OFFICIAL Rams Free Agency Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You want to sign Pryor for $10 million to $11 million per year despite the fact that he only has one year of production, has legitimate character concerns, and didn't produce more than Jackson or Garcon?

We definitely disagree there.

I also don't know what "put our receiver corps over the top" even means.

Pryor is already requesting free tattoos and a monthly rotation of cars in his next deal. Old habits are hard to break.

I have never said he was the real deal. At the end of the day though he out jumps and out muscle a lot of CBs and run past them too. He has the tools and the traits and for this to be his first full year at WR those tools translated well.

I want some proven receivers with a track record for being hard working, high character players. I don't see that with Pryor so much. I am tired of lazy route runners and guys quitting on the team at the WR spot. Pryor has had his share of critics among teammates.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame

View: https://twitter.com/rotoworld_fb/status/830087696114671616

Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski expects the Eagles to trade SLB Mychal Kendricks.

In August of 2015, Kendricks signed a big extension worth $29 million over four years. He was a great fit in the previous 3-4 system, but Kendricks immediately fell out of favor under current DC Jim Schwartz, who didn't really have a spot for Kendricks. He ended up playing just 273 snaps in 2016. Shedding Kendricks will likely be one of EVP Howie Roseman's top priorities. The former No. 46 overall pick turns 27 later this summer and is due a $4.85 million salary.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
desean jackson wants to stay in washington.
so much for being so close with mcvay.
i thought he is from la.
I think it's all about who he gets to pay the more $$$$!! Business is Business!!(y) t's the Off-Season!;)

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

View: https://twitter.com/rotoworld_fb/status/830087696114671616

Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski expects the Eagles to trade SLB Mychal Kendricks.

In August of 2015, Kendricks signed a big extension worth $29 million over four years. He was a great fit in the previous 3-4 system, but Kendricks immediately fell out of favor under current DC Jim Schwartz, who didn't really have a spot for Kendricks. He ended up playing just 273 snaps in 2016. Shedding Kendricks will likely be one of EVP Howie Roseman's top priorities. The former No. 46 overall pick turns 27 later this summer and is due a $4.85 million salary.

We don't really have a spot for him unless they move Barron to SS. He would only fit at one of the 2 MLB spots.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Potential trade bait for a thumper ? Thought this was interesting as many here spoke highly of him last year. Would come with a reasonable CAP, but likely a fairly expensive trade.

RotoWorld :
According to the Buffalo News' Vic Carucci, it "remains to be seen" if 2016 second-round LB Reggie Ragland fits in new coach Sean McDermott's defensive scheme.

The Bills traded up to select Ragland last year only to see him tear his ACL and miss his entire rookie season. He was projected to be a terrific fit in ex-coach Rex Ryan's 3-4 as an inside thumper, but Ragland's future is now unclear. At 6'2/252, there may only be room for either Ragland or Preston Brown (6'1/251) at middle linebacker. In Carolina, both of McDermott's outside linebackers -- Thomas Davis (6'1/231) and Shaq Thompson (6'1/220) -- were speedy and athletic. Ragland isn't cut from that same cloth.

Source: Buffalo News
Feb 10 - 12:01 PM

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Luke Joeckel
I'm just throwing this out there.... was wondering what the consensus was.... I have not followed him in Jacksonville. ..but if is decided by this staff that Robinson is a gaurd...what do you think Kromer could do with him....could be inexpensive. What do think?

Go Rams....... ;)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Luke Joeckel
I'm just throwing this out there.... was wondering what the consensus was.... I have not followed him in Jacksonville. ..but if is decided by this staff that Robinson is a gaurd...what do you think Kromer could do with him....could be inexpensive. What do think?

Go Rams....... ;)
He might have been worse than GRob, didn't have as many penalties but was worse overall.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He might have been worse than GRob, didn't have as many penalties but was worse overall.

True, and seemingly more injury prone than Saffold, but beggars can't be choosers sometimes. If we could get him with a low cost, short term, heavily performance based and incentivized 'show me' contract, i'd still try to get him into camp. The Rams need competitors at the LT position, and if these new coaches stand a shot at getting thru to Greg Robinson, maybe they can do the same with Luke Joeckel.

I'd still probably try for Matt Kalil before Joeckel, but we may need to take a chance one of these IR'd OT's can be had on a fairly cheap 'show me' contract. Considering what's available on the market and not drafting until the 2'nd round, our opportunities at the position could dwindle very quickly. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, and seemingly more injury prone than Saffold, but beggars can't be choosers sometimes. If we could get him with a low cost, short term, heavily performance based and incentivized 'show me' contract, i'd still try to get him into camp. The Rams need competitors at the LT position, and if these new coaches stand a shot at getting thru to Greg Robinson, maybe they can do the same with Luke Joeckel.

I'd still probably try for Matt Kalil before Joeckel, but we may need to take a chance one of these IR'd OT's can be had on a fairly cheap 'show me' contract. Considering what's available on the market and not drafting until the 2'nd round, our opportunities at the position could dwindle very quickly. jmo.

