Rams and Janoris working on extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Yeah, good point about the communication problems. We've all seen those. And he is left on an island more than any other CB on the team. Even when we're in zone, he's the lone CB playing straight man. And while I do give credence to the idea that being lined up on the other team's #1 is going to skew his stats, that doesn't mean he should get abused as much as he does. If we're talking about extending him and locking him up, wouldn't you like for him to be a top 10 CB? He's currently 50th.
I'd certainly like to see him play better, but his issue, to me, is consistency. Not talent. I look at games like the Saints game last year where he completely shut down Jimmy Graham and see what he can do when he's focused. I also think he's been getting better at focusing... and better acquainted with the scheme and his fellow secondary guys.

His impact on the run game also should not be discounted.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'll also add that a good cornerback with a few years under his belt to get up to NFL speed and entering his second year in our defensive system appeals to me way more than a replacement guy who needs to learn how to play against savvy NFL wideouts and how to play Gregg Williams-style of corner.

ram007

Starter
I don't know how to feel about that.
Quarterbacks had a 114 QB Rating while throwing at him last year.
Compared to a 79 QB rating while throwing at Gaines.

You do realize you are not making fans on this forum (where it is all about fluffy 19-0?) with your straight talk?

I would wait on extending Janoris.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I saw a stat on PFF where (in 2013) JJ covered the no. 1 receiver about 40% of the time. Was one of the higher figures in the league, I don't think any corner is on the no.1 guy more than 50% of the time.

EJ doesn't cover the no. 1 often but I think what he does is just as valuable. Other teams no.2 and no. 3 receivers used to tear our defense a new one.

Anyway, I don't think the Rams are in the position of throwing JJ back. I'm guessing a five year deal, worth about 40 million, 15 or so million guaranteed. Still think he can be a poor man's Asante Samuel here.

MrMotes

Starter
Dude was a probowl alternate last year. He's legit. Rams coaches aren't stupid when it comes to defense...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude was a probowl alternate last year. He's legit. Rams coaches aren't stupid when it comes to defense...
Being a pro bowl alternate is kinda like kissing your sister. :LOL:

50th best CB?

Irish

Starter
The team is better with Gaines #1, Healthy Tru Jo and JJ #2, Joyner on the nickle, TJ and Barron cracking skulls.

The Rams will be covering Antonio Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald, Jordy Nelson, Alshon Jeffrey, AJ Green, Megatron, and VJax this season, and I want Gaines covering every single one of them. JJ would get victimized.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You do realize you are not making fans on this forum (where it is all about fluffy 19-0?) with your straight talk?

I would wait on extending Janoris.
People know me well enough to know that I'm the biggest Rams homer on the interwebz.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll also add that a good cornerback with a few years under his belt to get up to NFL speed and entering his second year in our defensive system appeals to me way more than a replacement guy who needs to learn how to play against savvy NFL wideouts and how to play Gregg Williams-style of corner.
Yeah. The devil you know....

Don't get the wrong idea though. I fully expect him to improve, and maybe even on an all-pro level.
That's a good enough reason to lock him up now, because waiting for him to do that could cost much more.

Then again, if he's peaked?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The on-field Jenkins is pretty good, it's the off-field Jenkins I worry about.

I am very conflicted with this news.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
He won't sign if he has to play in an open air STL stadium.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Meh. I'd wait until after the season. He needs to learn to stop gambling so often and be smarter about it. As much as scoring TDs is a good thing, giving up more TDs is even worse.

That being said, he has insane coverage ability and if he works on his mental game, I'd absolutely love to keep him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not a fan of extending him. At all. I don't like his off-the-field behavior, and I don't like how badly he fails on coverage a lot of the time.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Not a fan of extending him. At all. I don't like his off-the-field behavior, and I don't like how badly he fails on coverage a lot of the time.

You always struck me as being tolerant. Arguments can be made re his prowess (or lack thereof) on the field, but what off-field behavior makes him a bad guy - just curious.

Personally, I love the guy - sign him tomorrow.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Are we assuming we are offering him top dollar? Why not lock him up if you see him improving along with a team that has been together for a while. Do we want to be without him and have to pay a player that would otherwise back him up. JJ is a very good CB. Thus far, he has made some mistakes along with some huge plays. I say sign the man with maybe some added conduct provisions. His contract will not likely be heavy in guarantees and if he regresses or maintains his propensity to make bad gambles, you cut him after this year.

JJ has his serious difficulties against bigger receivers but all in all, the kid has pretty amazing talent and is someone that could be very hard to replace. I also agree that his run defense is under rated and taken for granted when it is anything but for most #1 CBs.

Like CGI - I'm a fan of his play - I'm not a fan of how I view him off the field.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't believe that extending him should be a priority right now.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I'm on the fence with this he has shown the ability to score on defense which is huge.But he's also given up some big plays,was it miscommunication or is he getting burned.I would expect for him to play alot better this year with practically the whole defence coming back and in the same system for the 2nd straight year.So I would wait a few games in to see if he has learned or will he continue to be a feast or famine type cornerback.