New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Wonder how they would come up with this figure.
Well, that's simple. They pulled...

[The rest of Boffo97's message goes unheard as sounds of Prime Time beating Boffo with a truncheon ring out through the forum]

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I wonder who p'd in Kroenke cereal for him to dump on the STL fans like he seems to be doing? The deal in CA is a win for the city of Inglewood with no downside in the way of taxes for the residents! Quite different than what's going on in STL! I expect that he could get a sweetheart tax deal in MO if he wanted to build a stadium in MO! Guess he really is a douche!!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I wonder who p'd in Kroenke cereal for him to dump on the STL fans like he seems to be doing? The deal in CA is a win for the city of Inglewood with no downside in the way of taxes for the residents! Quite different than what's going on in STL! I expect that he could get a sweetheart tax deal in MO if he wanted to build a stadium in MO! Guess he really is a douche!!
I would think it's mostly a matter of a franchise in L.A. being worth more than a franchise in St. Louis (through no fault at all of St. Louis or anyone there).

Wanting to increase the value of one's property really doesn't make one a douche.

FrankenRam

Starter
I would think it's mostly a matter of a franchise in L.A. being worth more than a franchise in St. Louis (through no fault at all of St. Louis or anyone there).

Wanting to increase the value of one's property really doesn't make one a douche.

IMO, that's it in a nutshell.

My (probably terribly whacky) idea is based largely on my recollection of events at the time Chip & Whatshername openly put the Rams on the market. For a period of time, SK gave no significant indication he was interested in being sole owner of the team. It wasn't until some time after Shad Khan came to the fore and seemed to be gaining some momentum as a potentially real player for purchasing the team that (almost) all of a sudden SK decided he wanted to own the team.

And I suspect that came about because 'his people' eventually brought a plan to him detailing how he could turn the team's purchase into the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the LA rainbow that he finally went 'Holy Sheeee-1t' and put his offer on the table.

Throw in building his own stadium on his own nickel....which could be rented out for Super Bowls, NCAA Playoff Championship games, possibly to a 2nd NFL team, and who knows how many other events, and I have little doubt he could become THE dominant owner in the NFL within 5 yr of moving the team to LA.

As a result, I've come to believe the plan has ALWAYS been to move to LA. And I also think that's at least part of the reason he's become, not 'Silent Stan', but much closer to 'Invisible Stan'......because he knew how he'd be viewed in STL if the plan came to light....because he was viewed as something of a hometown boy in STL that provided some degree of confidence he'd keep the team here (at least initially).

So technically, no....wanting to increase the value of one's property doesn't make one a douche. But to expect STL fans to see it any other way is unrealistic....assuming any part of my half-baked theory is remotely accurate.

Boffo97

Name
Dave

My (probably terribly whacky) idea is based largely on my recollection of events at the time Chip & Whatshername openly put the Rams on the market. For a period of time, SK gave no significant indication he was interested in being sole owner of the team. It wasn't until some time after Shad Khan came to the fore and seemed to be gaining some momentum as a potentially real player for purchasing the team that (almost) all of a sudden SK decided he wanted to own the team.

And I suspect that came about because 'his people' eventually brought a plan to him detailing how he could turn the team's purchase into the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the LA rainbow that he finally went 'Holy Sheeee-1t' and put his offer on the table.

Throw in building his own stadium on his own nickel....which could be rented out for Super Bowls, NCAA Playoff Championship games, possibly to a 2nd NFL team, and who knows how many other events, and I have little doubt he could become THE dominant owner in the NFL within 5 yr of moving the team to LA.

As a result, I've come to believe the plan has ALWAYS been to move to LA. And I also think that's at least part of the reason he's become, not 'Silent Stan', but much closer to 'Invisible Stan'......because he knew how he'd be viewed in STL if the plan came to light....because he was viewed as something of a hometown boy in STL that provided some degree of confidence he'd keep the team here (at least initially).

So technically, no....wanting to increase the value of one's property doesn't make one a douche. But to expect STL fans to see it any other way is unrealistic....assuming any part of my half-baked theory is remotely accurate.
You're probably right... just like L.A. fans usually won't think too highly of Georgia.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
You're probably right... just like L.A. fans usually won't think too highly of Georgia.

NONE of his franchises fans think "too highly" of him. Go ask Arsenal fans about him. The reason being he will fuck over all of them for any means of extra money. He doesn't give a fuck about the cities or teams at all. This is just a hobby of his. He's a greedy elitist prick playing with his toys. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course L.A. Ram fans will make him out to be some hero, because he's moving the team back. Just like St. Louis fans did to Georgia. Make no mistake though, he doesn't care about you or your city. Just the money to be made there, and obviously this doesn't bother L.A. because you're getting the team regardless. So yeah, why should it?

Before I hear the stupid, stupid, stupid fucking argument of "it's just business" again let me say this too. PEOPLE DON'T BUY SPORTS TEAMS TO MAKE MONEY. They buy them because they have too much money. Most of them actually care about the team and city when they buy them, but some don't. This team is a toy to him. A piece of fucking shit worst in the history of the league toy. He can make it nice and shiny again in L.A., especially considering the actual team is making a turn for the better and the market in L.A.

