New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Unless Kroenke Has went bat shit crazy, he has a plan and approval at some level to develop the LA market. He's gonna sink a lot of his own cashola into this and not for it to sit empty.
Either he's got another team to fill it, the Rams or a expansion team. How ever he does it he's gonna make a buck of it cause that's what he does.
It's not about the butt's in the seats, it's about market share, TV audience and merchandise.

If it's a power play, hats off to him. Thats a bold move.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Unless Kroenke Has went bat crap crazy, he has a plan and approval at some level to develop the LA market. He's gonna sink a lot of his own cashola into this and not for it to sit empty.
Either he's got another team to fill it, the Rams or a expansion team. How ever he does it he's gonna make a buck of it cause that's what he does.
It's not about the butt's in the seats, it's about market share, TV audience and merchandise.

If it's a power play, hats off to him. Thats a bold move.

Unless I'm mistaken all owners split the TV profits evenly. So even if he was in that market, he wouldn't make more from that. Also, the NFL won't make any more money with him there based on TV market because that market already shows NFL games.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Unless I'm mistaken all owners split the TV profits evenly. So even if he was in that market, he wouldn't make more from that. Also, the NFL won't make any more money with him there based on TV market because that market already shows NFL games.
The league is media driven. It's people on couches. If they can get more viewer ship then bigger TV contracts. He won't make more money, but the league will so his share will be bigger.
Why don't they put a team in Lincoln Nebraska? ?
I have no idea why he wants to move. he plays in ST. Louis for free basically. after a couple years won't sell anymore tickets than here.

He has a plan or it's a bluff. Either way it's interesting.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I looked at some of the issues regarding paying for that stadium and if PSL.s at the dollar amounts stated and corporate boxes in LA are close to accurate, the stadium would be paid for by them! Would be easy peasy to cover league sanctions with available funds! Not stirring the pot as I'm a lifelong St. Louis native and love having the team here! Just have been there/ done this before and will follow the team anyway! Owners suck, however!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not sure how much of this is a power play for leverage and how much MIGHT be Stan moving forward with a plan. My guess is though that Stan is a bit more polished at this whole game than probably every other owner in the league. And I don't say this as any kind of slight against Stan. Regardless of which angle he ends up playing, he is going to get the best facility possible for his business interests and that will also be the best facility for Rams fans.

If Stan can't get a REAL top notch facility in the St Louis area (which I firmly believe is and was his top goal), he will build one in LA. I just don't think he has any desire having his team play in a facility that is not the new envy of the NFL and I also think he intends to one-up Jeruh.

The Amy Trask article is interesting but I don't think that it takes into account that Al Davis and those he surrounded himself with were complete amateurs compared to Stan and his team. This is not some rogue maniac that broke into the league early on and then figured he could simply do whatever he wanted and sue if he couldn't do it. This is a very calculated businessman that has built his billions on development deals, huge negotiations, unfathomable land deals, and later, sports teams.

I'd dare say that Peacock, Blitz, and Nixon are in way over their heads. Stan is silent for a reason. He decides when is the best time to talk and when it suits him to shut up and force the hand. He did it with multi-billionaire Shahid Khan and we all saw how that worked out for Shahid.

I am guessing that Stan already knows exactly what he expects in a facility in St Louis. I am also guessing that he would love to build in St Louis being that he is a native son of Missouri, was the main cog in allowing Georgia to get the deal done, was trying to get an expansion team in St Louis before signing on with Georgia and Shaw, graduated from Mizzou, is named after a St Louis HOFer, is headquartered in Missouri, and has the greatest chance of being Missouri's #1 son and biggest fish EVER - much more so than in California or LA. He'd have to be a Hollywood actor to be #1 there.

Don't think I'm bagging on LA or California either. I grew up there. They are as great of a fan base as any I have been around.

