Rams WR situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Okay, some of this will garner immediate disagreement, but hear me out.

I see a chance for this WR corps to be a) among the best in the NFL and b) from a karma standpoint to be a rallying point for this team.

Why?

Well, first, let me just say what I'm thinking and then I'll go into why. I think our WR corps could end up being this, presuming we keep six guys.

Josh Gordon, Robert Woods, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Pharoah Cooper and Bradley Marquez.

Now, let's go through them.

1) Josh Gordon's talent isn't in question. He's been mad working out and at only 25, there's no chance his skills have diminished. The ONLY question is has he matured and embraced playing and living within the restrictive rules that would be placed in front of him. I think he has embraced sobriety and desperately wants to prove himself. So much so, in fact, that I'd trade a late round pick to Cleveland to ensure that he doesn't hit the waiver wire. Having a squared away Josh Gordon as our #1 would be phenomenal and I've already said that based on my analysis of both McVay's offense and what Gordon brings, we'd be in the playoffs with Josh Gordon.

2) We haven't had this level of receiver since Torry Holt and they compare nicely as very solid route runners and with their great hands. I'd say Bruce, but I think like Holt, he's more of a 1b/2 WR that kills teams when given the 1-on-1 opportunities. Robert Woods would be a reliable 3rd down target as well as someone who stresses the 2nd/3rd CB and beats them. With Gordon and Woods, I think we'd easily have two receivers over 1k yards. Easily.

3) Tavon Austin would go nuts in this situation because with Gordon and Woods, there is no spy. The teams simply couldn't spy Austin AND defend against Gurley breaking a big run. And that lets McVay set up some fantastic plays and really show how much of a weapon Austin is. This is the scenario where Austin earns his pay.

4) Yep, I said Stedman Bailey. Presuming he's all the way back, which I have a feeling he will be. Bailey's hands and route running ability would be excellent for a 3 WR set with Gordon and Woods. That's a hands crew that would terrify DCs. I think Bailey would be a bit rusty and need time back in uniform which is why I have him no higher than 4, but I do think he'd be able to spell Woods quite effectively or run with him on some downs. And let's not underestimate the inspirational boost Sted making it back would do to lift this team. It's EASY to see your team as a Team of Destiny when you have a guy who came back from being shot twice in the head to legit make the roster!

5) Pharaoh Cooper is a very nice #2 type receiver who can spell or run with either Woods or Bailey. I would expect this young receiver in this offense to even push Bailey for snaps and that's fine. I expect with actual development and an offense that's coherent and not as dysfunctional as the last one that Cooper will make a really nice jump.

6) Special Teams ace Marquez is here mostly for STs and to develop more at WR. He's a decent WR with nice wiggle and decent hands. He'll get snaps, but his biggest contribution is still on STs where he's an ace.

I put each player through my filter as well as looking for synergies AND how they would fit into McVay's offense (and I'm glad I don't have to complain how Britt doesn't fit).

There's a lot of IFs in this scenario... IF Gordon is reinstated, IF he and the team gels, IF another team doesn't trade for him... IF Bailey gets cleared, IF he's back enough to win the job...etc.

All good questions. And no one can fully know the answers. Only time will reveal them.

It's just that when I put them all through the MPC, Mack's Pattern Configurator (yep, still need a good name...) this grouping stands out by a LOT as the best option.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A little bit jumping the gun, bc we still have the draft and we don't know about Bailey's status or if Gordon will even be on the team.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) I believe Bailey may find it difficult to secure multiple doctors to give him a free pass at the NFL level, and this is likely to be scrutinized very carefully at the league level. No doubt it would make a great made for TV movie story about a near impossible come-back, but should this go wrong, it could be disastrous. Unfortunately, no.
5) Yes
6) No, If we sign Keyvon Webster today, we'll have a replacement for Special Teams. Id prefer to see competition between Spruce, Thomas & a new draft pick here and at your # 4. jmo

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Don't know about Josh Gordon and what he would cost but IF......and that's a pretty big IF....he's matured and is serious about playing NFL football, I'd love to see him in horns. Remove Stedman Bailey from the list and insert Nelson Spruce and I'm on board. Good read Mac

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A little bit jumping the gun, bc we still have the draft and we don't know about Bailey's status or if Gordon will even be on the team.

Well, I stipulated all the IFs and conditions.

Point wasn't that the above is def gonna happen, but based on how I pattern and figure things, that configuration was by far better than any other, including the draft. Going this route lets us go CB and either C or OLB in the 2nd and 3rd. I'd rather not have to spend a 2nd day pick on a WR.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) I believe Bailey may find it difficult to secure multiple doctors to give him a free pass at the NFL level, and this is likely to be scrutinized very carefully at the league level. No doubt it would make a great made for TV movie story about a near impossible come-back, but should this go wrong, it could be disastrous. Unfortunately, no.
5) Yes
6) No, If we sign Keyvon Webster today, we'll have a replacement for Special Teams. Id prefer to see competition between Spruce, Thomas & a new draft pick here and at your # 4. jmo

I'd rather keep Marquez and lose Chase if it comes to that. Easier to get a backup RB/STer than a WR that can be developed and shows signs he can fill in. imho of course.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well, I stipulated all the IFs and conditions.

Point wasn't that the above is def gonna happen, but based on how I pattern and figure things, that configuration was by far better than any other, including the draft. Going this route lets us go CB and either C or OLB in the 2nd and 3rd. I'd rather not have to spend a 2nd day pick on a WR.
If we are fortunate enough to land Groy by outbidding his own team, that should open another spot in the draft where so many of us have penciled in a new Center. The back-up is likely to be a cross-trained Wichmann or Brown. jmo.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm hoping they are waiting to sign Kayvon Webster before trying to figure a contract for Groy. Seems like more of a cap management move so they don't lose someone because of a slight difference in contract configuration.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'd rather keep Marquez and lose Chase if it comes to that. Easier to get a backup RB/STer than a WR that can be developed and shows signs he can fill in. imho of course.
Pretty sure Chase was an RFA who didn't receive a tender offer, believe he's already gone. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
If you find a doctor that will clear Stedman to play in the NFL after taking multiple bullets to the head I'll be shocked.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I've been all over Gordon for years but I'm not sure he fits. The Rams are bringing in character and cutting lack thereof.

Maybe Flash loves football and has just been unlucky but this wouldn't be a second chance or a third.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I say bring Gordon in on a 1 year deal. If he messes up cut bait. Draft and approach FA the same regardless if he signs with us or not. Its win win in my book.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I say bring Gordon in on a 1 year deal. If he messes up cut bait. Draft and approach FA the same regardless if he signs with us or not. Its win win in my book.
Gordon has 2 years remaining on his contract in Cleveland, if we trade for him we'll be picking up that very inexpensive contract.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive

I say bring him in on a multi-year deal. Then if he manages to keep clean, the Rams benefit from multiple years of Gordon on a decent contract.

If you bring him in on a one year deal and he does well, he's going to leave for the highest bidder.

If you bring him in on a one year deal or a multi year deal and he fails another drug test it's not going to matter either way. He will be suspended a long, long time and the Rams won't be paying him.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Gordon has 2 years remaining on his contract in Cleveland, if we trade for him we'll be picking up that very inexpensive contract.

Sportrac shows he's a FA after 2017. On a positive note, the Rams should be towards the bottom of the waiver order.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Ah for some reason I thought they cut him...
Well then nvm lol
The Browns coach basically said they had "moved on" from him. Everyone assumed that meant they would cut him upon return, but he could have meant mentally moved on.