I’ve got a feeling about Snead in this draft...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think there's two keys really in this draft...

First, the edge OLB position has to have talented added. Further you go in the draft the harder it is to find good pass rushers, the types who can have impact for you. It's the most critical part of our draft so I presume it's going to get focused & addressed right out the gate whether it's in round 3 or a trade-up.

Second, they need to get a good project OT type if one they like crosses their draft spot. Unlikely as that is with this crappy OT class, where teams are going to be reaching for dudes they want, it's something they will undoubtedly keep an eye on. Again I don't think they'll get value at the position so I don't expect it to happen, so hopefully we will see them sign Havenstein at the least before camp starts.

The ability of Wade and his staff to develop raw or overlooked ILBs is a huge advantage for us. I expect we'll see them add some pieces and maybe in bulk with the plan of letting them duke it out for depth chart spots and pray they find a starter. I'm guessing at least one draft pick at ILB plus aggressive push on UDFAs at the position.

So expectations overall are a pass rusher at the top they like, followed by ILB and OL types with some other value picks mixed in.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But if it means getting the LB they really want, it would be worth a free Tevon that doesn't see that much of the field.

Yeah I think the Rams would move Tavon in a heartbeat even for a minor move-up for a player they like. The problem in the "moving Tavon concept" is that no team is going to attach very much value to him. Now that the league has seen his problems continue under a top offensive staff, you're not going to get very much in trade for him really. So the greatest value at this point is probably hoping he bounces back in camp and improves in his route running and catching.

Rams should have moved him before McVay's first season IMO. Recoup value while the rest of the league still wasn't sure whether his play was related to poor coordination and usage. Sadly that ship has sailed.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
IMO if anything a strong draft drives the costs up to move into the 2nd and 3rd rounds because the players there are better. The value of day 3 picks would drop.
Only until whatever the number of clearly superior players are gone. The value changes once the players at some point in the third round or so start to become a tossup. They are then not worth a big premium over those in the fourth. I have heard that comment made several times that this is a deep draft, especially at lb; if so, the Rams are well positioned.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only until whatever the number of clearly superior players are gone. The value changes once the players at some point in the third round or so start to become a tossup. They are then not worth a big premium over those in the fourth. I have heard that comment made several times that this is a deep draft, especially at lb; if so, the Rams are well positioned.
Possibly but we all know each team has different values and grades on the players. It could end in the 3rd it might end at the start of the 5th. I think we'll be able in the 4th to get a starter at LB in the 3rd and 4th we'll get a couple OLine that will provide depth and become long term starters and I think we could also get an Edge in there. Which is why I don't get this fascination for trading those picks away for 1 player.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Hey, I would not be surprised if he is sitting at 87, and likes 4 or 5 guys, that he bumps down a few picks for a late 5. Then pavkage the 5 and a late 4 to move up into mid round 4.

I could see moves like that.... try to improve the overall value of your draft board. Maybe drop a,few on the 3rd to essentially move up in the 4th Then maybe a couple 6ths get you in the mid 5th.

Try to get more picks between 90 and 150...

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Yeah I think the Rams would move Tavon in a heartbeat even for a minor move-up for a player they like.

Why trading Tavon adds no financial value, paying for a player who's not on the team. Yes he takes up a roster spot but 100% of his pay this year is now used in the Cap. I'm betting there is a no trade clause in there.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Why trading Tavon adds no financial value, paying for a player who's not on the team. Yes he takes up a roster spot but 100% of his pay this year is now used in the Cap. I'm betting there is a no trade clause in there.
Yeah, the reality is paying another guy for his spot would be an additional $600k of a cap hit.

RamWoodie

Legend
Count me with all who are looking for LBs because to play a 34 defense effectively the Rams have to be better at LB...ESPECIALLY with Ogletree gone!

This is what's on the roster now:
Mark Barron
Samson Ebukam
Bryce Hagar
Cory Littlejohn
Ejaun Price
Garrett Sickels
Carlos Thompson
Ramik Wilson

dang

Legend
There will be a number of potential ILB/Edge starters in round 3. Round 4 will still have some good prospects but probably need some time to develop (e.g Ebukam).

dang

Legend
I wouldn't mind a trade up to early 3rd round if round 2 has a run on ILB/EDGE prospects.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I’m having a hard time predicting what Snead will do.

According to this article below, Snead has made 13 “draft pick(s) for draft pick(s)” trades: 8 to move down, 5 to move up. So he’s more likely to trade down, but this year I think he’s more likely to move up, in either round 3 or 4.

Notable moves up: For Goff and TA. One hit, one miss. Three minor moves up: for Zac Stacy in 5th, L Joyner in 2nd, and Ebukam in 4th. Three hits.

I’ll guess they make a move up for Griffin. Underrated talent, feel-good story, yet another way to sell tix. And Griffin’s twin is a real solid player.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...raft-los-angeles-rams-les-snead-trade-history

Last edited:

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
My prediction is Shaquem Griffin. LA loves the headlines and the story, he's definitely got talent and a chip on his shoulder. I'm not sure how "I" feel about it. But that's my guess.

I hope that we take the best LB's or OL's for each pick to fully focus on needs and add much needed (my biggest concern) of depth on the line

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Count me with all who are looking for LBs because to play a 34 defense effectively the Rams have to be better at LB...ESPECIALLY with Ogletree gone!

This is what's on the roster now:
Mark Barron
Samson Ebukam
Bryce Hagar
Cory Littlejohn
Ejaun Price
Garrett Sickels
Carlos Thompson
Ramik Wilson
I'm sorry but with how poorly Ogletree graded out as far as linebackers go this last year, getting rid of him is addition by subtraction.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
My prediction is Shaquem Griffin. LA loves the headlines and the story, he's definitely got talent and a chip on his shoulder. I'm not sure how "I" feel about it. But that's my guess.

I hope that we take the best LB's or OL's for each pick to fully focus on needs and add much needed (my biggest concern) of depth on the line
I'm all for it if he's there with one of our last two picks of the fourth round. Our first two picks can't be that much of a gamble.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm all for it if he's there with one of our last two picks of the fourth round. Our first two picks can't be that much of a gamble.
I dont think Griffen is any bigger of a gamble than any other player in the back half of 3rd round or later.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I dont think Griffen is any bigger of a gamble than any other player in the back half of 3rd round or later.
The reason I consider a very slight more a gamble is, although he had success tackling and shedding blocks at the collegiate level with one hand, you can't be certain that he could do the same in the faster and bigger league of the NFL.

Having said that, I would have no problem with the Rams drafting Shaquem with one of their first two picks of the draft. In fact I've been hoping the Rams will draft him, as I really like his motor, his smarts and his heart. I guess I'm just trying to see it from a GM's point of view.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The reason I consider a very slight more a gamble is, although he had success tackling and shedding blocks at the collegiate level with one hand, you can't be certain that he could do the same in the faster and bigger league of the NFL.

Having said that, I would have no problem with the Rams drafting Shaquem with one of their first two picks of the draft. In fact I've been hoping the Rams will draft him, as I really like his motor, his smarts and his heart. I guess I'm just trying to see it from a GM's point of view.

I get it.