I just wouldn't get too convinced that Stan wants to move the team to CA as much as his latest "machinations" might suggest. But I would suggest that if Stan gets what he is after, the fans of St Louis will not only forgive him but thank him for fighting for something they will always be proud of. It's tough waiting. But I really think it will pay off.

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Last I heard, Chargers' owner Dean Spanos says he believes he has the nine votes to prevent Kroenke from moving (if that's what he intends to do). I heard a lot of stuff about Kroenke doing whatever he wants anyway, even without league approval, but I have a hard time believing he can just go rogue like that.

I don't think that'll happen.

One the NFL has said they want a team there, so they've known about potential moves for a while now. Two, I think that while he says he could get the votes, the NFL would probably tell him he could move in and share it (like the Jets and Giants) in a few years, and that may sway it. I don't know if that's real smart, but they've said they want to do it. Either way, he may back off then. NFC West teams likely support it for travel reasons, lot of other guys won't care, Jerry Jones, who has a lot of pull, has wanted a team there for a very long time, even going on fictional shows talking about wanting it.

As for a leverage move, I don't know about that either. I mean buying the land? Sure that's leverage. Announcing you're working with a firm capable of building it? Sure that is too. But saying you're building a stadium? That's past just leverage in my opinion. So far the evidence shows that Stan is looking to get in on the market. Personally I don't think anyone does themselves a favor by not taking it very seriously, even though it's a touchy subject. Its not guaranteed until its passed and they're going, but trends are certainly indicating.

Maybe it is just a leverage move, but it doesn't seem like one given everything else. I also don't see the NFL standing in his way, or enforcing anything that could force him to stay or give up the team.

As for him saying he would move them no matter what, I don't think that's true either. Theres a lot of speculation going on, and I think writers are throwing everything at the wall so when whatever happens they can say they called it.

Either way, it's going to be interesting watching it all unfold. If it does happen, I just hope that St Louis is able to get another franchise.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Kroenke doesn't think like the average person that lives paycheck to paycheck. This guy is a billionaire, and if he thinks he can make more money in the long term by moving the team to LA, then he will do so, penalties and other difficulties be damned. The net value of the Rams is one of the lowest in the league right now, but by moving it to the larger market, he could double the value of the team almost overnight. And by owning his own stadium, he would make even more profits in the long run. You have to follow the money, and you can see what his plans are.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think it's a brilliant move by Stan.

In short. It looks like he told the World that he isn't going to wait 10 years for a city to get something done. If STL doesn't move seriously and swiftly, he's out.

I don't see him going rogue either. Stan wants to watch a Superbowl from his luxury suite, in his state of the art, shiny new stadium.

If this isn't a leverage play. I believe the league knows more than their admitting. We've seen Stan's work in the past. It's shrewd and deliberate.

Being from so cal, it still isn't easy to be happy. I feel bad for the great fans in STL. I'm a fan and will remain a fan. No matter the outcome.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
What's interesting is the part Shane brought up about where STL comes up w/ a great place for the Rams and Stan continues working on the LA project and then gets a deal for another team to use his stadium out there. That's the kind of angle a real estate guy does. He gets someone else to finance his projects and he just collects the checks.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Kroenke doesn't think like the average person that lives paycheck to paycheck. This guy is a billionaire, and if he thinks he can make more money in the long term by moving the team to LA, then he will do so, penalties and other difficulties be damned. The net value of the Rams is one of the lowest in the league right now, but by moving it to the larger market, he could double the value of the team almost overnight. And by owning his own stadium, he would make even more profits in the long run. You have to follow the money, and you can see what his plans are.

Every owner wants to do that, though. The NFL won't let one owner move just to increase the vale of their franchise. If that was the case NFL cities would be a game of musical chairs as they moved to bigger markets.

The NFL is putting an emphasis of keeping the franchises anchored to one city to build the brand. The NFL as an org is much more than wealth for the owners. They work to set up and maintain a presence in their host cities.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I'd dare say that Peacock, Blitz, and Nixon are in way over their heads. Stan is silent for a reason. He decides when is the best time to talk and when it suits him to shut up and force the hand. He did it with multi-billionaire Shahid Khan and we all saw how that worked out for Shahid.

