Peyton Manning to the Rams in 2016?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't think it's going to happen... But I was thinking about it, and I would be okay with it, just because I think he could teach a lot of our younger players as well as our defense.. Remember how Britt came in and suddenly Quick had some swagger to his game? I think Manning could do something similar, but for the entire team.

However I think his age is showing and I'd rather see some young blood coming up. I think we know what we have in Foles and Keenum, I would have liked to see more of Mannion though, because I don't think we really know yet.

I'm not really excited about any of the QB's in this draft class, I think the next two years we'll see better guys come out... I would hate to reach for one now and then miss on one later.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. I wouldn't call it that. But my Goff evaluation doesn't come from stats. It's based on what I see on the field. That implicitly considers the offense.

As for him not being Mannion good, well...you know my stance on that. ;)
Yes I do and I don't expect you to change that opinion. You are probably right anyway. We no doubt both hope you are wrong as Mannion is on our team and Goff is unlikely to be. So therefore Mannion is better.

Would you agree that Goff was in a much more passer friendly offense than what Mannion was in? Maybe I am seeing this whole thing through homer eyes but Mannion threw a fair amount largely because OSU couldn't run the ball. Riley likes to run the ball and isn't known for having great QB play. But that O-line was just plain bad and what talent they had was injured pretty much his entire career at OSU. For Mannion to put up the numbers he did in that offense means quite a bit IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes I do and I don't expect you to change that opinion. You are probably right anyway. We no doubt both hope you are wrong as Mannion is on our team and Goff is unlikely to be. So therefore Mannion is better.

Would you agree that Goff was in a much more passer friendly offense than what Mannion was in? Maybe I am seeing this whole thing through homer eyes but Mannion threw a fair amount largely because OSU couldn't run the ball. Riley likes to run the ball and isn't known for having great QB play. But that O-line was just plain bad and what talent they had was injured pretty much his entire career at OSU. For Mannion to put up the numbers he did in that offense means quite a bit IMO.

Yes.

pirate87

UDFA
Name
Charlie
I've watched every game Manning has played so I figure I will chime in here. Firstly, I think he will retire but I also think Houston and LA would be silly to not pursue him for 1-2 more years.

Manning has had health issues but his decline actually started when the Rams beat the Broncos last season. PM and Fox argued on the sideline during that game and with PM basically in charge of the offense they threw the ball 50 times and run it 8 with injuries occurring to Sanders and Julius Thomas. Elway said enough was enough and the Broncos became a run first team and Manning never quite played that well from then on and the rest is history with a Superbowl ending.

This year he did his best to run Kubiak's offense but after losing their top two OT's the Broncos offense simply never got going. Their LT in the Superbowl was signed off the couch and the RT will likely not make the roster next year after allowing nearly 30 sacks. The Broncos in the SB allowed the highest % of sacks per drop back in SB history. The passing game took a big back seat out of necessity and the D won PM another ring.

In saying all that, I think he can still be a top 15 QB in the league if he can run his own offense from the LOS and with a decent OL. As another poster mentioned, he played quite well vs Pittsburgh and even against NE until the OL started falling apart. Even in the Superbowl he started to get something going in the 2nd half and then the OL collapsed. He would have an instant impact on any team he signs with due to his work ethic and the way he raises the focus of his teammates.

All indications are that he will retire but Fisher and Co would be silly to not be on the phone to him over the next few days.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've watched every game Manning has played so I figure I will chime in here. Firstly, I think he will retire but I also think Houston and LA would be silly to not pursue him for 1-2 more years.

Manning has had health issues but his decline actually started when the Rams beat the Broncos last season. PM and Fox argued on the sideline during that game and with PM basically in charge of the offense they threw the ball 50 times and run it 8 with injuries occurring to Sanders and Julius Thomas. Elway said enough was enough and the Broncos became a run first team and Manning never quite played that well from then on and the rest is history with a Superbowl ending.

This year he did his best to run Kubiak's offense but after losing their top two OT's the Broncos offense simply never got going. Their LT in the Superbowl was signed off the couch and the RT will likely not make the roster next year after allowing nearly 30 sacks. The Broncos in the SB allowed the highest % of sacks per drop back in SB history. The passing game took a big back seat out of necessity and the D won PM another ring.

