I know I know nobody has ever thought about this topic, but why did we pick Robinson over...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I studied the 2014 draft like no other. I slogged thru hundreds of hours of game film. I prayed the Rams would either draft Bortles, Watkins, or Khalil Mack, OR ( And this is what I really wanted!) I wanted the Rams to trade our # 2 down to get either WR. Mike Evans or O'dell Beckam Jr. plus a late first round pick. I loved the Aaron Donald pick ( I cheered, but I booed Robinson, even though Robinson is my last name. I am a Robinson. I slurred and booed my surname}

in 2014 Clowney and Robinson were picked 1 and 2. Can you spot the irony? After that Bortles, Sammy Watkins, Khalil Mack, Jake Mathews, Mike Evans, Justin Gilbert (Bust so far), Anthony Barr, TE Eric Ebron, Taylor Lewan, Aaron Donald...

18 of the first 21 2014 draft picks rock! Except for #1 Clowney (Injuries could be the problem) ,
#2Robinson ( Project) and #8Justin Gilbert( The Cleveland Brown Curse).

Hate me, Tell me about 20/20 hindsight but I prayed hard in 2014 that we would trade #2 Robinson pick down for a 1st round "7-11" pick plus a late first rounder to a very early 2nd round pick. Then draft either Evans or Beckham , then BAP , then best available receiver. Why? Because the 2014 draft was/will be/ always will be the best draft ever for Wide Receivers! And we didn't draft ( I wasn't the only soul on RamsonDemand who thought along these lines) You know who you are. I'm look at you Mack.

We could have come out with these 3 picks in a row ( Mike Evans or O'dell Beckham Jr) , Aaron Donald, the either ( Brandon Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, or Jordan Mathews)....We would be in the playoffs!

Maybe you say, I'm Monday morning QB'ing. But I thought it was obvious. Trade down, then with our 1st 3 picks, Draft 2 WR's and BPA in 2014.

I screamed in pain when we drafted Robinson. Now Greg Robinson part of the Ramily, I accept him and hope for the best. Yet, I get depressed when thinking of what might have been.

A few of the Wide Receivers drafted in the first 2 rounds of 2014. Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, O'dell Beckham Jr. , Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, Jordan Mathews, Kelvin Benjamin, Brandin Cooks. I

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I studied the 2014 draft like no other. I slogged thru hundreds of hours of game film. I prayed the Rams either draft Bortles, Watkins, or Khalil Mack, or ( And this is what I really wanted!) I wanted the Rams to trade our # 2 down to get either WR. Mike Evans or O'dell Beckam Jr. plus a late first round pick. I loved the Aaron Donald pick ( I cheered, but I booed Robinson, even though Robinson is my last name. I am a Robinson. I slurred and booed my surname}

in 2014 Clowney and Robinson were picked 1 and 2. Can you spot the irony? After that Bortles, Sammy Watkins, Khalil Mack, Jake Mathews, Mike Evans, Justin Gilbert (Bust so far), Anthony Barr, TE Eric Ebron, Taylor Lewan, Aaron Donald...

18 of the first 21 2014 draft picks rock! Except for #1 Clowney (Injuries could be the problem) ,

Hate me, Tell me about 20/20 hindsight but I prayed hard in 2014 that we would trade #2 Robinson pick down for a 1st round "7-11" pick plus a late first rounder to a very early 2nd round pick. Then draft either Evans or Beckham , then BAP , then best available receiver. Why? Because the 2014 draft was/will be/ always will be the best draft ever for Wide Receivers! And we didn't draft ( I wasn't the only soul on RamsonDemand who thought along these lines) You know who you are. I'm look at you Mack.

We could have come out with these 3 picks in a row ( Mike Evans or O'dell Beckham Jr) , Aaron Donald, the either ( Brandon Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, or Jordan Mathews)....We would be in the playoffs!

Maybe you say, I'm Monday morning QB'ing. But I thought it was obvious. Trade down, then with our 1st 3 picks, Draft 2 WR's and BPA in 2014.

I screamed in pain when we drafted Robinson. Now Greg Robinson part of the Ramily, I accept him and hope for the best. Yet, I get depressed when thinking of what might have been.

A few of the Wide Receivers drafted in the first 2 rounds of 2014. Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, O'dell Beckham Jr. , Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, Jordan Mathews, Kelvin Benjamin, Brandin Cooks. I
I liked all those players too, but either Robinson, or Matthews was the obvious pick. I have no problem with it. He's getting better, and will continue to get better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be great if we had an uber talented WR right now...but WRs don't complete passes to themselves. IMO, it's the least valuable position in football. Because of how reliant they are on the QB. With our terrible QB play, I don't see having good WRs turning us into a playoff team...especially when our OL gets worse in the process.

We'll see if Robinson pans out. Right now, it looks like he was the wrong pick. But the book isn't written on him yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Clearly they shoulda taken Bortles.

Yeah, our OL was garbage. But they still were all over Bradford's jock and that was a mistake. It's hard to knock them for doing what they did, but with hindsight being 20/20 Bortles should've been the guy there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clearly they shoulda taken Bortles.

Yeah, our OL was garbage. But they still were all over Bradford's jock and that was a mistake. It's hard to knock them for doing what they did, but with hindsight being 20/20 Bortles should've been the guy there.

