New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyl711

Starter
Demoff essentially confirmed he is indeed looking to move to LA with his recent interviews, so I'd say that issue is settled. Yes, it could all be a bluff, but when someone keeps telling you something I think you start to listen.

I like the stadium, but would like it more with squared off video screens. The fly through had videos playing and the heads were cut off. While it may be easier to do it with them full size, I get the feeling it won't be. I love the rest of the stadium then.

His options on that land is actually a bit limited, I believe if not the stadium there will be more houses/apartments or something like that. He does have options though, I never said he didn't. And yes the money is peanuts to him, but what is he getting? Since Inglewood he's seen his deal in St Louis stay the same, or maybe even get worse.

Its still the same type of stadium, so maybe he likes that, so that's cool. But he's not owning or operating it (which he seems to like), his cost has either stayed the same, or seemingly gone up. So why keep pushing? St Louis isn't really giving anything else up it seems, and it's not like if he pulls out from LA St Louis is going to go "hahahaha, now we will change it all and you get nothing!"

If its a bluff it doesn't seem to be doing much for him, and everyone talks about how good of a negotiator Stan is. He may not end up in LA, but it's a real option for him.
KD was quoted as saying its just as likely that the Rams are in St Louis in 16 as it is that they are in LA, how is that him saying that they are looking to move to LA? sounds to me like he is saying even they aren't sure yet.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Wow Isiah. I can't believe the gap in my thinking with regard to Stan blocking their move. In the famous words of Homer Simpson, DOH!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The stuff I find positively hysterical is when people try to break down which deal is more financially lucrative to Stan.

HOW WOULD ANY OF US KNOW??????????????

Do you have the market research on both ends? Because I sure don't.

Read the Santa Clara numbers and find your own conclusions. LA has twice as many people and many big companies.

Take your own advice. Don't delve into that discussion. You'd first have to know how the STL profits will be split. Does Stan get a deal comparable to what he has now?

iced

I understand when people take me to task for saying I know Stan wants to move. I get it. Doesn't change my viewpoint, obviously.

The stuff I find positively hysterical is when people try to break down which deal is more financially lucrative to Stan.

Read the Santa Clara numbers and find your own conclusions. LA has twice as many people and many big companies.

you don't have to be a mathematician to know there's more TV Revenue in being in LA AND St.Louis, as opposed to just LA.

Just as you believe the Rams are definitely moving to LA, I don't see any benefit in leaving a perfectly good market. With Raiders and Chagers in LA,you capitalize on the LA market and some of the San Diego. SF maintains the bay area so they're not "losing" that market. And the Rams stay in St.Louis, another market for TV Revenue (Their biggest source of revenue that ALL owners share)

And there's no way in hell I see Davis or Spanos wanting to move out here - Davis can't do anything without the Chargers or on his own (Can't afford it), and I don't believe for a second the Charger's are leaving The SoCal area.

Not to mention neither of those cities are ponying up like St.Louis - which is another reason why I don't see the owners approving a move, especially if the Carson project looks viable.

Dick84

Take your own advice. Don't delve into that discussion. You'd first have to know how the STL profits will be split. Does Stan get a deal comparable to what he has now?

Ummmm.... I do. Others have posted that Stl would be more profitable... I was pointing out we have no idea and providing a way to gain a little insight.
So...
Again....
WE DON'T KNOW.
Stan has an idea, I'd guess...

Dick84

you don't have to be a mathematician to know there's more TV Revenue in being in LA AND St.Louis, as opposed to just LA.

Just as you believe the Rams are definitely moving to LA, I don't see any benefit in leaving a perfectly good market. With Raiders and Chagers in LA,you capitalize on the LA market and some of the San Diego. SF maintains the bay area so they're not "losing" that market. And the Rams stay in St.Louis, another market for TV Revenue (Their biggest source of revenue that ALL owners share)

And there's no way in hell I see Davis or Spanos wanting to move out here - Davis can't do anything without the Chargers or on his own (Can't afford it), and I don't believe for a second the Charger's are leaving The SoCal area.

Not to mention neither of those cities are ponying up like St.Louis - which is another reason why I don't see the owners approving a move, especially if the Carson project looks viable.

Omg...
"Just as you believe the Rams are definitely moving to LA..."

Nevermind... I'll discuss with people who actually read what I post, not ones that make stuff up.
Oh.. and you're wrong on the TV revenue.. it's already set in the national contracts and, believe it or not, people already watch NFL games in LA.

tonyl711

Starter
Demoff essentially confirmed he is indeed looking to move to LA with his recent interviews, so I'd say that issue is settled. Yes, it could all be a bluff, but when someone keeps telling you something I think you start to listen.