I don't know about Nixon, but trust me when I say Peacock and Blitz are not over their heads one bit. Peacock has been around the block and from what I understand he had a hand in orchestrating the Rams' move here. From listening to the guys at 101 espn and other stations in the area, this guy knows what he is doing. I've also heard them say that Peacock is "first class" when it comes to his work and they have no doubt that when they make the stadium proposal public it will reflect that. I'm pretty confident that the proposal and artist renderings will knock our socks off if the the big wigs for the NFL are pleased with them.

MrMotes

Starter
I doubt Kroenke goes rogue but according to a Florio article, if he moves without approval, no relocation fee. It's hard to see the owners voting themselves out of such a big chunk of change and maybe Stan wouldn't be so sad if he didn't have to pay it.

I don't know what Kroenke is up to but i figure he probably does...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
A Little more on Peacock for those wondering where he came from.

If you think you’re seeing Dave Peacock’s name everywhere these days, you’re not mistaken.

Two years after stepping down as president of Anheuser-Busch, the 45-year-old St. Louis native has raised more than $100 million for the city’s Gateway Arch grounds redevelopment project. As chairman of the St. Louis Sports Commission, he convinced lawmakers to pass $3 million in tax credits to improve St. Louis’ chances of hosting amateur sporting events. He’s also working behind the scenes to keep the Rams in St. Louis and he’s on the national advisory board for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Ohio. Locally, he has a seat on the boards of the United Way, CityArchRiver 2015, Cardinal Glennon Foundation, Boy Scouts, Ministries@Work, Ronnoco Coffee and Schnuck Markets. Oh, and he’s the local franchisee for the smoothie chain Jamba Juice and a part owner at a gym in Kirkwood that caters to pro athletes.

“If it’s a big impact organization or initiative,Dave Peacock is basically going to be involved,” said Jim Weddle, managing partner at Edward Jones and president of the board of trustees at the United Way of Greater St. Louis.

Known for bridging the gap between A-B’s old and new regimes after its takeover by Belgian brewer InBev, Peacock has become a one-man civic booster, a closer who’s called to get deals done.

He declined to be interviewed, saying he’d rather talk about issues than himself.

“Dave’s a guy you want on the team if you’re tackling something big and important,” Weddle said. “He’s ‘can do,’ highly organized and very well informed.”

A-B’s CACHÉ

The Webster Groves native was a second-generation Anheuser-Busch employee when he joined the brewer in 1992 in the media department. He quickly rose through the ranks and was vice president of marketing before being tapped to lead A-B’s North American operations in 2008. Peacock made a name for himself as he moved up at the historic brewery and that recognition continued in the community after he stepped down as president in January 2012.

The brewery is not his only calling card, said Walter Metcalfe, a Bryan Cave attorney and chairman of CityArchRiver. “People know that his goals are for St. Louis.”

John Mozeliak, general manager of the St. Louis Cardinals and a friend of Peacock’s, said he is “a connector.”

“People that get to that high profile of a position end up gaining access that others might, but I think the key point of this is what you do after that,” he said. “He has the ability to not only bring people together, but bring the right people together.”

MARKETING CHOPS

After resigning his post at A-B, Peacock barely missed a beat before ramping up his civic engagements.

He joined the board of CityArchRiver in early February 2012 and has since raised more than $100 million toward a $250 million goal. “I let him be retired for two weeks,” Metcalfe said.

Where Metcalfe thrives at corralling regulatory agencies and government bodies to the table, Peacock is skilled at understanding the consumer perspective. “He’s thinking about the visitor experience,” Metcalfe said. Other board members said that’s an outgrowth of Peacock’s work at A-B and his extensive marketing talent. David Kemper, chairman and CEO of Commerce Bancshares Inc., who sits on the CityArchRiver board, said Peacock brings “that A-B panache of how you market a product” to the project.

