Peyton Manning to the Rams in 2016?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I am going to interject another reason for "No" that I have not seen mentioned yet, but it goes along with his age. ... Manning is only good in HIS system. And for him to come in and teach all these guys who have had a hard enough time learning the offense they run over the past 3-4 yrs is IMPOSSIBLE to pull off with the ONE year he might have left in him. It just makes NO sense whatsoever ... now ... as a coach?? Maybe, but i think he takes a respite.

Shawnbb158

Starter
I would be perfectly fine with Carson wentz sitting behind Peyton and learning from him for a year. Coming from a small college like that to the nfl I could see no better senario :) oh and yes we can sit him a year even after trading up to #4 or #6 to get him!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
He's very smart. He's a coach's son. He's a pocket passer that played out of a pro set his entire career. While playing out of a pro set rather than a high flying spread, he set Pac 12 passing records. He had Cooks and Wheaton for a couple years but virtually no one else and an O-line that was worse than bad. He can make virtually every throw and has a strong enough arm to rifle it in close (something I don't see in Goff BTW). He has prototypical size and strength. He has a bit of a wind-up on longer throws and his footwork gets a little labored at times.

Part of it I will admit is me being a homer and wanting to see the Oregon State boy lead our Rams. But if I didn't see some real upside with the kid, I wouldn't in a second want him under center. I think he can be a real good QB. Of course, he could end up being a big bodied journeyman ala Clemens or Anderson - to associate him with two other Oregon boys.

Love the "smart" part. Pro style's a plus. Thewind up, imo, is way less critical than deciding to pull the trigger. I like that in CK, hated the lack thereof in NF. Footwork can be learned, unless he gets flustered in the pocket.
Size a big plus in today's NFL

Just wanted some 'eyes on' analyis - thanks. Watched every game Hundley played, and never felt like he was 'smart', just very gifted physically. GB's been pretty good picking QBs- so we'll see. UCLA's Rosen's for real though. Hope the Rams grab him in 2017 (if he declares).
Really want to see Mannion in pre-season. Seems like the forgotten guy in all these discussions.

Last edited:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I would do this, IF we still made landing top QB as priority #1. Add 1-2 pass catchers through both FA & draft. And OC!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He can make virtually every throw and has a strong enough arm to rifle it in close (something I don't see in Goff BTW).

Based on what I saw of both in college, I think Goff has a stronger arm than Mannion. For example:
View: https://zippy.gfycat.com/UnequaledGlamorousBear.webm

28 yards in the air with zip to his WR.
View: https://fat.gfycat.com/SilentHarmfulArchaeocete.webm

55 yards in the air with zip to his WR.

Goff doesn't have Wentz's arm but he still has a quality arm.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Totally agree. I just figured I had to post it. I wouldn't mind seeing Manning work with Mannion though. I honestly think Mannion is that type of QB.

Alright - calm down everybody. I am not saying Mannion has Manning's talent. But he is a very smart dude, has the size and decent arm talent. With that combination, and mentoring by Peyton - who knows what he can do. Just a thought.

I see. So Stu, you think that if Mannning managed Mannion, Mannion's many maladies may be muted by Manning's mastery at the position?

RamBill

Legend
Rams: Get used to the quarterback rumors
Posted on February 4, 2016 by Vincent Bonsignore

http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2016/02/04/rams-get-used-to-the-quarterback-rumors/

It’s no secret the Los Angeles Rams aren’t comfortable with their short or long-range quarterback options. Which means much of their focus between now and training camp will be spent on addressing the position.

And that means all options will be taken into consideration.

A little bit of advice, then: Expect the Rams to be mentioned with every available quarterback over the next few months.

Because to some extent, they will be.

Or, as a high-ranking league official advised: “If I’m the Rams, every quarterback option is on the table.”

And yes, that might even mean taking a hard look at Peyton Manning, who the Rams have reportedly already had internal discussions about.

Manning in under contract with the Denver Broncos for next season, but most observers think it’s a long shot he returns to the Mile High City.

The Rams, obviously, are in need of a dependable starter, even on a short-term basis.

At first glance, it sounds like a long shot. And depending how Super Bowl 50 turns out, Manning might just ride off into the sunset.

But if he does decide to play one more year, it makes sense the Rams would be interested in him and he’d be interested in them.

The Rams are close to being postseason ready, with the quarterback spot the one glaring position holding them back.

We already know Nick Foles and Case Keenum will go to training camp competing for the job, but there is just as good a chance neither is even on the roster come training camp.

Manning fits pretty nicely into an otherwise solid roster, and the Rams could use him as a solid stop gap while also drafting and developing the future face of the franchise.

From Manning’s perspective, with the Rams offering a playoff ready defense, a dynamic young running back in Todd Gurley to lean on and a young and improved offensive line to work behind, it might not be a bad team to latch onto for a year or two.

