Peyton Manning to the Rams in 2016?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How about sign him as an offensive passing game assistant and if things don't look good at QB cut Keenum and move Payton to QB?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it would be best for Manning if he retired. I love the guy. Love his game. Loved watching him. But he's not the same QB anymore. And I wouldn't pay him $10 million a year if I were the Rams. That money could go elsewhere. He'd have to accept a cheap deal. And I'd still take a first round QB.

diggity

Rookie
Too many O-line questions for Manning. Not to mention the lack of a top WR(s) & TE.
I don't think the RAMS have a terrible O-line, but the QB has got to have more mobility than Manning at this point.
GO RAMS!!!!

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Yeah, I get that logic but it postpones getting the QB of the future by a year or two. I'd rather see the Rams either signing a veteran QB or letting Mannion get a good shot at the starting position. I'm guessing that the comments in the OP are correct though, that Kroenke will attempt to get a big-name signing to get butts in the seats.

I agree in that I think they will try to make a move to put butts in the seats. I'm hoping it's to trade up to snag Wentz or Goff. I could also see them trying to work out a deal to get Brees. Either way I'll be excited. We are a QB away from being a very good football team.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
As the Broncos are my second favorite team I'm a big fan of Manning. That said if you watched him play this year it's pretty evident he's at the tail end and although he's better than Foles doesn't really offer much to get excited about. Time to draft our future and maybe get a decent FA pickup for 2016

RamBill

Legend
Examining best way to improve Rams' quarterback situation
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...est-way-to-improve-rams-quarterback-situation

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The offseason is here for the Los Angeles Rams and now that we know where they'll be playing their home games for the long term, things have settled down enough to spend our weekends answering a few of your Twitter questions.

As always, you can find me on Twitter @nwagoner and fire away with any Rams-related questions you might have. Please use hashtag #RamsMail so I can see them.

On to your questions.

Mike Mulia @MikeMulia1
@nwagoner What do you think is the best/most realistic way the Rams can "fix" their QB situation? The draft, free agency, trade? #RamsMail

@nwagoner: You phrased this question well, Mike. Because if we are looking at it realistically, the best way to fix the quarterback situation isn't necessarily going to guarantee improvement. Looking at the draft, there are some intriguing prospects such as Cal's Jared Goff, Memphis' Paxton Lynch and North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, but the early indication is that none of them are guaranteed to come in and have success in Year 1. And that's even assuming the Rams would have the chance to draft one of them with their No. 15 overall pick. The trade market probably won't offer much since teams are never in a mood to trade good quarterbacks. Which leaves us with free agency, the area the Rams might have to explore the deepest to try to find a solution. The problem, again, is that if a team has a good quarterback, it probably isn't going to let him leave. Some of the names that could hit the market include Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brock Osweiler, Matt Cassel, Kirk Cousins, Chase Daniel and Sam Bradford. Of that group, it's unlikely Fitzpatrick, Osweiler, Cousins or Bradford will get the chance to explore the market, though it's possible one or two could shake loose. It's also possible players such as Robert Griffin III and/or Johnny Manziel could become available, and it's fair to expect the Rams to take a long look at them if they do.

The other part of the equation for the Rams is that they have three quarterbacks on the roster in Case Keenum (who will likely be retained as a restricted free agent), Nick Foles and Sean Mannion. Logic says Foles is the one that would have to go to make room for a new addition but to do that, the Rams have to be certain they have an upgrade. There's no obvious solution here unless the Rams want to make a bold move via trade and even then, it would be a roll of the dice. It wouldn't surprise if Keenum ends up as the starter again when all is said and done.

Blaine Grisak @bxgrisak1993
@nwagoner do you think the Rams would have interest in a QB at 15 if Goff or Lynch were available?

@nwagoner: We'll go ahead and just make this the quarterback mailbag for this week. It's too early to have a read on who they might or might not covet, but there have been indications from the team that they'll explore any and all options to improve their short- and long-term situation at the position. That would presumably include taking a quarterback with the 15th pick. As I mentioned above, depending on who you talk to, it doesn't seem like there's a signal-caller in this draft who can come in and star right away. That also doesn't mean a guy such as Goff, Lynch or Wentz wouldn't be an improvement over what the Rams currently have. That's something they'd have to weigh in the evaluation because, let's be honest, if those guys were legitimate franchise quarterbacks they'd be gone before No. 15. That doesn't mean they can't become one, just that it's unusual (though not impossible) for that type of guy to go at that point. There's a long way to go before the draft so we'll get a better idea of how the league views this crop of quarterbacks in the coming months.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
It's also possible players such as Robert Griffin III and/or Johnny Manziel could become available, and it's fair to expect the Rams to take a long look at them if they do.

No! No! Hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Totally agree. I just figured I had to post it. I wouldn't mind seeing Manning work with Mannion though. I honestly think Mannion is that type of QB.

Alright - calm down everybody. I am not saying Mannion has Manning's talent. But he is a very smart dude, has the size and decent arm talent. With that combination, and mentoring by Peyton - who knows what he can do. Just a thought.
Do you think Manning would retire and come to the Rams as a QB Coach!?!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Totally agree. I just figured I had to post it. I wouldn't mind seeing Manning work with Mannion though. I honestly think Mannion is that type of QB.

Alright - calm down everybody. I am not saying Mannion has Manning's talent. But he is a very smart dude, has the size and decent arm talent. With that combination, and mentoring by Peyton - who knows what he can do. Just a thought.
I sure wold think being mentored by Manning is a lot more valuable than Weinke.

I don't know if him playing for the Rams is a great idea, I think I'd rather see him retire with class.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Fisher loves himself some Manning.

bilde.jpg

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Peyton Manning to the Rams in 2016?

Wouldn't this be like trying to fix a leaky pipe with bubble gum? may work for a while but when it fails you get soaked... Rams need a lot of things but a 39 year old QB is probably not one of them. Hell with the Rams O-Lines we have seen lately he wouldn't last two games. o_O

RamBill

Legend
Report: Rams monitoring Peyton Manning retirement decision

Posted by Josh Alper on February 3, 2016, 10:51 AM EST

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...onitoring-peyton-manning-retirement-decision/

during the AFC Championship game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on January 24, 2016 in Denver, Colorado. The Broncos defeated the Patriots 20-18.
Getty Images
Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning hasn’t made any public pronouncements about whether he’ll continue playing in 2016, although there have been plenty of reports and hints that he will be retiring after Super Bowl 50.

If he goes the other way, he’s under contract to the Broncos for one more season although his $21.5 million cap number and $19 million salary would be obstacles to his return. The Rams might be another option in the event Manning decides on another rodeo.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports the Rams have had internal discussions about pursuing Manning if he’s available this offseason. Bringing in one of the NFL’s all-time greats would be a bigger draw for a first season in Los Angeles than the Case Keenum/Nick Foles duo that’s currently atop the depth chart and we already know that Rams coach Jeff Fisher is a Manning fan.

Any serious discussions about bringing Manning to L.A. would have to wait until he says he’s going to play in 2016, something that seems unlikely given everything we’ve seen and heard over the course of this season.

A55VA6

Legend
I like Manning and think he's one of the best of all time, but he's 39 years old - soon to be 40. I just don't see him playing in LA for a year.