Rams Tendering LT Alaric Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Don’t listen to that guy. He’s an idiot. But, I hear, a very attractive man.
trophy.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do the rams save any money by cutting him?
5 mill
His current cap hit is 20 mill, they'd take an immediate dead cap hit of 15
He is due a 5 mill roster bonus in a couple days so a decision will be made very soon

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well the cool thing is that 2nd rd draft pick .

I’m in my own crowd,but having Noteboom who is a team leader & in a way was all everything last season.I was more impressed with his play more than any season.They were showing Dotson highlights & Noteboom was sealing an edge & plAying RIGHT TACKLE.When Alaric ALL of a SUDDEN leaves The Rams for a game.It was Joesph Noteboom playing LT & finishing out the game hurt.

I do know injuries have been a problem,but he knows his body better than ever & should come into OTA’s & Training Camp better than ever.

My point is if you’re saying a LT should get paid & Alaric Jackson should get paid? Then The Rams will get a 2nd rd PICK !! That’s for a player Les Snead & The Rams got as a UDRFA!!! Made a starter & get a 2nd rd pick!!! NOW that’s a sign of a Excellent Franchise & The Rams have done this multiple time under McSnead.

Being able to move up for a Rookie Top 3 Edge ? Talk about salary cap & the way to build a team.

Yes if there is a player The Rams can develop at LT do it.I’m pounding the table for Payton Wilson in the 2nd rd though.

Latu in the 1st. Rd. He is a team leader who over came (ex Ram) his HC releasing him for concerns ??
I could see the Chiefs doing this and then you get pick 64, the last 2nd rd pick. Their OTs kind of sucked last yr. Donavan Smith is not good. I would watch out for them.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I will say, I'm happy with the JJ signing but hope moving Avila doesn't have a negative impact on AJ. Avila was great at working in concert with him on the left side and often was able to give a little help to AJ. I'm sure JJ can do that too. Just not 100%.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I will say, I'm happy with the JJ signing but hope moving Avila doesn't have a negative impact on AJ. Avila was great at working in concert with him on the left side and often was able to give a little help to AJ. I'm sure JJ can do that too. Just not 100%.
Think about how much Avila will help Dotson and JJ.
Not that either need help, but our IOL looks amazing.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Think about how much Avila will help Dotson and JJ.
Not that either need help, but our IOL looks amazing.
Yes, would like him to slim a bit down starting now this offseason to help with that lateral agility but that's prob not that big a deal but absolutely.

If he does, I think we might see some really interesting things in our screen game.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yes, would like him to slim a bit down starting now this offseason to help with that lateral agility but that's prob not that big a deal but absolutely.

If he does, I think we might see some really interesting things in our screen game.
I expect McVay to get back to attacking that 15 yrd range.
Stafford will have a nice pocket to throw from.

Our Play Action will be deadly.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
As long as he's healthy.. it shouldn't be an issue at all. Jackson was a pro bowler.. the guy is a baller. Was just beat up last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That’s oversimplified. It’s not like every team needs a left tackle and many that do, know that they can draft one instead of paying for one.
Perhaps it was oversimplified, I'll admit. Also I didn't get into what Jackson may be looking for in contract, which would be a factor.

But for me the bottom line is I don't see him as a LT and the way the Rams have played this hasn't made me reconsider my take. The fact they had to wring their hands over quite a low cap hit for a guy who started at LT for them last season puts this into perspective. Also if nobody signs him away that will be the league itself being in alignment with all that.

So this exercise of waiting to see what the league thinks of him should be instructive I think. And once again I'll say that I respect what Jackson did. I just don't want to see Boom part deux, where they try to fill LT on the cheap and get burned. Because that slighter contract, when you miss, is still quite painful to the bottom line.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Perhaps it was oversimplified, I'll admit. Also I didn't get into what Jackson may be looking for in contract, which would be a factor.

But for me the bottom line is I don't see him as a LT and the way the Rams have played this hasn't made me reconsider my take. The fact they had to wring their hands over quite a low cap hit for a guy who started at LT for them last season puts this into perspective. Also if nobody signs him away that will be the league itself being in alignment with all that.

So this exercise of waiting to see what the league thinks of him should be instructive I think. And once again I'll say that I respect what Jackson did. I just don't want to see Boom part deux, where they try to fill LT on the cheap and get burned. Because that slighter contract, when you miss, is still quite painful to the bottom line.
If no one offers him more I don't see it as indicative of what the league thinks of him. I see it as no one wants to give up a valuable 2nd round pick more than no one wants to give him a nice contract. If they didn't have to give up the pick I believe he would have a few suitors.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If no one offers him more I don't see it as indicative of what the league thinks of him. I see it as no one wants to give up a valuable 2nd round pick more than no one wants to give him a nice contract. If they didn't have to give up the pick I believe he would have a few suitors.
Don’t be surprised though.If someone signs him it will be for a nice size contract.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I don't think it's a lock that pick 19 is defense.
No, but of their first 6 or 7 picks...the picks through 155 (assuming they add one on trade down), I bet 4 or 5 are on defense.

It will be a defense heavy draft

Edge, DL, CB, S, LB will all be addressed somewhat early. Maybe WR & OT will be the only offensive picks, maybe a RB as well.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

He played one full season. Maybe they want him cheap for one year to see if he can repeat what he did this season.

It’s also possible they don’t like whatever reason he gave for missing two games this year. Do the question his commitment?

But, why pay him more than they need to? I totally understand them trying to keep his contract low when there isn’t a lot of cap space. Why pay more than you have to?

Concerning the Original round tender, they still would have the choice to match. I don’t see it as ambivalence toward losing him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think the second round tender is enough to dissuade other teams from making an offer. And we get an NFL starting caliber left tackle at a good price.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are people suggesting he should have gotten the 1st round tender?
I think if the Rams didn’t want to take any chances, surely the 1st round tender makes sense.
I’d be curious to see what the average AAV is for starting LT in the league is. I’d assume 4.8-6.8 mill would be significantly low

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think if the Rams didn’t want to take any chances, surely the 1st round tender makes sense.
I’d be curious to see what the average AAV is for starting LT in the league is. I’d assume 4.8-6.8 mill would be significantly low
I think a second round makes perfect sense.
He doesn’t have enough of a body of work for an outsider to feel comfortable going all-in, imo.