good hands might be more valuable than the conventional #1 wideout simply because it's a more consistent matchup problem for a defense. Defenses can roll coverages to the wideout and put their top CB on him, but the TE is a bit tougher to focus and probably more of a safety blanket for a QB all things being equal.

If I were a GM here's what I'd do: every offseason I'd audition basketball power forward types and bring the best one in as a UDFA. I would get all giant and $#!t with the position and let the dude line up in the slot just running rudimentary "jump ball" routes.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
We don't know why he checked himself in and it's unfair to speculate. He may have simply realized that while he was physically capable of playing, he didn't have enough control to not fail again in sobriety and he didn't want to blow his career coming back when he wasn't ready.

Either way, he got the intensive help he needed.

And there's NO QUESTION in my mind that in this offense, he would be a BEAST. The only issue is if he's ready to handle the rigors of playing.

Only he knows ultimately which is why I would want the Rams to have him in the building. If they are good with him especially with how they've altered the roster thus far, I'd be ecstatic.

It's incredibly fair to speculate. In fact, it's only fair to speculate. If a team is going to base money, reputation and wins on him, they have to speculate on everything. As fans, we are discussing on what the team might do. Therefore, it is very reasonable to speculate on why he volunteered for rehab.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It's incredibly fair to speculate. In fact, it's only fair to speculate. If a team is going to base money, reputation and wins on him, they have to speculate on everything. As fans, we are discussing on what the team might do. Therefore, it is very reasonable to speculate on why he volunteered for rehab.

I tend not to speculate on motives. I especially hope the team doesn't.

I suppose it's the time to do that, but it's not me. I do what I do based on actions and provable intentions.

But we'll see. I expect him to play this year...somewhere. And we'll see.