I like the stadium, but would like it more with squared off video screens. The fly through had videos playing and the heads were cut off. While it may be easier to do it with them full size, I get the feeling it won't be. I love the rest of the stadium then.

His options on that land is actually a bit limited, I believe if not the stadium there will be more houses/apartments or something like that. He does have options though, I never said he didn't. And yes the money is peanuts to him, but what is he getting? Since Inglewood he's seen his deal in St Louis stay the same, or maybe even get worse.

Its still the same type of stadium, so maybe he likes that, so that's cool. But he's not owning or operating it (which he seems to like), his cost has either stayed the same, or seemingly gone up. So why keep pushing? St Louis isn't really giving anything else up it seems, and it's not like if he pulls out from LA St Louis is going to go "hahahaha, now we will change it all and you get nothing!"

If its a bluff it doesn't seem to be doing much for him, and everyone talks about how good of a negotiator Stan is. He may not end up in LA, but it's a real option for him.
how is the deal in St Louis the same or maybe even worse since Inglewood? your reaching here dude, before Inglewood there wasn't much talk of a stadium in St Louis, since Inglewood there has been a task force formed who has a new stadium on the fast track, they have gotten assurances from unions, have started acquiring the land, have hired a few consulting firms, have named the stadium builders, yet you say our situation is the same or worse????

bluecoconuts

Legend
That article was also directly from the task force - and I haven't seen anything that asks for more than $200 or $250 from Kroenke. Which is why I pointed out when you were trying to do the math for the bonds...

and I think I know what article you were talking about - which another key point, the bonds weren't $405.. It was $400 to $500 million, or so that article's guess was

It's not who the article was from, it was that it was from January. The situation has changed quite a bit, both from the financial side of things (taking the county out of it) to the stadium design and cost. There hasn't really been much else on how much it's estimated to cost, but I just remember the article saying that the public will cover about 400 million. I don't think it was about bonds, I think it was the bonds and PSL's combined, but I'll have to check. Either way, Stan needs to pay at least half of it, probably more.

t's a terrible comparison. Why? Because how many other owners are in real estate like stan? Completely changes the playing field

I'm not sure, but I know Spanos did, as did Zygi Wilf, the owner of the Vikings. Coincidentally the two owners who have most recently tried to use LA as leverage. So why didn't Wilf purchase land, why did it take Inglewood for Spanos to look into purchasing land (which he hasn't yet). Plus every owner is capable of doing what Stan has done so far, and they all have the ability to create it into something to make a profit, So why didn't they go that route?

Because this strategy had success before with arbitration? No.

Hence leverage - while also helping solving 2 fellow owners fix their stadium issues. Lot of people like to theorize that the owners talk a lot behind closed doors - better believe this has been brought up if that's the case.

Again, collectively whats best for all 32.

So Stan is going to spend million of dollars just to help out two owners who don't need his help? The NFL isn't going to let LA sit without a team, they've said that already and neither San Diego or Oakland looks close to solving the stadium issues. The only thing Stan did was get Spanos to get off his ass and actually make a move. He didn't need to purchase a thing to do that, especially if they're all working together behind the scenes. At this point he would also be able to back away from Inglewood if that was simply the case.

I beg to differ on the profits - every team evenly splits the TV revenue and ticket sales are split 60/40 to home/away team...And that TV revenue is the one of the biggest sources, if not the biggest, of revenue for the NFL.

You really think the owners are going collectively do whats best for one business man instead of 32? Let Alone Kroenke himself? Please.

By owning and operating the stadium and the land he can use it for other events (basketball, concerts, college bowls, etc) and make money from there. He can't do that in St Louis, so it directly cuts into potential profits for him. Stan typically owns and operates his teams stadiums, hence the point of him wanting to own it. This helps him maximize his profits.

stadium cost: 985
985 - 480 = 505. take out the G4 loan, which is $200 to $250, and kroenke ends up paying $305 or $255.

G4 loan is paid back by the team, so I include that. So the bonds are paying for 350 million. PSL is covering the St Louis cost, NOT the owner cost, so that's 130 million that could be his no isn't, So essentially St Louis is agreeing to pay for 350 million of a billion dollar stadium (and with how it's set up, according to the legislature can end up not being able to pay for it if they don't budget it), and the rest comes from Stan either directly, or from a loan he is obligated to pay back, or money that he could have himself. The Task Force is going to frame it to make it appear as if they are asking for very little from him, but Stan isn't an idiot, and he'll know exactly what the numbers that the city/state are paying for, and what they aren't. How much that matters, I don't know, but if he wants a certain thing and the city wont give it to him, I don't see why he agrees.

