I know I know nobody has ever thought about this topic, but why did we pick Robinson over...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As far as drafting a possible cornerstone left tackle, I believe it was a good idea. They understand the need for that. The problem is, they picked a guy who wasn't the guy they hoped for. I don't think he's Jason Smith part II. At least he stays healthy. But I'm not sure he'll ever be the guy they thought they would get.

I don't see them admitting a mistake and moving him inside, but I feel that would be the only way to salvage a number two overall pick. Maybe he won't be a bust because he can stay on the field and he can run block. But he's a huge disappointment because at times he's a liability in pass protection.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Same reason we drafted Alex Barron over Aaron Rodgers (2005), Tye Hill over Antonio Cromartie (2006), Adam Carrier over Dwayne Bowe (2007), Jason Smith over well anyone in 2009 - it just happens :p

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
All the players drafted are only signed for four years so no team knows if they will resign them to another contract. I never liked the four year deals for 1st round picks.

To be honest it is better than it was. A few years ago JRob would have gotten 5 year deal at about 70mil. I get that 4 years in theory gives the player and the team some time - player will get paid (unless they REALLY blow it) and team has time to get production out of them before they hit FA. The money is much more reasonable now and doesn't cripple a team if the pick misses (it is bad enough missing a major pick, but the salary cap hell some of those picks could cause was unreasonable).

Ram65

Legend
To be honest it is better than it was. A few years ago JRob would have gotten 5 year deal at about 70mil. I get that 4 years in theory gives the player and the team some time - player will get paid (unless they REALLY blow it) and team has time to get production out of them before they hit FA. The money is much more reasonable now and doesn't cripple a team if the pick misses (it is bad enough missing a major pick, but the salary cap hell some of those picks could cause was unreasonable).

I was just talking about the length of the contract. Many posters where commenting and concerned that the Rams only have him (GRob) for four years as his development has been slow. I understand the money part. I understand the trade off in the contract. I still don't like the four year deal. The NFL screwed it up in the previous contract.

Looking at Sammy Watkins stuck in Buffalo. Jim Kelly loves Buffalo but I don't know about Watkins. He is from warmer climates. The Bills may resign. They most likely would have to go hard and early. Drafting and keep players is just harder to do now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Watkins_(American_football)#High_school_career

It will be interesting to see who stays and who moves on in this draft class.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I was just talking about the length of the contract. Many posters where commenting and concerned that the Rams only have him (GRob) for four years as his development has been slow. I understand the money part. I understand the trade off in the contract. I still don't like the four year deal. The NFL screwed it up in the previous contract.

Looking at Sammy Watkins stuck in Buffalo. Jim Kelly loves Buffalo but I don't know about Watkins. He is from warmer climates. The Bills may resign. They most likely would have to go hard and early. Drafting and keep players is just harder to do now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Watkins_(American_football)#High_school_career

It will be interesting to see who stays and who moves on in this draft class.

Would you go with shorter contracts or longer?

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Do note that teams can extend contracts at the end of the 3rd year (Rams did this with Quinn) or can assert a 5th year option at that point (Rams did this with Brockers).

Here is an article on it: note that I believe the values are for last year as the article was done then...

Interesting to note that Donalds 5th year would be on the lower side since he was a #13 pick (when it comes up after this year), where Austin (who would have to be decided this offseason) or Robison (who comes up with Donald next year) would be on the higher end as they are top 10 picks...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...fifth-year-options-for-2012-first-round-picks