Rams Tendering LT Alaric Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
If the oline stays healthy this year I don't see any glaring holes that would actually worry me. As of right now we have 5 solid dudes starting up front even Jackson. He's not bad, not great but good enough. He's not the reason we lost any games last year. Only giving up one sack in the entire season is pretty damn good.

I'm more worried about how the Dline will show out this year without the force of AD. While we have some great foundational pieces the surrounding parts are less than desirable as starters.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the oline stays healthy this year I don't see any glaring holes that would actually worry me. As of right now we have 5 solid dudes starting up front even Jackson. He's not bad, not great but good enough. He's not the reason we lost any games last year. Only giving up one sack in the entire season is pretty damn good.

I'm more worried about how the Dline will show out this year without the force of AD. While we have some great foundational pieces the surrounding parts are less than desirable as starters.
No dominant pass rushers. Just question marks. Can Turner produce without AD? Can Young continue to improve?

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's early, but I think both Young and Turner will show us that they can get to the QB without AD. Naw. I know Turner will. Young is the question mark, but I bet he improves.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's early, but I think both Young and Turner will show us that they can get to the QB without AD. Naw. I know Turner will. Young is the question mark, but I bet he improves.

ISN’T this a Alaric Jackson thread ?
Go to your AD99 retirement thread,or any of the threads that contain to The Rams defense.
Doesn’t Jackson play on offense?

Maybe a Hoecht thread would be more appropriate.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ISN’T this a Alaric Jackson thread ?
Go to your AD99 retirement thread,or any of the threads that contain to The Rams defense.
Doesn’t Jackson play on offense?

Maybe a Hoecht thread would be more appropriate.
Sorry, So Ram. I replied to someone in the wrong thread. My apologies.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry, So Ram. I replied to someone in the wrong thread. My apologies.
Cool man - just excited to see what happens to Alaric Jackson.

Sort of unbelievable how The Rams switched things up from Defensive Line to Offensive Line
now that AD99 retired & Steve Avila showed so much promise.

My biggest take(Oldbutnotdead??) Big Rob Havenstien & Joesph Noteboom have sort of kept that offensive line group together like Andrew Whitworth & John Sullivan started when Sean Mcvay started.

I think things have expanded & the importance of what an excellent offensive line can mean to an offense.I know Sean Mcvay felt it last season when The Rams went on there winning streak.

I don’t know how you explain how The Best Lineman weren’t playing together & at the right positions.I sort of read into things a little much & readjust to as info comes out. The O’Line is still a big discussion,but the direction The Rams are going & the position that they are moving in makes the most SENSE!! I can add to it.

—Didn’t mean 2B a Richard,but that’s me.Thanks for reply..

Wonder about if the tender for Alaric Jackson changed for a reason?? Meaning the draft pick or not ? Now The question comes do The Rams give him a 1 year deal,or multiple year contract ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Alaric Jackson tender will become a thing depending on what happens to him contract wise.

There are basically 3 ways it can go IMO. I’m not a total numbers geek & all these change of how it all works is only hypothetical to me.

1. Hs becomes to expensive to resign & The Rams get a 2nd rd pick .
2. The Rams find Alaric Jackson’s true worth & his meaning to what his value is to The Rams.
3. He signs a multiyear contract where both teams are healthy ?

Then adding a 4th. He gets a 1 year tender & plays for that number assigned to his tenders worth(value).

Either way in all those cases it will have an effect on how The Rams move forward & what The Draft is going to look like .

Jake Bong is saying The Rams should trade up to get Joe Alt ??
I’ll add my thoughts on this later today.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
On #2 they may be mutually exclusive?

His value to another team isn't necessarily his value to the Rams. But if he gets an offer, we'll find out.

On Jake Bong saying go get Alt, I would agree with that if a team offered Alaric a deal we didn't want to match. If he gets an offer and we believe he's worth it, then we'll exercise the right of first refusal and sign him long term (however long the offer happens to be). There are options if he gets an offer.

1. Match it
2. Trade up for Alt or Fashanu or Fautanu
3. Take the best LT on the board at #19
4. Other

Not being a smart ass but....can you translate this:
"3. He signs a multiyear contract where both teams are healthy ?"

Note: If a team offers him a multiyear deal he's not happy with, he doesn't have to sign the offer, right? He could simply take the Rams tender....perhaps he might feel another year at LT @ 4.9 mil may get him a better payday in 2025, rather than take a deal he feels might underpay him in years 2 and 3?

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Note: If a team offers him a multiyear deal he's not happy with, he doesn't have to sign the offer, right? He could simply take the Rams tender....perhaps he might feel another year at LT @ 4.9 mil may get him a better payday in 2025, rather than take a deal he feels might underpay him in years 2 and 3?
Correct.
He is able to negotiate contracts with other teams. If he chooses to sign one, that initiates the clause of match or let go.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Correct.
He is able to negotiate contracts with other teams. If he chooses to sign one, that initiates the clause of match or let go.
What can he realistically expect in the form of offers for 16 GS at LT (1 in 2022, 15 in 2023)? 4 yrs, 80 mil? 3 yrs 45 mil? 3 yrs 30 mil? I wonder which of those the Rams might match or take the 2nd round pick? Might it also depend on WHO offers him? Just saying.....if Washington makes him an offer he takes and we don't match we get #36. If Las Vegas did #44, if Pittsburgh did #51. The differences (matching it with our #19 to move up to grab a LT) is #8, #9 or 10 and #11. I gotta believe those first two would get us Alt or Fashanu (or somebody we really liked).