This is soooooo NOT true. Demoff continues to hedge his bets, parse each word he uses, and obfuscate by various means those things that DO seem to come out relatively clearly. He is the ultimate #2 Man in the Organization -- doing just what his handler (#1 Man) wants him to do, and doing it in such a way that his audience, be it in LA or STL, is left to wonder what in the hell does he REALLY mean?

I'm telling you, no one can know if Stan truly wants to move to LA. The ONLY person who can possibly know this is Stan himself, and, perhaps, Mrs. Stan. And I'm not too sure he's even told her what he's thinking or up to in this regard.

For all intents and purposes -- and this is crucial to today's situation -- DEMOFF MAY ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT STAN TRULY DOES WANT TO MOVE.

But I reiterate: Does that mean that Stan wants to move?

Or, is Stan doing what is best for Stan's best interests by keeping Demoff out of this loop so that he has plausible deniability of Stan's real intention of remaining in St. Louis??

Or, and I still believe that this really is the case, are Demoff and Stan in this plot up to their eyebrows? With BOTH of them knowing that Stan wants to stay?

I tend toward believing the latter because Demoff, after all, did say, "Things are going to get a LOT worse (regarding the Rams and the stadium situation) before they get better." And Demoff said that NOT to a LA sports or business reporter, but to a STL reporter. As if he were advising the reporter to 'batten down the hatches, tough sailing ahead.'

And yet despite the dire warning he did finish up with this: "BEFORE they get BETTER!"

And what could be better than keeping the Rams here in a spiffy new stadium??

Sorry, I just don't see why Stan is going to lie to a bunch of his people with his true intentions that he is having them work on a project. I can see him lying to the public, I can see him lying to political officials, but I don't see the benefits of lying to Demoff. I also have trouble placing a lot of stock in things a lot of the different people say, including Demoff. Don't get me wrong, I like him, I don't think he's a bad guy, but his job is to ultimately make money for Kroenke, and he'll say what's needed. They wont burn any bridges in St Louis until they know they have a go ahead to LA. If they never get that go ahead then they will stay. But I just don't see anything to me that indicates they aren't willing and looking to move. It doesn't make sense to me, and in my opinion it seems far fetched to assume that's the case. It is getting worse, and it may get better, but we don't know what "better" is. Is it that the Rams stay? Is it that St Louis gets another team that signs a nice long lease? We don't know.

KD was quoted as saying its just as likely that the Rams are in St Louis in 16 as it is that they are in LA, how is that him saying that they are looking to move to LA? sounds to me like he is saying even they aren't sure yet.

That means there's a 50/50 shot they stay or go. If they half a 50 percent chance of moving, where are they moving to? LA. Therefore they are looking at a move to LA.

how is the deal in St Louis the same or maybe even worse since Inglewood? your reaching here dude, before Inglewood there wasn't much talk of a stadium in St Louis, since Inglewood there has been a task force formed who has a new stadium on the fast track, they have gotten assurances from unions, have started acquiring the land, have hired a few consulting firms, have named the stadium builders, yet you say our situation is the same or worse????

No, it hasn't changed much from when they first gave us updated renders, and the financing has gotten fuzzier. NOT since Inglewood, since the updated renders a few months ago. They first came out with drawings in January, then a few weeks later a new updated look that was rendered, then we saw more stuff yesterday. The leap between the first set and the second set was noticeable, the difference between the second set and what we saw yesterday was not.

iced

Omg...
"Just as you believe the Rams are definitely moving to LA..."

Nevermind... I'll discuss with people who actually read what I post, not ones that make stuff up.
Oh.. and you're wrong on the TV revenue.. it's already set in the national contracts and, believe it or not, people already watch NFL games in LA.
did you not say multiple times "I know Stan definitely wants to move to LA"

Dick84

did you not say multiple times "I know Stan definitely wants to move to LA"

Did I ever say "The Rams are definitely moving to LA"?
Not once.
There are still possibilities that he doesn't end up there. Nothing like the effort we see in Stl right now was going on when he bought the land and hired his architects last year.
Does he want to fight? Do his lawyers think he could win a fight? How sure are they? What's it worth?
There are questions about how this ends up. There's no question that Stan wants to move.

iced

By owning and operating the stadium and the land he can use it for other events (basketball, concerts, college bowls, etc) and make money from there. He can't do that in St Louis, so it directly cuts into potential profits for him. Stan typically owns and operates his teams stadiums, hence the point of him wanting to own it. This helps him maximize his profits.

