QB Mike Glennon Is Our Best Option

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Mackeyser liking Barron:
Because it's Tampa. They just traded us Mark Barron... who really is a 1st round talent if used properly as we will see next year... for a 4th and 6th.

I disagree with you about Barron being a 1st round talent. 10-20 years ago maybe but not in today's NFL. Also, TB is about to get a new OC and I doubt he'll be as stupid as that (assuming that other bright football minds other than jrry see the same things in Glennon) but you never know.

As for getting him fro a 5th rounder, I'm all for it. I put zero stock in 5th round picks anyway. Especially now that we don't have many not fit for the NFL players on our roster.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The problem with Glennon is he's another QB who is going to be a career backup at best. I'm not a crazy arm strength guy with QBs, so I don't hold that against him and think he has enough. But he is a slow decision maker with accuracy issues, and I don't think he's ever going to prove himself to be starter material.

I'd be ok with him as a backup on the roster but the Rams wouldn't need to give up a pick for some of the others. Hill is probably better than him, sad as that is to say.

Disagree. Accuracy issues...I can see that. He's not consistent...but he's also young and I don't think he's inaccurate like Locker or Manuel. So it's something that might be able to be developed.

But I disagree strongly that he's a slow decision maker.

And I think he's more than a career backup. I don't think he's a career backup right now. IMO, he's already reached spot starter territory and I think he has potential to do more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree with you about Barron being a 1st round talent. 10-20 years ago maybe but not in today's NFL. Also, TB is about to get a new OC and I doubt he'll be as stupid as that (assuming that other bright football minds other than jrry see the same things in Glennon) but you never know.

As for getting him fro a 5th rounder, I'm all for it. I put zero stock in 5th round picks anyway. Especially now that we don't have many not fit for the NFL players on our roster.

And they have the #1 pick and a veteran QB as the #2. I have a hard time believing they'll pass on a pick for their 3rd string QB.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with late breaking news:
Glennon was not handed the TB job this year. McCown got hurt. If it was a real competition, Glennon would have won the job. He outplayed McCown.

Already have McCown and they're getting offered a draft pick for a player that won't start for them. I guess I'm hoping they would. I think it's likely they would, though. No reason to hold onto Glennon to be a 3rd string QB.
I haven't seen much of Glennon but I have seen a lot of McCown and I haven't liked what I've seen. Even when we're just talking about being a backup. If they like McCown better then while I respect your evaluations about players I'd be very leery about this.

Is this in lieu of drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would use a fifth to bring Glennon in as a backup. He is young and still has potential. He may be the only QB of his group that the book is still not completely out on.

I would even bring him in along with drafting a QB or getting Cutler. Restock the cupboard and be prepared to move on from Sam.

The Rams could fill a need in FA along with a trade for Glennon and it could really get the freedom to draft BPA or trade up for Winston.

Consider me in the camp that has zero Hope that Bradford has a future in St. Louis, maybe not in the NFL at all. The oft injured QB is a hard hit from being done. His pocket presence doesn't bode well for avoiding it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't seen much of Glennon but I have seen a lot of McCown and I haven't liked what I've seen. Even when we're just talking about being a backup. If they like McCown better then while I respect your evaluations about players I'd be very leery about this.

Is this in lieu of drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Watching them play, McCown had no business starting. McCown was their guy though. But that's why I watched all the games closely...to understand why that happened and see if the kid is worth it. I came away believing he is. He passed the eye test for me and the production is there.

Yes, this is likely in lieu of drafting a QB in those rounds. I don't like the options we have. And the couple guys I would be willing to take aren't ready to play next year.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Urkel_reactions.gif

fearsomefour

Legend
I think McCown played over Glennon based on money mostly....and be a Smith guy from Chicago.
I don't see a real difference between Hill and Glennon. Based on experience I personally would give the nod to Hill.
However based on age if the money is even in the same ball park I would go with they young vet in Glennon.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with dribs and drabs of new angles:
And they have the #1 pick and a veteran QB as the #2. I have a hard time believing they'll pass on a pick for their 3rd string QB.
Let me see if I understand this correctly. You want to use a 5th round pick to get a 3rd string QB to be our backup and to compete against SB, Hill/Davis for his place in the pecking order. That's our backup plan if Sam gets injured again?

If it's not our primary backup plan then we'll probably be drafting a QB fairly high in the draft. I'm not sure that's a very good way to use our scarce resources for a, hopefully, 3rd string QB. Because I would feel even less comfortable with Glennon as I did with Hill as our backup plan.

