Rams Tendering LT Alaric Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It's a risk, but a low end risk.

They have a restructured contract on table for Noteboom with a big hair cut per Jourdan... maybe this means he's down with it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It's a risk, but a low end risk.

They have a restructured contract on table for Noteboom with a big hair cut per Jourdan... maybe this means he's down with it.
I suppose they have studied all the other teams big needs and cap situation and figured it was good gamble. They are hoping they get little bites. You know they have a max # in the risk calculations.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It seems unnecessarily risky to me; and easily avoided with an extra $2M in the tender.

Surprised no one seems worried about losing a good young Left Tackle, without a quality replacement.

Really hope I am completely wrong here but I could see several teams, with plenty of cap space and O-Line needs, making an offer that would carry a year one cap hit that would be tough for the Rams to match.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It seems unnecessarily risky to me; and easily avoided with an extra $2M in the tender.

Surprised no one seems worried about losing a good young Left Tackle, without a quality replacement.

Really hope I am completely wrong here but I could see several teams, with plenty of cap space and O-Line needs, making an offer that would carry a year one cap hit that would be tough for the Rams to match.
My guess is the Rams feel at least somewhat good with what's available at tackle in the draft and perhaps at 19 to make this move.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
My guess is the Rams feel at least somewhat good with what's available at tackle in the draft and perhaps at 19 to make this move.
It would create a hole at LT that could be avoided with an increase in the tender of less than $2M

You would not prefer the 19th pick (or the 52nd) be used on other positions?

Psycho_X

Legend
Nice, it might backfire but we'll see. I like AJ but it's not like he was elite last season. But he's good enough I'm good with rolling with him... trust him more than Boom at least. Would be happy if we are able to nab one of the top LTs in the draft though,.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
This exactly and… If another team makes a rich offer, the Rams don’t match, and that team drafts before the Rams, that’s one more tackle that will not be selected in the first round.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
THEY CAN MATCH ANY OFFER! THERE IS NO RISK HERE!
There are teams with significant cap space and tremendous needs on the O-Line.

If an offer is structured with a large enough Year 1 cap hit, the Rams may not match.

Then they have a huge hole at Left tackle. There is a risk here.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It would create a hole at LT that could be avoided with an increase in the tender of less than $2M

You would not prefer the 19th pick (or the 52nd) be used on other positions?
I think I'd prefer the extra 2mil but maybe the Rams aren't as sold on Jackson as we are...

WestCoastRam

Legend
Nice, it might backfire but we'll see. I like AJ but it's not like he was elite last season. But he's good enough I'm good with rolling with him... trust him more than Boom at least. Would be happy if we are able to nab one of the top LTs in the draft though,.
I think this is right.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
There are teams with significant cap space and tremendous needs on the O-Line.

If an offer is structured with a large enough Year 1 cap hit, the Rams may not match.

Then they have a huge hole at Left tackle. There is a risk here.
Then you draft a LT and use money available at other positions of need in free agency.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
This exactly and… If another team makes a rich offer, the Rams don’t match, and that team drafts before the Rams, that’s one more tackle that will not be selected in the first round.
And, no Edge or Cornerback or Wide Receiver for the Rams to select at #19.

The Rams don't have to run the risk of losing their Left Tackle. A low-tender creates such a risk.

I just see it as unnecessary.

WestCoastRam

Legend
And, no Edge or Cornerback or Wide Receiver for the Rams to select at #19.

The Rams don't have to run the risk of losing their Left Tackle. A low-tender creates such a risk.

I just see it as unnecessary.
Maybe Boom has agreed to the contract the Rams gave him but he's keeping it secret. Shhhhh.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
It seems funny to talk about 3.2 million dollars like it is chump change, I worked for forty years and did not earn that much money.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Then you draft a LT and use money available at other positions of need in free agency.
The money saved from the Jackson tender is not significant ($3M).

The free agent LT group is unimpressive and old.

If they draft a LT at 19 or 52, that's one other position that can not be addressed.