I'm not so sure he doesn't get any profits from it - that doesn't make any sense from an investment stand point... and there other uses for the stadium - soccer, concerts, etc. I'm sure he gets a smaller portion of that.

Wouldn't make any sense if he didn't get anything from it

G4 loan is paid back by the team, so I include that. So the bonds are paying for 350 million. PSL is covering the St Louis cost, NOT the owner cost, so that's 130 million that could be his no isn't, So essentially St Louis is agreeing to pay for 350 million of a billion dollar stadium (and with how it's set up, according to the legislature can end up not being able to pay for it if they don't budget it), and the rest comes from Stan either directly, or from a loan he is obligated to pay back, or money that he could have himself. The Task Force is going to frame it to make it appear as if they are asking for very little from him, but Stan isn't an idiot, and he'll know exactly what the numbers that the city/state are paying for, and what they aren't. How much that matters, I don't know, but if he wants a certain thing and the city wont give it to him, I don't see why he agrees.
Bonds are $450 million, someone posted it i think the last page. $450 and I think $130 or $150 for PSLs.. So they're looking to the NFL for the last $385/$405, before the G4 Loan.

tonyl711

Starter
I understand when people take me to task for saying I know Stan wants to move. I get it. Doesn't change my viewpoint, obviously.

there are a wide variety of variables that none of us have a clue about, I know a lot of us have ourselves convinced how this will play out, but the truth is unless your attending these owners meetings or talking to Stan yourself all you can have is an opinion, nothing is fact right now.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
By owning and operating the stadium and the land he can use it for other events (basketball, concerts, college bowls, etc) and make money from there. He can't do that in St Louis, so it directly cuts into potential profits for him. Stan typically owns and operates his teams stadiums, hence the point of him wanting to own it. This helps him maximize his profits./QUOTE]

Actually, the Rams get a healthy cut of all concessions in the dome on non-Rams events.

To say he can't get that in St. Louis is inaccurate now and is putting the cart before the horse for the future.

tonyl711

Starter
It's not who the article was from, it was that it was from January. The situation has changed quite a bit, both from the financial side of things (taking the county out of it) to the stadium design and cost. There hasn't really been much else on how much it's estimated to cost, but I just remember the article saying that the public will cover about 400 million. I don't think it was about bonds, I think it was the bonds and PSL's combined, but I'll have to check. Either way, Stan needs to pay at least half of it, probably more.

I'm not sure, but I know Spanos did, as did Zygi Wilf, the owner of the Vikings. Coincidentally the two owners who have most recently tried to use LA as leverage. So why didn't Wilf purchase land, why did it take Inglewood for Spanos to look into purchasing land (which he hasn't yet). Plus every owner is capable of doing what Stan has done so far, and they all have the ability to create it into something to make a profit, So why didn't they go that route?

So Stan is going to spend million of dollars just to help out two owners who don't need his help? The NFL isn't going to let LA sit without a team, they've said that already and neither San Diego or Oakland looks close to solving the stadium issues. The only thing Stan did was get Spanos to get off his ass and actually make a move. He didn't need to purchase a thing to do that, especially if they're all working together behind the scenes. At this point he would also be able to back away from Inglewood if that was simply the case.

Sorry, I just don't see why Stan is going to lie to a bunch of his people with his true intentions that he is having them work on a project. I can see him lying to the public, I can see him lying to political officials, but I don't see the benefits of lying to Demoff. I also have trouble placing a lot of stock in things a lot of the different people say, including Demoff. Don't get me wrong, I like him, I don't think he's a bad guy, but his job is to ultimately make money for Kroenke, and he'll say what's needed. They wont burn any bridges in St Louis until they know they have a go ahead to LA. If they never get that go ahead then they will stay. But I just don't see anything to me that indicates they aren't willing and looking to move. It doesn't make sense to me, and in my opinion it seems far fetched to assume that's the case. It is getting worse, and it may get better, but we don't know what "better" is. Is it that the Rams stay? Is it that St Louis gets another team that signs a nice long lease? We don't know.

That means there's a 50/50 shot they stay or go. If they half a 50 percent chance of moving, where are they moving to? LA. Therefore they are looking at a move to LA.