To get out the word about CityArchRiver, Peacock and Carolyn Kindle, executive director of the Enterprise Holdings Foundation, who also sits on the board, have had key suggestions, like installing videos on screens at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport and showing ads at movie theaters. “Dave’s remarkable at seeing how to connect those dots,” Metcalfe said.

RAISING FUNDS

A longtime supporter of the United Way, Peacock has become point person for making calls to high-impact contacts “that drive the success of the campaign,” Weddle said. This year’s campaign, chaired by Cheri and Ron Fromm, chairman of Brown Shoe Co., raised more than $72.25 million.

As head of a small nonprofit, the Foundation for Fighting Blindness, Jason Morrisexperienced Peacock’s impact firsthand. Introduced to Morris by Mozeliak, Peacock was the honoree at FFB’s annual dinner in 2012 along with Suddenlink’s Jerry Kent.

The combination of names on the dais boosted the dinner’s fundraising to $485,000, more than double the $177,000 raised a year earlier. Peacock “was integral in helping us raise as much money as we had ever raised,” Morris said. Peacock remained heavily involved, he said, and is an honorary chair for next year’s dinner in February.

SPORTS CONNECTIONS

For Peacock, sports and business run deep.

A football player at Webster Groves High School, he aspired to write for Sports Illustratedand studied journalism and marketing at the University of Kansas. He works out regularly and is a part owner at the Central Institute for Human Performance in Kirkwood, which caters to pro athletes like retired hockey players Chris Pronger and Keith Tkachuk, Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday and former Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter.

Peacock, who relies more on a smartphone than an actual office, has also been known to take meetings in a second-floor conference room above the gym.

Certainly at Anheuser-Busch, sports and beer went hand in hand. The brewery was among the top three supporters of the St. Louis Sports Commission over the years, said commission President Frank Viverito, who got to know Peacock through the brewery and recruited him to chair the commission in early 2012.

This past spring, Peacock flexed his political muscle in Jefferson City to convince lawmakers to pass $3 million in tax credits to allow Missouri to better compete against other markets when trying to attract sporting events. “I saw it as my obligation to help those guys get this bill passed because it really sets us up in the long term to be competitive,” he told the Business Journal at the time.

Viverito said Peacock’s connections are unmatched.

“Dave can pick up the phone and call the president of ESPN or the commissioner of the NFL or MLB or the CEO of any Civic Progress company in St. Louis,” he said. “In the halls of the Capitol, most people are there going up to legislators and introducing themselves,” he said. “Well, we had legislators coming up to us and introducing themselves to Dave.”

Viverito said Peacock helped to shape the commission’s 30 bids to host NCAAchampionships. Just last week, the NCAA awarded the Division I wrestling championships to St. Louis in 2015 and 2017. The city also will host the women’s gymnastic championships in 2017 and 2018, Division II wrestling in 2015, women’s bowling in 2015 and 2018, and women’s hockey in 2017.

On the pro sports side, Peacock is said to be part of negotiations to keep the Rams in St. Louis.

He has the ear of Gov. Jay Nixon, who took over negotiations with Rams owner Stan Kroenke after the failure of last year’s arbitration between the Rams, the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission, which manages the Dome, and the stadium authority.

Mozeliak said Peacock’s time at A-B gave him a strong grasp of the financial decisions that professional sports teams make. Tom Stillman, CEO of Summit Distributing and co-owner of the St. Louis Blues, said Peacock is somebody who can “bridge gaps” during negotiations because he understands both sides.

“He has taken on some big, big projects,” said Stillman, who sits on the board of CityArchRiver with Peacock. “And he really keeps at ‘em.”

