New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
. I do think it will factor in somewhat though, because it shows that the Rams didn't just sit around and not try, they tried more than most/all and got nothing for it.

What were they supposed to get for community service. They got great press from it. Which they promptly blew on the field.

I'd dispute the "gave more than all" comment but why bother. I doubt many will think the Rams gave more than any other team and were shunned for it.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
7-8-1, 7-9, 6-10. The exact definition of a step backward every year. If we are going to live in the real world where results matter in regards to the move, then we should also be realistic here. The fact is, yes the FACT, is we got worse while our division got better. It's a fact because it was proven, repeatedly, on the football field that we didn't make enough plays to win. The QB problem? Talk to the playoff Cardinals.

So no, why would you see a rise from additional causal fans if the newspaper stat sheet still shows the same crap? When you still see the absolutely undisciplined penalties to ensure game deciding drives die a quick death on your tv? I don't understand why you would think attendance would rise after another losing season and another promise of next year.
I see the same things and wonder the same... no one is saying they aren't a lot better than the Spagnuolo Rams... but they're nowhere near a "must see" ticket.

I guess I'd ask our Rams brethren in California... if the Rams had stayed there and presented you with the same 2004-present "experience", would you reconsider renewing your season tickets for 2015?

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
No kidding, but I'm talking about the ability of a team to make money or lack therof to justify a move which is what this conversation was about. And two owners are fighting for LA out of self defense, not because they really want to move.

How do you explain self defense? 2 of the poorest owners(not billionaires) trying to move the teams to LA to increase the value of their teams in order to build a stadium. Not everyone can afford to own a team.

The Raiders could have solved their stadium issues years ago. The NFL doesn't want 2 stadiums in any market.

The Chargers have proposed stadiums in the past but how many of the proposals were real. One involved closing a power plant in a state that doesn't have enough. They also proposed shutting down an airport. Some of the others were on sites that couldn't support a stadium so how hard have they actually tried.

bluecoconuts

Legend
No kidding, but I'm talking about the ability of a team to make money or lack therof to justify a move which is what this conversation was about. And two owners are fighting for LA out of self defense, not because they really want to move.

I think Spanos wants to move, if he didn't he would make something happen in San Diego. Similar to Kroenke and St Louis, if either of those two owners truly wanted to stay in their city they would figure it out. I don't buy that a team in LA kills the Chargers, two teams could be tricky, but not one. Spanos' being willing to alienate 75% of his fanbase in order to keep 25% is stupid, he wants LA because he'll make more money there. Davis is probably the only one who really wants to stay but probably can't get a deal anyway. However there are other options than LA if the case was simply he needs something that works in general.

In terms of the ability to make money, there's so many reasons why it might work in one small area and not another. Take Green Bay for example, one of the reason's why it works so well, other than the history of the team, is because there's really just nothing else to do. If the appetite for football in one small city is large enough it can work, but if the city has other attractions or other teams, it obviously takes away from potential NFL revenue. If the city is large enough (New York, or Los Angeles for example) then they can afford to take the hits from other attractions because there are so many people they still have plenty to draw from. In a city like Jacksonville, where the county population is only 885,000 having all those different attractions means that the Jaguars are going to have trouble filling their seats, there's only so much to go around. LA county has 10.2 million people in it, they can take the hit.

The Jaguars need to attract about 7.5% of their county population to fill their stadium.

In LA they would need to attract .0008% of the population to fill the Inglewood stadium.

That's where big cities have their advantage. And that's why smaller cities with less to do are able to manage, while others who have more to do have issues. St Louis is home to world class teams like the Cardinals, that makes it harder for the Rams. Even if the Rams are doing well, they're still the #2 ranked team. What happens if soccer comes into town as discussed, then it's even harder for the Rams. Those are potential situations the NFL will need to look at.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
7-8-1, 7-9, 6-10. The exact definition of a step backward every year. If we are going to live in the real world where results matter in regards to the move, then we should also be realistic here. The fact is, yes the FACT, is we got worse while our division got better. It's a fact because it was proven, repeatedly, on the football field that we didn't make enough plays to win. The QB problem? Talk to the playoff Cardinals.

So no, why would you see a rise from additional causal fans if the newspaper stat sheet still shows the same crap? When you still see the absolutely undisciplined penalties to ensure game deciding drives die a quick death on your tv? I don't understand why you would think attendance would rise after another losing season and another promise of next year.
I gotta believe you are being intentionally difficult here Blue4 in an attempt to make the case that Stan hasn't done anything to improve the team. Do you honestly - as a fan - not see improvement in the team today versus the period directly preceding the past 3 years? If you don't, I would say you are in the extreme minority. And if this is the common thought of the majority in the Lou, I really don't think it helps the case for people not showing up to games. If they can't see that the product is being improved, is it because they no longer care to pay attention? I dunno man. Doesn't seem like a good position to take.

bluecoconuts

Legend
They keep stats on such things? I'd love to see them!
What were they supposed to get for community service. They got great press from it. Which they promptly blew on the field.

