OFFICIAL Rams Free Agency Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't see us getting more than Thomas, Kirksey, and a Day 3 pick. And again, it's not a deal that I'd love.

I'd probably even take a third if it came down to it. I understand, a lot of guys don't like the idea of trading off Ogletree, but Joe Thomas is a huge improvement at what may be our most desperate current position. Think of how big an asset he could be to Goff and the rest of the OL. 'Tree' is a valued member of the team, I just happen to believe Phillips can produce good production at ILB without the giant CAP hit. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd probably even take a third if it came down to it. I understand, a lot of guys don't like the idea of trading off Ogletree, but Joe Thomas is a huge improvement at what may be our most desperate current position. Think of how big an asset he could be to Goff and the rest of the OL. 'Tree' is a valued member of the team, I just happen to believe Phillips can produce good production at ILB without the giant CAP hit. jmo.

Joe Thomas is 32 years old, though. We're trading a player who is 25 years old for a player who is 32 years old. We're not a team that has to win now. Our window is just now about to open (hopefully). It's just not a deal that would sit well with me.

But like I said, I don't think the Browns would value our guys where you do.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Joe Thomas is 32 years old, though. We're trading a player who is 25 years old for a player who is 32 years old. We're not a team that has to win now. Our window is just now about to open (hopefully). It's just not a deal that would sit well with me.

But like I said, I don't think the Browns would value our guys where you do.

The age difference between Thomas & Ogletree was a factor with asking for the higher 2'nd round pick.

Although Hayes was strictly a Fisher 'guy', he looks like a very good fit for LDE under Williams. The former Cleveland starting LDE is more of a 4/3 DT, he'll be next to Shelton. Barron and Ogletree are more of a Williams/Fisher jointly produced addition to our team, i'd expect Williams to be happy to have them back in what was a successful Rams defensive scheme while he was here. Nassib was a non-factor at RDE, so Ogbah will take that spot over from his past ROLB position. I'm guessing Collins will move to MLB. Ogletree would return to WLB and Barron would be his back up as well as starting at SS. At least that is how I see it presently. Looks like the beginning of a pretty solid front 7. jmo.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The age difference between Thomas & Ogletree was a factor with asking for the higher 2'nd round pick.

Although Hayes was strictly a Fisher 'guy', he looks like a very good fit for LDE under Williams. The former Cleveland starting LDE is more of a 4/3 DT, he'll be next to Shelton. Barron and Ogletree are more of a Williams/Fisher jointly produced addition to our team, i'd expect Williams to be happy to have them back in what was a successful Rams defensive scheme while he was here. Nassib was a non-factor at RDE, so Ogbah will take that spot over from his past ROLB position. I'm guessing Collins will move to MLB. Ogletree would return to WLB and Barron would be his back up as well as starting at SS. At least that is how I see it presently. Looks like the beginning of a pretty solid front 7. jmo.

My expectation for their front-seven IRL is:
LDE: Emmanuel Ogbah
NT: Danny Shelton
UT: Desmond Bryant
RDE: Myles Garrett
3rd DE: Carl Nassib
WLB: Christian Kirksey
MLB: Jamie Collins
SLB: Demario Davis or Joe Schobert

If they did this deal, I think Hayes would slot in as the 3rd DE with Collins at SLB, Ogletree at MLB, and Barron at WLB. JMO.(it is possible that Barron could end up at SS)

But I'm not sure that's optimal for them.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My expectation for their front-seven IRL is:
LDE: Emmanuel Ogbah
NT: Danny Shelton
UT: Desmond Bryant
RDE: Myles Garrett
3rd DE: Carl Nassib
WLB: Christian Kirksey
MLB: Jamie Collins
SLB: Demario Davis or Joe Schobert

If they did this deal, I think Hayes would slot in as the 3rd DE with Collins at SLB, Ogletree at MLB, and Barron at WLB. JMO.(it is possible that Barron could end up at SS)

But I'm not sure that's optimal for them.

OK, you tricked me with drafting Myles Garrett. If you look up you'll see this is a free agent thread, lol.
I'm saving that overall #1 for a QB, but should they spend big on Kirk Cousins, then i'll go with your theory.
I was only trying to move forward a Rams trade, not including the rest of the league as that would obviously look very different. My scenario preserves their #1 draft pick, but that does appear as a pretty solid base defense, no doubt. I don't believe Kirksey matches up to Ogletree outside, and they'd still need a better SS imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK, you tricked me with drafting Myles Garrett. If you look up you'll see this is a free agent thread, lol.
I'm saving that overall #1 for a QB, but should they spend big on Kirk Cousins, then i'll go with your theory.
I was only trying to move forward a Rams trade, not including the rest of the league as that would obviously look very different. My scenario preserves their #1 draft pick, but that does appear as a pretty solid base defense, no doubt. I don't believe Kirksey matches up to Ogletree outside, and they'd still need a better SS imo.

From all reports, they're going with Myles Garrett.(there isn't a #1 overall caliber QB in this class)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
From all reports, they're going with Myles Garrett.(there isn't a #1 overall caliber QB in this class)

That's a good choice. I hadn't heard that Cleveland had made up its mind with the QB position, they have so many options with all that saved CAP and draft picks, that team should become a big threat to their division in no time. Hopefully the same happens for us soon.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Kromer's philosophy (which I agree wholeheartedly with) is to build from the inside out. I don't think he's going to be content with the interior OL. I see this team going out and paying one of the top OGs on the market while also adding a Center in the draft and/or FA.

I think he'll roll with Saffold or Greg at LT. He might bring in competition if there's a FA or draft pick that he likes. But I don't see him sticking Saffold and Greg at OG and saying, "We're good."

I'm not arguing the inside out theory, although outside of Center, I believe the interior is good going forward with Saffold & GRob. Saffold was our best offensive linemen last season, and Robinson, although with limited action at LG, certainly has the skill set to succeed at the position. No coach should be content with our OL of last year, and our later round players like Brown, Wichmann & Donnal should never have been catapulted into starting without the benefit of decent coaching & development. Most if not all these guys are more than likely permanent back-up depth types who would not have otherwise started had the Rams had better or healthier players in front of them. Being force fed to start so early didn't help their development much, but the experience they gained along with a top new coaching staff may prolong their careers. Preferably a proven quality veteran starts at LT, but if our hunt should fail, perhaps a low cost rehab project (Beatty/Kalil/?) and a 2'nd round draftee (Cam Robinson/Bolles/Dawkins) can hold it down successfully. This may also give us more leverage pursuing a free agent Center like Tretter. Anyway, this would be a less expensive route for an OL makeover, allowing more CAP dollars to be used at WR, LOLB, ILB & CB, etc. jmo.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wow what did Reiff do to you?:)

Seems to me that working with what they have, along with drafting a LT in the upcoming draft sure appears to me to be the most likely scenario this team will be in come training camp. Aaron Kromer would need to get with Saffold/ Donnal/ Williams/ Murphy & advise all four they would prioritize all their off season work & effort on the specific single post of LT position. If they signed Rob Leary @ OLG then they might be able to get some performance out of that OLT post. It will not happen with GRob.

LT- Rodger Saffold/ Darrell Williams/ Pace Murphy/ Andrew Donnal/ {DRAFT}

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Cruz is too expensive. No way he would come in at the minimum level, and the guy can't stay healthy. I like the guy personally, but I'd pass.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Hoping the Jaguars think it's too much to exercise Kelvin Beachum's option. Highly unlikely though.