ENTREPRENEURIAL STREAK

In January, Peacock assembled an investor group — including sportscaster Joe Buck and former Saint Louis University basketball star Scott Highmark — to bring 15 Jamba Juice locations to Missouri and Kansas. The first location opened Oct. 2 at the West County Center. While Peacock hasn’t disclosed his investment, the chain’s typical investment range is $353,100 to $639,800 per location.

Peacock is also a member of the investment committee of venture firm Cultivation Capital, with $100 million under management. And he’s an operating partner of Michigan-based private equity firm Huron Capital Partners, which has raised $1.1 billion since 1999. In 2012, Huron acquired St. Louis-based Ronnoco Coffee and set out to double the size of the $60 million company in the next few years.

In April, Peacock joined Ronnoco’s board and he’s an investor in the company, said CEOScott Meader. “He’s got the best Rolodex in St. Louis,” Meader said.

And the former beer exec is quick to make a call, Meader said.

Last year, when the CORTEX research park in midtown St. Louis received approval from the St. Louis Tax Increment Financing Commission, Ronnoco board members were bewildered to see language pertaining to eminent domain in the public documents, since the company’s plant is adjacent to the CORTEX district.

Meader said Peacock stepped out of the meeting, phoned the mayor’s office and returned with the answer that Ronnoco’s property would be untouched. The call “did not reverse the course of destiny,” Meader stressed, but allayed the board’s anxiety and saved the trouble and expense of hiring lawyers.

Six months ago, Schnuck Markets Inc. also tapped Peacock to join its advisory board. President and COO Todd Schnuck said he was interested in mining Peacock’s knowledge not only of the beverage industry but also consumer purchasing.

He said Peacock also helped Schnucks re-focus after this spring’s data breach impacting an estimated 2.4 million customers.

“When you’re dealing with an unusual situation like that, when you can get people to provide perspective on a less emotional basis, it really helps put things in perspective and gives you a great opportunity to really focus on the business,” Schnuck said.

DRIVING BUSINESS

A common thread is Peacock’s focus on spurring growth in the region, which he treats like a full-time job.

Rhonda Hamm-Niebruegge, director of Lambert-St. Louis International Airport, said that a year into her tenure, she received a call from Peacock, inquiring how the business community could help improve the airport.

Now, they meet regularly. Peacock plans to bring one of his Jamba Juice locations to Lambert, and he made the introductions that resulted in a recently announced Magic Houseoutpost planned for Lambert, which he’s also helping to fund.

Peacock also has championed Hamm-Niebruegge’s effort to bring cargo planes to Lambert. “He has a lot of different people around the world that he has connections with,” she said. “Having people with that kind of global connectivity (who can say) if you’ve got five minutes can you listen to this person. That kind of stuff is invaluable.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...ave-peacock-the-go-to-dealmaker.html?page=all

bluecoconuts

Legend
What's interesting is the part Shane brought up about where STL comes up w/ a great place for the Rams and Stan continues working on the LA project and then gets a deal for another team to use his stadium out there. That's the kind of angle a real estate guy does. He gets someone else to finance his projects and he just collects the checks.

I find it hard to believe that he would build a stadium for someone else. Granted he'd still see returns on it, but the cost of the stadium and the returns from renting it to another team would take far too long for him to make any profits on his investment. Again, it doesn't mean it can't happen, it just doesn't make sense for an owner to build a stadium for someone else. Especially when he's putting up his own money (however I think the group he partnered with will put up most of the bill, just a guess though)

Every owner wants to do that, though. The NFL won't let one owner move just to increase the vale of their franchise. If that was the case NFL cities would be a game of musical chairs as they moved to bigger markets.

The NFL is putting an emphasis of keeping the franchises anchored to one city to build the brand. The NFL as an org is much more than wealth for the owners. They work to set up and maintain a presence in their host cities.