I'd dispute the "gave more than all" comment but why bother. I doubt many will think the Rams gave more than any other team and were shunned for it.

That came from Shane Gray's article about how the rams do more community outreach programs than other teams. I forget if it was the most in the NFL or not, but I know it was among the most. It was posted in the thread not too far back.

The thing is first they had to GET to there. Under previous regimes it was 2-14, 1-15, 3-12, Fisher has made is more competitive on a week to week basis, and has completely retooled the team. I think the owners are going to know that the team has moved forward since Fisher has taken over, we've gone from the team that everyone see's on the schedule and marks us off as an easy win, to a team that other teams will openly admit they worry about us more than other teams. I wouldn't go and say that the Rams are a great team who have no glaring weaknesses, because we do, and I don't say that Fisher is the perfect coach because I don't believe that, but I can't say that this team is the same type of team that we watched fumble around up and down the field in almost hilarious fashion for the previous half decade before Fisher and Snead took over. We were a laughing stock then, and we aren't one now.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The site has a great ignore function. I suggest rather than continually telling someone you are not going to converse with them, you simply put them on ignore so the rest of us don't have to witness the horror. (y)
Sorry to derail...

2 questions:
How do yu ignore a member?
Can you ignore a thread If so, how do you do that?

Thanks!

Irish

Starter
I gotta believe you are being intentionally difficult here Blue4 in an attempt to make the case that Stan hasn't done anything to improve the team. Do you honestly - as a fan - not see improvement in the team today versus the period directly preceding the past 3 years? If you don't, I would say you are in the extreme minority. And if this is the common thought of the majority in the Lou, I really don't think it helps the case for people not showing up to games. If they can't see that the product is being improved, is it because they no longer care to pay attention? I dunno man. Doesn't seem like a good position to take.

Two things:

1) improvement is relative. In this case, the team has improved, but not nearly at the rate of other teams in its own division. Up until this year, The Seahawks, 49ers, and Cardinals have all not only had winnings records, but they have made the playoffs, some even playing for, and winning Super Bowls. The Rams have done none of the above. Couple that with the 10 years of losing seasons, and it is REALLY easy to be pessimistic in regards to progress and improvement.

2) there is a large portion of the STL fan base that does not have any difficulty believing conspiracy theories regarding ownership sabotaging the team. A potion made of equal parts questionable personnel decisions (Not drafting a legitimate successor to Sam Bradford following ACL #1, giving contracts to guys like Jake Long with suspect injury histories, inability to surround Sam (or, really, any Rams QB) with game changing weapons), an aloof owner who cannot be troubled to reassure a city as he builds a stadium in another city, and a history of having been burned by the NFL and an owner in the not-so-distant past makes for a very bitter, nauseating cocktail.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
The site has a great ignore function. I suggest rather than continually telling someone you are not going to converse with them, you simply put them on ignore so the rest of us don't have to witness the horror. (y)

Speaking of which, how 'bout changing your avatar back to "Booby-girl". :ROFLMAO:

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Post deleted.

Who was leading the charge in St Louis after the loss in arbitration? Who were the Rams supposed to talk with?

What bizarre behavior are you talking about? Not talking to the media. There are plenty of owners that don't talk with the media. Also, no one bought the team out from Kahn, Kroenke had the right to buy the Rams.

The rest of the country also had an economic crisis. The NFL made lots of money and so did most of the teams with losing records.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Not even a real question. No one blocked Kahn and if he wanted the team he could have bought Kroenke off but he didn't.

A commitment goes both ways.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Still with this false complaint? It's long since been acknowledged as fact that Kroenke got 40% ownership of the Rams by helping them be moved from LA. As part of that deal he also received the right of first purchase if Georgia or her heirs decided to sell their 60%. Nobody stole anything or did an end around or swiped a rug out from under Khan. Kroenke always had first right of purchase and exercised that. If somebody else expressed an interest in buying that then great so what they had to wait their turn in line to see if it would be made available to anybody other than Kroenke. We get that you hate Kroenke but try sticking to facts and not feelings or opinions.

Nor yours try sticking with facts.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip

It's all your own opinion. You didn't ask a question that could be answered. No one blocked anyone from buying a team so the question can't be answered. There are only 3 teams looking to move and the only one that has showed a commitment to their region, the Raiders.

MrMotes

Starter

article-2627638-1DA28EC900000578-690_634x460.jpg

Kroenke is the weirdo owner?

iced

What bizarre behavior are you talking about? Not talking to the media. There are plenty of owners that don't talk with the media. Also, no one bought the team out from Kahn, Kroenke had the right to buy the Rams.

Cancelling fan events and putting practices in oxnard.

Even Demoff has admitted part of the reasons of less ticket renewals and corporate support is due to the state of the franchise and possible move to LA. Also heard there was some reluctance for corporations to renew support without a commitment from Kroenke to the city.

His actions and inactions aren't going well for him in the eyes of ticket buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.