I'm going to laugh my ass off if this team shits the bed as hard as it did in Stl the past decade when it moves though. I love to hear about how much support the team is going to get regardless (and I have no doubt that everyone on this site is a diehard fan), but the city is 90% fucking transplants. People brag about not showing up to games on time, leaving early, going just to see famous people, etc. The past 2 years the Cardinals played the Dodgers in the playoffs they couldn't even fill the fucking seats up until the 4th inning. Then even the die hard fans left after the 7th to beat traffic. I would say that team has some history there too.

The same will happen to the Rams if not worse if they don't preform. SK doesn't give a fuck about any of this nor will he care if no one is there to support the team ever. As long as he gets to eat caviar out of one of Jerry Jones hookers ass crack in the penthouse he has above the stadium while the Superbowl is being played, as everyone is kissing his ass about his remarkable "business decision," then he'll give no fucks at all.

We can continue to talk about the news regarding the situation, but stop trying to humanize this POS billionaire as if he actually cares about anything but himself. I'm sure you guys didn't like it when the media over here did it about Georgia, and he's one in the same.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob

I'm thinking he's a douche for expecting STL to spend 700 million tax dollars to improve the dome but he can spend his own money on a stadium in LA! This after telling the folks in STL that he's an honorable man, a MO man and would keep the team in STL! It's not about the benjamins, it's about the bs told to the fans in STL when he took over ownership!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Before I hear the stupid, stupid, stupid freaking argument of "it's just business" again let me say this too. PEOPLE DON'T BUY SPORTS TEAMS TO MAKE MONEY. They buy them because they have too much money.
I'm sorry, but I disagree totally with this. Of course owners are trying to make money.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm sorry, but I disagree totally with this. Of course owners are trying to make money.
I think to a point what User is saying is true though. These guys are all billionaires. To a point - yes they are in it to make money. But money I assume at that point becomes more of a prestige thing than really a desire to make the money itself. Where I differ is that there is really a huge difference between Stan and maybe 25 or 30 other owners when it comes down to it. They can talk like they respect the fans of the given city but in reality, if the rubber were ever to meet the road, they would play hard ball as well as they were able.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The past 2 years the Cardinals played the Dodgers in the playoffs they couldn't even fill the freaking seats up until the 4th inning. Then even the die hard fans left after the 7th to beat traffic. I would say that team has some history there too

And when the Kings played the Blues two years in a row for the playoffs, Scotttrade Center failed to sellout. Luckily these things have nothing to do with football, and are essentially comparing apples to oranges.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
And when the Kings played the Blues two years in a row for the playoffs, Scotttrade Center failed to sellout. Luckily these things have nothing to do with football, and are essentially comparing apples to oranges.

Good thing it only took 2 Stanley Cups to 12 million people for things to start popping. I don't think we're that far behind in attendance to the Kings as it is, but I really don't care. The point is, it isn't about support to Stan. It isn't about the cities, or the fans. It's about him.

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: Kroenke, Peacock chat it up at party
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_e536baff-e096-5a88-8963-688b7151ebe8.html

It doesn’t qualify as a formal meeting, but Dave Peacock spent about 20 minutes in casual conversation with St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke at the NFL’s annual Super Bowl party last Friday night in Phoenix.

Teaming with Bob Blitz, Peacock heads the St. Louis stadium task force that’s working hard to convert the stadium plan from paper to reality.

We’re told that Kroenke and Peacock had an amiable encounter and discussed topics ranging from Mizzou athletics to the NBA.

In case you’re wondering … yes, Peacock and Kroenke did touch on the local efforts to build an NFL stadium on the north riverfront of downtown St. Louis.

“Stan was encouraging and appreciative, and really couldn’t have been nicer,” Peacock said.

This Kroenke-Peacock conversation is an interesting development, but it’s advisable to view it for what it was: two guys talking sports and being friendly at the league’s Super Bowl party. But maybe this was a good way to break the ice — and the tension.

Kroenke is pursuing his own stadium project, in Inglewood near Los Angeles. And it’s expected (but not confirmed) that Kroenke will attempt to move the Rams to LA before the 2016 season.

Kroenke has nothing to gain by being rude to Peacock. No one knows for sure how this situation will play out, and a wide range of possibilities includes Kroenke choosing to keep the team in St. Louis to play in a new stadium.

Kroenke usually doesn’t attend the NFL’s Friday-night Super Bowl party. But if he wants to move the Rams and plans to follow the NFL’s guidelines on franchise relocation, Kroenke will have to line up support from his fellow owners.

During his time as the Rams’ majority owner Kroenke hasn’t spent a lot of time engaging NFL owners. But if he plays by the rules he’ll need 24 votes for approval, and the Super Bowl setting is ideal for lobbying.

