New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You've done the most work and have written the most complete articles so you deserve the pat on the back.

I have a little feeling this is a play for land and tax abatement.
Thank you, Les. I am honored at your comments.

And as I stated above, dismissing the possibility of this being leverage related -- especially when considering the extensive history of this occurring in the league -- is silly.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
A huge thank you to CGI, Prime Time and all the moderators for allowing this to be read (as always) and also to be commented up and discussed. I am grateful beyond words.

SG

We had a fist-fight over this in the storage room at ROD last night and I lost.:admin:

STL-Rams

Starter
Nice read, Shane.

If it does turn out that Kroenke is doing all of this to get the ultimate leverage and he wins (STL builds a really nice stadium), don't you think he'll have a lot of damage control to deal with?
Damage? Yes. Irrepairable? No.

STL-Rams

Starter
Hi Shane,

Good work again, as always. Nice read.

Question: Are you personally, based upon your work on this issue, optimistic that the Rams will stay in St. Louis?
Thanks, my friend. I have optimism, yes, for many reasons listed in the column -- among other things.

STL-Rams

Starter
tumblr_ma0rdvX6eS1qhy3t9o4_250.gif
:) :) :) X, happy new year, my friend! Hope this is your best year yet! Hope we can get in touch soon.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
What happens if the players decided they didnt wanna leave? Lets say they all come together and refuse to move. What happens then?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've read so many theories on why Kroenke is doing what he's doing that it's made me dizzy.... or maybe it was the beers last night. :)

Remember, as was pointed out, it was Stockbridge Capital that started this. I have read nothing that has come directly from the Kroenke Group. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Big day today... looks like Peacock and Blitz are ready to put their proposal in front of Nixon. That starts the ball rolling as it pertains to STL. Now, we see if Nixon approves, declines or amends it.

I do believe that, if the stadium proposal is robust, it will make things difficult for Kroenke as he has not made a good faith effort to negotiate a new stadium.
In my opinion, not returning calls from Peacock, the Mayor of Governor couldn't be viewed as working in good faith.

Looking forwad to seeing what the proposal is and how it's received by Nixon.

BTW... Rams fan for close to 50 years now... never lived in either California or Missouri but have gone to a few games at The Ed.

If you are on this board, after everything we've been through... you are a true Rams fan in my eyes... regardless of where you happen to live.

STL-Rams

Starter
Thank you Shane. Nice read. I think it is awesome that this forum is trying to share this information and are taking on the responsibility of moderating it to where it doesn't get out of control. Kudos for opening the discussion a bit. The whole, 100% banned thing kinda bugs me because I like to depend on this site and its users on all my Rams related news. I do however understand the division it creates for the board. So I appreciate this.

My question would just be how St.louis creating a new stadium would increase the value of the team that much. From what I can tell our stadium is not one of the worst in the league (about middle of the pack) yet the Rams are listed as one of the least valuable teams. The teams with the most value tend to be teams that own the majority of their stadium, which we currently do not. My point being, any team moving to St.Louis to use either the EJD or a new stadium would not see that much increase in the value of their team since the city of St.Louis would still own the stadium, the franchise would not. Sure maybe value increases a tad because a team has access to a fancy new stadium and wouldn't be dealing with the uncertainty that we are facing now, but that would just be temporary. Appraisals on anything bigger than an average home are typically a joke anyways.

As far as the fate of Rams in St.Louis, I think Shane hit it on the nail that it is way to early to be definitive with any conclusion. They could go to LA or the could stay in St.Louis. All we really know if that 2015 is going to held in St.Louis.
Thank you for the kind comment and the thoughtful question.

As for value increase, a new venue would create many new revenue streams. A new venue in any city will give several hundred million increase in terms of value. Middle of the pack is slightly generous on dome. Of course, winning boosts value and income significantly as well, and the Rams have not put out a winner in 11 seasons.

Also, a project here would likely bring significant revenue options for SK around the stadium. Remember, his day job is still realty development. It's not just about the stadium.

Finally, keep in mind franchise value estimates from Forbes are just estimates, with only the Packers opening their books. Nobody knows what owners are charging money to to their aunts or uncles or whatever to impact their bottom line.

STL-Rams

Starter
Until we see a reaction to the Peacock/Blitz stadium proposal from Kroenke, I'm operating under the assumption that this is still a leverage play.

But, I think it's more than a typical leverage play. I think he'll develop no matter what, but focusing on the retail/shopping around the stadium as that is what the Kroenke Group does the best. It's all about the strip malls.
Lots of great points here, Chris.

STL-Rams

Starter
As to point #2, that is such a draconian measure that I doubt anyone would go rogue. That is so much money that they would forfeit that there is no way a team could make any money at all. In fact whatever profit Stan might make by his team being worth more by going to LA would be quickly lost in around 4-5 years.

I also highly, highly doubt the NFL would allow Kroenke to move the Rams if there is a viable stadium especially when Oakland and San Diego have had such a hard time getting their own. It just sets up a bad precedent. But then, who knows what the NFL is thinking
People want to overlook or simply don't pay attention to how severe the punishments can be for a rogue move, including loss of tv revenues and loss of revenues from league-wide merchandise sales. Even the option of not scheduling games is available.

STL-Rams

Starter
As to point #2, that is such a draconian measure that I doubt anyone would go rogue. That is so much money that they would forfeit that there is no way a team could make any money at all. In fact whatever profit Stan might make by his team being worth more by going to LA would be quickly lost in around 4-5 years.

I also highly, highly doubt the NFL would allow Kroenke to move the Rams if there is a viable stadium especially when Oakland and San Diego have had such a hard time getting their own. It just sets up a bad precedent. But then, who knows what the NFL is thinking
Agreed

STL-Rams

Starter
Thanks for making this very difficult decision ROD management props to you for facing this and trusting us the community to keep it considerate and respectful.
As an LA resident and native I am pledging my allegiance to the Rams irrespective of location and our great fan base no matter how large or small, with a great portion and the portion that is most dear to me right here on the ROD. I want to wish all those hoping to keep the Rams in the Lou good Luck and I truly mean that. Remember we are fans and we are family. Now to the Rams please don't hold us hostage or take advantage of us to increase your leverage. Lets end this mystery sooner than later with respect to all concerned.
Classy post. I enjoyed this.

STL-Rams

Starter
I've read so many theories on why Kroenke is doing what he's doing that it's made me dizzy.... or maybe it was the beers last night. :)

Remember, as was pointed out, it was Stockbridge Capital that started this. I have read nothing that has come directly from the Kroenke Group. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Big day today... looks like Peacock and Blitz are ready to put their proposal in front of Nixon. That starts the ball rolling as it pertains to STL. Now, we see if Nixon approves, declines or amends it.

I do believe that, if the stadium proposal is robust, it will make things difficult for Kroenke as he has not made a good faith effort to negotiate a new stadium.
In my opinion, not returning calls from Peacock, the Mayor of Governor couldn't be viewed as working in good faith.

Looking forwad to seeing what the proposal is and how it's received by Nixon.

BTW... Rams fan for close to 50 years now... never lived in either California or Missouri but have gone to a few games at The Ed.

If you are on this board, after everything we've been through... you are a true Rams fan in my eyes... regardless of where you happen to live.
Great post all around, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.