No, it hasn't changed much from when they first gave us updated renders, and the financing has gotten fuzzier. NOT since Inglewood, since the updated renders a few months ago. They first came out with drawings in January, then a few weeks later a new updated look that was rendered, then we saw more stuff yesterday. The leap between the first set and the second set was noticeable, the difference between the second set and what we saw yesterday was not.
ok, by your way of thinking theres a 50 50 chance so that means he wants to stay in St Louis (works both ways).
and if your seriously trying to say that the St Louis stadium effort has done nothing since the first renderings, your trying not to see the progress. I mean listen to everyone in the NFL who talks about the St Louis stadium plan and they all say how fast it is moving along and talk about the good work being done, are they all lying? I don't think they are.

Dick84

there are a wide variety of variables that none of us have a clue about, I know a lot of us have ourselves convinced how this will play out, but the truth is unless your attending these owners meetings or talking to Stan yourself all you can have is an opinion, nothing is fact right now.

Someone can tell you something and you "know" it, but they may be lying. There are always limitations, unless you're inside someone else's actual mind.

I know Stan wants to move based on the sum of information available.

It's a reasonable and logical conclusion- Stan wants to move.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Someone can tell you something and you "know" it, but they may be lying. There are always limitations, unless you're inside someone else's actual mind.

I know Stan wants to move based on the sum of information available.

It's a reasonable and logical conclusion- Stan wants to move.
I thought so too at least initially. But the more I think about it I'm becoming suspicious that Stan wanted this for leverage...which he got in spades

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm not so sure he doesn't get any profits from it - that doesn't make any sense from an investment stand point... and there other uses for the stadium - soccer, concerts, etc. I'm sure he gets a smaller portion of that.

Wouldn't make any sense if he didn't get anything from it

Last I heard it's all owned by the Stadium Authority/City, and that's who gets to profit from it. I remember when they were first discussing things, that was one of the selling points for using public funds, that they would get all that extra stuff. It stuck with me, because the initial plan sounded like they were compensating for getting bent over the table 20 years ago, and trying to bend Stan some, and I thought it wasn't a good move. I'll have to look when I get home tonight to see if I can find an old article there, but it seemed to indicate almost all revenue generated from the stadium went to the city.

Bonds are $450 million, someone posted it i think the last page. $450 and I think $130 or $150 for PSLs.. So they're looking to the NFL for the last $385/$405, before the G4 Loan.

That was just from the numbers from the article that you posted. It's probably less now because they took the county out of it, so 350 might be closer than not.

Actually, the Rams get a healthy cut of all concessions in the dome on non-Rams events.

To say he can't get that in St. Louis is inaccurate now and is putting the cart before the horse for the future.

Right now he does, with the sweetheart deal. He doesn't get that with the riverfront, at least not at this point to my understanding.

ok, by your way of thinking theres a 50 50 chance so that means he wants to stay in St Louis (works both ways).
and if your seriously trying to say that the St Louis stadium effort has done nothing since the first renderings, your trying not to see the progress. I mean listen to everyone in the NFL who talks about the St Louis stadium plan and they all say how fast it is moving along and talk about the good work being done, are they all lying? I don't think they are.

Well yeah, that's what 50/50 means. Which is better than what a lot of reporters are saying, including St Louis reporters with numbers closer to 40% they stay, 60% they leave.

And I'm not saying that St Louis isn't making progress, especially from the first proposal until now, I don't know why you keep hanging on that. I'm saying that between the second and third "releases" there wasn't a significant facelift in the stadium. Therefore changes were made on details. Once you get to that level, you don't expect anymore major changes really, it's about hammering out details. If they're just hammering out details why maintain Inglewood. If he needs to keep Inglewood there for leverage then it's basically suggesting that either the stadium that they issues now isn't close enough to what he wants, or that the Task Force is going to reverse on everything.

I don't really see it, other than leverage to get a better deal in terms of owning and operating the stadium and the land. The problem is you can't really give him the land, that's a really hard sell to the public, and unlikely to fly. Having him own and operate the stadium is also a difficult sell, because it's a major backtrack on all the "We're going to build this for the city, and use the funds to help the city, etc etc" that they've been pitching throughout. I don't know how much wiggle room, if any, there is there, and that might be a major sticking point to Stan. I don't see where Inglewood helps at all at this point. I can see how it was useful in the past, but where we are right now, Stan would be better off working closely with St Louis to maximize his deal there, rather than pushing Inglewood still. There's an expiration date on leverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.