Take him if he floats free or at max for a 7th rounder. A 7th rounder only if we have a compensatory 7th rounder. I think the arm strength will keep him from ever becoming the answer anywhere and I want someone to groom who at least has all the tools. That's my take on this.

On the other hand, maybe there aren't any better looking QB prospects worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick and at least you have a plan to upgrade our backups which, with Sam's history, might be vital to have a viable plan. Still, definitely second choice for me.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me see if I understand this correctly. You want to use a 5th round pick to get a 3rd string QB to be our backup and to compete against SB, Hill/Davis for his place in the pecking order. That's our backup plan if Sam gets injured again?

Yep.

Take him if he floats free or at max for a 7th rounder. A 7th rounder only if we have a compensatory 7th rounder. I think the arm strength will keep him from ever becoming the answer anywhere and I want someone to groom who at least has all the tools. That's my take on this.

I don't see how. It's not like he's weak armed. He can make the deep throws:
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000305601/Mike-Glennon-flea-flicker-touchdown

58 yards in the air

And he can hit the throws to the sideline with enough zip. He just doesn't have a cannon. But neither do quite a few of the top 10 QBs.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Honestly, the deep ball isn't so much the issue with him. He has the arm to hit the deep ball...just needs to improve his mechanics to be more consistent with his placement. The issue more would be some of the deep outs and comebacks that we ran with Sam that we didn't really see this year due to our limitations at QB. We'd likely have to do the same with Glennon.

His arm isn't weak...but it's not strong either. Better than Hill's and Davis's though.
Bradford's deep ball his first 2 years in the league was also hit and miss. Mostly miss. He improved on it greatly his 3rd yr.
As long as Glennon can think fast and make good decisions, he could still improve the long ball.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with a short memory:
I don't see how. It's not like he's weak armed. He can make the deep throws
"The negatives for Glennon are that he doesn't have an outstanding arm. It's adequate but some of the more difficult throws get a bit more air on them than you'd like."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"The negatives for Glennon are that he doesn't have an outstanding arm. It's adequate but some of the more difficult throws get a bit more air on them than you'd like."

Yep. Like I said, it's adequate but not outstanding.

Some of the more difficult throws to the sideline such as the intermediate/deep out and comeback get more air on them than you'd like. Exactly. Same thing is true of Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees. It just means you have to be more precise with your timing and placement.

I'm trying to be objective and honest with the strengths and weaknesses. But if he had a weak arm, trust me, I'd tell you. His arm is good enough.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I thought Glennon did great his rookie season. imho, TB messed up by starting McCown, they killed Glennons vibe!

Alan

Legend
jrry32 qualifying it:
Yep. Like I said, it's adequate but not outstanding.
I lobbied, successfully :LOL:, for the Rams to wait until the late rounds to draft a QB last year. I made a mistake then and you're telling me to do the same thing again? Like I said, as a plan C, maybe.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I lobbied, successfully :LOL:, for the Rams to wait until the late rounds to draft a QB last year. I made a mistake then and you're telling me to do the same thing again? Like I said, as a plan C, maybe.

No. I'm telling you not to make that mistake. I'm telling you to acquire a young QB that was a third round pick a couple years ago, has 29 TDs to 15 Ints in 18 starts, and is available for a reasonable price despite the current QB class being VERY weak.

The team that drafted him had their GM and HC fired. The new guys moved on which was a mistake imo. They went with their guy. Because of that, we're going to get him at a lower value than he's worth. Buy low, sell high, my friend.

I've seen many bad QBs and if I believed they couldn't play, I've never hesitated to point that out. Think of Austin Davis. As soon as I felt he wasn't worth it, I said it. A lot of people thought I was premature with it. They felt I didn't give him enough time to show what he's capable of. Trust me, Alan, if I didn't think he could play based on the film I saw...I wouldn't advocate for him.

Now, if you disagree, you're certainly entitled to that opinion. But if you do disagree and haven't watched a good bit of him, if you can, check out some of his games. New Orleans and Pittsburgh were his two best games this year. Minnesota and Cleveland were his two worst. It'll give you a fair look into him at his best and worst if you don't want to see all the games.

The kid isn't perfect. He had an up and down year. The Cleveland game was especially bad in the first half. He missed some big time throws and one resulted in an INT when it could have been a TD. He threw another INT on a terrible ball in the red-zone. But he also came back in the second half and played pretty decently.

But in every game you watch, you see there are tools to work with and you see vitals skills to playing the position that he has.

This is our young QB. But instead of drafting one, we're trading for one that didn't get a fair shake. One that has shown he can play a bit at the NFL level.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I will preface this by saying that I'm assuming that Winston, Mariota, and Cutler are not realistic options.