I believe the NFL will allow a team to move without following the bylaws if they feel it's in the best interest of the NFL. Given how strong they've pushed for this (including meeting with LA officials over the years) I don't think they would put up too much of a fight. When the Mayor of Inglewood won his election last year, in his victory speech he said he had a meeting with Stan, so the stadium stuff has been in the works for at least since the beginning of the season, and the NFL has known that they've been talking for longer than that.. The stories of the NFL being blindsided are probably close to false. They may not have known he was about to make the announcement, but they certainly knew they were talking and working on something, it hasn't exactly been a secret. For what it's worth the mayor did say he spoke to other team owners as well, but like I said up there, building a stadium for someone else makes very little sense, unless Stan wants to just take losses out of the kindness of his heart, I don't see it.

I think St Louis is playing smart by working with the NFL more than Stan, because I think they're looking to hedge their bets by showing the NFL they're still a good city for a team (and I would agree) so they will allow another team to move there if the Rams leave. Others have touched on that as well, and I agree it's smart. If, and I stress if, Stan really wants to leave, I don't think the NFL can or will try to stop him. So St. Louis needs to do the smart thing and show that they should get one of the other teams having issues and looking to possibly relocate. I don't know if the Chargers would really move, the Jags are a possibility because of the St Louis connection, as well as the Raiders, I think he's pretty serious about it.

Greg Stone

Rookie
Why do you write, "I guess the fact that The Kroenke Group voluntarily released this information days before the local proposal was to come out -- and yes we are talking about "Silent Stan" here --" when the article you cite states that it was the Stockbridge Capital Group that released the information? This group, which owns the land the proposed stadium would actually be built on undoubtedly has it's own set of motivations.

iced

The two key points for me are:

1) "Exhaust all options" before the Rams can relocate.

With a stadium proposal on the table, that's not exhausting all options. With that being said, they can't move til they have.

2)Going Rogue? Yea right

As has been pointed out that Kroenke is a business man, and what that being said, going rogue could allow some penalties to incur - most notably the forfeiture of the team's annual share of the TV revenue (which last year was $200 million for each team) and profits from NFL Merchandising.

Everything I have read keeps saying "annual share" - so that sounds like he'd be giving up on an average of $200-300 million a year...that doesn't sound like a move a smart business man would make, imo.

Unless something changes to either one of these two I'm not worried about the Rams moving

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
The two key points for me are:

1) "Exhaust all options" before the Rams can relocate.

With a stadium proposal on the table, that's not exhausting all options. With that being said, they can't move til they have.

2)Going Rogue? Yea right

As has been pointed out that Kroenke is a business man, and what that being said, going rogue could allow some penalties to incur - most notably the forfeiture of the team's annual share of the TV revenue (which last year was $200 million for each team) and profits from NFL Merchandising.

Everything I have read keeps saying "annual share" - so that sounds like he'd be giving up on an average of $200-300 million a year...that doesn't sound like a move a smart business man would make, imo.

Unless something changes to either one of these two I'm not worried about the Rams moving
As to point #2, that is such a draconian measure that I doubt anyone would go rogue. That is so much money that they would forfeit that there is no way a team could make any money at all. In fact whatever profit Stan might make by his team being worth more by going to LA would be quickly lost in around 4-5 years.

I also highly, highly doubt the NFL would allow Kroenke to move the Rams if there is a viable stadium especially when Oakland and San Diego have had such a hard time getting their own. It just sets up a bad precedent. But then, who knows what the NFL is thinking

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A huge thank you to CGI, Prime Time and all the moderators for allowing this to be read (as always) and also to be commented up and discussed. I am grateful beyond words.

SG

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great stuff, Shane. I, for one, have always been one that thinks that Silent Stan has been silent and is making these moves to intimidate and get the best possible deal in STL. I may be completely wrong in that thinking, but if he ever came out and said, "I'm fully committed to keeping the Rams in St. Louis and getting a deal done"... he loses all leverage. As you mentioned in your article, many other owners have used the threat of a move to LA to get what they want and it's worked... we'll see.
Great points and that's very possible. Thanks for the kind comments as well. Very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.