My question is why spend limited free agent dollars on something that may not even work out? We have plenty of what you described, cheap OLine players with potential to be coached up. If we're going to spend money it should be on somebody that can help us out. My next mock will likely have us signing William Beatty to a 2 year $2.5 million dollar contract. He'll be veteran insurance behind GRob at LT in case Kromer isn't able to coach him up to be a starter. The 2nd year is so that next year he's able to do the same for a LT we draft. Also a possibility for this year on a cheap prove it deal is Ryan Clady. He's due a lot of money from the Jets and coming off and with his recent injuries could be had on a prove it deal. Both are much better options than Joeckel and likely as cheap.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My question is why spend limited free agent dollars on something that may not even work out? We have plenty of what you described, cheap OLine players with potential to be coached up. If we're going to spend money it should be on somebody that can help us out. My next mock will likely have us signing William Beatty to a 2 year $2.5 million dollar contract. He'll be veteran insurance behind GRob at LT in case Kromer isn't able to coach him up to be a starter. The 2nd year is so that next year he's able to do the same for a LT we draft. Also a possibility for this year on a cheap prove it deal is Ryan Clady. He's due a lot of money from the Jets and coming off and with his recent injuries could be had on a prove it deal. Both are much better options than Joeckel and likely as cheap.

I don't object to Beatty at all. Like I mentioned earlier, the more guys in camp the better. Beatty is another IR'd player who hasn't seen much of the field ... in two years, and at 31 may be hoping for a team with more consistent play-off potential, but if we can land him with a low cost, short term prove-it deal, i'm all for moving him to the front of the list. Thing is, I don't pencil him behind GRob, he starts as would the others mentioned earlier, Robinson moves to RG imo. Clady is just one more hopeful we might be able to squeeze at least one year out of, bring on who we can, but have the Jets even released him ? Whoever it is, quality LT's will be at a premium this year, so our scouts/coaching staff has it's work cut out and Snead has to set the right price.
Keep bringing all the LT options possible, they all need to be vetted.

jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, and seemingly more injury prone than Saffold, but beggars can't be choosers sometimes.

If he's more injury prone than Saffold, why sign him? We already have Saffold, and Saffold has been a better player than Joeckel to this point in their careers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My next mock will likely have us signing William Beatty to a 2 year $2.5 million dollar contract.

Is that any better than Joeckel? Beatty was once a solid LT, but he hasn't started a game since 2014 and couldn't beat out Bobby Hart or Ereck Flowers this year.

I guess there's history of solid play there (unlike Joeckel), but I think that's a bit much to be paying a complete shot in the dark.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is that any better than Joeckel? Beatty was once a solid LT, but he hasn't started a game since 2014 and couldn't beat out Bobby Hart or Ereck Flowers this year.

I guess there's history of solid play there (unlike Joeckel), but I think that's a bit much to be paying a complete shot in the dark.
Likely is a bit much to pay an insurance policy. I don't think we'll be able to land Witworth he'll go to a team with a ton of cap space needing an LT. And there isn't anybody else out there to sign that can start and be any better than GRob. Also even with cutting Saffold when we sign the free agents at G and C or draft there we'll have openings. We're likely to see guys like Wichman, Donnal, Arkin, Williams or Murphy let go. Some of those if not all will add some savings to the cap. I don't think Beatty is the perfect solution but he's one option as a backup, as you said he has played and played well in the past and will come cheap as a backup at both LT and RT.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Fantastic guys.... thanks for info.... much appreciated. .... ;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If he's more injury prone than Saffold, why sign him? We already have Saffold, and Saffold has been a better player than Joeckel to this point in their careers.

Only because I want Saffold at LG. :fuelfire: I understand that he may end up becoming our best option at LT, but he's injured every 5 minutes playing that position. None of the guys mentioned in the previous few posts may be good options for remaining healthy at LT for an entire season, but I do believe Robinson and Saffold will have longer careers working the interior. I can live with most any LT for another season not named Greg Robinson, raising the bar above his past performances shouldn't be that difficult. Unless we get lucky enough to land a long term premium LT somehow thru free agency, the draft or a trade, i'd rather go the cheap and short term route.
Keeping GRob at LT not only risks Goff & the team for another season, it means seeking a quality starting OG, and the going rate is still very expensive. It also means GRob is likely lost to free agency following the season, where if we move him inside now it's going to be easier to re-sign him going forward imo. Being we also need a Center and my willingness to gamble on Robinson at RG, I just prefer going this route. We've got plenty of OG's if we'd just play them (Saffold & GRob), we also have decent depth with Brown, Donnal & Wichmann, ... what we really need is a starting LT and Center, so rather than screw around with Saffold or Robinson any more, just fill what we know needs filling. Hell, we may need two LT's if Darrell Williams hasn't recovered his 2015 potential, so i'm not opposed to going after a couple of these former IR'd short term, show-me type player contracts. Still, i'd probably draft one and sign the other short term. And may the best man win. With all this, who is Havenstein's back-up ? Acquiring a starting LT and a back-up for both Tackle positions can't hurt either unless we know Donnal is absolutely that guy for RT. If we are going for a starting Center like JC Tretter as well as a LT in free agency, this could get expensive, and being without a first round draft pick in 2017, perhaps the temporary route at LT is a wise move, and who knows, maybe they end up sticking anyway. Several guys' names have been thrown out for consideration, McVay will conduct his due diligence for every possibility, it will be interesting to see which route he takes, i'm just hoping it's bold and it works successfully.