After them, I think Mike Glennon is our best option as the QB to put BEHIND Bradford. This is a kid that just turned 25 and at the end of his second season, he has 29 TDs to 15 Ints in just over a season worth of games/attempts. Young QBs tend to get better. Especially ones that played under two different HCs and under two different systems in their two years. I don't know why the Bucs started Josh McCown this year but it was a colossal mistake. They should have stuck with Glennon for the season and saw what he could do.

I went back and reviewed all of Glennon's starts this year on NFL Rewind and I don't understand what they were thinking. He's not a perfect QB. I'm not saying that I think he has elite potential. And to be entirely honest, I wasn't overly high on him as a prospect.

That all said, he showed more than enough this year and last year for me to believe that he has a future in the NFL. As it stands now, I think Glennon offers an extremely similar skill-set to that of Nick Foles. I think his floor in this league is carving out a year as a Kyle Orton type player...great backup/decent enough spot starter. But I do think he has the upside to be a starting caliber QB...a player similar to what Carson Palmer was this year in Arizona.

I'll tell you this, Glennon is a QB who would have no issues finding Tavon over the middle of the field. At 6'7" 230, he's able to see over the OL/DL without any issue and would actually be taller than all of our starting OLs.

On top of his height, Glennon has functional mobility in the pocket with good instincts and effective movement. He helps out his OTs by either delivering the ball at the top of his drop or climbing in the pocket to allow them to push the rush past him. Because of his size, he's confident climbing the ladder and moving within the pocket to create space and buy time. Glennon also shows the ability to anticipate routes and throw to spots rather than his WRs. His timing on passes is good for a young QB and he generally is a sound decision maker. He also has a quick release for such a tall passer and has a good understanding of touch.

The negatives for Glennon are that he doesn't have an outstanding arm. It's adequate but some of the more difficult throws get a bit more air on them than you'd like. Glennon also isn't very mobile. He's able to buy time in the pocket with his feet, instincts, and technical skills but he won't win many foot races and is no threat to run...although he does have enough mobility to improvise outside the pocket. On top of all this, his deep ball is inconsistent from game to game, he locks onto WRs at times, and his footwork needs cleaning up. His drops are a tad sloppy and methodical. He also can get sloppy with his feet in the pocket.

Still, watching this kid play, it left with a lot of disappointment in Lovie Smith...a coach I respect. I've seen QBs that just can't hang in the NFL. Mike Glennon is not one of those guys. I see NFL skills in his game and I see starter potential. He has some of the most important qualities for the position and I think that Tampa Bay did themselves a disservice not seeing what he could offer.

But Tampa Bay has the #1 pick and is likely going to draft a QB. If they do that, they have no reason to keep Glennon. I think Glennon would definitely be worth trading a 5th for. He'd give us valuable depth behind Bradford and he'd give us a guy who actually has potential if Bradford goes down. Most of all, he's a good scheme fit for our offense and a kid who still has upside that, imo, was mistreated by a new regime because he wasn't their guy. That's what got us Joe Barksdale and I'm hoping it'll be what gets us Glennon because he's our best option behind Bradford for the 2015 season(assuming what I said in the first sentence is true).

There are some Tampa Bay Rams fans on here that might disagree with my observations. And you guys are absolutely entitled to that. But I promise you this, I did take the time to watch him very closely.

I like it @jrry32.

I think he'd play well with our taller receivers (Quick, Britt, Cook). (Any QB that get get the ball across the LOS can play with Bailey.) I think he'd struggle to get the ball to TA though as his accuracy isn't pin-point.

I think his footwork isn't bad but he does have a bit of a hippity-hop to him that looks to throw him off balance coming out of his 3/5/7 drop. That said, he steps up well and drives the ball well. I think he would be good if we have a solid interior line that would allow him to step up.

I'd have to see him play in a dirty pocket, under duress to give a real assessment, but I like his ability to slide laterally.

I also think he has a lot of room on his frame to put on strength.

I think given what we have on our roster (a lot of ?'s) it would be a phenomenally good acquisition for us, even if it costs a 3rd.

One can hope!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like it @jrry32.

I think he'd play well with our taller receivers (Quick, Britt, Cook). (Any QB that get get the ball across the LOS can play with Bailey.) I think he'd struggle to get the ball to TA though as his accuracy isn't pin-point.

I think he'd do well with Tavon because those drag routes that Davis and Hill struggled to get him the ball on would be in play due to his height.

But I agree with the rest of what you said. Great post!

On his footwork, it looks fine coming out of his drops but the longer he holds it, the more likely it is that he'll get sloppy. He's just so long and gangly...I think that hurts him to a degree with his feet. But it's fixable.