And let’s face it, it doesn’t hurt his brand to spend the last chapter of his career in Hollywood and the second-biggest market in the country.

That doesn’t mean it will happen. But it’s not as crazy as it seems.

And with the Rams focused intently on addressing their short and long-range quarterback options, Manning is one of many possibilities they’ll consider.

And be mentioned in conjunction with.

So get used to it.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
First off let me say, "It's not going to happen."

Second thought. For having such an off year, Peyton Manning won a bunch of games. He was 7-0 by the time he got benched for plantar fasciitis and inferior QB play. ( I know Orange Crush defense are credited with all those wins) Then Peyton comes in to win the final game of the season against the Chargers. Then Peyton is behind center for two playoff wins. What's so terrible about that? I can only wish crap like that happens to our beloved Rams.

What has not been factored into Manning's terrible year are his bungling, heavy handed receivers. Here is a video of the 7 drops in the Bronco Pittsburgh playoff game. For those of you who still wince over Jared Cooks drops, who are receiving psychiatric care, I warn you this is painful watching. Unless you are Snead and Fisher. In that case you have in house discussions about bringing Peyton in to save your jobs. To teach young QB's. To collaborate with whatever offensive coordinator the Rams hire or ride the wire with. To inspire a perennial losing, Rams roster on what it takes to win in the Big Boy NFL.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbdQmLGNDsc

Wow they disabled the video for play on Rams on Demand. Just click that link below the video to view on YouTube. Sorry about the inconvenience guys.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What has not been factored into Manning's terrible year are his bungling, heavy handed receivers. Here is a video of the 7 drops in the Bronco Pittsburgh playoff game. For those of you who still wince over Jared Cooks drops, I warn you this is painful watching.

Yeah his receivers haven't been all that great and they're in the Super Bowl because of that defense. Another thing that is subpar that nobody is talking about is the Broncos OL. They played well enough to get there, granted, but I don't think they're good enough to beat Carolina's front seven even with Manning making quick decisions to get that ball out.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just how much salary is Mr. Manning going to command? So much that we lose our starting DBs? IMO, Peyton should retire. Imagine being so rich that you never spend all your money, your family is set for generations and you take a serious hit in the neck and spend the rest of your days in a wheelchair.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see. So Stu, you think that if Mannning managed Mannion, Mannion's many maladies may be muted by Manning's mastery at the position?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I think what YOU are saying is that Sean shows to be shy of shedding first round shunning so shouldn't be considered for showing how he could shine.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Sign him for one year then promote him to OC next year , :whistle:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Based on what I saw of both in college, I think Goff has a stronger arm than Mannion. For example:
View: https://zippy.gfycat.com/UnequaledGlamorousBear.webm

28 yards in the air with zip to his WR.
View: https://fat.gfycat.com/SilentHarmfulArchaeocete.webm

55 yards in the air with zip to his WR.

Goff doesn't have Wentz's arm but he still has a quality arm.
You're right - that receiver went up and got that first one that almost zipped over his head. :fighting: The second one definitely showed some air time. Given a lot of step up and launch, most QBs can throw that far.

Can you show some where he had a small window in the red zone and had to rifle it in? Maybe more than one? I'm not saying Goff is not good. I'm saying I don't see selling the farm good and I also don't really see better than Mannion good. You do have to consider the offense don't you? Is Riley known for running a QB friendly offense?

I totally respect the time you put into researching and grading QBs. I am just not sure Goff is what you think he is. He seems like a Matt Moore type to me. I could be totally off though.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I think what YOU are saying is that Sean shows to be shy of shedding first round shunning so shouldn't be considered for showing how he could shine.

:rolllaugh:I think either way, Sean could be selling seashells down by the seashore if this gig doesn't work out. :sneaky:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're right - that receiver went up and got that first one that almost zipped over his head. :fighting: The second one definitely showed some air time. Given a lot of step up and launch, most QBs can throw that far.

Can you show some where he had a small window in the red zone and had to rifle it in? Maybe more than one? I'm not saying Goff is not good. I'm saying I don't see selling the farm good and I also don't really see better than Mannion good. You do have to consider the offense don't you? Is Riley known for running a QB friendly offense?

I totally respect the time you put into researching and grading QBs. I am just not sure Goff is what you think he is. He seems like a Matt Moore type to me. I could be totally off though.

No. I wouldn't call it that. But my Goff evaluation doesn't come from stats. It's based on what I see on the field. That implicitly considers the offense.

As for him not being Mannion good, well...you know my stance on that. ;)

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
No. I wouldn't call it that. But my Goff evaluation doesn't come from stats. It's based on what I see on the field. That implicitly considers the offense.

As for him not being Mannion good, well...you know my stance on that. ;)

Did you watch Mannion as much as Goff?

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
Our colors make him look younger tbh.
image.jpeg