Rams and Janoris working on extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
I'm so pissed reading some of these responses, I can't even post.

I really wonder if some fans know ANYTHING about football in general, and the CB position in particular.

And BTW, what the freak difference does it make if he smokes weed, or has fun on social media? So freaking what.

So freaking what. Does anybody remember when we had NO corners?

It makes a huge difference if he gets suspended for weed. It makes a huge difference when he embarrasses the team on social media (defending a mass-murderer in Aaron Hernandez). I don't like things like that because it hurts the team.

I don't understand how I've pissed you off for expressing my honest opinion. If I have, I apologize.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Best corner we have....All this EJ Gaines talk....Unless they see something that I haven't seen in Tru or EJ, this is a good move..I'd like to wait, but I don't think Tru or EJ will EVER be in his league....He gambles...Know why? He has talent...When you're scared out there, of course you never freelance...

A55VA6

Legend
2012 - 4 INT's, 3 TD's
2013 - 1 INT
2014 - 2 INT's, 2 TD's

Just goes to show when he does get INT's, they're almost an automatic TD. That's pretty huge. Janoris is just inconsistent but I think he deserves an extension.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Best corner we have....All this EJ Gaines talk....Unless they see something that I haven't seen in Tru or EJ, this is a good move..I'd like to wait, but I don't think Tru or EJ will EVER be in his league....He gambles...Know why? He has talent...When you're scared out there, of course you never freelance...

If we had the GSOT I'd say feel free to freelance. Mistakes aren't easy to overcome in our current offense, and the DL will force enough errors by the QB to minimize the need to make something happen. To me if you give up as many big plays as you make, there is no net gain from having you there.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I love this move, he has the ability to be a top CB in the league. He just needs to be consistant, but so does the team as a whole. And about the off-field "issues", that's all conjecture. He hasn't been in trouble yet, and I'm not going to worry about something that might never happen. If anyone wants to worry about players with off-field issues look at: Dunbar, Bailey, Pead, Quinn, Johnson, Britt, Battle...

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
I'm so pissed reading some of these responses, I can't even post.

I really wonder if some fans know ANYTHING about football in general, and the CB position in particular.

And BTW, what the freak difference does it make if he smokes weed, or has fun on social media? So freaking what.

So freaking what. Does anybody remember when we had NO corners?

Most of us do understand how hard it is to play corner. I played it for 4 years. I understand the difference between a calculated gamble, baiting a QB, and getting caught on play fakes and such. Just because we don't see it your way doesn't mean we don't know football. I believe my point about saving money on the secondary to keep our DL in top shape is a good one.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I don't explode often, but when I do, it's because I drink Dos Equis.

My apologies to anyone I offended.
God forbid.

IF he gets suspended? That's your argument? Really? Tru got busted for DUI. That's OK , I guess.

:wtf: - must be getting old. Peace all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think anyone here believes we're better off without him.
It's just the timing of the extension we're talking about, right?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the move. The Rams are buying low on Foles and Janoris. We'll see if it pays off but Janoris has shown top tier CB potential. If he gets his head out of his ass, I think he'll be a great CB. The Rams are betting on him to continue to mature as a player. If they bet right, they're getting a steal.

To compare situations, the Packers bought low on Jordy Nelson before he blew up and the Steelers bought low on Antonio Brown. Both moves panned out in a big way where they got Pro Bowl/All Pro caliber talents on very reasonable extensions near the end of their rookie deals. Had they waited another year, both teams would have been paying out the nose for those players. I support the Rams here. Many people forgot that we had Janoris shadow one of the league's best WRs in Dez Bryant and Janoris shut him down while also picking off a pass and taking into the house. His great game was overshadowed by miscommunication in the secondary near the end. If not for one blown coverage, he'd have likely held Dez to less than 30 yards while also taking a pass intended for Dez to the house.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really though. Not on defense. It's more about limiting touchdowns, and he's not great at that either.
He gave up 5 last year. Gaines gave up 1.

Benefit of the doubt though. This will be his second year in Williams' defense, so I expect him to tighten up considerably.
How many did Patrick Peterson give up and many thinks he is a top 5 corner

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, good point about the communication problems. We've all seen those. And he is left on an island more than any other CB on the team. Even when we're in zone, he's the lone CB playing straight man. And while I do give credence to the idea that being lined up on the other team's #1 is going to skew his stats, that doesn't mean he should get abused as much as he does. If we're talking about extending him and locking him up, wouldn't you like for him to be a top 10 CB? He's currently 50th.
QB's complete those passes on short plays where he is giving up cushion based on scheme, this year he will play on the line more with GW trusting his safeties more to be where they supposed to be.. when Jenkins press the receiver he actually is one of the best press corners out there

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've often wondered how it would be if Tru was on one side and Gaines on the other.
Those two are pretty stout. Not flashy or turnover machines, but pretty damn solid.
Yeah until Beckham came in and killed them. He did next to nothing when Jenkins was covering him

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Being a pro bowl alternate is kinda like kissing your sister. :LOL:

50th best CB?
Who in the league has more defensive touchdowns since he came into the league in 2012.. answer... NO1

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The social media issues. The weed issues. I just don't think he's smart off the field.

I don't know if he's a bad guy or not. I'm just honestly tired of the social media antics and the poor choices and gambling on the field. Sometimes it results in a good play. Other times, it results in him getting burned.
What trouble has he gotten into since he became a Ram. Sometimes you have to leave mistakes in the past. He was young did stupid things he still is young now, but he hasn't been arrested been busted for drugs nothing not even his baby momma problems.. the guy has been a model citizen compared to what people thought he was gonna be.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perhaps, who knows. I'd wait until I see a few games before I'd think about extending any CB. If they all play to their potential I think it would be cheaper to have EG and TJ with Joyner at slot then having JJ. The priority in my mind is keeping the DL, namely AD and RQ, intact. To do that we're gonna need big money. Right now JJ will cost more because he's had more Sportscenter type plays. I don't necessarily think you get more bang for the buck with him. It's more about keeping the secondary competent and cap friendly so we can keep the real strength of our defense in horns than it is anything else.
Robert Quinn already signed Ad is in the 2nd year of his rookie deal, all that money is already accounted for and the salary cap is only going to get bigger wit each year, money really isn't the problem especially since we don't have to worry about a 100 million dollar qb

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Robert Quinn already signed Ad is in the 2nd year of his rookie deal, all that money is already accounted for and the salary cap is only going to get bigger wit each year, money really isn't the problem especially since we don't have to worry about a 100 million dollar qb

Unless of course Foles has a great year. Then you do have to worry about paying for a QB. AD will have to be paid eventually.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't think anyone here believes we're better off without him.
It's just the timing of the extension we're talking about, right?

Yes, but people don't seem to see it that way. It's seems to be an all or nothing argument. I'd wait myself, and sign the better of the two between JJ and TJ.

MrMotes

Starter

The Rams think he's our #1 corner too, and signing him is a big priority, that's according to JT anyway...

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah, people are giving JJ way too much flack. Of course he gets burned a lot, who doesn't when you're pulling guys like Fitz consistently? He's still pretty damn good for who he draws and what he does. His off the field actions are completely superfluous until he gets into trouble for them, just being kind of a chore isn't exactly something worthy of being sent packing.