It’s worth noting that Kroenke remained in Arizona for the duration of the weekend, and I don’t think it’s a stretch to surmise that he used the opportunity to talk to other owners about his vision for Los Angeles.

It’s also worth noting that Peacock was invited to the party and had the chance to chat with NFL executives and owners. According to multiple people who were there to witness the scene, Peacock was received warmly by multiple owners.

During his long run as an executive at Anheuser-Busch, Peacock became acquainted with many NFL owners and is respected and liked within league circles. It’s good to know that Peacock continues to put his fine lobbying skills to work.

Earlier this week Peacock and Blitz announced the hiring of John Loyd as a stadium consultant. That was a positive step, and we can expect additional stadium-related announcements from Peacock and Blitz in the near future.

=======

Spring training ... almost here. Joy.

I’d be surprised and disappointed if retired Rams offensive tackle Orlando Pace isn’t voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame next year. Quarterback Kurt Warner may have to wait a while; Brett Favre goes on the ballot for the first time in 2016.

It was another solid recruiting class for Mizzou football coach Gary Pinkel and his staff. The national recruiting rankings are just a number; Pinkel’s speciality is turning underrated recruits into above-average players. As college football analyst David Pollack said on ESPNU: “I don’t think anybody develops talent better than Missouri.”

Congrats to Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald for being named the NFL’s defensive rookie of the year for 2014. The honor was richly deserved. Donald was the league’s best defensive tackle, rookie or veteran, according to the grading done by Pro Football Focus. Donald was an excellent draft pick by Rams GM Les Snead.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I didn't like Georgia because she ran a great franchise into the ground.
I wasn't happy about moving out of so cal, but I understood the reasons behind it, and eventually made peace with it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Good thing it only took 2 Stanley Cups to 12 million people for things to start popping. I don't think we're that far behind in attendance to the Kings as it is, but I really don't care. The point is, it isn't about support to Stan. It isn't about the cities, or the fans. It's about him.

Kings have always had good numbers. I always felt its about Stan and his prestige and his net worth (but more so prestige), which is why discussing fan bases means nothing. There's no need to take shots at LA because you're upset that he may move, just as there's no need to take shots at St Louis if they decide to stay. Stan isn't going to be swayed by rallies and letters, if St Louis wants the Rams they need to up their proposal. If Stan is unwilling to accept anything other than them bending over the table again, then its more complicated. The offer made a few weeks ago made it too easy for him to say no.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Kings have always had good numbers. I always felt its about Stan and his prestige and his net worth (but more so prestige), which is why discussing fan bases means nothing. There's no need to take shots at LA because you're upset that he may move, just as there's no need to take shots at St Louis if they decide to stay. Stan isn't going to be swayed by rallies and letters, if St Louis wants the Rams they need to up their proposal. If Stan is unwilling to accept anything other than them bending over the table again, then its more complicated. The offer made a few weeks ago made it too easy for him to say no.

What offer made it to easy to say no? The rough draft that Peacock presented was the last offer I can recall, and it was far from unreasonable. Other owners have had to kick in similar amounts and have had rougher times getting proposals.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I have to agree with user on the notion that people don't buy teams to make money. That's just a byproduct. People have sports teams because they love the sport, have inherited the team, or because of the exposure and prestige. And in this case, I don't think for a minute money is Stan's main goal. Again, that's just a byproduct. Stan's goal is to play with Jerry Jones and the other cool kids from New York and Chicago. He doesn't want to play with Cincinnati and the nerds from Cleveland or Jacksonville. He is looking to be the coolest hairpiece on the playground.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
As long as he gets to eat caviar out of one of Jerry Jones hookers ass crack in the penthouse he has above the stadium while the Superbowl is being played, as everyone is kissing his ass.

No matter how selfish that might be... I would never look down on a man who was able to do this. You have an excellent imagination Brudda. (y)

Get your ass down here so I can take you fishing.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

My recollection goes like this, Stan had a right of first refusal so he was waiting on offers from outside to set the market, and FWIW when you have THAT as a feature of a contract it costs something BK those can be transferable IOW sold to third parties.

I don't in any way doubt Stan had a long game in mind from the get go,he didn't IOW suddenly decide to get control IMO

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I have to agree with user on the notion that people don't buy teams to make money. That's just a byproduct. People have sports teams because they love the sport, have inherited the team, or because of the exposure and prestige. And in this case, I don't think for a minute money is Stan's main goal. Again, that's just a byproduct. Stan's goal is to play with Jerry Jones and the other cool kids from New York and Chicago. He doesn't want to play with Cincinnati and the nerds from Cleveland or Jacksonville. He is looking to be the coolest hairpiece on the playground.
In a way though, that's almost saying the same thing.

Stan wants more ______ (whether money, prestige or what have you). In Los Angeles, he has more ______ than he does in St. Louis. St. Louis fans justifiably dislike him if he decides to go in that direction, but it's not a jerk move in and of itself.

What was a jerk move was the statements about how of course he'd keep the team there because he was a Missouran and he helped bring the team there and yadda yadda yadda, when it seems more and more likely this was the plan all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.