Rams WR situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
crap, when you put it like that. Im not excited about our current wrs at all.

I wasn't trying to be a negative Nelly @Jacobarch... I believe Woods will be a big upgrade over Britt though it might not show in his first year as a Ram unless Goff and the offense gel at a fast pace under McVay.

I was just looking at the entire current WR unit as a whole and keeping my expectations in check that they're going to tear up the league in 2017. Stats don't tell the whole truth but on the surface it looks like another one or two key pieces are missing?

I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of them take big steps but other than Woods I'm not making any bold predictions that this group has special talent based on last season.

I'm sure @LACHAMP46 looks at the entire unit much worse than I do. LACHMAMP doesn't sugarcoat anything except his woman when he's in her doghouse :rolllaugh:

Shane Grandle

TE in a OT body
Name
RamsDCrep
Am I the only one who liked Mike Thomas. Sure he missed one wide open catch and didn't get much playing time but I remember several routes I saw him run and I was thoroughly impressed with the separation he got. Solid special teamer and I feel he has a fit in the system

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Thomas is just as good a special teamer as Marquez and has a lot more potential as a receiver. Keep him over BM

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Put me in the "Get Gordon Cheap" camp.
I want his talent on this team. He's sick as hell as a receiving threat.

If he's cheap, why the heck not.
Many 1st rnd picks don't pan out and people are freaking out about a guy we could possible get for a mid to late rnd pick?
Gordon isn't a criminal. He has no history of abuse to woman, children or animals.
He smoked weed. BFD. I know it's against NFL regs, but it's something that can be set aside for most people.
It's not Crack, prescription drugs, tobacco or alcohol. All which are much more addictive.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Okay, some of this will garner immediate disagreement, but hear me out.

I see a chance for this WR corps to be a) among the best in the NFL and b) from a karma standpoint to be a rallying point for this team.

Why?

Well, first, let me just say what I'm thinking and then I'll go into why. I think our WR corps could end up being this, presuming we keep six guys.

Josh Gordon, Robert Woods, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Pharoah Cooper and Bradley Marquez.

Now, let's go through them.

1) Josh Gordon's talent isn't in question. He's been mad working out and at only 25, there's no chance his skills have diminished. The ONLY question is has he matured and embraced playing and living within the restrictive rules that would be placed in front of him. I think he has embraced sobriety and desperately wants to prove himself. So much so, in fact, that I'd trade a late round pick to Cleveland to ensure that he doesn't hit the waiver wire. Having a squared away Josh Gordon as our #1 would be phenomenal and I've already said that based on my analysis of both McVay's offense and what Gordon brings, we'd be in the playoffs with Josh Gordon.

2) We haven't had this level of receiver since Torry Holt and they compare nicely as very solid route runners and with their great hands. I'd say Bruce, but I think like Holt, he's more of a 1b/2 WR that kills teams when given the 1-on-1 opportunities. Robert Woods would be a reliable 3rd down target as well as someone who stresses the 2nd/3rd CB and beats them. With Gordon and Woods, I think we'd easily have two receivers over 1k yards. Easily.

3) Tavon Austin would go nuts in this situation because with Gordon and Woods, there is no spy. The teams simply couldn't spy Austin AND defend against Gurley breaking a big run. And that lets McVay set up some fantastic plays and really show how much of a weapon Austin is. This is the scenario where Austin earns his pay.

4) Yep, I said Stedman Bailey. Presuming he's all the way back, which I have a feeling he will be. Bailey's hands and route running ability would be excellent for a 3 WR set with Gordon and Woods. That's a hands crew that would terrify DCs. I think Bailey would be a bit rusty and need time back in uniform which is why I have him no higher than 4, but I do think he'd be able to spell Woods quite effectively or run with him on some downs. And let's not underestimate the inspirational boost Sted making it back would do to lift this team. It's EASY to see your team as a Team of Destiny when you have a guy who came back from being shot twice in the head to legit make the roster!

5) Pharaoh Cooper is a very nice #2 type receiver who can spell or run with either Woods or Bailey. I would expect this young receiver in this offense to even push Bailey for snaps and that's fine. I expect with actual development and an offense that's coherent and not as dysfunctional as the last one that Cooper will make a really nice jump.

6) Special Teams ace Marquez is here mostly for STs and to develop more at WR. He's a decent WR with nice wiggle and decent hands. He'll get snaps, but his biggest contribution is still on STs where he's an ace.

I put each player through my filter as well as looking for synergies AND how they would fit into McVay's offense (and I'm glad I don't have to complain how Britt doesn't fit).

There's a lot of IFs in this scenario... IF Gordon is reinstated, IF he and the team gels, IF another team doesn't trade for him... IF Bailey gets cleared, IF he's back enough to win the job...etc.

All good questions. And no one can fully know the answers. Only time will reveal them.