Last edited:

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Well, you may find that the LT the Rams grab in the 1st round is not up to par with what Jackson has done. If Jackson had been a 1st round pick instead of an UDFA everyone would be singing his praises. People need to lighten up on this guy and find another whipping boy. Just accept the fact that the Rams found a diamond in the rough and stop trying to pick his game apart.
Right? Have never really understood the negativity towards him.

BTW @Ramstien - what's your user name mean/refer to?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Here's a question... what other teams would have to value AJ at a 2nd round pick AND a contract (possibly greater than a rookie deal or lacking a 5th year control)?

Honestly, in this tackle class, I am more than fine taking the 2nd round pick (wouldn't love it if it was late) and going after a tackle in the 1st or 2nd round. I'm guessing most teams would rather keep a 2nd and go after a pick in this class, possibly one without injury concerns (ala the remote chance the blood clots reappear).

I don't see a scenario where the Rams lose here and all I see are scenarios where other teams do.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
On #2 they may be mutually exclusive?

His value to another team isn't necessarily his value to the Rams. But if he gets an offer, we'll find out.

On Jake Bong saying go get Alt, I would agree with that if a team offered Alaric a deal we didn't want to match. If he gets an offer and we believe he's worth it, then we'll exercise the right of first refusal and sign him long term (however long the offer happens to be). There are options if he gets an offer.

1. Match it
2. Trade up for Alt or Fashanu or Fautanu
3. Take the best LT on the board at #19
4. Other

Not being a smart ass but....can you translate this:
"3. He signs a multiyear contract where both teams are healthy ?"

Well your healthy part doesn’t mean he stays healthy.That blood clot thing is whatever that was ?

There is no way I agree of taking a Tackle in 2024 early in the draft as of now.
Right now it’s holding the cards tight & keep letting the hand play out .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here's a question... what other teams would have to value AJ at a 2nd round pick AND a contract (possibly greater than a rookie deal or lacking a 5th year control)?

Honestly, in this tackle class, I am more than fine taking the 2nd round pick (wouldn't love it if it was late) and going after a tackle in the 1st or 2nd round. I'm guessing most teams would rather keep a 2nd and go after a pick in this class, possibly one without injury concerns (ala the remote chance the blood clots reappear).

I don't see a scenario where the Rams lose here and all I see are scenarios where other teams do.
Well that’s why the 2nd rd tender was a good call.Could you imagine if The Rams just did the low ball tender as a udrfa & get nothing for him ? Hard call though,because if the contract was not to expensive ? There were more ways for The Rams to lose.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What can he realistically expect in the form of offers for 16 GS at LT (1 in 2022, 15 in 2023)? 4 yrs, 80 mil? 3 yrs 45 mil? 3 yrs 30 mil? I wonder which of those the Rams might match or take the 2nd round pick? Might it also depend on WHO offers him? Just saying.....if Washington makes him an offer he takes and we don't match we get #36. If Las Vegas did #44, if Pittsburgh did #51. The differences (matching it with our #19 to move up to grab a LT) is #8, #9 or 10 and #11. I gotta believe those first two would get us Alt or Fashanu (or somebody we really liked).
Well if a team thinks he’s a worth a 3 year, 30 mill deal then assuredly he’s worth a 2nd round pick.
Would the Rams match that ? Seems unlikely.
Alas, I think with the slow down in FA now it seems likely that he hasn’t received an offer worth taking or will be getting one.
Rams are in the driver seat here though. At 5 mill it doesn’t take a 1st round Lt out of the equation

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Right? Have never really understood the negativity towards him.

BTW @Ramstien - what's your user name mean/refer to?
A heavy metal German band we use to listen to when lifting heavy weights, Rammstein. Give a listen to Feuer freil and Ich will if your into heavy metal.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I’ll be shocked if any team signs him and, in doing so, essentially offers a 2nd round pick for him.

Of course, I’ve been shocked before!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well if a team thinks he’s a worth a 3 year, 30 mill deal then assuredly he’s worth a 2nd round pick.
Would the Rams match that ? Seems unlikely.
Alas, I think with the slow down in FA now it seems likely that he hasn’t received an offer worth taking or will be getting one.
Rams are in the driver seat here though. At 5 mill it doesn’t take a 1st round Lt out of the equation
Well… maybe the idea is he’s worth 3 & 30… OR… a second to teams.. but not both.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I’ll be shocked if any team signs him and, in doing so, essentially offers a 2nd round pick for him.

Of course, I’ve been shocked before!
If you're a team that needs a LT and you think Jackson can do the job then that round 2 pick is worth spending on him. Because you're not gonna get guys who are any more likely to do the job at that point in the draft. When it comes to OTs you're getting the guys who are projects at that point. The ones who can start quickly go early.

And I also don't expect anyone to sign him. Because he's marginal at best. So I'll also be surprised if that happens.