In saying all that, I think he can still be a top 15 QB in the league if he can run his own offense from the LOS and with a decent OL. As another poster mentioned, he played quite well vs Pittsburgh and even against NE until the OL started falling apart. Even in the Superbowl he started to get something going in the 2nd half and then the OL collapsed. He would have an instant impact on any team he signs with due to his work ethic and the way he raises the focus of his teammates.

All indications are that he will retire but Fisher and Co would be silly to not be on the phone to him over the next few days.

Manning doesn't have anything left in his arm. He needs to call it quits. Go out on top.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Will all Ram players get free Budweiser and Papa Johns?

diggity

Rookie
Manning is done.
If he doesn't retire after winning this Championship...seeing clearly that he is really not even close to what he used to be, he truly has been hit in the head one too many times!
GO RAMS!!!!!

jap

Legend
We can sign him so he can perform the Vulcan Mind Touch for all our QB's. Given the size of his cranium, it may take several hours to download all that information.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/11/magic-johnson-recruits-peyton-manning-to-the-rams/

Magic Johnson recruits Peyton Manning to the Rams
Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2016

The Rams reportedly are interested in adding quarterback Peyton Manning. Former Lakers star Magic Johnson clearly is interested in the Rams adding Peyton Manning.

Peyton and Magic appeared Wednesday on The Tonight Show, and Magic made a public pitch to get Peyton to L.A.

“I tried to talk somebody out of retirement and come to the Rams,” Johnson told Jimmy Fallon, while pointing over his shoulder to Manning. “I said, ‘Man, if you play again, come to the Rams.’ I was working on him backstage. I will even chip in some money.”

Manning sat quietly, laughing through it all as the rest of his face assumed the shade usually reserved for the middle of his forehead after taking off his helmet.

“Look, look, look,” Magic said. “He’s turning a few colors over here.”

“I’m getting embarrassed,” Peyton said.

“I want to cheer for him if he don’t retire as a Ram,” Johnson later said. “I got my recruiting hat on right now.”

No one knows what Peyton Manning will do in 2016, but we’ve all known for years that Peyton very much likes to be fully in control of every situation. And it’s hard to imagine Peyton walked into last night’s situation without being fully aware that Magic would bring up the subject on the air. It’s also hard to imagine that Peyton wouldn’t have done everything in his power to persuade Magic not to bring it up, if Peyton didn’t want to be put on the spot.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why does Magic hate the Rams to want a toasty quarterback to join them?

VFerragamo

Cagey Veteran
"So you're saying there's a chance..."

If body language could talk I'd say he's a definite maybe...

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Just retire already so this bullshit stops. His arm has NOTHING to offer this team. It's done.

VFerragamo

Cagey Veteran
Just retire already so this bullcrap stops. His arm has NOTHING to offer this team. It's done.

Nothing to offer except winning a superbowl when paired with a dominant Defense and ground game.

Don't get me wrong - his arm is awful these days but he's got the game management skills to turn those 4Q losses into Ws overnight. No doubt in my mind we're a playoff team w him under center this past season.

I'd bring him in to groom Mannion and our 1st round pick for two seasons and call it a day..

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I say let the rumors continue , the Rams are getting a lot of free publicity out of this

bluecoconuts

Legend
Oh Magic.... He really needs to focus on the Dodgers, but if he wants to pump out the Rams, I'm all for it.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Didn't Manning have 10 TDs and 17 ints at one point...That's no longer a guy that I rink is a great move...Unlike some guys here, I don't think his leadership and mentoring help with the QBs is a $ 20+ valuable investment.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Didn't Manning have 10 TDs and 17 ints at one point...That's no longer a guy that I rink is a great move...Unlike some guys here, I don't think his leadership and mentoring help with the QBs is a $ 20+ valuable investment.

Yup he did have those numbers.

I saw him play a little this year and IMO there is nothing left in the tank. I don't think Magic saw and Broncos games this year LOL.