It's just that when I put them all through the MPC, Mack's Pattern Configurator (yep, still need a good name...) this grouping stands out by a LOT as the best option.

First, forget about Bailey. His career as a player is over.
Josh Gordon, I have mixed feelings about. Tons of talent, but is a head case. He's unlikely to be successful.
Most people don't change once they reach adulthood and most of the ones that do, usually don't change much or permanently.
Tavon is going to have to learn how to run good routes-consistently first to become an ongoing threat. I am hopeful the new staff can beat that into his head.
Bradley - I like his hustle, but I'm not sure he can be anything more than a ST contributor in the long run.
JMHO :)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First, forget about Bailey. His career as a player is over.
Josh Gordon, I have mixed feelings about. Tons of talent, but is a head case. He's unlikely to be successful.
Most people don't change once they reach adulthood and most of the ones that do, usually don't change much or permanently.
Tavon is going to have to learn how to run good routes-consistently first to become an ongoing threat. I am hopeful the new staff can beat that into his head.
Bradley - I like his hustle, but I'm not sure he can be anything more than a ST contributor in the long run.
JMHO :)

Cris Carter did. Carter was a mess and nearly washed out of the league. Got his act together in a new spot and had a HoF career. I was very deliberate in my comments and if I hadn't seen certain things, I wouldn't have suggested it. As I said, I come from a family of addicts and tend to be kinda harsh on that behavior. I would not want to have a Steve Howe on the team, irrespective of talent because that's asking to be let down.

If Gordon hadn't gone in patient and foregone this past season, among other issues, I'd be much, much, much more skeptical.

I predict in the right atmosphere, Gordon will have a monster year. I think this environment is the best in the NFL for him based on a number of factors.

I don't expect anything to happen with him for awhile, but hopefully prior to the Draft. I understand that his application is already underway, so we'll see.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I have to disagree on Bailey and Marquez. I'd love for Bailey to remain here as a wide receivers coach, but after being shot twice in the head, he'll never be cleared for contact football. As for Marquez, I love his special teams potential, but Thomas is better as a gunner.

Personally, I'm lukewarm on Gordon. I wouldn't want to trade for him, but if we do, I won't be upset.

My receiving corps would be this:

Woods
Austin
Cooper
Thomas
Spruce
(Rookie)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm sure @LACHAMP46 looks at the entire unit much worse than I do. LACHMAMP doesn't sugarcoat anything except his woman when he's in her doghouse :rolllaugh:

Don't forget Brian Quick. @LACHAMP46 sugar coats Brian Quick to the point where I suspect he has a life sized fathead of the dude that he prefers to his woman. :p

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
If you find a doctor that will clear Stedman to play in the NFL after taking multiple bullets to the head I'll be shocked.

The head grows back stronger... It's like a repaired tire... The repaired hole is way stronger than the rest of the tire.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The head grows back stronger... It's like a repaired tire... The repaired hole is way stronger than the rest of the tire.

Is that your professional opinion Doc ? Cause that's just the kind of post I would expect of a guy named InnovatedMind. (y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is this not comparable?
Because Gordon was basically kicked out off of Baylor for it, and has been suspended on 3 separate occasions in the NFL
Carter spun out of control, got cut from the Eagles and turned his life around
One guy cant get straight while the other guy straightened out his path

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure we'll take one with our 2nd round pick, and that will round out the receiving corps

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@dieterbrock @Mackeyser
Chris Carter was smoking cocaine.....Josh Gordon is smoking weed....at least that's what he said he had...LOLOLOL But that's a huge difference.

Don't forget Brian Quick. @LACHAMP46 sugar coats Brian Quick to the point where I suspect he has a life sized fathead of the dude that he prefers to his woman. :p

You know I've been crossing my fingers...just hoping for entertainment value...that Quick signs a 2 year deal...Man....I gotta believe he's still better than Spruce, Cooper, Marquez, and.....Tavon. Probably just as good as Woods too....But again...Woods is a professional....He's great to have around young players.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@dieterbrock @Mackeyser
Chris Carter was smoking cocaine.....Josh Gordon is smoking weed....at least that's what he said he had...LOLOLOL But that's a huge difference.

You know I've been crossing my fingers...just hoping for entertainment value...that Quick signs a 2 year deal...Man....I gotta believe he's still better than Spruce, Cooper, Marquez, and.....Tavon. Probably just as good as Woods too....But again...Woods is a professional....He's great to have around young players.
e2a68c29f0fed702d627148efe5d1952.jpg

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Am I the only one who liked Mike Thomas. Sure he missed one wide open catch and didn't get much playing time but I remember several routes I saw him run and I was thoroughly impressed with the separation he got. Solid special teamer and I feel he has a fit in the system

No, you're not.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I saw nothing from Mike Thomas that made me go "Wow!" last year. That being said, hopefully that will seriously change this season.