This is true. Take Bortles. Trade Sam. In hindsight, that's definitely the right move.

bigdog2834

UDFA
Name
Donnie
I studied the 2014 draft like no other. I slogged thru hundreds of hours of game film. I prayed the Rams would either draft Bortles, Watkins, or Khalil Mack, OR ( And this is what I really wanted!) I wanted the Rams to trade our # 2 down to get either WR. Mike Evans or O'dell Beckam Jr. plus a late first round pick. I loved the Aaron Donald pick ( I cheered, but I booed Robinson, even though Robinson is my last name. I am a Robinson. I slurred and booed my surname}

It could be that there was no trade partner available or maybe they just didn't get a deal they liked. You would have to think with Fisher and Snead's draft history that they certainly would have entertained the idea. I'm guessing in the end there was no trade partner or they thought Robinson was better than what they could get with how far a team wanted them to trade back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It could be that there was no trade partner available or maybe they just didn't get a deal they liked. You would have to think with Fisher and Snead's draft history that they certainly would have entertained the idea. I'm guessing in the end there was no trade partner or they thought Robinson was better than what they could get with how far a team wanted them to trade back.

The Bills offered us their 1st (#9), their 2015 1st, and their 2015 4th.

bigdog2834

UDFA
Name
Donnie
The Bills offered us their 1st (#9), their 2015 1st, and their 2015 4th.

Yeah I couldn't remember back that far if we had gotten a decent offer or not. Knowing that, yeah I would have jumped on it lol. Guess they just really liked what they saw in Robinson.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I was not in the Robinson camp, I was hoping for Mack

The thing with GR is, by the time the light turns on he'll be ready for FA, all we will have done was develop him for the highest bidder

A wasted number 2 overall pick yet again on a raw " high upside" tackle

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

The thing with GR is, by the time the light turns on he'll be ready for FA, all we will have done was develop him for the highest bidder

No way, not wasted, really? You really believe he was a wasted pick?

So, who would be playing LT for us?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I couldn't remember back that far if we had gotten a decent offer or not. Knowing that, yeah I would have jumped on it lol. Guess they just really liked what they saw in Robinson.

Well, if we're using pure hindsight, we could have taken it...drafted Matthews or Beckham Jr. and then traded up for Derek Carr. If we're using partial hindsight, I would have turned it down and drafted Bortles.

For who, in your opinion?

They wanted Watkins.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well, if we're using pure hindsight, we could have taken it...drafted Matthews or Beckham Jr. and then traded up for Derek Carr. If we're using partial hindsight, I would have turned it down and drafted Bortles.

They wanted Watkins.
They got him, without giving up their future.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
They made that exact same trade with the Browns to get him.
The Browns.....

He wasn't even the best WR in the draft. That was the argument here, all along. He's good though. No doubt on that.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Or you resign him and he is a rock for another 7 or 8 years so it's not wasted? Sign your own draft picks and don't waste money on free agents is the way to do it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Browns.....

He wasn't even the best WR in the draft. That was the argument here, all along. He's good though. No doubt on that.

Yea. Buffalo traded up from #9 to #4 with the Browns for Watkins.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It would be great if we had an uber talented WR right now...but WRs don't complete passes to themselves. IMO, it's the least valuable position in football. Because of how reliant they are on the QB. With our terrible QB play, I don't see having good WRs turning us into a playoff team...especially when our OL gets worse in the process.

We'll see if Robinson pans out. Right now, it looks like he was the wrong pick. But the book isn't written on him yet.

I disagree about WR being the least valuable position. I think SS LBERS have that honor. A great WR is an every down game changer.

You are right about the QB, without one everyone else on offense is pissing in the wind. The Rams I think have proven that conclusively. I think we needed to go OL in that draft, but like the OP trading down seemed obvious. With our draft position and the abundance of good OL prospects we could have had an OL, Carr to back up Bradford, and probably at least one more 1st in another year. GRob, even if he does turn out to be good, will never be worth the deal we gave up. Definitely a blunder of large proportion. All that for a guy who didn't know how to pass block. It blows my mind each and every time I think about it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree about WR being the least valuable position. I think SS LBERS have that honor. A great WR is an every down game changer.

I don't disagree. But I don't really consider WR and SLB the same thing because SLBers are not full-time players anymore. It's like a FB. I was more speaking about full-time players. That's my mistake. I should have specified.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yea. Buffalo traded up from #9 to #4 with the Browns for Watkins.
My problem with that draft, is not Robinson vs WR, but that we had a dire need at OLT, and the WR draft was so deep, and has proven to be even deeper than thought at the time, that we didn't draft one in round 2 or 3. That would be my bitch. I'm not sour on Robinson, or that we didn't draft Matthews, although, I'd have been fine with Matthews. We needed an OLT, and it is a position that gets harder every year, with the freaks evolving at RDE. Look at past, OLT drafted before Robinson. It's not easy to find a great one.

I think Robinson will be fine, and it was the best move at the time. Matthews doesn't make us a better team, and we could be far worse if Saffold, or Reynolds would be our intended starters at the position. Watkins, does not make us a better team, if we had worse OLT play, and our current QB play. We still need a #1 WR, and I don't think anybody would argue that. If Cooper, would have been in that draft, it would have been a very tough decision for me, but it still would have left of short at the OLT position.

Nothing is guaranteed.